Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
At age 27, i had never picked up a golf club before and just started some group golf lessons about four weeks ago. I was given a hand me down set of irons/hybrids that are in good condition, but I don't have a driver. It's a bit intimidating trying to figure out brands, lofts, etc but I think I've decided what to go with. That said, I have no idea what to pick for shaft flex. I don't swing well enough right now to judge it based on random online things I have read (distance with specific irons or other ideas), but I'd at least like to practice with it. Do you all have any idea what a beginner should start with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Today was a great golf day for me. I started learning to golf earlier this summer and took a batch of four group lessons after never touching a club before. I got through those with some small improvements, and tried another set. I'm on week three of four and it finally clicked. I finally, through lots of small changes, am able to hit the ball consistently and correctly. I'm not good at all, but the feeling of not consistently topping the ball or swatting it to the side is fantastic. What a game.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Halo14 posted:

Fingers crossed then I guess.

I really like the copper face on these Cleveland putters!

I really want to get one of these, but I'm super split between the blade and the mid mallet. My stroke is definitely an arc, and I've never used a mallet type before, but I'm tempted to try the mid to get something different.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Sataere posted:

Any of you guys in the Chicagoland area and feel like golfing tomorrow? Got the day off and would really love some company as I try to break 100 :v:

Man I wish. I was looking for golfing buddies in Chicago and never had good luck. I just moved to Louisville a week ago though, so I'm out.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Sataere posted:

I just got back from playing nine and kind of feel like never golfing again. I can't afford lessons and I can't stop arm swinging. It really drives me nuts that I have the flexibility to bring my hips back at a 90 degree angle with no effort, but once I get out of my back swing it's all arms. Nothing says gently caress golf like not being able to get your driver 150 yards with any consistency.

I might suggest the group lessons at the Skokie sports park. They won't get you too far, but i got some basic tweaks and it was like 100 for four lessons. I thought they were well worth it. They have more advanced group lessons after the intro ones that assume cover more, but I didnt get to take them.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

I'm due to upgrade my irons after using a 15+ year old hand me down set for a while now. I saw Cobra is releasing a 1-length set because of DeChambeau. I know this is super uncommon up until this point, but has anyone seen/used any before? I know brands have come and gone with these before - any input on if this is just a gimmick?

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Broke 100 for the first time ever today after taking lessons. I'm playing with a 15 year old driver and a 20 year old set of irons but having a blast finally getting my swing to "click." I left way too many putts out there (had a 4 put double bogey on a par 3 where I hit the green), so I know where I can focus.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Anyone have experience with the Samsung active 2 golf edition? I have a garmin s2 that constantly loses satellite. I'm hesitant to spend more with Garmin, despite their reputation, and looking for alternatives. I don't care much for club predictions or goofy addons- just accurate gps and shot recording.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Been golfing for about 5 years and finally broke 90. Shot an 85. Feels good to finally have a full, competant round. Left a lot of puts out there, as well as some bad bump and runs, but it feels great to finally get a breakthrough round.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

I broke a 7 iron club head clean off trying to hit down on a mat on concrete. The rubber tube tees also suck with driver and are so drat loud.

Never again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Bought one ticket for Valhalla Sunday. I look forward to walking from my house there next year.