Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I don't really play golf. I haven't played in a year and went out today and shot a totally legit 108 (my best score ever to be honest). This is just to let you know where I am.

I am taking a lesson series called Get Ready Golf. The reason I am posting is because I have no fairway woods. I do not want to spend a lot because I am not sure if I will stick with this. The store up the street has a set of Callaway Great Big Bertha 2 Fairway Woods (3/5/7) for 40 bucks total. Would those be OK for a beginner or should I not worry about getting any right now? I have a 4 hybrid and the the standard iron set + a driver right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Can anyone recommend some good youtube videos for learning to hit fairway woods and hybrids? For a guy who totally sucks.

Background: I was never good at golf, a typical guy who shot like 120 and sucked. A month ago I played again for the first time in 2 years, shot a 108 (best score ever), and yesterday shot a 104. I am taking a 5 lesson series called Get Golf Ready. The first week was putting (the one thing I am not terrible at).

I am OK with irons 8 and up (including wedges) and OK most of the time with the 7 and 6. I played yesterday pretty much hitting only my 7 iron and longer. I got paired with a 78 year old yesterday and just hit off the short tees with him. I shot a 104 but the aerated greens cost me at least 3 putts.

I really do believe I can break 100 (from the real tees) before the summer is out, and when I do this will be me at the 19th hole

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Sataere posted:

When I break 110, it will be a milestone. I can't wait until I learn to not just armswing
Now that is what I am talking about! I had never broken 120 and did 108 and 104 back to back in the last 3 weeks. The 104 was playing from the old man tees with a 78 year old. I only used a 7 iron but that still probably doesn't count. The 108 was totally legit. I counted penalty strokes and everything. You'll get there.

Of course now I have to break 100. It will happen before the end of the summer I hope. I am taking a group lesson series called Get Golf Ready. It is only 100 bucks and is a national program. You should check and see if there is one near you.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I do not have a preshot routine at all now. I don't stand behind the ball and look at the target and find something to line up with but that is a great tip. I am going to try it next time I hit some balls. Thank you for the idea Halo14.

Tomorrow is my chipping and pitching lesson. Compared to a good golfer I am sure I am bad, but my chipping within 25 yards of the green is probably the part of my game I play most above my average score. I chip from 25 yards in at least as well as my buddy who averages 90.

I am hopeful with one or two tweaks I can really step my chipping game up. For instance, I almost always use a 5 iron to chip, probably because when my dad showed me how to chip that is the club we used. I bet just understanding when to use different clubs can really help me. Everything I do with the chipping is just how I felt comfortable. I am sure there are some tweaks that can help big time.

My pitching game is non existent from 50 yards in. I'll try to bump and run with my 5 iron from like 40 yards out. I have no confidence trying to hit high shots with a wedge because half the time I knock the ball like 100 yards and it never gets high enough to clear a 6 foot fence hah.

Halo14 posted:

Another big thing in golf is trying to not compound mistakes. Take your medicine by chipping out or clubbing down.
I think this is what took me from 124 to 108 in one round. I was trying to play like my friends who shoot between 85-95 while I was a 120 golfer. I decided to play it WAY safe for an entire round. I never used anything but a iron unless I was teeing off, and most of the time I teed off with one as well, and I focused on not screwing myself over horribly. Like if I was 170 from the green but there were bunkers on both sides the chance of me actually pulling off a shot on the green was 5% but a disaster was massive (either in the bunker or mishitting it either 20 yards or in the woods). Or I could just try to hit the ball 120 yards and be 50 yards away but almost always in the fairway and most assuredly on the green in my next shot (probably 80%?) I only lost 1 ball that day. Usually I lose like 6. I am going to play like this for a while and leave the long shots for the range.

I also ran hot putting which helped a lot of course. I probably was over my EV by about 4 putts.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I have all my dad's old clubs. Ping I3 oversize irons with steel shafts. I have been trying to decide if I should change to game improvement irons or not.

Is it worth it? Or should I just grow into my irons?I tend to think I should stick with them but I am open to input.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

EnsGDT posted:

Where are you on my chart? :P
I am at 6) Taking lessons

My dad gave me my entire bag of clubs (they are his old ones) except a hybrid I bought after playing great with my friend's (Cobra Baffler 4 hybrid, the exact club he had). Of course I immediately sucked with it after buying it hah

The instructor said my clubs should be fine to learn on. I'll finish my lesson series, practice for a month or two while also playing, and reevaluate. He is going to check my fit next week. Tonight I learned my grip was off. My left hand was on the club fine but my right hand was not correct. Hopefully this adjustment helps me improve my longer shots.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 12, 2015

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
How much does hitting off mats vs grass at the range change things? I went today and hit probably 80 balls with my wedges and irons (up to 6) and only like 3 didn't go in the air. Now, they didn't all go straight in front of me but the ones that did not were consistent in their bad aim (to the left). Most flew straight and about 15 yards to the left of where I was aiming.

I would like to think it was my hard work and grip changes, but I am afraid the mat might have made them go up and compensated for slight mishits. Would a mat do this?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Does anyone know anything about the Ping K15 driver? They have a 10.5 degree one for 40 bucks at the store up the street. I don't even use a driver right now. I am about to start learning the driver swing.

I have a 12 year old 580XD my dad gave me but this driver is much newer and I think more fit for beginners. For me, 40 bucks is worth lowering the learning curve even slightly. I can afford it pretty easily (I'm not trying to brag, just get across 40 bucks isn't really the issue). Should I buy and learn with this driver?

The salesman said a regular flex is the right one for me and the driver has a regular flex.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Halo14 posted:

This guy does really good reviews > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5qrf2Mxkk4

Thanks. I watched this and then I bought it. It is only 40 bucks. I will see how it does. 40 bucks doesn't seem much to upgrade 7 years of technology and get a consensus "easy to hit straight" driver. I bought a Titleist lob wedge as well. It was only 25 bucks, seemed in good condition, and I used to have one that I lost and I liked it.

I'm debating if I should go to the range when it is 100 degrees. I probably will hah

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Holy moly, this Ping K15 driver is the best 40 dollars I have ever spent in my entire life.

Here is how my old driver (580xd) would go. Out of 10 shots, 3 would fly to the right at almost a 90 degree angle, 3 would go like 25 feet, 2 would land some random place 100 yards away, and 2 would fly semi straight.

With the K15, I had almost no ball not go semi straight. Out of 10 at least 8 would have me happy. I wasn't hitting it super far, but considering most of the time I hit a 7 iron off the tee because I have no confidence in anything bigger, it doesn't have to fly a mile to help me tremendously.

NOTE: There is no reason this is due to swing improvement. I used my old driver Friday and it was horrible and the new one today. I did not watch any videos or work on anything.

If super game improvement irons help as much as changing drivers I am buying some very soon. Does anyone use "super game improvement" irons? I think the mats helped my irons last time because I had a lot of mishits today. Lesson learned, grass driving range only. Of course, it was like 100 degrees and I was in the dead sun, so that did not help.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I had a real shot at breaking 100 today. I hit 50 on the front 9 and was sitting at 33 with 3 holes left. Bogey Bogey Double Bogey and I would have been there. I even had a 4 putt and 3 putt on the back 9. I never four putt. I was feeling like I had a shot and then it the bottom fell out. It was pouring. Still, I now know I can break 100. It will happen soon, maybe the next time I play.

My ball striking has really improved with my lessons. My aim/alignment is pretty bad. I think I can fix this pretty easily.

Halo14 I did your preshot routine and it is nice to do the same thing every time. Thanks for the idea.

On carts, I have an old Sun Mountain Pushcart my dad gave me since he quit using it. I like it a lot. It has inflatable tires. The new ones have hard plastic. I am not sure why they switched, that seems worse to me. My theory is most people probably break it out like 2 times a year so ever time they had to pump the tires which lead to a bunch of complaints.

VVV That makes sense. My thoughts were mostly inflatable tires are better one basically everything else in the world so why would they be worse for a golf cart.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 20, 2015

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

thebushcommander posted:

Don't suppose anyone here has ever played Oak Island Golf Club down in Oak Island, NC? Going there for a week at the beginning of August and the course is only 1/2 mile from the beach house I am staying at so I fully intend to play at least once even though I am going to be playing with weekend hackers that are good for 120+ rounds.
I shot over 130 there I think the 2nd time I ever played golf. The best part is I don't think we even slow played down! Bring a lot of beer and water because it is going to be a long round.

Some dude off craigslist sold me a 4 and 5 Nicent (?) hybrid, a 6 hybrid Ping G25, and 7-gap wedge Ping G20s for 170 bucks today. The trade in for the ping stuff is less than that price. I had told myself I was going to hold off on the game improvement irons until I finished my lessons, but I knew I wouldn't see them any cheaper in a month and the G20s were the exact club I had decided on. He was only asking 120 for the irons but said he would throw in all 3 hybrids for 50 bucks, and considering I saw a G25 hybrid for like 75 at the store, used, I figured that was fine since would have to get something for those clubs anyway.

The guy I bought them from is a member at the driving range nearby that is a Ping Top 100 fitter and they are going to fit them/adjust the lie for 35 bucks total, which seems fair.

i hope they help me lower my scores. 100 is in sight!

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Sataere posted:

So I decided to stop by Top Golf for lunch today and I've just about had it with my swing. So dumb question time. How do I teach myself using youtube? I don't have the money to drop on lessons at the moment, but I do have unlimited balls at the range, so I figure I can just keep working until I fix it if I have to.
http://www.pga.com/play-golf-america/get-golf-ready

(also google Get Golf Ready [your city] There are two places here that have it and neither showed up on this site]

See if it is near you. I'm only 3 lessons in and my last round I made solid contact all but one shot. My aim was not stellar but the ball went in the air and forward a decent amount every single time, which is big time compared to where I was a month ago. I have aim deficiencies but those will be corrected.

100 bucks for 5 lessons in small groups. You can't beat it.

I see you posted about your 10 year old. There are two fathers with their sons in my group as well as one lady. The dads and kids seem to be enjoying it a lot.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Sataere posted:

What did you look for with group lessons? i'm definitely not finding a 5 group lessons for $100. I did find a great deal for my kid though. Thanks for this.

EDIT: Disregard this, I just found a couple of great weekend clinics for me and my kid for $129. And some nice after school stuff. That site is pretty awesome.
Hell yes! I hope they work out. After I finish my series of 5 group lessons I will have to figure out my next step. I will probably practice a lot and get a lesson when I hit a wall.

ironlung posted:

Online lessons are relatively cheap and would be a lot more productive than watching a bunch of random YouTube videos.
How does that work? I try to film my swing with my Macbook Pro in iMovie but it is too blurry to tell anything. Would a phone (Moto X 2014) work for a golf swing?
[note: I am assuming you film your swing and work with a guy online to make adjustments]

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Three weeks in a row my lesson is canceled due to lightening! The whole world is against me breaking 100. (shot 102 on Sunday but I used a mulligan on each side so a 106 is probably my true score, my putting was on fire though, average putting would have resulted in a 110)

edit

uncanceled. It was basically a private lesson. Only 1 other person was there. Thanks weather!

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 3, 2015

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
What is the best interval for lessons when starting out? I finished my 5 week "Get Golf Ready" clinic and I want to continue to improve. My consistency with ball striking is getting better and I think I am on the right path. I had a 1 on 1 session with the coach from my clinic and it was really helpful. I am going to stick with him for now. My friend who shoots in the 70's took his first lessons from the same coach and he likes him also.

I am thinking a 30 minute lesson every other week would probably be the best. Is every other week the right spacing? I feel like weekly might be too much.

I have a net and (crappy) hitting mat in my backyard and I will go to the range at least once a week (probably twice) and play once if that matters.

I still have not broken 100 but I have shot 106 or below my last 4 rounds. I never shot below 124 until 2 months ago so I am happy. My friends (all shoot in the 80s) have said my swing looks much better.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 27, 2015

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Suprfli6 posted:

This week is supposed to be like 90ish every day which is hot as balls for upstate NY, so I'll probably be limited to 9 holes in the evening when it's not quite so bad.
hah we haven't been able to play a round where it has been below 90 in 2 months in North Carolina. Last Friday was the coolest in a long time (91 at 3pm, down to the upper 80s when we were done).

This is probably the most consistently hot summer I can remember.

pmac posted:

Every other week would be a good interval. At this point in your development, you'll benefit from having an instructor checking your form. Having lessons more often can help but if you're not putting in a bunch of reps you're basically paying him to tell you the same thing over and over. I'd also recommend spending at least 50% of your lesson and practice time on pitching, chipping and putting. If you want to break 100 you'll be best served by learning to consistently get your ball on the green when you're near it and 2-putt once you're on it.
That 50% is all shots under 100 yards, right? I probably do that although I will admit I am very lax on practicing putting. It is by far the strongest part of my game (I probably putt as well as my friends who shoot in the 80s) but I do neglect it when I practice. I am more concerned with being able to consistently move the ball forward at this point. As soon as my swing is consistent enough the ball goes up and forward every try I will work much harder on my short game. I feel like being able to swing is more important at the moment. Plus no one wants to play with someone who tops the ball twice in a row at 20 yards a clip. If I have an extra putt every hole it doesn't slow the game down nearly as much.

Anyway, every other week it is.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Furnaceface posted:

Last round was 101, 2 away from my goal, and was my first round with nothing higher than a triple. Im so gonna break 100 this summer. I can feel it. :toot:
I was so stoked today and then crushed. I thought I shot a 100 which would be my new low score but I didn't count a hole when I added it up, so I think it was a 105. I putted terrible and the greens at this course were just garbage. I played with 2 buddies who shoot in the 70s and another guy who shoots low 80s and I swear the longest putt anyone dropped was 9 feet. It was also at least 95 degrees for the like 100th day in a row. I love North Carolina but this summer is out of control.

I am about to sign up for a 4 lesson plan so I will hit that drat 99 soon!

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

pmac posted:

I recently was given access to https://golfscrimmages.com, which is created by PGA Pro Trent Wearner (he's on Golf Channel and is a "top teacher" in Colorado). I have 3 free accounts that I can pass out if anyone is interested. The site basically gives you a bunch of practice games and allows you to add more structure to your practice sessions. The platform isn't particularly well built but the games are good. Let me know if you want an invite.
I will take one...thanks :)

I was actually trying to figure out some drills I could do in my yard to improve.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I should wait to get the lie adjusted on my Ping G20s until I have formed a consistent swing, right? It is not based on height/arms/etc as far as I can tell.

I hope I get to play this weekend. I have been practicing in my net but I know that is not ideal since for all I know the flight pattern would suck. I am taking a lesson tomorrow. I am currently trying to focus on shifting my weight and keeping my left arm straight at impact. I was not really doing either. It is leading to a lot of mishits but that is learning I guess.

Does anyone have any good drills for working on either of those two things?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I was so close. I shot 100 exactly yesterday. I had an 8 on a par 3 which was just atrocious. I will relive every shot until I break 100 for sure. Donked the tee shot 10 yards, messed up on the second shot, third shot into the bunker, 2 shots out, 3 to putt. I had a 20 footer on 18 to make 99 but I missed it by about 5 inches.

For the first time ever I was leading my friend at the front 9. He usually shoots 85 but was playing awful and I had a 47 (started par par, which is 1 more par than I get in a round usually). Then I birdied the 10th and he admitted he was getting nervous, but drat I fell apart. This friend is the reason I am trying to get better. We played the day before his wedding (1st time in 2 years for me) and I announced I would beat him within 1 year. We bet 20 bucks. I'm going to spend like 5 grand to win that 20 bucks hah.

I actually got super mad at that 8. Like really mad. I could have thrown my club I was so mad. I never get mad at anything, anyone will tell you I always am calm, no matter what. I am embarrassed about it.

My instructor helped me a lot with my stance and my iron play was much better. My drives and putting on the aerated greens hurt a lot. I usually drive it only like 210 but straight every time, today I hit 3 drives like 30 yards. I think the change in my stance to help the irons might have hurt my driving. That is what lessons are for I guess.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Essential posted:

I've recently moved and cut way, way down on how many hours I work and I'm looking to once again get back into golf. I already have some lessons scheduled, so I'm here for advice on drivers. What driver would you guys recommend for $130 or less? Rockbottomgolf has quite a few so any help is appreciated. I'll buy from anywhere, doesn't have to be there, but I figured that would be my best bet.

I'm looking for something mostly forgiving and I'm obviously fine getting a model a year or 2 out of date.
I had a Taylormade driver and another driver my dad gave me. I could not hit either. The last time I played with the Taylormade I teed up 3 times on the same hole and all three balls went straight into the woods to the right and I played the rest of the round with my 7 iron off the tee. I googled "most forgiving driver" and the Ping K15 (and a couple others) came up multiple times. I went to Golfsmith with the list, they had a used K15 in stock (10.5 degrees), I hit it 3 times, all three went straight on the screen, bought it, and my drives always go straight unless I top it or pop it up. They only go like 215 yards, but they do it every time. It was without a doubt the best 45 bucks I have spent on this game so far. So if you are as bad as me I'd check that one out. Also, the 215 is because I have no length...I doubt the driver is the limiting factor on length.

For reference, my first round in 2 years was in May this year and before May I have never broken 124. My last round was an even 100 (1 mulligan). I never took golf seriously before June of this year.

Anyone have advice on getting individual Ping G20 Irons? My set starts at the 7 iron and I want a 5 and 6. I can only get one replacement from ping (78 shipped). I keep checking ebay. My friend said maybe I could look at getting even easier to hit 5 and 6 irons from another set. Based on ebay I am going to guess it is going to cost 120ish to get a 5 and 6 iron shipped which seems like a lot since I only paid 120 for 7-UW. I also have a G25 5 hybrid. Should I think about just getting a G20 6 iron? It is hard to pay 65% of what I paid for my entire set for 1 club.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
We're going Sunday. I've never gone to a tournament. I hope Tiger is near the lead mostly because I feel like the atmosphere will be a lot more exciting.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

thebushcommander posted:

The Wyndham is always pretty fun crowd wise, it's been sometime since I went though, Greensboro is like an hour and half from me so it's not really worth the drive. I like going a mile down the road and jumping on a bus to go to the Wells Fargo.

I'm in Raleigh so it is the same distance. I am debated going solo tomorrow since Tiger is in the lead and it is gonna be bananas but I am gonna stick to the Sunday plan.

I hope he is still in contention after tomorrow.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Holy shat it is packed around Tiger. Assuming he holds his position (big assumption I know), I am going to follow some other people until the leaders are on the last 4 or 5 holes. It might be like my own private tournament. Hell, there might not even be a cameraman anywhere else.

I might be going by myself, which I think might be kind of awesome actually. Both the guys I was going to go with might have to bail. Has anyone gone to one of these things solo? Is it still fun?

The announcers were saying these are the fastest Bermuda greens in a while. I played in NC yesterday and the greens were like concrete. You could drop the ball out of an airplane and not make a mark on them.

edit

WTF why is there a 30 minute coverage gap? Is there some stupid legal reason the Golf Network can't just roll into CBS?

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 22, 2015

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I was in the front for Tiger's tee shots at 5 and 16. Following him exclusively is just too much. I basically walked the course backwards and when I knew Tiger was coming up just set up a hole early. I tried to follow him but you can't see a drat thing.

It is crazy when he arrives though. The tee box will just be 1 deep and then like 20 tournament staff comes up yelling at everyone to put phones away and a crowd comes over the hill like an army in Lord of the Rings.

The tournament was pretty fun. You really have no idea what is going on when you are there though. I thought the best places to watch was where tee shots landed on par 4s. You can see the tee shot come in and usually at least 1 guy is hitting his approach shot within 20 feet of you. And it is uncrowded and you can find shade. Directly behind the tee box on par 3s were nice too. You could see the tee shot and watch them putt from a distance.

It is probably better to watch on TV but I will go again for sure. I think once a year is enough though

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
A few years ago my friends and I used to play at this par 3 near our houses (unfortunately it is no longer near my house). None of us took golf seriously so we would spray balls all over the place and probably shoot 110.

Today I went there and played 2 balls. With a Noodle -> Pinnacle Gold I found on hole 10. I shot a 73 with 6 pars and with a Noodle long and soft I shot a 81 with 2 pars.

I would bet money that is more pars than all of us combined got in 20+ rounds there back in the day. Also, that Pinnacle Gold was on fire. I found on hole 10 and decided to play it to have a unique ball instead of two noodles. I went on the hottest streak I have ever had in golf. I went 4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 3 to close it out. I couldn't believe it. I felt like the goddamn man. I hate I was by myself. I really wish someone saw it. It will probably be a year before I go on a heater like that again.

Also, this isn't a pitch and putt. Half those holes were over 160 yards.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
drat David Feherty got fired. I actually laughed when I saw him running around with his backpack on in Greensboro. It looks so ridiculous in person.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
In what world do those white socks look better?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I've been busting my rear end the last couple of days and just turned on the TV. Jason Day is 20 under, 6 under the next closest player. Jesus christ is this man on a heater

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I cannot wait to get consistent at ball striking. If I could ball strike as well as I putt I would almost be a scratch golfer (not really). I was on fire today. 25 footer, 15 footer from the fringe, and probably 5 10-15 footers.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

mattfl posted:

So you know what's gonna happen right. You'll have an amazing ball striking day but your putting will go to poo poo. It's some sort of rule that us normal people are not allowed to have both a good ball striking day and an awesome putting day!
Probably hah. From the first time I ever played golf I have been a decent putter. I got the Phil Mickelson DVD and now my chipping is pretty drat good too. It just takes me two times as many strokes as anyone else to get within 30 yards....from there I can hang with my buddies who shoot 80

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I am trying to find a structured program to go from shooting ~100 (102 is my best score) with an extremely inconsistent long game to at least 90 by year end. I cannot not really find any structured lesson plan except this http://www.amazon.com/TOURAcademy-Edition-8-Week-Improvement-Program/dp/B0093H1XQQ which looks intriguing. Does anyone know about this? $110 bucks is a lot of money but if it will really give me a structured program I can afford it. Golf is expensive anyways. I have a driving range quality mat and a practice net in my back yard if that makes a difference. I can make the range 3 times a week if necessary, which I think is what this program wants.

I took a couple of lessons with a coach over the last 3 months (5 group lessons for Get Golf Ready + 3 30 minute lessons with 1 more when we can schedule it) but he is a high school golf coach and really hard to schedule now that school is back.I googled around and on some golf forums this DVD course seems pretty well respected. Have any of you heard of it?

I was hesitant to try to learn anything off a golf DVD, but I got the Phil Mickelson short game DVD for 10 bucks and learned how to chip off it. I went from all over the place to getting within 10 feet of the hole almost anytime I am within 20 yards of the green, which is a massive improvement in 3 weeks and 4 total practice sessions. The DVD helped big time.

Side note: I am surprised there aren't 100 hits on google for something like "8 week beginner golf plan." The only thing is a page on golf.com with nothing but dead links. If I was good at golf instruction I'd create an online course for this right away. There are probably 10 different golf workout plans but nothing for the game itself. I know youtube has 10 million helpful videos, but a site or .pdf outlining 3 1 hour sessions a week, with a short video for each session, would be awesome. Well, there is my business idea of the day.

edit

I read a good amount of this thread and I think I am sold http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?47375-PGA-Tour-Academy-Home-Edition-THP-Preview unless anyone has something bad to say about it.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 24, 2015

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I wonder if next time they do one of those anonymous player polls if Jordan Spieth wins "most annoying playing partner" by a landslide. Nonstop talking, yelling at his ball every swing, 39 practice swings, yelling at himself, and he probably talks nonstop between holes too.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I just remember reading the last time they did it and Bubba Watson won everyone said it was because he never stopped talking and complaining. It seemed like Spieth was doing it today so I just wondered. I don't hate him, but I could see him winning that poll next year.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Pretty cool if Spieth wins, because he was the best player all year by far (the last month aside).

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Ribsauce posted:

I am trying to find a structured program to go from shooting ~100 (102 is my best score) with an extremely inconsistent long game to at least 90 by year end. I cannot not really find any structured lesson plan except this http://www.amazon.com/TOURAcademy-Edition-8-Week-Improvement-Program/dp/B0093H1XQQ which looks intriguing.
I ordered this and have done week 1 except the putting practice. It is going to rain for 7 straight days (and has the past 5) so I doubt I can do it anytime soon. There is a covered range I am going to hit up this weekend for the 2nd full swing practice session.

I am not going to type up a long review now but I think I will when I am done. The program basically has 8 lessons and an 8 week plan. Day 1 you watch lesson 1, then the next day you go to the range to do the lesson 1 practice routine, Day 4 you watch lesson 2, then the next day is a range day, then on Day 6 you practice both. The next week has 2 more lessons. They give you a booklet with the practice routine for each lesson (example, lesson 1 15 balls 8 iron 2/3rd speed, 15 balls full 8 iron, 15 balls 6 iron). There is a beginner practice routine (white) and intermediate (blue). The package also comes with an impact bag and two collapsable alignment sticks, a big instruction book, and a practice book to keep in your bag.

The first lesson, grip, alignment, posture, was awesome. I worked on this two times with my instructor but I still learned a ton from the video. It is great. I feel like it was worth the cost alone (100 bucks for the package on Amazon FYI). If the rest of the full swing stuff is even half as good as this I will be way better by the time I am done with this program. I saw immediate improvement at the range. I only mishit 2 balls out of roughly 60. If I could take that to the course it would be a huge improvement! Eliminating 75% of my mishits would have me almost to my goal score.

I also watched the putting lesson (lesson 2) but I was scared to do what they said. I feel like I am a pretty good putter. To be honest, I had a debate if I should even put it in the DVD player. Sometimes I play with guys who shoot in the 70's and I can putt as well as them, and most misses are from misreads, not mishits, while the video only focuses on technique. At my first lesson, the pro watched me putt for about 5 minutes and said "OK, we're gonna leave this alone, no reason to mess with it, lets work on something else." On my at home mat I can knock down 25 7 footers in a row no problem (which I know is 100 times easier than the course). I don't know if any of this matters or not, I just wanted to let you know where my putting skills are.

The reason I got scared to implement what was in this video was literally everything they said to do I do not do. They had this reverse overlap grip and it was just weird feeling. I have all 4 fingers from both hands around the shaft. They preached putting your eye directly over the ball but when I drop a ball my eye is about an inch behind and 2 inches closer to my body (note: I think Phil Mickelson said this is where your eyes should be in his DVD). They also said to make your backswing and follow through the same length but my follow through is longer, though not by much. I watched the entire thing but I am not even going to try to implement anything. If my putting ever falls apart I will come back to it.

How do you guys putt? Those who are good, do you do it the way the DVD describes? What grip do you use? Do you agree with what the DVD says?

I am very excited for the full swing stuff coming up. The next lesson involves an impact bag (included with the package). If it helps even half as much as the grip/alignment/posture video I will be impressed. So far I wish I bought this package the day I decided to actually learn how to play golf for real.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I played at a crazy course this past weekend. Well the course was not crazy but the rough was. They had a sign in the Pro Shop saying they had longer rough than normal to conserve water (it has rained like 2 feet in the last month so whatever) and reduce maintenance cost. They weren't lying. The rough was like a jungle. Easily 8 inches high. If a ball went into it forget about it. Our foursome easily lost 30 balls..... probably closer to 40! I would have made it through the entire round without losing a ball if the rough was normal but I lost 10 I think. It was so bad my buddy tossed a ball out into the rough as a drop and it took us 2 minutes to find it! All 4 of us would see where the ball landed and still come up empty. It was ridiculous. We just quit looking after the front 9.

Is this common? I've never seen it before. If we kept an accurate score for lost balls 130 probably would have won the round. If I snuck out there and mowed all the grass I'd probably find so many balls my car would do a wheelie driving home.

I actually got annoyed about it. Luckily I was playing used noodles (60 for like 18 bucks) but if I had full price balls I'd be really pissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Josh Lyman posted:

I've always wanted to play US Open style rough but that sounds hilarious(ly frustrating).

Is this in California? I've never heard of something like this happening.
You might have played it (didn't you live in Raleigh in the past?). Raleigh Golf Association. Apparently this rough is a new thing. It would be one thing if it was consistent and made sense to get punished where you hit it, but there would be random patches right off the fairway where you're finished even if your shot was fine. Anyone would have lost at least a sleeve of balls there.

I looked around at some reviews afterwards and the accusations seems to be they are just too lazy and/or broke to keep up the course anymore. I believe it because the course is run like poo poo. We had a 1:10 tee time but there is no reason to book one, it is just first come first serve on the first tee. We get there at 1:05 and carts were stacked up like 4 groups deep. Despite that, after the first hole we never had to wait and no one was on our rear end. Apparently back in the day this was a great course, but drat it sucks now. My friend used to play it as a kid but hadn't been there in 15 years and was amazed how far it has fallen. If you know Raleigh, Knights Play is kept up twice as well!