Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Good God ya'll!

What is it good for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Kameh posted:

If you're losing distance on your wedges, and you feel like cutting under the ball, then you're scooping it. You're delivering the wedge (already a high-lofted club) with more loft at the ball than you need.

At impact, feel like your lead wrist is bowed like you're trying to backhand the golf ball down into the ground. This will present the clubhead to the ball with less loft, and less loft = more distance.

Thanks for this. I thought this was also good read for several reasons while researching. https://wojdylogolf.com/56-degree-wedge-high-short/

edit: I really like this guy's writing. Reminds me a little of Lewis Grizzard.

quote:

What the ball actually does is it starts about five yards right, takes off like an airplane and then slowly drops back to the left. A pure draw drops or falls back to the left, it doesn’t spin back with a hook. When you play with a golfer that hits the ball high and it falls back to the left you know he is a very good player. Do not bet this type of golfer no matter what his handicap is.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 21, 2022

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

RCarr posted:

I had a half hour range session where I hit all my drives straight and far.

And then proceeded to slice every drive on the course like 200 yards.

Golf!
I am trying to get back into the game and built a simulator in the garage.

Irons are coming around, but every drive has like a 8-10 degree inside out swing path and a 12-14 degree open face. All unplayable push fades basically.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I had a lesson last night because my consistency had become even worse over the past 4-6 weeks. Basically the instructor said I am not using nearly enough of my lower body and thinks that as a runner its because my hip flexors are super tight. So he had me stand with my front foot like...pointed out to where I am hitting, which feels and looks insane, but it helped! I basically instantly was adding 5-10yards and my miss-hits were so much less bad. But with so much more hip rotation and forward movement I definitely lost accuracy until I figure out this timing.
I guess I need a lot of range time before my golf trip in...oh poo poo 1 week lol

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

gvibes posted:

I am trying to get back into the game and built a simulator in the garage.

Irons are coming around, but every drive has like a 8-10 degree inside out swing path and a 12-14 degree open face. All unplayable push fades basically.

This has been me all summer. I took a couple of lessons from a swing coach and I’m not swinging over the top anymore, so my swing path is almost always a few degrees out. I’m stoked about that! Every swing of my life prior to that was an over-the-top hack cutting across the ball.

But gently caress me, my face control has not gotten any better. For every draw I put out into the fairway, I have five shots that either start right and cut impossibly hard to the left, or start right and keep drifting farther right. Three weeks ago I found one of my balls in a green side bunker two holes away lmao.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Last night was my final league night of the season, and I shot -5 for 9 holes after an eagle-par-eagle-birdie start. First hole is a driveable par 4 and my tee shot was 2 feet from the cup. Third hole is a par 5 and I had 218 to the pin for my second shot, knock a hybrid to 4 feet and drain it. Both holes were into a bit of a headwind and we had soft conditions because of some rain this week and I loved it compared to the rock hard greens we had to deal with all summer.

I just bought a Ping 425 LST for a good price on ebay to try it out against my 410 Plus that I've been gaming for 2 years, and I was slicing both of them. Decided to grab the Mizuno STZ driver I bought last year and hated and was hitting a straight ball that I could draw or cut. For whatever reason it seems like the lighter Mizuno head that I was duck-hooking in the spring is now working a lot better for me than the heavier Pings that I'm struggling to square up. This is after the 410 Plus being the longest and most consistent driver I've ever had since I got fitted for it, without any conscious changes to my swing or setup or anything. Golf.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Suprfli6 posted:

I just bought a Ping 425 LST for a good price on ebay to try it out against my 410 Plus that I've been gaming for 2 years, and I was slicing both of them. Decided to grab the Mizuno STZ driver I bought last year and hated and was hitting a straight ball that I could draw or cut. For whatever reason it seems like the lighter Mizuno head that I was duck-hooking in the spring is now working a lot better for me than the heavier Pings that I'm struggling to square up. This is after the 410 Plus being the longest and most consistent driver I've ever had since I got fitted for it, without any conscious changes to my swing or setup or anything. Golf.

Good afternoon sir, welcome to golf.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the guys who left the pga tour to join liv after owgr said no liv players would receive ranking points are now mad that they are not receiving owgr ranking points

https://twitter.com/NoLayingUp/status/1572225837138841604

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Suprfli6 posted:

I ran into problems with my 410 when I put a shaft in it that didn't have the 8gram weight in the butt like how they come from Ping. It felt weird until I put one in.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Weedle posted:

the guys who left the pga tour to join liv after owgr said no liv players would receive ranking points are now mad that they are not receiving owgr ranking points

https://twitter.com/NoLayingUp/status/1572225837138841604

Makes you wonder how much of this was communicated to the players when they were defecting. I wouldn't be surprised if Liv was like "oh yeah they say that but no way are they going to enforce it"

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I don’t wonder about that at all.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hey guys I’m curious, how bad is the PGA tournament if there are golf players willing to commit reputational and career suicide and be kicked out of their own home countries federations ( like what happened to Henrik Stenson of sweden) to go join LIV? Is LIV really giving them THAT much money? I dunno it seems to be one of those harebrained money wasters Saudi princes go on only to drop it after a little bit when they get bored of wasting their country’s own money.

It seems like an incredibly stupid and short sighted love to trust in Saudi PR campaign as some sort of stable career path.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yes, they are giving them THAT much money. Their contracts have all been reported upon, just take a look.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey guys I’m curious, how bad is the PGA tournament if there are golf players willing to commit reputational and career suicide and be kicked out of their own home countries federations ( like what happened to Henrik Stenson of sweden) to go join LIV? Is LIV really giving them THAT much money? I dunno it seems to be one of those harebrained money wasters Saudi princes go on only to drop it after a little bit when they get bored of wasting their country’s own money.

It seems like an incredibly stupid and short sighted love to trust in Saudi PR campaign as some sort of stable career path.

They gave Cam Smith a reported $100 million USD just to come play for them. It's really hard for someone to say no to that when that's probably his potential career earnings on the PGA tour. The money is just absolutely insane, these guys can retire in 5 years if LIV folds.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Ok I just looked at the contracts and holy poo poo I wish I was a mediocre white golfer right now

Pretty loving infuriating to see some loser get tens of millions of dollars while I struggle to make ends meet in this poo poo hole country.

How much nicer my life would be if I were a loser mediocre blue eyes white golfer so I can fleece these loving idiots

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 25, 2022

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Settle down, Beavis.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Al-Saqr posted:

Ok I just looked at the contracts and holy poo poo I wish I was a mediocre white golfer right now

Pretty loving infuriating to see some loser get tens of millions of dollars while I struggle to make ends meet in this poo poo hole country.

How much nicer my life would be if I were a loser mediocre blue eyes white golfer so I can fleece these loving idiots

Start practicing.

also I’m in love with this Tom Kim kid. I hope the Ints win tomorrow, he’ll probably jump in a lake or something.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Mcqueen posted:

Start practicing.

also I’m in love with this Tom Kim kid. I hope the Ints win tomorrow, he’ll probably jump in a lake or something.

Singles start in 20 minutes which is very much today

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Al-Saqr posted:

They are earning millions of dollars for just showing up. PGA events, you don’t get paid unless you make the cut after 2 days of golf. Which, you know, incentivizes good golf.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Incredible final round of the French Open. One of the hardest courses in the world (hosted the Ryder cup) and this guy shoots -9 62 to win it. Insane.

Also probably one of the best shots under pressure this year on 72nd hole https://youtu.be/k2iGWJ1zUwI (8:40)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

https://www.yahoo.com/now/charlie-woods-shoots-career-low-223544291.html

I just want to say that I played this course on Saturday and loving Tiger was there on Sunday.

edit: And now that I check Charlie played both days so he was probably there the same day I was too, wtf lol

mattfl fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 26, 2022

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

mattfl posted:

https://www.yahoo.com/now/charlie-woods-shoots-career-low-223544291.html

I just want to say that I played this course on Saturday and loving Tiger was there on Sunday.

edit: And now that I check Charlie played both days so he was probably there the same day I was too, wtf lol
Shot 68 and finished 11 strokes back, wtf.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

gvibes posted:

Shot 68 and finished 11 strokes back, wtf.

36 hole event, he shot 80 the first day.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What’s the best place to buy secondhand clubs? I can’t find where it was discussed ITT.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

RCarr posted:

What’s the best place to buy secondhand clubs? I can’t find where it was discussed ITT.

I've had good luck with a mixture of facebook marketplace and callaway preowned.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Callaway Preowned has always been decent. Not great, not terrible. There's some real deals to be had on rock bottom golf.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
ebay is still okay as long as it's from someone who isn't a re-seller and puts in some effort in the listing and/or even includes receipts of their club ho purchase that they are now selling

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Hey golf goons, working on my swing and have a launch monitor net setup and realized I actually don't know how rotation is supposed to go. I've had lessons in the past and have some more scheduled for next month but curious what opinions here are.

Do you go: knees>hips>shoulders first - ie. rotating from the ground up through the back swing, or shoulders>hips>knees letting your upper body drive the tempo and swing pace. I feel like this is something I should know but I don't. Or is it simultaneous. In the past I had a little chant in my head - 'knees, hips, shoulders, shoulders, hips, knees' but having hit a ton of balls lately I think I may have it backwards. Or I'm overthinking it. I'm a slow swinger - 80 - 100 with a driver, and have been shooting 85 - 95 ish.

e; for practical context this came about when I was struggling to hit my 5 wood well, a club I normally hit ok without thinking, and I realized when I'm not thinking about it I start rotating with my shoulders, then down through to the ground. So I stopped my previous mantra/approach and it seemed to help. But in the past I've been taught to make sure you're rotating early with the lower body - knees - to get fully around. So now I don't know what I'm doing lol. Which part should move first oh no I'm back at the beginning!

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Sep 27, 2022

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

squirrelzipper posted:

Hey golf goons, working on my swing and have a launch monitor net setup and realized I actually don't know how rotation is supposed to go. I've had lessons in the past and have some more scheduled for next month but curious what opinions here are.

Do you go: knees>hips>shoulders first - ie. rotating from the ground up through the back swing, or shoulders>hips>knees letting your upper body drive the tempo and swing pace. I feel like this is something I should know but I don't. Or is it simultaneous. In the past I had a little chant in my head - 'knees, hips, shoulders, shoulders, hips, knees' but having hit a ton of balls lately I think I may have it backwards. Or I'm overthinking it. I'm a slow swinger - 80 - 100 with a driver, and have been shooting 85 - 95 ish.

e; for practical context this came about when I was struggling to hit my 5 wood well, a club I normally hit ok without thinking, and I realized when I'm not thinking about it I start rotating with my shoulders, then down through to the ground. So I stopped my previous mantra/approach and it seemed to help. But in the past I've been taught to make sure you're rotating early with the lower body - knees - to get fully around. So now I don't know what I'm doing lol. Which part should move first oh no I'm back at the beginning!

My backswing works best when I'm thinking strictly tempo and not at all about which body parts are starting it. Instead of thinking body parts, I think "1, 2, 3, swing" or "back aaaaaand set". For drills, I think something like "perpetual motion" (make full swings back and forward without stopping) or "step" drill (same as perpetual motion, but you step with the front foot to start the downswing, then step with the back foot to start the reverse swing) both help with feeling the sequencing without over thinking it. Also sometimes a small forward press of the club before the backswing can help to set the body's position and tempo for the actual takeaway.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

squirrelzipper posted:

If you're talking about the backswing, generally the first move should be shoulders/arms/hands together in a "one-piece" takeaway for the first 1/4 of the backswing, but your hips and knees will also be moving slightly. The problem is that without seeing your swing, we could be encouraging you to make things worse.

The other thing is that what you feel like you're doing and what you're actually doing are almost always different. A good teacher will figure out what YOU need to feel in order to promote a better motion.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

squirrelzipper posted:

This feels like huge overthinking to me and a recipe for a Charles Barkley-esque swing.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

This feels like huge overthinking to me and a recipe for a Charles Barkley-esque swing.

Thanks all - yeah I’m probably overthinking it I’m going to not worry about it and let my instructor help with what’s probably a bunch of real issues…grip, alignment, stance lol

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
"Feel isn't real"

It's important to keep in mind that what you think you are doing may not be what you are actually doing. Lessons and video camera will go a long way.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

daslog posted:

"Feel isn't real"

It's important to keep in mind that what you think you are doing may not be what you are actually doing. Lessons and video camera will go a long way.

This is the best advice. To me, a good driver swing feels about half power and like the bottom of the swing is about a foot off the ground.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://awfulannouncing.com/golf/liv-golf-near-deal-buy-airtime-fs1.html

I'm sure you'll all be shocked and amazed and stunned to hear that the Blood Money Tour is working on a broadcasting deal with FS1, and that the deal is being brokered by Jared Kushner.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DJExile posted:

I'm sure you'll all be shocked and amazed and stunned to hear that the Blood Money Tour is working on a broadcasting deal with FS1, and that the deal is being brokered by Jared Kushner.

Hard pass on in any way watching those tournies. Just, eh, don't care, and find the whole thing a step up in the distasteful very rich people competitions all pro sports are.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

DJExile posted:

The only vaguely interesting thing about this is that LIV are trying to buy airtime from FS1 like it's public access TV (if you've watched FS1 it's about a half step above that in production value anyway), it's in no way a licensing deal between the two so LIV aren't receiving any money.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

torgeaux posted:

Hard pass on in any way watching those tournies. Just, eh, don't care, and find the whole thing a step up in the distasteful very rich people competitions all pro sports are.

Agreed, the product is poo poo. If there's no cut and you're already handsomely paid - what's the point.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

canadianclassic posted:

Just in time for winter, I'm finding my game.

Last year I had a low of 92 and averaged around 97-103. After some lessons and lots of loving around I've shot 89 twice and a bad round is around 93. HCP is down to 18.7.

If my ball striking and putting would just line up for one of these rounds I think I'd easily shoot ~85... Last time I played I shot 91 but only used 28 putts and made some great chips. Had 5 lost balls because I couldn't hit my irons...

Today I shot 89 but had a bunch of 3 putts that brought my total to 36 but my irons were going REALLY well. 5 iron is carrying 200, everything going mostly straight, etc.

Love this game but hate it at the same time.

Anyone struggling: lessons, lessons, lessons with a qualified coach.

Annd played again and shot 87 despite starting with a double on 1 and a triple on 2. Handicap is officially bogey golf. At this rate I'll be shooting in the 70s before winter right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/BFQuinn/status/1575324322142584832

https://twitter.com/BFQuinn/status/1575326488420818945

Patrick Reed continues to have an extremely normal one