Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
In a last ditch effort to fix my swing before I quit golf again, I signed up for a series of lessons at Seth Dichard golf schools in Southern NH. I have been pulling the ball, hitting the ball thin and fat, and have all kinds of contact issues. Last year I broke 90 three times, this year my best was around 94. This is really discouraging when I read about all the people shooting low 80s. I'm also paying more attention to the other people in my league that I considered myself to be equal to and I'm realizing that they suck and I suck worse.

Anyway, I get there and after a ten minute interview, they took some video of my swing and we sat down and did some analysis. While I have some faults in my swing, he didn't think I was that far off. To me, that isn't saying much because what instructor is going to say that you have no hope of improvement.

Anyway, the faults.

Too much backswing with my irons. I'm going past parallel.
I swing over the top. This I knew.
My backswing is too inside on the way up, which makes over the top worse.
My back foot isn't coming off the ground until after contact.
I don't bend my knees enough. The arthritis doesn't help this.

He then gave me a bunch of drills to work with. Line up a tee six inches back and one inch inside. Hit both the tee and the ball. This one is really hard for me to do because the way I swing. It's like learning golf all over again he also gave me a gate drill (for my toe hits) and a drill with a pool noodle and an alignment stick (swing over it on the backswing and under it on the downswing).

I've hit a small bucket three times since the lesson 4 practice swings for every real swing and played in the league last night and tied my worst score for the year.

Not ready to give up yet but the results are not encoo so far...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

DJExile posted:

Yeah shortening your backswing is a massive help.

Nothing seems to help. Just had a disaster of a range session. Short bucket, doing the drills, and the results are bad. I'm just very frustrated at this point.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Halo14 posted:

4 of those 5 faults I had. It took over a year of semi regular lessons to correct them and I am a lot more consistent now and have a solid understanding of my swing.

I almost gave up completely during this process because everything he was teaching me made no sense. I totally understand your frustration and feeling of hopelessness. Thing is - it's very difficult to change muscle memory and bad habits in a golf swing. You need to decide if you want to go through the tough process building a foundation from scratch or just be content in what you have. Essentially the total cost in dollars for all of my lessons would be equivalent to a new set of clubs. I know now that I made the smarter investment.

107 today, after hitting the range literally every day. The only positive is that I only pulled one ball left. My confidence is now completely shot.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Homestar Runner posted:

this old chestnut

Yep, he pulled it off. I think coming back from an injury like this at his age and winning a tournament is an amazing achievement.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Homestar Runner posted:

either that or go get a lesson tbh

So I ended up buying a series of lessons with Eric at the Seth Dichard golf school in Nashua NH. I mentally committed myself to practicing only what he wanted me to do. The first lesson start out with 10 minutes of interview, followed by recording some swings on camera and walking through them in slow motion detail. I'm sure it's no surprise to anyone that my dead pulls were caused by an over the top swing with a dead pull with a closed face that matched my swing path. Other things tossed in were a takeaway too far inside, a backswing that went beyond level, a stance that was too tall, and knees that were not bent enough, and standing too far from the ball with my hands too far from my body. On the plus side my stance with and grip are perfect.

Step 1: Fixing the back swing and stance. I spent 15 minutes in the morning every day just working on setup and the take-away.

Step 2: Changing the over the top to something closer to neutral. This required purchasing a bag of 1000 tees off of Amazon, setting up the tees in on an inside to out line, and knocking them all down. I also learned how to read my divots. A Small bucket of balls every day, 4 swings knocking the tees down then 1 swing hitting a ball off the tee with an iron with tees setup on a similar path
Step 3: Fixing the face angle at impact. (yesterday's lesson) Apparently I had developed this bad habit of keeping the face open to match my over the top swing path. My body did this automatically hitting a face/slice is the only way to keep the ball in play when you are over the top. He had me swing a weird bendy pipe semi golf club looking training aid that makes your wrist turn over like they should to get the feel of it. First thing he did was have me hit ridiculous hooks of the tee with an eight iron. Once I could bend it with my eight iron, He then stuck an alignment stick with a pool noodle vertically in the ground 10 feet in front of my target line and had me try to hit the ball to the right of the noodle and hook at around it. First shot went right into the noodle. Second shot went about 250 with a nice draw.

I have a lot more to practice, and I've yet to see the scores improve but I know this is going to be a long process. I've already seen my ball fight and contact dramatically, and I'm hitting a my irons over the green a bit as I adjust to my new distances.

daslog fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Oct 6, 2018

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Popero posted:

I'll be curious to hear about the rest of your program with them since I get up there somewhat regularly and have been really unhappy with the lessons I've taken down my way. I suppose there's always Golftec :/

It's taken me four different places to find a coach that I can work with. Making the right connection isn't easy.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Dr. Capco posted:

Am I an rear end in a top hat if I take a small range bucket and go to a far away hitting area and practice my 10-20 yard pitches then go out and pick them up again to hit full shots? I did the yesterday at one of the munis and the assistant pro stopped a lesson to walk all the way down to where I was hitting and tell me not to hit balls I haven't paid for. I've done this for years and nobody has seemed to care. Kinda ruined my practice session but I didn't want to make a big scene and ruin everyone else's range time.

Depends on the facility. Make a post on their facebook telling them that they suck and go somewhere else.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
It's dumb because a million dollars is chump change for both of these guys. It's the equivalent of two hacks betting 100 dollars at your local muni.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Finally found a golf instructor that I like. He takes videos my swing, clearly explains what he sees that's good and what needs work. Here is a fun list of swing faults!

Alignment: (too far to the right) fixed
Knees not flexed enough. Fixed
Standing too upright. Fixed
Back too hunched. In process
Take away too far inside causing an over the top swing path. In process
Faced too closed to compensate for all of the above. In process.

It's like untangling a knot. I'm definitely seeing improvement in distance and I hit a lot more draws now. Looking forward to hitting the course to see where I'm at.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I got ranged fitted at Demo day today at the Ping booth. The i500 and the i210 are both nice. Both my instructor and the guys at the range think I need to switch to stiff shafts for the irons, but I don't feel like shelling out 1200 for a new set. Thoughts on this:

Ping i200 Green Dot 4-W Irons NS Pro Modus 3 Stiff Steel 7 Club Set P2091
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ping-i200-...ity!03055!US!-1

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

torgeaux posted:

Go for it. Do you need the clubs that upright? Mine are 2 degrees up, so green dot fits me...what do you normally have?

Yellow Dots right now, which they don't even make anymore. The Ping guys were pretty cool and fitted me on the range .

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I like this way better. Just show up and play.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

daslog posted:

Finally found a golf instructor that I like. He takes videos my swing, clearly explains what he sees that's good and what needs work. Here is a fun list of swing faults!

Alignment: (too far to the right) fixed
Knees not flexed enough. Fixed
Standing too upright. Fixed
Back too hunched. In process
Take away too far inside causing an over the top swing path. In process
Faced too closed to compensate for all of the above. In process.

It's like untangling a knot. I'm definitely seeing improvement in distance and I hit a lot more draws now. Looking forward to hitting the course to see where I'm at.

I know you guys love hearing about all of my swing faults, so here is what I got from my lesson this week.

My swing path has gone from 20 degrees over the top to about 4 degrees. More work to do there. I was feeling stuck, which was happening because my right elbow is too low on the backswing. "It should feel like you are a waiter carrying a tray.". Another thing to practice is keeping my knees flexed the entire time. I tend to straighten them up and hit the ball thin or fat when I have to come back down.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Halo14 posted:

Sounds like me a couple of years ago. I'm more in-to-out now and have trouble intentionally fading the ball. Stock shot is a small draw or straight. It's all about correcting the swing path before anything else.

Virtual golf (good equipment but not quite trackman) was one of the great tools that helped provide immediate feedback. I started about 15 degrees out to in and it was really weird feeling getting down to -5 and closer to 0. Helped to ingrain the feel.

Stick with it, tough but rewarding experience.

I practice a lot and I can feel it getting better, but it's hard to do much when you have little faith in the ball going in the right direction off the tee.

My other big challenge is fixing my balance and form with my Drive. Still working on it because not being able to be consistent off the tee is just killing my game.

daslog fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Apr 23, 2019

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
My 6 hybrid is one of my favorite clubs. Great for bad lies and bump and runs around the green.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I finally decided on the ping g400 irons. Got fitted at a demo day and found a used set with my exact specs on eBay for 500.

Last year's irons are just so much cheaper

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

torgeaux posted:

Except for wedges, if you can find your specs, used is always the way to go.

I have a groove sharpener I got off of Amazon for my wedges. After I welded an extension to the handle it works really well.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Lessons paid off this weekend

87 ties my best score. My new clubs come in next week, just in time to mess me up!

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

torgeaux posted:

Not trying to net fix here, but what were your fairway misses on the front 9? It's so consistent, were they all left, all right? Just curious, the consistency there is unusual. Good scrambling on that front, really nice work.

Mostly fades to the right just off the fairway. I was leaving the face open a bit.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Josh Lyman posted:

Honestly, BAD is a bad instructor. He did nothing to combat the lovely golfer’s instinct to flip at the ball. Phil’s explanation here is much easier to understand and much easier to implement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtxWtCUs-rs

They actually don't teach Phil's method anymore from what I have been told by instructors.. It's been judged to be too difficult to execute unless you hit a million chips a day.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

BCRock posted:

So they replaced it with what? Decel and flip the clubhead at the ball?

Using the bounce of the irons to avoid fat shots is all the rage. Something like in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmXyVTSQdkI

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I have the same problem when I sub. I think it's because I pit more pressure on myself.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

torgeaux posted:

Does anyone else watch any of the golf youtubers? I follow Rick Shiels and Peter Finch mostly, and have enjoyed the Golf Sidekick lately.

None of them are "here's how to correct a slice" kind of channels, but more observations on equipment, and playing with the occasional lesson. The sidekick is more of a course strategy guy (he can be a bit of an rear end, but not too bad).

Golf Sidekick is great. I like his thought process and I find it helps my scores.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Shrapnig posted:

Well he was right...

Of course he was right. The Women's tour is dominated by Korea, where they are all trained to be boring, robot-like golfers that take forever to take a shot .

Hank's crime was admitting the women's tour is dull.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

greatapoc posted:

I had my second ever lesson today and I'm so glad that I did. After my first experience with lessons felt like a colossal waste of money I stumbled across a new place that just opened up with indoor lessons on Flightscope and they were doing 50% off for opening so I figured why not. It was so so good. I've been struggling with a wicked driver slice and iron fade for a while now that I haven't been able to get on top of and he identified my swaying immediately and gave me some things to try.

The first lesson I had was outside with no video or anything so I had no feedback other than the ball flight I observed and what the guy was telling me so I felt like that was a total waste of money. He was basically just showing me what a good swing looks like but not showing me what my faults were. With the Flightscope I was able to see straight away what my path and face angle were and could see the relationship between what I was doing and what flight I was producing.

This whole time I thought this nice little fade I had on my short irons was evidence that I do actually have a good swing it's just a problem with my driver but I was still showing outside-to-in but my club face was slightly open which made it reasonably straight with a small fade. Because I'd never seen myself on video I had no idea just how much my left leg was moving away from the target and how that left me with nowhere to go on the downswing other than outwards. He put a basketball between my knees and made me rotate through the backswing and my god there's muscles being activated I didn't even know I had. I've still got quite a way to go as it feels very tight and foreign but the results I was seeing were exciting especially when I was able to make it go left which I never do.

Video is a huge deal for me too. There are a lot of teaching pros that know what's wrong, but most can't communicate it back to their students effectively.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
The biggest problem I see with scoring is that your typical golfer will go look for the ball he just hit in the woods, not find it, and then will just drop a ball and give himself a one stroke penalty. (I see these on OB shots too). The USGA put in that "local rule" that allows you to drop in the fairway with a 2 stroke penalty, but everyone ignores it because local rules are misunderstood and are rarely posted by clubhouses.

What the USGA should have done was make the rule mandatory.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Summit posted:

Really want to kill dead this over the top move I have. Hitting irons and about half my drives soooo good then every once in a while get a nasty pull into the woods that destroys my score for that hole.

Hardest part about golf is nothing feels the way it is. I am keenly aware of this problem, try hard not to do it, it never feels like I am doing it, and yet flight path doesn’t lie.

Last year I was pulling everything. All it took for me to get rid of my over the top move was 8 lessons a swing rebuild, and 6 months at the range at least three days a week.

At this point it's almost natural to hit a nice draw, but I still have to think about swinging out in backswing to make it work.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Halo14 posted:

If you're serious about playing and improving then definitely go see PGA Pro for lessons. Establishing the foundations of a swing at the start is so valuable.

This times 1000. Taking internet advice will just mess you up more.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I have the chipping yips so bad right now that I can't even practice them without shanking the ball. I don't even want to play anymore.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

torgeaux posted:

gently caress that, it's the worst.

What technique do you usually use? What distances are killing you?

When mine bit me hard, I changed to the weirdest setup I could find and just said gently caress it. Feet together (literally touching), aimed hard left, opened the club face, swing away. Worked for shots 25 yards or less until I could get my chips more standard on the range.

Great question. I was using the "hand forward, weight forward" but I was chunking everything. I tried a couple of youtube videos, now I'm just lost. Anything around the green.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Dr. Capco posted:

I had a super bad time the last year and a half with my chips but I've gone to Dan carrahers chipping method and it's been good the last two months or so for me. Lots of using the bounce and it seems impossible to gently caress up after you practice it for a bit.

Have a link to a video? I did a Google search and all I found was a couple of really low quality videos with so much wind noise I couldn't hear what's going on

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
What do you do with your right arm? Fold it or keep it straight?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I decided to buy my first new putter after all these years of f playing golf. The local Golf and Ski has a nice putter fitting setup where I learned all kinds of horrible things about my putting stroke. Definitely a worthwhile experience to see where I'm hitting the ball on the face, how much the face turns and how much I cut across the ball.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Is there some reason that I can't find a 5 hybrid with a stiff shaft?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
So I'm taking lessons and trying to learn to swing on to out. The problem is that I feel like I'm trying to steer the club in the downswing. It is like I'm using my biceps to force it.

Its pretty frustrating.

daslog fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 21, 2020

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Anyone successfully battle toe strikes? Last year I was doing some drills that would force me to reach out farther, but I'm still seeing them this spring. If you beat the dreaded toe strike, how did you do it?

Applies to both irons and driving

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Have some Brooks driving left handed.

https://twitter.com/claudeharmonIII/status/1241033974920740864

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
23 dollars for a chipping new and some cheap indoor balls. It's nothing special but my short game needs work and Covid -19 sucks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QR1HL5D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Scenario: You are buying a house with a 4 car heated and insulated garage. It is 45' * 25' with ceilings that are at least 10 feet high (probably higher). You have $15,000 budget for a simulator but you rwife demands half of that for granite counter-tops and other worthless crap in the kitchen that no sane person should care about. What to do with the remaining $7500 for a sim? Save money for a better sim? Buy something now? New or used?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

DJExile posted:

I'd have to imagine right now simulators are selling like crazy so in any event you may be best off waiting and just setting up a mat and net for like $150 to hit into if you've really gotta have something for the time being.

I've got time. We don't close for another month, and I can get by all summer at the local driving range. I'd still at least like to plan for something.