Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
These poor millionaires, forced to compete for money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
I used to watch all the GG guys, but Matt Sharf was a bit much, he's definitely calmed down a bit. I gotta give him some leeway because I think he's a little neurodivergent and he does hit some nice shots.

Infomaniac fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 12, 2022

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I’ve been digging bustajack on YouTube, pretty chill vibe and they can play - they played with Micah from GG recently too

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007

wyoak posted:

I’ve been digging bustajack on YouTube, pretty chill vibe and they can play - they played with Micah from GG recently too

I'll check it out. I love watching brothers play against each other. I'm lucky enough to play with my brothers and it's so fun. The things you can say to your brothers during a match....

Last hole of a scramble I played with my brother in law on my team and my brother and my best golf friend on the other team, I straight up started yelling "wait, wait, wait!" Walking towards my brother when he started back stroke on his putt on 18. He drained it (35, maybe 45ft) big breaking put right to left up hill to win the hole and go 2 up for the match. (I call him the Magic Man because he makes some crazy pitch shots every round. The same round he holed out from 30 yrds by two bouncing to hit the pin and his ball literally rode the pin straight into the cup). The shot would have ended up well off the green if it didn't have the magic on it.

If they would have three put and we would have hit our putt, it would have been all square for the match, so it wasn't as egregious as it sounds, but it was the worst golf etiquette I have ever done and a nice memorable putt to win the poo poo out of the match

Fake edit: they are not brothers in the family sense.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

One of the reasons I think I enjoy GG content is the production quality in addition to the fun. The camera work and editors deserve almost as much credit as the on screen golf talent, it's really well produced and makes it easy to watch. Me and my brother in-law just played 9 holes in my backyard net sim setup and then watched some YouTube rabbit hole and the GG production stuff is really clean.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Echoing the GG love, especially compared to where they started and how often I bailed on videos halfway through because Matt was annoying.

Bobby Fairways would be worth watching no matter what type of channel he had, I just find him really funny and has a good sense of humor.

TXG is still my favorite for equipment reviews.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Suprfli6 posted:

Echoing the GG love, especially compared to where they started and how often I bailed on videos halfway through because Matt was annoying.

Bobby Fairways would be worth watching no matter what type of channel he had, I just find him really funny and has a good sense of humor.

Yeah, it's weird that everyone gives Matt a pass for being annoying as poo poo, where Bubbie [sp?] has legitimate Tourette's Syndrome and is maybe my favorite dude on there

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

Halfway through their Major video with Rick and I'm about over Matt, Bubbie is a freaking treasure though and to hear he is 5 years sober is awesome.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I think Matt actually wants to be famous. He has big theater nerd/drama club energy.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Put up a solid (for me) 50 on 9 holes this morning, no truly terrible shots. Same ball through 7 holes until I decided to punch out through some trees with an 8 iron from 50 yards away and instead hit a full 8 iron well out of bounds. Feeling good about my game.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Suprfli6 posted:

This used to be the case, but ever since they got bought out by Club Champion and Matt got laid off, it hasn’t been the same. The new guy Mac Boucher is good BUT he doesn’t appear in all the review videos, and while Ian's knowledge is unmatched, he shouldn't be the one testing the clubs since his swing is a bit inconsistent and has some goofy delivery characteristics.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Yeah Matt was the closest thing to a robot you could get and I wondered why he wasn't on the channel any more, that sucks. Mac is good at manipulating the club to do some crazy stuff but it seems like reviews from him or Ian definitely require a lot more shots to get a good comparison sample than they did with Matt.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007

Suprfli6 posted:

Yeah Matt was the closest thing to a robot you could get and I wondered why he wasn't on the channel any more, that sucks. Mac is good at manipulating the club to do some crazy stuff but it seems like reviews from him or Ian definitely require a lot more shots to get a good comparison sample than they did with Matt.

Make sure to check out Matt's Youtube channel to keep seeing him golf.

E: https://youtube.com/c/MattBloisGolf

Infomaniac fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 15, 2022

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
I still pretty much only watch Crossfield videos, it occasionally the fried eggs golf guys and their homemade course.

There's something about the others that I never really clicked with.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

The recent Fried Eggs video where they set their mower to the correct height and go over the whole process was pretty cool.

We’re in a drought watch in my part of NY, and today was also sunny with a steady 10mph wind which means really crazy distances if you hit burned out spots in the fairways. I’ve been trying to hit my driver a bit lower to get more rollout and after practicing for a while I figured some stuff out. Hole #2 is a flat 310 yards and today one of my drives was 68 yards past the pin. Hole 3 is a slightly downhill par 5 and I hit a drive 390 which was about 20 yards past my previous best drive ever on that hole. It’s a bit frustrating though since my big member-guest tournament was last weekend and I was hitting these high weak fades off the tee and really played poorly overall. Even though I feel like I’m swinging down with my driver now, I am getting ball speeds into the upper 160s which I’m really happy with but makes me feel like I may need to tweak my driver settings or get fitted again if I stick with this swing.

Infomaniac posted:

Thanks for this, I hadn’t looked yet but I’ll definitely keep an eye on him. Matt Blois Golf is his channel for anyone else that’s interested.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Infomaniac posted:

What's his name? Or the name of the channel? His content sounds good.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
For Golf YouTube I'm all-in on Golf Sidekick, he's hilarious and promotes a stripped down, no BS approach to course management. It's helped me a lot.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Finished the first round of my club championship today and finished double par double to shoot 78. I’ve been playing so bad that I’m just happy to break 80.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Fowler hit two water hazards on his way to a 9 on the 18th. And despite being down three strokes going into that hole....my bet of Lipsky over Fowler magically cashed. Which is good because I've been cruising at about a 30% matchup hit rate these past couple of weeks. Getting absolutely clobbered.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I got a 7 wood and just tried it for the first time. Holy poo poo I finally have a 200yard club. And it's so easy to launch. Love this thing.
Also broke 100 for the first time with a 97 on a par 70 course.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

When I broke my thumb I was playing one handed for 2 months and I religiously used my Dad’s 7 wood off the tee. It was a pleasure to hit. I could put it 175 down the middle no problem one handed with an easy rear end swing.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

ChiTownEddie posted:

I got a 7 wood and just tried it for the first time. Holy poo poo I finally have a 200yard club. And it's so easy to launch. Love this thing.
Also broke 100 for the first time with a 97 on a par 70 course.

I've always favored my 5 wood as my most consistent club.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I've always favored my 5 wood as my most consistent club.

When nothing works, hit the club that always works. Five wood all day.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

lol wtf is this playoff. Just bad shots and bad breaks everywhere except on the greens.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Oh my God this playoff lmao

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Hit it Will, be a hero

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I don't blame him for not hitting it, but if he did he'd be a legend pretty much no matter the outcome.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Play smart, win smart. What a fun playoff.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I’m assuming Will’s ball looked playable from the tee and that’s why Straka didn’t bail out to the middle of the green but that’s still a pretty bad mistake.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Shot a 91 with an 11 (lol) during the second round. My club is very punishing if you’re offline, and my driver decided to take the day off, so it was a tough day.

That said, I love tournament golf and was glad to see that I could implement some of the things I’ve been working on in a tournament.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I did something stupid and went to the PGA store and looked at new putters. Now, I don't really need a new putter as my TM Spider X is just fine, but I haven't been putting well lately and figured why not, let's just test some out and see what's up.

I tried probably every style there and found I was rolling the ball really well/had the best feeling off the face with the squareback style. So then I grabbed that style from just about every manufacture. Hit Ping/Mizuno/Cobra/Scotty. gently caress me if that Scotty didn't feel amazing and roll the best outta those. I was all set to buy it and get up to the counter with the demo model they had only to be told they have no Scotty's in stock in the store and neither did the other PGA store about 30 minutes away. Well I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Then I proceeded to go home, join a Scotty Cameron buy/sell FB page and find a brand new Select Squareback 2 being sold for less than what it would've cost me in store and it should be here by Wednesday lol

I know it's just a basic bitch Scotty but it freaking rolled so sweet and that sound off the face was amazing so looking forward to trying it out during my rounds this weekend. Next question is do I send it off to the custom shop for a little customization!?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mattfl posted:

Then I proceeded to go home, join a Scotty Cameron buy/sell FB page and find a brand new Select Squareback 2 being sold for less than what it would've cost me in store and it should be here by Wednesday lol
Dammit, now I'm gonna have to try to find a replacement for the Studio Stainless Newport 2 that I should've just kept. Hopefully I can find one that isn't too beat up for not too much (not likely)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Dammit, now I'm gonna have to try to find a replacement for the Studio Stainless Newport 2 that I should've just kept. Hopefully I can find one that isn't too beat up for not too much (not likely)

There are some expensive rear end putters that come across this facebook group I joined. I'm talking like 4-8k in price, which to me is just crazy. They are all limited edition circle T ones, but still, crazy.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I found this to be a very interesting and informative little swing less that Rick Shiels gave to Erik Anders Lang.

Also, if you're not watching EAL's stuff on Skratch or Random Golf Club on YouTube you should be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-uVUUMGroQ

The swing issues that Shiels addresses also exactly mirror my issues, reverting to a weak grip, too often picking the ball so I rarely take proper divot and the ball goes 9 million feet high.

I play a little cut which misses as a balloon right or if I try to save it with my hands turns into a beautiful draw that goes 15 yards longer than it should and ends up way long left of my initial target from setting up for a cut.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

My Wednesday league partner has a ridiculously long backswing and bad sequencing on the downswing so he doesn’t hit any of his clubs as far as he should and plays a slice with every club. Every now and then he’ll hit a straight ball that goes a lot farther than he’s expecting and his comment is always “oops I really turned my body on that one”. I have been playing with him for like 5 years now and he has never adjusted his swing at all when I’ve tried giving him advice so now I just bite my tongue every time he says something like that.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Suprfli6 posted:

It's been a while since I've kept up with it, but I was watching TXG heavily when they were purchased by CC.

The story, as I understand it, is that Matt wanted ownership-level pay/position (like Ian got) for the merger, and CC didn't agree. So, he was cut loose. It sucks that things turned out that way, especially since Matt was an insane robot. Mac is definitely cool(er), and it's perhaps more than coincidence they found a lefty from Canada to replace Matt.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Does anyone have a recommendation for go-to drills to get rid of the yips?

Last week I had two of the best 9 I've ever played. Still haven't broken 40 but shot a 42 and a 44 back-to-back, which is huge for me. The 42 include a chip-in par save, an eagle putt that missed by about 6 inches, and the most consistent iron play I've had. Granted, these were at municipal courses with a slopes of 120 and 122

Yesterday I played a tougher course with a slope of 136, and the wheels fell off. The majority of drives were out of bounds, I started hooking all of my irons again, couldn't chip to save my life. Just a miserable round of golf.

I figured I'd spend some time today hitting some wedges and irons off the mat to build some confidence, and it totally backfired. All the swing thoughts that worked well a week ago are failing, and I was hitting everything fat and off the heel. Hell, I missed a few badly enough that I missed the entire net.

I've got my league tomorrow night and a work outing on Thursday -- at this point I just don't want to embarrass myself.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

If you are hitting it off the hosel, you are very likely standing too close to the ball. Also, hitting off mats is bad, as is overthinking your swing.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Get hosed, Fatrick, you loving crybaby.

https://www.si.com/golf/news/patric...date=2022-08-17

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Omerta posted:

If you are hitting it off the hosel, you are very likely standing too close to the ball. Also, hitting off mats is bad, as is overthinking your swing.

“Just hit the loving ball” my swing thought