Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Star Man posted:

I just started a seasonal job working on the grounds for one of Denver's golf courses. One of the perks is that I get to play for free on any of the city's nine golf courses, but I've never ever played before (I was on a driving range once and swung at balls in like...2000 or so when I was 13).

I've asked my housemate who does play to show me how if he ever wants to check out the course in Evergreen. What am I about to get myself into?

If you've never played before, take some real lessons from a pro, don't put that on your housemate. I have a friend who wants to learn how to play who has never golfed before, and without even having the basic ideas of how golf works, it would be way too much for me to try and teach him. Unless your housemate really wants to teach someone who has never golfed before, goto a pro and get some real lessons. You're going to need to start at the very basics and work your way up from there and a pro is going to be able to do that much better than someone who just plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
After playing pretty badly on a windy morning, on the 17th hole par 3, I hit a 6-iron in a cross-wind off the water hazard to a tucked pin to 2 feet. The putt was flat and straight.

Missed the putt.

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

Star Man posted:

I just started a seasonal job working on the grounds for one of Denver's golf courses. One of the perks is that I get to play for free on any of the city's nine golf courses, but I've never ever played before (I was on a driving range once and swung at balls in like...2000 or so when I was 13).

I've asked my housemate who does play to show me how if he ever wants to check out the course in Evergreen. What am I about to get myself into?

Go do the Get Golf Ready lessons at one of your local golf courses. One of the ones you get privileges on probably even hosts these lessons.

http://www.pga.com/play-golf-america/get-golf-ready/get-golf-ready-review

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I got out for a round yesterday morning at one of my favorite courses near St. Paul.

My tee time was 9:45 and I didn't actually tee off until 10:30, that's how backed up they were. They had no starter, no ranger, no anything keeping people honest so it was a miserably slow round. All in all I'm happy with how I hit the ball, I had some very nice up and downs that kept my score low.

Biggest killer was the third hole. Super reachable par 5, I hit a good drive up the hill about 4 inches off the fairway. I'm sitting about 220 from the green with a pin in the front right. All the greens on this course are very undulating and extremely crowned. If you aren't careful you will leave yourself a very difficult up and down. I of course leave my 2nd right of the green, leaving myself a very very difficult shot. I try to hit a flop that lands about 6 inches short of the top of the green, hits the fringe and rolls back down. Hit the next one a bit too hard and it rolls past the pin, then down the slope of the green(pin was on a very small raised section of the green) and off the green. Then chipped short of the hole and two putted for a 7 :suicide:.

I left another chip short on 13, but made a 30 foot putt to save bogey.

Overall I'm pleased, my putting was solid, if I can continue to putt that well then I have a good chance of bringing my handicap back down. I almost hit every fairway too, the 3rd hole I was off by about four inches and then on 18 I missed by about 3 feet.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

I got out for a round yesterday morning at one of my favorite courses near St. Paul.

My tee time was 9:45 and I didn't actually tee off until 10:30, that's how backed up they were. They had no starter, no ranger, no anything keeping people honest so it was a miserably slow round. All in all I'm happy with how I hit the ball, I had some very nice up and downs that kept my score low.

Biggest killer was the third hole. Super reachable par 5, I hit a good drive up the hill about 4 inches off the fairway. I'm sitting about 220 from the green with a pin in the front right. All the greens on this course are very undulating and extremely crowned. If you aren't careful you will leave yourself a very difficult up and down. I of course leave my 2nd right of the green, leaving myself a very very difficult shot. I try to hit a flop that lands about 6 inches short of the top of the green, hits the fringe and rolls back down. Hit the next one a bit too hard and it rolls past the pin, then down the slope of the green(pin was on a very small raised section of the green) and off the green. Then chipped short of the hole and two putted for a 7 :suicide:.

I left another chip short on 13, but made a 30 foot putt to save bogey.

Overall I'm pleased, my putting was solid, if I can continue to putt that well then I have a good chance of bringing my handicap back down. I almost hit every fairway too, the 3rd hole I was off by about four inches and then on 18 I missed by about 3 feet.

That is a really good score out there. LOVE that course, wish it didn't have so many blind shots though.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Started my gold league today. I played absolutely terrible, and I've lost all confidence in my swing.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I know I'm terrible, but all things considered with my surgeries and not setting foot on a golf course in probably 8 months, I'm not extremely disappointed with today's results. 4.5 weeks out of left hand carpal tunnel surgery and 2.5 weeks out of my right hand's (coupled with a brand new set of irons), my major issue is having no clue how long my shots are going to be. Problem was a couple of duffed shots and my putting was garbage. Also I forgot booze, so lack of swing-lube didn't help at all.

All in all though, the most important thing is that I'm not in pain!

Edit : also this was my first round with GolfPad GPS along with the LG G watch. Normally I use my Pebble. Result : the best golf app for android wear, but the platform just can't really support that kind of use. My battery went from 100 percent to 35 percent over the course of 9 (slow because of league) holes, and the watch would hang / freeze often enough for me to just stop trying to use it for marking shots. I'm going to get the Golf Tags soon.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 28, 2015

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

zinc68 posted:

That is a really good score out there. LOVE that course, wish it didn't have so many blind shots though.

It really is one of my favorite courses, I love having six par 5's. I always struggle on the par 3's out there, my mid-iron play has always been a bit of a weakness but man you can get into some trouble when you miss greens on that course.

There are way too many blind drives though, I don't mind the few blind second shots on par 5's, makes going for the green riskier(holes #7 and #8).

Which of you goons were out there golfing though? Some dude drove by in a star wars T-shirt, pony tail, black jean shorts and a fedora. I wish I was kidding.

Nerdrock posted:

Edit : also this was my first round with GolfPad GPS along with the LG G watch. Normally I use my Pebble. Result : the best golf app for android wear, but the platform just can't really support that kind of use. My battery went from 100 percent to 35 percent over the course of 9 (slow because of league) holes, and the watch would hang / freeze often enough for me to just stop trying to use it for marking shots. I'm going to get the Golf Tags soon.

Get a laser! I highly recommend it.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Played Sunday with a guy who's a semi-touring professional, I guess. He attempts maybe 10 events per year via monday qualifying. He said that, in order to qualify for the Shell Houston Open, you have to play a certain course (which I've played before, pretty tough) and place in the top 10 to advance. This usually requires a -7 or -8. Then, those 10 players play a second round against the Web.com and PGA Tour players who didn't get sponsor invites or exemptions into the event. They only take the top 2 from there or something like that. He was pretty good, too. He attempted the Shell Houston Open qualifying, but his -3 wasn't even in the top 30. He did qualify for the Valero Texas Open a few years back.

I could keep up with him off the tee, but he was just crazy consistent. I shot +4 and made zero birdies, and he shot even with an eagle, birdie, and 3 bogeys. He probably hit 12-13 greens, and except for the two bunkers he found (didn't get up and down from either of them, surprisingly), he missed all of his greens short on the apron, and he putted up. I saw him pull out a putter from 10 yards off the green on the first hole (550 yard par 5), and I pegged him as one of those guys who just can't chip or pitch. He holed it for eagle. Whatever works!

He got my information and wanted to play with me again, which is cool. He asked about some of the local courses near me (I was playing at a more upscale public course in North Houston), and he started giving me grief because they were "too easy" for me or "not long enough from the tips." Man, I like playing short courses every now and then! Birdies are fun. :(

Edit: Also I wanted to kill him and wear his skin because he got two dozen balls from Sergio from the SHO this year. Had his initials on one side and the bull on the other.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 28, 2015

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

quote:

PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. – The PGA TOUR today announced the creation of PGA TOUR LIVE, a digital Over-The-Top subscription service featuring exclusive, live Thursday and Friday morning coverage of more than 30 PGA TOUR events per season. The PGA TOUR and MLB Advanced Media (MLBAM) are entering into a multi-year partnership to develop, produce, and distribute the OTT service to golf fans in North America and other key markets around the world.

Set to launch this summer, PGA TOUR LIVE will feature exclusive Thursday and Friday coverage of two morning featured groups leading up to the afternoon Golf Channel television broadcast. PGA TOUR LIVE will mark the first time ever that complete, live coverage of morning marquee groups has been provided to fans.

“PGA TOUR LIVE is an important development for golf fans, as it will bring live action to the devices they use most, while building great momentum and viewership for the ensuing broadcast coverage each weekday afternoon and into the weekend,” said Tim Finchem, Commissioner of the PGA TOUR. “Working with MLBAM was a natural fit, as it was a top priority to find a partner to meet the challenge of delivering the digital hybrid our fans want most – a live HD broadcast with world-class technology distribution.”

The PGA TOUR and MLBAM will collaborate to develop, launch and operate the subscription service across mobile, tablet and other digital devices in the United States, Canada, and select international markets. MLBAM, the New York-based technology company, will provide its Emmy Award winning video infrastructure services, including cross-platform application development and broadcast engineering operations, to bring this new digital-only product to a wide range of devices and screens. Subscription pricing and supported digital platforms will be announced at a later date.

“Commissioner Finchem and his entire staff deserve credit for having the vision and the fortitude to serve the millions of golf fans with this product,” said Bob Bowman, President of Business & Media for Major League Baseball. “Those fans will not be disappointed.”

Cool to see the PGA Tour doing something forward thinking for once, if just a couple years behind the curve.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

They already had something like this for Bay Hill last month, for free no less.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

DoctaFun posted:

Get a laser! I highly recommend it.

Pssshhh I do just fine with yardage markers :P

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

EnsGDT posted:

I don't want a laser... I like using my judgment... but it is the worst when you are at a new course and there is like, nothing! Like, you have to guess that an approach is somewhere between 180 and 250 and there is nothing to help you. The worst!

edit: worst!

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010
Yo Kameh, Sergio's win at TPC in '08 is on Golf's Greatest rounds tonight. Fantastic series, and it's featuring your dude.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Nichol posted:

I don't want a laser... I like using my judgment... but it is the worst when you are at a new course and there is like, nothing! Like, you have to guess that an approach is somewhere between 180 and 250 and there is nothing to help you. The worst!

edit: worst!

I mean I guessssssss. I grew up hunting, so my distance judgement is pretty good?

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

EnsGDT posted:

How is that going to help me when I'm 2 fairways across after spraying my driver?!

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Halo14 posted:

How is that going to help me when I'm 2 fairways across after spraying my driver?!

Actually this is the problem more often than I'd like to admit......

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Halo14 posted:

In this case the answer is always a gently caress it 4 iron

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

GOING BACK TO SCOTLAND THIS SUMMER :woop:

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DJExile posted:

GOING BACK TO SCOTLAND THIS SUMMER :woop:

WE GOT ALL THE GOLF HERE :woop:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ramagamma posted:

WE GOT ALL THE GOLF HERE :woop:

I am so pumped. I didn't think I'd ever get a chance to go back. I'm definitely playing Castle Stuart at least twice because I goddamn loved that course. I think we're also playing Royal Dornoch at some point. I don't know where else were playing yet.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
The course I played at as a kid, and where my dad still plays now, had a sharp 90 degree dogleg par 5 around a residential property that had a huge > 1 acre lawn. I had occasion to cut the corner when I was a kid, after a topped drive, and a consistent hitter would probably be well-served by taking a direct route. Now they've sold a parcel and built a house in there. A family moves in, anddddd you know the rest, now they're bitching about golf balls.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

sarehu posted:

The course I played at as a kid, and where my dad still plays now, had a sharp 90 degree dogleg par 5 around a residential property that had a huge > 1 acre lawn. I had occasion to cut the corner when I was a kid, after a topped drive, and a consistent hitter would probably be well-served by taking a direct route. Now they've sold a parcel and built a house in there. A family moves in, anddddd you know the rest, now they're bitching about golf balls.

The gall of some people will always impress me. Build a house on the dogleg of an attackable hole (par 5 or drivable par 4), get pissed when people fire golf balls at your house. One owner of such a house on a local course actually started a fight with somebody when the golfer punched a hole (just one of MANY) in his vinyl-sided chimney trying to cut the corner. The owner of the house was knocked out cold.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
I got the shanks! Dear lord help me. Cougar Point kicked my rear end on Tuesday morning. I got roped into playing from what is essentially the "white" tees so the course was playing maybe 6400 yards. Could barely use my driver on most of the holes. Driver was all out of whack too, I hit 6 green side bunkers. My only saving grace was a short par 4 where you can "attempt" to carry water on the left and land on the green approx 300 yard carry. I was already playing horrific so I decided to give it a shot. First ball came up about 3 yards short and rolled back into the water. Second shot made it over, hit a little back stop and rolled back to 6 ft and I made the putt for par. Had 2 eagle putts, missed both. One i salvaged a birdie and the other ended up being a double bogey which was really disheartening. I don't think I scored better than double bogey on the other 15 holes though. Drives were in the rough or fairway bunker every hole, irons were shanking non-stop. Only had 1 hole where I was on in 2 and ended up 3 putting ><

Needless to say, it was a poo poo round of golf.

Here is a picture I took sitting on the deck of the Ocean Course club house on tuesday after the above round (eating lunch) looking back on the 18th fairway contemplating my strategy for Wednesday morning. Ultimately we got rained out and I didn't get to play. Rescheduled for May 24th. Click for Huge.

If you blow it up to full size, in the middle you'll see a little line/row of white above what seems like endless grass. That is where the tee box for the 14th hole is, it's almost a mile away from the 18th green.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

thebushcommander posted:

I got the shanks! Dear lord help me. Cougar Point kicked my rear end on Tuesday morning. I got roped into playing from what is essentially the "white" tees so the course was playing maybe 6400 yards. Could barely use my driver on most of the holes. Driver was all out of whack too, I hit 6 green side bunkers. My only saving grace was a short par 4 where you can "attempt" to carry water on the left and land on the green approx 300 yard carry. I was already playing horrific so I decided to give it a shot. First ball came up about 3 yards short and rolled back into the water. Second shot made it over, hit a little back stop and rolled back to 6 ft and I made the putt for par. Had 2 eagle putts, missed both. One i salvaged a birdie and the other ended up being a double bogey which was really disheartening. I don't think I scored better than double bogey on the other 15 holes though. Drives were in the rough or fairway bunker every hole, irons were shanking non-stop. Only had 1 hole where I was on in 2 and ended up 3 putting ><

Needless to say, it was a poo poo round of golf.

Here is a picture I took sitting on the deck of the Ocean Course club house on tuesday after the above round (eating lunch) looking back on the 18th fairway contemplating my strategy for Wednesday morning. Ultimately we got rained out and I didn't get to play. Rescheduled for May 24th. Click for Huge.

If you blow it up to full size, in the middle you'll see a little line/row of white above what seems like endless grass. That is where the tee box for the 14th hole is, it's almost a mile away from the 18th green.

When I played a proper links course once I realized how spoiled I was, usually having trees lining a fairway... they can actually keep your balls from going too far astray... not so much with acres of fescue.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Nichol posted:

When I played a proper links course once I realized how spoiled I was, usually having trees lining a fairway... they can actually keep your balls from going too far astray... not so much with acres of fescue.

I have lost dozens of balls to links courses for this exact reason, haha

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Played for the first time in 3 months. Driving was okay with some great ones and a few inexplicable. Irons were mostly pretty good, a handful of birdie putts inside 10'. Short game was pretty bad and still lack confidence in putting. :sigh:

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Played heron bay last weekend. Shot 75 playing about 7300. Super happy with my iron play and short game. I had two stupid holes that stopped a great round from being a perfect round.

I'm most proud of the fact that I was -1 on the par 3s when they were 220, 230, 200, and 180. My par 3 scoring has gotten light years better as I've incorporated some swing changes.

Should be great this weekend. I'm playing heron bay again and peachtree on Sunday gently caress yeah.

Gonna break par soon, all the parts are coming together, and I've carded a few rounds that put me at a scratch index.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Not sure if anyone is watching the WGC Match Play but Jimenez and Keegan almost just got in an actual fight over Keegan taking relief from a fence. Keegan got in his face after Miguel started chirping at his caddy.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Douchebag posted:

Not sure if anyone is watching the WGC Match Play but Jimenez and Keegan almost just got in an actual fight over Keegan taking relief from a fence. Keegan got in his face after Miguel started chirping at his caddy.

https://www.facebook.com/krustcrow/posts/10206549013385640

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Pretty sure Jimenez would beat the gently caress out of Keegan ... or really anybody on the tour (all while smoking a cigar).

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013

Douchebag posted:

Hey, douchebag, people do watch golf even if this thread is strictly devoted to 8 posters talking about their game. That said, "Pepsi" (are you loving kidding me?) is an rear end in a top hat, but that should be a given seeing as he is a caddy for a Jordan-shoe wearing masshole. Jiminez had every right to watch what his competitor in match play was doing. The "Pepsi" caddy should have had MAJ beat the gently caress out of him rather than a shut up. Pepsi's job, besides not-so-subtly-endorsing-a-cola- brand isto carry a bag and shut the gently caress up. Not to interject his opinion on match he is not playing in. I guess Keegan got his panties in a bunch, in keeping with his LPGA royal lineage.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

JD Bucks 7 posted:

Hey, douchebag, people do watch golf even if this thread is strictly devoted to 8 posters talking about their game. That said, "Pepsi" (are you loving kidding me?) is an rear end in a top hat, but that should be a given seeing as he is a caddy for a Jordan-shoe wearing masshole. Jiminez had every right to watch what his competitor in match play was doing. The "Pepsi" caddy should have had MAJ beat the gently caress out of him rather than a shut up. Pepsi's job, besides not-so-subtly-endorsing-a-cola- brand isto carry a bag and shut the gently caress up. Not to interject his opinion on match he is not playing in. I guess Keegan got his panties in a bunch, in keeping with his LPGA royal lineage.

holy poo poo I'm going to frame this

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Played my first 18 of the season today. As I'd mentioned 9 went OK earlier in the week ... I'm not quite ready for 18 yet. about the 12th hole I started losing strength in my wrist which directly translated into duffing every single shot under 80 yards. The whole round was pretty poor, as I was making solid contact and starting to get predictable distances back ... but pushing all of my shots to the right.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

JD Bucks 7 posted:

Jesus Christ.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
McIlroy with some epic kill shots at the end to put down Big Jim Furyk. :stare:

Woodland vs McIlroy for the final. Harding is holding her own. Great course.

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

JD Bucks 7 posted:

Woah, I thought I accidentally wandered into the F1 thread there for a second.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

UnionCarbide posted:

Woah, I thought I accidentally wandered into the F1 thread there for a second.

It's weird, that's his 3rd post in the thread and his other 2 were about the allenby "kidnapping" in Hawaii.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Douchebag posted:

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

mattfl posted:

It's weird, that's his 3rd post in the thread and his other 2 were about the allenby "kidnapping" in Hawaii.

I was just pointing out a funny slap fest during the Match play and I wandered into some serious anger drat.