Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Like my favorite hockey teams (:suicide:), I have decided to take up golfing. Unlike said teams, I haven't golfed in 11 years. I understand practice makes perfect, but how far should I go before getting lessons from a golf pro?

I started playing against after 15 years last August. I wish i had done the lesson first, as I would have been able to stop a lot of the bad habits that I developed when I came back. I would say "today"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
So I spent a solid hour and a half in a Golf Galaxy last night hitting clubs, having a driving competition, arguing with one of the "pros" and buying nothing. Originally I went in on my way home to buy some golf balls, Taylormade Tour Preferred for those that care. I like them more than a ProV1. Anyway, they for some reason don't even carry them, at least in that store. They had RBZ and those new Project (a) balls. Argument came in when I asked the pro where the TP's were and he pointed at the project a and said that's the "new" version, but after like 5 minutes of arguing to him that they were (a) amateur balls for people with like 14-18HCP and how much he didn't know poo poo he said, "well why not just buy some ProV1's like everyone else then?" Great response if you want that sale, bud.

Next I moved over to the irons and was looking over the selection some nice clubs coming out look wise. Some little kid, maybe 13 was trying to destroy a demo driver in the simulator so I went over there and waited my turn. I wanted to hit the R15 the new Bertha, the new Burner for shits and giggles and the new Titleist D15. The R15 I hit was decent, similar to my R1, felts a little softer off the face and had a more pronounced face on it which looked weird. Distance wise it was the the same as I would expect from my R1 though. Also tried the 430cc head R15 and it felt much more crisp on hits.The new big bertha was pretty good, felt nice, had a good weight in my hands nothing to note on that really. The new burner was about what I expected having had burners in the past, basically was a painted RBZ 2.0 if I had to compare it to something. I'm not sure what type of simulator they use, think it began with an O - but no real way for me to judge distance since it didn't seem to count roll out on the ball for distance, just carry. For some numbers I was consistent on all clubs at 115-117mph swing speed. The R15 was carrying on the screen approx 280 yards on average across 10 best hits/swings. the D15 was 278 avg. The burner and bertha were both 270. I don't remember the other stats on the screen, it literally popped up and went away in a 1/2 a second so I couldn't really get launch, ball speed etc. For reference, on the course my R1 swing speed is 117mph average and I usually average around 305 yard total distance in warm weather, no idea what the carry is. I will say the balls in the sim were poo poo so that could have much to do with it as well, one of them even had a hole in it that I kept forgetting about until I hit it and could hear the difference. Somehow I had picked up a small group of weekend hackers watching me hit balls, and I thought they wanted to test clubs so I moved out of the sim for them since I had been in there for 20 minutes. Oddly enough they wanted to have a "long drive" competition with me so myself, 2 random dudes and the guy working at the simulator all took turns with the same club trying to murder the ball. The 2 random guys were pretty poo poo, mostly insane slices from swinging too hard, the employee was pretty drat consistent up the middle, but he couldn't get anything over 270y. So I 'won' - Hit that D15 290 carry with a 121mph swing speed, almost fell out of my nikes like bubba.

Another 20 minutes had passed, but the gf still hadn't called wondering why I wasn't home so I decided to hit some irons, because I am interested in replacing mine sometime soon. I won't get into all the details for each club because I hit a lot of 7 irons. I will say the new Nike Vapor Pro irons felt pretty drat awesome. The pro-combo was also nice. The extreme game improvement Vapor speeds were absolute poo poo. They were heavy and clunky. If you're in the market for extreme game improvement look elsewhere. I however am not the demographic for those clubs, I just wanted to hit it anyway. The pro's hit like a dream though, like 185 7iron consistent, had like a 22* launch angle so I was hitting them stupid high which is pretty normal for me. Moved on to the taylormade clubs. The RSi TP irons were also pretty legit, felt very similar to the nike's and their middle of the range RSi2 was even pretty nice for a game improvement. Then I hit drat SLDR 7 iron, and it was stupid. The sim tracked it at 203 yards, with a 7 iron. Not sure who those clubs are for though, maybe 10-14 hcp players that need more distance? Either way they felt nice. Sadly they didn't have any Tour Preferred MB's to try out because that is the club I have been eyeballing for awhile now. Out of all the clubs I hit though the true shinning star was definitely the Callaway Apex Pro's - they hadn't really been on my radar at all. Mishits weren't very forgiving, but it's basically a blade so I didn't really expect it to be, but drat on flush hits they feel so nice. They weren't SLDR levels of stupid distance, but I pegged the 7 iron 185 average, also tried to shape the ball different ways and they were pretty easy to hit a draw or fade with on command. I'd still like to get the Vapor Pro, TP MC and The Apex Pro's all together for more demoing, but it's down to those clubs for sure. Of course the guy tried to sell me on the Apex since it's the club he uses and he thinks it's the best overall. They were also selling them for 1100 bucks when I can get them new online for 850 from Callaway :D

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 2, 2015

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

thebushcommander posted:

I'm not sure what type of simulator they use, think it began with an O

It might have been an Optishot, which is what I have in my attic. It's basically the cheapest (but pretty ok) simulator you can get. It's nice in that it tells you club head speed, face angle, and path.. but that's it.

Unrelated : Bandage came off my left hand carpal tunnel surgery today. initial trials for a golf swing are UNPLEASANT. Probably be a few more weeks before i can even swing anything.

spoilered for gruesomeness :

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Nerdrock posted:

It might have been an Optishot, which is what I have in my attic. It's basically the cheapest (but pretty ok) simulator you can get. It's nice in that it tells you club head speed, face angle, and path.. but that's it.

Unrelated : Bandage came off my left hand carpal tunnel surgery today. initial trials for a golf swing are UNPLEASANT. Probably be a few more weeks before i can even swing anything.

spoilered for gruesomeness :

It wasn't an OptiShot, the cameras and tracking items were mounted in the ceiling and the side walls and in front. Was pretty decent though and it has me wanting to build a golf sim of my own. Now I just need 12,000 dollars.

Edit: Also, that's gross. Hopefully you'll be back swinging soon.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ow.

Let that thing heal up first. You'll be back into it soon :shobon:

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

thebushcommander posted:

It wasn't an OptiShot, the cameras and tracking items were mounted in the ceiling and the side walls and in front. Was pretty decent though and it has me wanting to build a golf sim of my own. Now I just need 12,000 dollars.

Edit: Also, that's gross. Hopefully you'll be back swinging soon.

Ok, good. I would chide them for using a sim that costs less than most of the sets of clubs they're using it to try and sell.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

DJExile posted:

My god those courses look spectacular.

Yeah, it's priced in CA moon dollars too, so the exchange rates make it pretty favorable. I did the math and my gf and I could play 5 rounds there for less than we could play 3 rounds at nice courses in Hilton head (and we live in Ga).

I'm almost certainly gonna go. If so, I'll write a trip report.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Holy poo poo, that hand.........was that from video gaming or something? Horrible dude, get better.

Callaway Apex Pro's are the real deal..........I have the regular Apex because I am an old broken 13 hcp and love the things. What is weird is that the Pro's aren't that much harder to hit.

Discount Dans out of Oregon kicks the poo poo out of any other retailer so if anyone is pondering new sticks...go there.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Keyser S0ze posted:

Holy poo poo, that hand.........was that from video gaming or something? Horrible dude, get better.

27 years of video gaming and computer poo poo. Started all that when I was about 5.

Right hand gets done in roughly a week.

Edit : that was taken immediately after removing the bandage. It's still gruesome, but the color has gotten a bit less concerning than is shown in the photo.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 2, 2015

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I have a round booked for Sunday with the family and am super excited. Yesterday I got to hit my Bridgestones outside for the first time and loved them, they feel a lot better than my previous set, plus I gained quite a bit of height and a little distance too.

I must have done something weird with my swing while hitting into a net this winter though; every single iron shot was a substantial draw, which I could straighten out pretty well when I wanted to. Unfortunately my 3w and driver were appalling hooks that never got up into the air and would probably be less distance than hitting a 7i. Luckily it looks like the course we're playing should be manageable hitting a hybrid off the tee on almost every hole, I definitely need to figure out what's going wrong asap though.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Tiger is going to play in the masters! Will he withdraw to injury before he misses the cut or will he suck it up and just miss the cut like a regular?

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

daslog posted:

Tiger is going to play in the masters! Will he withdraw to injury before he misses the cut or will he suck it up and just miss the cut like a regular?

What are the gambling odds of him winning?

Huskers
May 9, 2009

EnsGDT posted:

What are the gambling odds of him winning?

Looks like something in the 40-50 / 1 range. Dunno if that's been updated since he's officially playing now.

I think it's going to be a disaster. I know he's Tiger F'ing Woods, but guy with short game woes (especially chipping), teeing it up without playing much/at all, at Augusta with the tightest lies and most punishing greens... yeah this could be embarrassing. He has to come back -somewhere-, and you know he's major hunting, but if this goes badly who knows what it does to him mentally.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

daslog posted:

Tiger might make the cut because the Masters field is (relatively) weak, but he definitely won't contend for the title. Too many good players playing good golf for that.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Apparently he played with 2 members yesterday and shot a 76 and still has chipping problems. I don't expect him to make the cut.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Calling it now - Tiger wins by 10 strokes.

Seriously though, he'll probably end up just barely on the wrong side of the cut line on Friday. With his short game issues, his best chance is to hope that the rain expected for Friday/Saturday shows up and softens the course up.

You can get away with hitting the ball all over the place at Augusta, but if it stays dry and they can keep the course as hard and tight as they want to, he's hosed.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

mattfl posted:

Apparently he played with 2 members yesterday and shot a 76 and still has chipping problems. I don't expect him to make the cut.

Augusta is still his playground. He'll get his reps in this week before the tournament, too. His worst-ball 66 at his home course is, aside from being almost unfathomable, a HUGE step in the right direction. Will he win? Probably not. Contend? Probably so. Make the cut? Absolutely.

Unrelated: Played 18 with my dad, brother in law, and friend. Brother in law is new to golf (36 hdcp) and has some back issues, but he plays an old man draw that goes maybe 200 yards. I gave Dad and friend 16 strokes at the beginning of the round, but it wasn't a close race after nine, so dad suggested he pair up with my friend and I pair up with BIL, we add up partner scores for the hole, and we see who wins the back nine. I started falling apart on the last few holes, going double - par - double for 15-17. We were down by 1 going into the last hole.

It's a replica of 18 at Doral. Friend takes an 8 on the hole after finding the water twice. Dad takes double, BIL stays dry but three putts for an 8. I need par or better to win. After messing up so many chances on the back nine, I put it all together when it mattered. Drive right down the middle, PW to ten feet below the hole, straight up the hill, and I knew the putt was in as soon as I hit it. Man, that felt awesome. Then I turned around and threw my ball into the lake because eff that hole.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
566: Days since Woods completed an official Tour event under par

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Speaking of the Masters, are we doing a dedicated SAS thread, or should we keep it in here?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EnsGDT posted:

Speaking of the Masters, are we doing a dedicated SAS thread, or should we keep it in here?
I'll post one on Monday.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Whoever suggested the Ping G25, thanks. I just bought one off Ebay used, and it's an amazingly easy to swing club.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Are you guys watching this? Cause Holmes is 7 under through 9. :staredog:

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Update

9 under through 13. Good god.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holmes was out of his mind. That was a hell of a round.

Spieth has been a blast to watch lately too.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

daslog posted:

566: Days since Woods completed an official Tour event under par

:dogbutton:

I dunno what the odds actually are at the books right now, but I do know that I just plunked down $3.50 in my SportsBetting app on "Tiger to win" and I stand to win $85 & change. So maybe somewhere just south of 25:1?

(Don't you judge me. It was left over from the free five bucks they gave me for the Final Four weekend.)

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

My excursion down to southern PA for the weekend was a success. The course we went to was a bit longer than what I usually play and had a ton of bunkers but only a few holes seemed tight and 3h off the tee was plenty long enough. It was also in pretty good shape and was not crowded at all, and the Hot Deal price from golfnow of $28 per person was great.

65 and sunny yesterday on the course, now I'm back home (3 hours north) and had to scrape half an inch of ice off my windshield this morning. Some local courses might be open next week but nothing will be in decent shape for probably close to a month. I really need to move south.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 6, 2015

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Oh god the weather is still poo poo here, right hand surgery is Friday, and first week of Golf League is 3 weeks from tonight.

I tried a couple of swings yesterday... weakness in my hand left me only able to swing (tolerate) about 1/2 power. Guess it's more putting practice for me.

At this rate I'll score the same as I did last season. Embarrass myself the first couple months, then start getting more competent, watch my handicap drop 10 strokes, and get called a sandbagger.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2015/04/what-yips-tiger-woods-arrives.html

Fake it 'til you feel it? Either way, I cannot wait. I'm taking off Wednesday and Friday. I'll be playing 36 Wednesday and then watching the Par 3 on DVR when I get home. Friday, I'll try to play in the morning unless the rain comes in. If so, I'll just plop down on the couch with a 12 pack.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kameh posted:

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2015/04/what-yips-tiger-woods-arrives.html

Fake it 'til you feel it? Either way, I cannot wait. I'm taking off Wednesday and Friday. I'll be playing 36 Wednesday and then watching the Par 3 on DVR when I get home. Friday, I'll try to play in the morning unless the rain comes in. If so, I'll just plop down on the couch with a 12 pack.

I Want To Believe

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Where's the Masters thread?? LYMAN

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ironlung posted:

Where's the Masters thread?? LYMAN
So sorry: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3711828

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Can I get a swing check? Still backing out of it a little, but I'm a lot more synced up than I used to be.

https://youtu.be/BlHg66zoNPU

Also, I'm going to Sage Valley next weekend, which is probably my favorite course ever--maybe second to Seminole. Super jacked about that. I'm gonna practice a ton this weekend so I can put up some low numbers.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Omerta posted:

Can I get a swing check? Still backing out of it a little, but I'm a lot more synced up than I used to be.

https://youtu.be/BlHg66zoNPU

Also, I'm going to Sage Valley next weekend, which is probably my favorite course ever--maybe second to Seminole. Super jacked about that. I'm gonna practice a ton this weekend so I can put up some low numbers.

Things that are jumping out to me:

Your left hand grip (can't quite get a good view of it) looks a little weak to me.

Check it at set up and see how it looks, cause I can't really see it.

Your set up posture and hands are really close to your body, which is pushing your weight back on to your heels.

This is the grip and posture video that I always go back to for my swing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6UdyBiJcS4

Club face looks a little closed at this point in your swing. That's on the way up, btw.

Try those things and see what happens.

Fair warning, I am not a teaching professional, I'm just basing these off my swing checkpoints that I look for when I practice :)

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
3rd game of the year today, round in 137. :sigh: Wouldn't be as bad if I wasn't playing with 2 guys hitting just under 100.

Finally managed to get out of a sand-trap in one shot and then overshot my putt just to practise another 5 hacks trying to scoop it out the beach :banjo: so that's something

I'm not taking clumps out of the ground as much as when I first started (last year) but I'm more than capable of scuffing up my shots, I'm always impressed by my main golfing companion who always gets the ball airborne and would be unhappy to hit over 80.

He's got about +15 years of experience on me but still it's a little demoralising when he's knocking it on the green in 2 and I'm clattering it forward 50 years each shot :laugh:

God I love Golf, it's just a horrible catch-22 where it would be more fun to get better but also more frustrating when it doesn't work :argh:

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Ramagamma, have you ever gone for lessons? If you wanna blow your friends out of the water, that is the best place to start :)

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

EnsGDT posted:

Ramagamma, have you ever gone for lessons? If you wanna blow your friends out of the water, that is the best place to start :)

After two lessons, I went from shooting 125 to 105. It's completely worth it.

Edit: I also bought a Ping G25 Driver, 3 Wood, and 5 Wood used off ebay. I'm amazed at how forgiving they are.

daslog fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 12, 2015

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

I feel as though we need a Spieth related thread title change. Thoughts?

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

EnsGDT posted:

I feel as though we need a Spieth related thread title change. Thoughts?

Heir Jordan, your jacket

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

zinc68 posted:

Hair Jordan, your jacket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

zinc68 posted:

Heir Jordan, your jacket

I like this. Am I missing how to change the thread title, or is it mod only?

Edit - Hair Jordan is even better.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 13, 2015