Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh man that Whistling Straits PGA Champ is gonna loving own. Docta, have you had the chance to play it?

Also that is a great OP :allears:

DJExile fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm gonna try to get to Firestone's WGC this year. That's an awesome course and it's basically built entirely for the long-bombers.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

http://deadspin.com/the-pga-is-harshing-on-the-best-hole-in-golf-1679450167

Phew, almost had people having fun at the Phoenix Open. Thank God the PGA nipped that poo poo in the bud.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I'm sure it's a liability thing but holy hell that was so drat much fun.

Also, Rory's got a good leg!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

The Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Double Black Diamond is a revelation. I didn't really like last year's Big Bertha or Big Bertha Alpha so I wasn't expecting to like this year's line either, but the 815 DBD feels much better. I haven't had enough time to properly numbers and dispersion to my 915 D3, but if you're in the market for a lower spinning driver, definitely give it a shot.

That is a street fighter title, not the name of a golf club :psyduck:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rory got his first ace as a pro today at the Abu Dhabi Championship :toot:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kameh posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EsuqNYKWt8

Nut shots are never not funny to me. :allears:

lmao this rules

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Robert Allenby story keeps getting stranger

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah this reeks of a drunken episode or a drug deal gone bad or something, not a goddamn attempted kidnapping

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

You know the stereotype of homeless people randomly washing your windshield at a red light in hopes that you'll give them some money?

This is the golf equivalent.

hahaha I love this and it's a fantastic analogy.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

http://deadspin.com/witness-robert-allenby-hurt-himself-after-a-trip-to-th-1681127848

quote:

Two homeless people who came into contact with Allenby that night have already disputed major details in his story. Now a third, Chris Khamis, is claiming that Allenby's facial injuries were not the result of a beating, but of Allenby drunkenly passing out and bashing his own face on a lava rock. Moments earlier, Allenby apparently told Khamis that he had just come from a strip club, where he had been hoping to "get some action," and believed that he had been drugged.

This is my favorite golf-related story in years :allears:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

You know you're a golf addict when you don't dream about playing golf, you dream about equipment.

I woke up this morning and realized it was actually a dream that I went to a store, looking for a Diamana Blue to test on a launch monitor to see whether I needed more spin with my driver.

well don't leave us hanging, how did Dream Lyman hit it?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I haven't had one single thought about Chuck Knoblauch in years but goddamn is that a great analogy

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

this is an adaptation from Patrick Reed's upcoming book and it's really worth a read.

quote:

Two of Patrick's dominant personality traits emerged early, and both worried his parents, Bill and Jeannette. The first was his incredible capacity for rage. He expected so much of himself that when he went into a slump, he'd transform into a sullen powder keg of frustration and anger, to the point that his parents wondered whether or not he was truly enjoying the sport. Reed always told them he was, but his emotional explosions painted a different picture.

The other problem was his outward shows of confidence, which crossed over into a cocky, arrogant tone too often for Bill's liking. He knew his son's success somewhat depended on this self-assurance, but when Patrick introduced himself to strangers by saying things like, "I'm Patrick Reed, and I'll kick the poo poo out of you at golf any time you want," Bill also knew he had a problem.

hahahaha i love that

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I. loving. Love. The Phoenix Open. Everyone click this right goddamn now.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy poo poo what a kick that thing took

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

daslog posted:

Unfortunately we all get old. Accepting that you can't do what you did when you were 25 isn't so easy.

amen, brother :(:respek::(

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Deadspin's sub-site has a fantastic article about golfing with your father-in-law or boss

quote:

By the time you hit the back nine, it's likely that you'll be too fed up to put any real thought into your stupid tee shot, because golf is stupid and the sun is stupid and old people are stupid. This is a good headspace to be in! You'll be playing with an unencumbered mind, as a man who has already been through the wringer and is now just hacking at the ball because, well, gently caress it. This is when good things will start to happen for you, when your heightened DGAF levels start leading to surprisingly brilliant golf shots. Tell me I'm wrong after you eagle the 18th hole while in a heat-stroke-induced fugue state.

God drat if this isn't true. My "eeh, gently caress it" game is great.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

runoverbobby posted:

I've started to not carry a scorecard when I play alone. I'm sure this is a bad thing to do if you care about your handicap, or like to play in tournaments and need to simulate playing under pressure. But if you just want a confidence boost or motivation to practice more it's pretty great. At the end of the round you remember all the good shots you made, instead of the bad ones that gave you a Bad Number, since there are no Numbers. It's almost therapeutic.

That's honestly a really good idea. I get too self-critical when I play alone and keep staring at my card like it's going to help my game somehow.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Seymour Butts posted:

John Daly shoots a 65 at Pebble Beach today. Let's go, John!!

is he wearing some amazing pants

I hope so :allears:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jiminez and his beautiful hair lead Thailand after a 7 birdie round

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

E oops

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Waldorf Astoria course is gorgeous but your budget will probably only have you playing 9 or taking one of the twilight rates. They really vary depending on when you'll be going

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Unknownmass posted:

Only watched bits and pieces of Sundays round but I could not imagine playing in rain like that. In the next step this year to take golf seriously, I have decided to replace my hand me down wedges. Where do I start? Do all the brands wedges differ large amounts?

Every major brand should have loft wedges of lofts between at least 52 and 58 degrees. It isn't the cheapest but if you can get somewhere that has an outdoor range where you can get a feel for swinging them at various lofts and see what would be most useful for you. Personally I have a 52 (that doubles as a sand wedge) and a 54, because I just cannot hit anything near 60* well.

As far as things like pitching, gap, and sand wedges, same thing. Every brand is going to have them and by and wide they should have similar lofts (A Ping PW shouldn't be really any different loft-wise from a Taylormade, for example). That said, they could have different feels, and 80% of the short game is all about feel (the other 20% is not hitting it fat/thin like I do all the time :downs: ). Any time you can get hitting real balls with them is time well spent. A lot of ranges should have demo clubs you can try. You don't necessarily need to go through a full fitting if you don't have the money, but they're godsends if you do. My fitting at Ping was basically to determine how to consistently hit various distances inside of 100 yards and which wedges would best get me there. Knowing that a full swing of my 54 lob wedge will consistently put the ball 60 yards is a wonderful thing.

Actually executing it well is entirely another :v:

DJExile fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 23, 2015

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah, ideally you'll get to hit these wedges outside, on grass, because it's really tough to get the right feel for them off a mat, although a mat is better than nothing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It's the Wood Anniversary and you got irons

:crossarms:

enjoy em!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

My parents are in Orlando on a trip and got to play Bay Hill :manning:

They ran into Arnold Palmer himself and just sent me a picture of them with him. :manning::manning:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mattfl posted:

Wow that's pretty awesome! Did they know someone to get on? Usually you have to stay there for 2 nights to be able to play if you aren't a member.

I think they were in some organized outing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So not only did my parents run into Arnie but they got to play 2 holes with Bubba loving Watson. :manning:

They said he's very nice (dad: "His drive is just scary in person") and an awesome story-teller.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

thebushcommander posted:

I generally just play 'Wolf' when I am playing with friends, I feel like we'd lose the coins mid-round.

Is that the game where every hole one dude chooses to take on the others to see who gets best score? That's fun as hell.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm going to California on a conference next week and flying USAir. My clubs are going and I'm in a bit of a dilemma. Here's the deal.

I'm already going to have to check a bag. First bag on USAir going domestic is $25. The rules about golf equipment are oddly specific.

quote:

One piece of golf equipment will be accepted in lieu of a piece of baggage (one per person). A pull cart may be included if it is attached to a golf bag. Golf equipment should be enclosed with a cover to prevent loss of contents. Hard sided carriers are recommended. If the golf bag contains anything other than golf equipment and is intended to be used as baggage, then the oversize baggage fee applies.

One item of golf equipment consists of:
1 golf bag, containing no more than 14 golf clubs
12 golf balls
1 pair of golf shoes

Weight limits say anything over 50 lbs is oversize. I can't imagine an Ogio Grom, 14 Pings and 2 shoes are over 50 lbs, but that's not counting the big rear end travel bag it'll all go in. And even the best travel bags (this is a Sun Mountain with a sort of kick-out set of legs that let the thing roll drat near effortlessly) are still cumbersome in airports because, well, they're big bulky golf bags!

So my choice is basically to pay $35 per trip to check the things on the flight as a second checked bag, or just ship the drat things which should cost anywhere from $55 to $gently caress each way as near as I can estimate. There's a lot to be said for convenience and not having to haul the things from parking lot to check-in, then baggage claim to hotel and back again, but anyone who's had any experience with shipping, please let me know how it went for you.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

UnionCarbide posted:

I routinely violate these rules. Nobody's going to check, as long as your bag is under 50. Last time I flew (in Feb, down to Newport Beach), I packed 4 golf shirts into an eBags medium packing cube and stuck them in the big pocket on my golf bag, plus a box of balls, a full ball pocket, shoes, shoe maintenance shite, and assorted other random crap. I think they'll use it as an excuse not to reimburse you if any of your poo poo gets broken, though.

Travel cases/covers aren't too bad to drag around, either. Hard covers can be kind of a pain as you can't take them off and fold them up to fit your clubs into the trunk of a rental car, but they do protect a bit more than a soft cover. Like sarehu, I did long term parking at SFO last time, which is practically in a different county than the airport. Usually I take BART to the airport and it's not any more of a problem there, unless I'm on the train during peak commute hours.

An alternative to shipping or flying with your clubs is to use http://www.clubhub.com/ which will rent you a set of taylormades and deliver them to your destination for about the same price as shipping via fedex.

Yeah the more I think about it, the more I think I'll just fly with the things this time. Shipping is definitely getting cheaper from where it was though.

thebushcommander posted:

That's the game. It pairs well with beer for every putt over par game we play. Although generally the guys I play with I tend to go lone wolf a lot unless it's a par3 where one of my buddies always seems to birdie every par3, but double bogies everything else. It's pretty fun though, especially when you're playing for money :D

Thought so. Yeah it's a riot.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Halo14 posted:

Every second Saturday I play with my old man for :10bux: He's currently playing off a 13hc while I'm 3. Pretty generous head start I reckon.

He was looking confident after 4 holes, then I decided to stop being a spastic:

Missed a 3 foot curler for birdie on the last :(

drat that's a fantastic back 9.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Omerta posted:

Also, I'm thinking about taking a trip up to play Cabot Lodge and Cabot Cliffs. Anyone ever been?

My god those courses look spectacular.

I swung my sticks for the first time since October last week out in Palm Springs. And.... all things considered (105 degrees, unknown course, hit like 3 balls on the range, tired from travel the previous day), I could have done much worse.

I could do almost no wrong at the tee box. My driver is my 4W off the deck (I hosed up recording holes 1-3, those were all with 4W) and I've loved it. I'm catching it very clean and getting a fantastic flight out of it. We started on #12 in an outing. I topped the poo poo out of it on #13 then got into a rhythm after a bit. Super proud of saving myself on #16. My approach and pitching/chipping was anywhere from middling to a disaster, but that's not shocking given I haven't played in a while. Putter wasn't great. I would get gunshy after hammering it by a few cups, then overcompensate back the other way, and never got into a balance. I was in sand more than I care to admit but I was actually pretty decent getting out, so it's nice to know that game hasn't totally left me.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Like my favorite hockey teams (:suicide:), I have decided to take up golfing. Unlike said teams, I haven't golfed in 11 years. I understand practice makes perfect, but how far should I go before getting lessons from a golf pro?

If you can swing and reliably make contact (even if the contact sucks), I'd say lessons are fine at any point. Good instructors can help you from almost any level.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ow.

Let that thing heal up first. You'll be back into it soon :shobon:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holmes was out of his mind. That was a hell of a round.

Spieth has been a blast to watch lately too.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

drat mattfl that looks gorgeous

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

drowningidiot posted:

I don't watch lots of golf, much less LPGA, but I just saw Sei Young Kim chip in on the 18th to force a playoff and then hole out for eagle from 150 to win.

Insane

Video for those that missed it. It was spectacular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Congrats Docta! :toot: