Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007
Anyone have an opinion on the new driving irons that are out? I'm looking to replace the old 1 iron in my bag but want something with a similar low flight because of the ~fun~ wind conditions at the courses I play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007
I think I made a mistake picking my home course this year. I finally snuck out for 9 at a time when it was mostly empty and didn't have to, say, tee off with a 5i on the par 4 holes just to keep up pace of play, and miraculously my score dropped quite a bit. drat 4500y par 66!

(The league is a hell of a lot of fun though)

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007

Mr. BT posted:

I'm wondering if I should keep playing par 3/executive courses until I get better or the real thing?

They're three completely different types of game and all fun in their own way. Go nuts wherever you'd like!

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007

corn in the fridge posted:

Oh cool it seems people actually play golf in this thread. I have just started to pick the game up and today I will be out playing my third ever round. Any tips for beginners?? 🐣

If you get yourself in trouble, get back to the fairway instead of going for a hero shot.

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007
Welp, found a good deal on some blades that fit me. Goodbye single digit handicap!

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007

DoctaFun posted:

And hello.... + handicap?

Nah I'll just meet my goal of being a 15 by the end of the year.

Canadians: Sportchek has a lot of stuff on clearance at decent prices at the moment. I'm not sure if this is everywhere, but it's worth checking out.

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007
Played my first non-best-ball golf in 6 weeks, 9 holes at a nice local course. Even after 5, then couldn't hit a drat tee shot. Pulled my irons way right and sliced my driver a mile the other way. Ended up +3.

Golf.

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007
I was golfing back near home and ended up with the worst lie I've ever had: Alkali. Hit down on the ball? The soil has no structure, hopefully you didn't want to be above the grass on your next shot. Hit before the ball? Hope you enjoy fluffing the ball. Pick the ball perfectly? Nice shot! How's that terrible cloud taste right about now? Good luck getting it off your shoes and club.

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007

sarehu posted:

Yes, hit down on the ball. It'll launch at an upward angle right from the get-go.

Yeah, I said that wrong. Should have been "get on top of the ball".

Halo14 posted:

That photo looks like they poached our useless green keeper. Guy "repaired" the drainage in the bunkers earlier this year because they were filling up with water all the time. 2 months later they did the same thing. Refuses to do a deep core of the greens - they haven't been done in years. So much potential wasted by bad management. Still love it though, it's a fun course and no 2 holes are the same.

The whole course is built on a gross little stream that, I'm assuming, killed any cows that tried to drink out of it so they needed to do something else with the land. It's in spectacular condition goven where they put it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007

EnsGDT posted:

Switch out the sand for dirt and you have anywhere that isn't right in the middle of the fairway on pretty much every Los Angeles public course right now.

How far out were you there?

That is dirt! I was in an area that at one point was fairway, but might be rough now after they added a water hazard. I hit a bad (high fade) drive into the wind to end up where I did. This is where I was, but if you look there are white patches all over that fairway and the other one that runs across the creek.

Great course for being so far in the middle of nowhere. Grass greens were a real treat when I was a kid.