Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Does anyone that's played the Rory McIlroy PGA Tour game have any insight on it? I had a lot of fun with the last Tiger Woods game, and the trailer for this game looked pretty good. Apparently it was released with barely any courses, but they have since added some? There's also some goofy mini-games? Any info would be appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Not getting lessons ruined golf for me. I randomly picked up the game, taught myself all the worst possible habits. Can't play for poo poo. I've broke 100 maybe a handful of times. I just made golf miserable for myself. Now I would have to undo a decade of bad habits, so I just quit.

Get lessons. I cannot stress this enough. At the very least take one lesson so you get the fundamentals down and have an idea of what to try to do.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Has everyone gotten their e-mail regarding 2018 Masters ticket selection yet? A few friends got an email saying they weren't chosen, but I haven't received anything yet. I'm wondering if that's a good sign?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Logged into the site, I wasn't chosen either :(

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Suprfli6 posted:

I had a double eagle tonight!

You've done something most people will never do in life. That's loving awesome. Congratulations!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Who cares if they walk off the green? It’s a dick move but just take your time and putt normally. If they say something tell them you are taking as much time as they took. No need to get out the rule book.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Lincoln posted:

How do I swing a pair of tickets to the Masters? I know it’s freakishly expensive, but as I browse the options with all the ticket resellers, I see options like ‘Grounds,’ ‘badge,’ ‘hospitality,’ but I don’t know what any of that means. A 4-day pass is out of the question, but if I wanted to spend one day (with friend) during regular play, what do I need to look for? Seems my cheapest option is about $1k/day/person, correct? Anybody been?

I went in 2016 after winning the lottery. If you aren't lucky enough to do that (You probably wont be, it's the hardest ticket to get in all of sports), you are looking at at $1,000+ per person, per day. There were tons of people trying to sell tickets on the side of the road around town, but I don't think they were any cheaper than you'd find online somewhere.

It was an absolutely AMAZING experience though, I can't recommend it enough. It's easily the most beautiful golf course I've ever seen. Unbelievably meticulously groomed, like every single blade of grass was put in place by hand. I also loved the fact that you can't bring a cell phone inside. At every sporting event now, 50% of the people are staring at their phones the whole time. It's really refreshing to not have any distractions, and just be able to enjoy golf and your surroundings all day.

If you go on a practice day, definitely park yourself at the 16th hole for a while. All the players will take their normal tee shot, but they will also drop a second ball at the front edge of the pond, and try to skip the ball off the water and up onto the green. They encourage the crowd to get into it, and it's really fun. See here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PL-DFrgzRs

RCarr fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 21, 2018

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I forgot about the food prices. It’s amazing. Like $3-$5 for sandwiches/burgers/chicken fingers. $1 for a banana/apple/orange, etc.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

mattfl posted:

Hell even the beer cups are souvenirs as they are a nice plastic and have the Masters logo on them. I have 3 or 4 of them as well lol

Yeah I have 5 of those cups as well :)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What course?!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'm excited to go to the US Open in June!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sataere posted:

Fifth shot.... is in the hole. I have very mixed feelings about this.

Fixed this for you to help with all the confusion.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

daslog posted:

then you suck at ball striking.

I don't need any further testing to tell me this

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'm going to the Sunday round of the US Open in Shinnecock. I'm going to put some money on someone to make it more interesting and give myself someone to root for. Who should I bet on?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'll play music, but only if I'm in a foursome with friends that I know don't mind it. That's really the only time it's ok to do something like that on a golf course.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

No it isn't. There are other people on the golf course too.

Playing music on the course is loving lovely and I hate that all the new carts come with USB outlets to make it even easier to do so.

Relax grandpa. I'm not blasting music that would be loud enough for anyone outside of 10 feet away to hear. I obviously would turn it off if anyone else was nearby.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

As multiple people have said, if we bring music on the course, we play it at a level where ONLY we can hear it, and turn it off completely if anyone is nearby. I'm not going to some fancy golf course, I'm going to the local county course to get drunk and hang with my buddies for a few hours. If I want to bring some music to play respectfully, I will.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

ironlung posted:

Story time. Every Tuesday evening during the summer about a hundred people meet at a local brewery and then once good and lubed up they ride around town on cruiser bikes, drink beer, and be generally obnoxious. I have done it before, it's a good time. Anyway, at my home course there is this little park right by the 16 tee box with an open field, a basketball court, swing set, etc. Most of the time it's empty or very quiet. I went out solo after dinner tonight and played the back 9 and sure enough as I was walking up to the 16 tee, all these bike/brew revelers were at the park making a pitstop to party for a bit before moving on to their next destination. On my way from 15 green to 16 tee I walked past the park and exchanged pleasantries with a couple dudes but nobody really paid me much attention.

I pulled driver and stepped up on the tee box. As soon as I put my tee in the ground I immediately heard what sounded like every single person in the park going "SHHHHHH, SHHHHHHHH, SHHHHHHH" and it was at this point I realized that lots of people were going to watch me hit this tee shot. The shushing continued until I addressed the ball and then all these drunk people fell into what I assume was a good natured yet patronizing "respectful silence" probably waiting for me to snap hook one into the pond so they could point and laugh. I am not in the habit of playing golf with like a hundred spectators so I was feeling self-conscious and when I took the club back I could feel my adrenaline was up. Luckily I put a good swing on it, found the sweet spot, and ripped as long of a drive as I can hit, a piercing baby cut that easily flew the trees in the dogleg and faded back towards the fairway. And these mother fuckers erupted like it was hole 16 at the Waste Management instead of 16 at the local muni. I unconsciously engaged tour sauce protocol: held finish, club twirl, grabbed my tee before the ball landed, turned around and gave my "gallery" a tip of the cap and tried to walk off as if drives like that are my standard procedure but unfortunately I think I was laughing too hard to pull it off.

I heard them do the same thing to the twosome behind me too. Pretty hilarious.

This is great :)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

We do scrambles almost every time I play with my group of friends. Some of us are good and some suck, but we all like to play. Just split up the best players, and then fill in their teams with the weaker players.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Moral of the story is don't leave before you get your prize.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Drive there, call the cops, say the assistant pro just robbed you. When the cops arrive, walk them inside and explain what happened.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sataere posted:

It's story time

Yup, let’s hear it

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sounds like every year of my golfing life

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

That is a sickness

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Daric posted:

No clue, I’m not privy to equipment change information unfortunately. I’m watching his caddy’s dogs on Saturday though so I’m going to steal a bunch of memorabilia from his house.

I'll pay big bucks for his toilet seat cover.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I was lucky enough to win the Masters lottery in 2016. Everyone sells tickets, they don't enforce it. I kept two tickets and sold the rest and it paid for my father and me to travel down there and then some.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

From my Masters experience the best 2 places to be are the infamous par 3 and the Amen corner. Get a good spot at both and spend most of your day there. Hit the merch tent FIRST as the best stuff sells out super quick. Enjoy the affordable food and beer. The course is ridiculous. It looks like every blade of grass was placed by hand. Have fun!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Enjoy being terrible at golf now, when it's ok, because you've never played before. Enjoy this time, because many years / new clubs / lessons / rounds played from now you will still be terrible and you'll hate yourself for it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I’m going to Bethpage on Friday!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

DJExile posted:

Saw my doc today after getting back in the states. Surgery is scheduled for Tuesday. Timeline is to be walking without a boot in 6-8 weeks and full recovery is 6 months.

This kind of goes without saying but fully dedicate yourself to the physical therapy. A serious ankle injury will gently caress you up for life if you don’t take care of it the right way.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I mean I suck at golf and struggle to break 100 but I take approximately 20 seconds max to make each shot. Are there really people who suck like I do who are taking minutes before each shot? That would be infuriating.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I got selected to buy tickets for the 2020 Ryder Cup. Is that rare or is it one of those things where everyone who puts in gets selected?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

mattfl posted:

I got the same email and the consensus on reddit is that it’s not a guarantee like The Masters is and it seems everyone on reddit who entered got selected. Who knows, I’m going to try for 4 practice day tickets and 4 match day tickets if I get in. Take my pops a friend and his dad and make a week outta it.

Yea I entered in my name and my girlfriend’s name and we both got selected. My friend who entered also got selected...

Looks like it puts you in the queue with a randomly assigned number when they go on sale, so I guess you still need to be lucky enough to get a good spot.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Also start training yourself to say “gently caress” after every shot.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Dr. Capco posted:

I had 1 putt hit the center of the flagstick and bounce out because the pool noodle in the cup only had less than half an inch of depth

There’s no reason not to count that putt. Why would you do that to yourself.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What’s the best way to work on ball striking?

I played golf when I was young and had a pretty good game, but then I didn’t play for 10+ years. I’m getting back into it and I’m wildly inconsistent. I’ll hit a beautiful 200 yard shot onto the green one hole, then duff the same shot 50 yards the next.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

If you are a group of people who all aren’t breaking 100, I recommend playing 2v2 best ball. It makes golf soooo much more enjoyable.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Grip it and rip it

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

daslog posted:

Shot a career best 86 today. No 7's 1 birdie, 4 pars, and a whole bunch of bogies.

Congrats! That’s awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Daric posted:

Also, we're all clear that it's "playing golf" not "golfing" right? You don't say "I was basketballing the other day"

I’m pretty sure everyone uses golfing. Plenty of people say “balling” as well for playing ball.