Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Today I learned to not overthink my bunker shots. 2 over through 8 holes, got a birdie on 8 and teed up on 9. 185 meters over water with bunkers all around the green. I hit a nice 6 iron but it lands in the left side bunker, just pulled it a bit.

The ball sat up a bit in the sand and I was worried about going straight under it. So I close the clubface a bit and put it back in the stance and...flub it straight into the same bunker. The next shot, instead of just playing to keep it in play, I try a fancy open face thing and hit it off the hosel into another bunker. Finally, I accept I've hosed myself and just hit a normal bunker shot out and two putt for triple bogey.

Because there was nobody around, I setup another bunker shot exactly the same as my first, on the little mound etc, and instead of overthinking it for the par save I just aimed at the pin and hit a normal shot. Comes out totally normally and I knock it in from 4 foot for par :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I mean, a “fancy open face thing” is the correct way to hit a greenside bunker shot. Trying it hit it like a normal pitch is actually much harder to successfully execute consistently. Just gotta practice bunker shots, same as you would any other part of your game.

It's hard to describe what I mean but normally with bunker shots I open the face and the stance and kinda take a measured swing at it, and the ball will always leave the bunker but it's hard to make stop when short sided. In this instance I was shortsided onto a downhill slope so I tried to open it up even further and really just dig it out of there and I just totally hosed it.

A good comparison would be a pitch verses a flop, the pitch is predictable and repeatable but sometimes you gotta go with the flop. In my situation, I way overthought both of the first two bunker shots and tried to do something low percentage for what turned out to be no reason anyway.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

That course looks pristine. Should make for some excellent golf!

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

This is a really good idea! I'll do a hole next time I get out there as well. But also - gently caress that! I like how your ball was like less than half a foot from being on a hardpan lie there.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

My irons went to poo poo over the last week and a half, couldn't work out what was wrong. Felt really uncomfortable, especially shorter irons but also weird shots like chips and stuff. I was having another bad range session today, trying all different things until finally I realised my grip had gone to absolute shite. Like, regressed back 6 months ago. How does that happen, for real?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Here's a hole I like at my local course. The 11th from the whites is a 496 Meter (542 yard), left par 5. This is a trap of a tee shot - anywhere left of the small hill on the right side of the fairway is going to roll way, way down to the left, and if you're a reasonably long player you'll likely find yourself in a grass channel that runs across the centre of the fairway. I always aim basically where the people are walking here.

I hit a pretty good drive here that went slightly left of where I was aiming and you can see I got done in by the slope of the fairway. This picture shows the grass channel as well, and given where you'll be aiming, if you end up on that slope you've got a horrid shot for your second.

This second shot is what makes the hole interesting. You can, in theory, shoot straight over the dogleg. From where my ball is here, according to my watch it was 190m (207y) to the front of the green, which would be a 4-iron for me. But, doing so, you take on both the trees immediately in front of you (if you hit it low) and then the big gum tree as your shot starts descending. I've hit over these trees quite a few times but I've never done better than landing it about 30 meters off the front edge because I'm not game to take on the gum.

For a layup, you have two options; you can shoot an iron (6 or 7) straight over the tallest tree there which gets you closer to the green, but you end up in danger of going long if you push it anywhere right, as the fairway is narrow where you need to land it, or being without a 3rd if you pull it left. I've pulled countless irons out of that grass channel to end up in the rough just off the left side of the fairway and had no shot because of the trees overhanging the fairway.

I think if I can somehow find another 15m on the driver (certainly in summer when the ball starts running on the fairway again) I would be keen to take those trees on more often. But in this case I decided to play smart man's golf and lay up, aiming just to the right edge of the trees there, leaving me with around 90m (98y) into the centre of the green. The approach into the green is straightforward but it slopes harshly from back-to-front - anything past the pin is probably dead, and if you end up on that back left mound it's a really difficult chip shot. The bunkers on this hole should never come into play if you lay up, regardless of where the pin is.

I had people waiting on me to hit through on the next hole so I didn't take a pic of the green or my approach, but I hit it clean but unfortunately about 15 feet past the hole and two putted.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Suprfli6 posted:

I successfully defended my club championship again this weekend, but the pace of play was horrendous thanks to one guy that was in my group both days which really made it tough to have a good time. Yesterday we played as a threesome in 4 hours and today in a foursome in 4:30 and we never had anybody in front of us slowing us down either day. I can't comprehend how people enjoy playing golf at that pace on a daily basis.

What was the culprit? Practice swings, over analysing, just straight up walking too fuckin slow?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

The Garmin app just updated so you can shoot at little practice greens on the driving range. I love it.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Cam Smith going across is a terrible blow to the tour and the game of professional golf, if he does.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Internet Savant posted:

Pre-swing- "I hope it goes straight"
Swing - blank, brief moment of zen
Post-swing - "aw hell, I think I'm behind a tree. Bummer"

My golf game is immeasurably better when I just think about hitting the golf ball onto the green. It's actually insane. You turn off the bit that says "you have to hit this pure" and suddenly you hit way more greens

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Hit the longest drive I've ever hit on the course today - 270m, no wind at all, unsure how far it carried but the fairways are soaked at the moment so couldn't have been too far.

I've changed my swing on my drive to let myself reach a bit further back and release and it's made a huge difference. On the other hand, I've got the opposite way with my irons, where I've moved to a more compact swing and focus on accelerating through the ball. Huge difference!

The courses here are starting to really deteriorate though due to the sheer amount of cold and rain we've had. They were so lush not 6 months ago and now it's like hitting through mud on the centre of some fairways. You hate to see it!

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Aggro posted:

What a wild collapse by Scheffler today. Just couldn’t get anything going. I can’t imagine the pain of blowing a six-stroke lead to the cost of about $12 million.

The story of today was Sung-Jae. That lad was playing out of his mind and unfortunately made one bad mistake with a fluff chip costing him a double-bogey, then he chokes on the 18th. By all accounts he had every right to win by two strokes today.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Cam Smith leaving is a huge blow.

My feel on this is; either these guys on the Liv tour are going to show up at the majors and compete, or they will all sink into obscurity.

If cam comes out and wins another major next year it's gonna be loving rough for the PGA

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Farking Bastage posted:

There's a "shot tracer" app for iOS. The interface is the clunkiest thing I've ever seen, but it does work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBkOF_s-YCw

What's more concerning to me is I have to hit an 8 iron for 135 yards. I hit that shot about as center of the clubface as it gets, but I guess I'm not getting much, if any lag. Also, if I hadn't hit the ball first that was going to be a chunky monkey supreme.

Something else I don't understand about the golf swing: I feel like I'm about to twist completely off my front foot. That can't be right. At least it's my front foot instead of my back one :v:

your front foot should be pretty open but the feeling of twisting into your front knee is normal. It's a common source of golf injuries so there is some new ideas floating around that the scott schefller full rotation motion may actually be better long term

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Tennis and other sports ingrains some bad mechanics in though is the only issue. From playing tennis for a decade I do a lot of early extension because the move when you hit a shot is to drive up from your legs

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Weedle posted:

the guys who left the pga tour to join liv after owgr said no liv players would receive ranking points are now mad that they are not receiving owgr ranking points

https://twitter.com/NoLayingUp/status/1572225837138841604

Makes you wonder how much of this was communicated to the players when they were defecting. I wouldn't be surprised if Liv was like "oh yeah they say that but no way are they going to enforce it"

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

I hit those punch shots through tiny tree gaps perfectly like 90% of the time. It's the shot where there's a tree above the shot where I will hit the tree 100% of the time even when I'm trying to flight it lower.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Shot a low score since returning to the game of 77 - which included a three putt, a missed three footer and one ball in the water!

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Farking Bastage posted:

9 iron towards a tree ~135 yards away. Since I can just let things go without worrying about taking someone out down the line, it's already making my practice better.
*still*over the top
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_KrEDSdT00

Shortened up some and better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_N3XYq3aII

It seems like everything goes back to the length of my backswing. I don't have woman hips like Rory and I can't disjoint my upper and lower body as well as others. When I draw back past a certain point I get WAY out of shape to the point of my feet lifting. When I shorten up and keep everything tight, I can stripe them. Dispersion with a 9 iron on the first video was enough to miss both sides of a typical green. Dispersion from the second video was all on a typical green.

I'm going to have fun out here giving myself a whole lot of poo poo to think about. :haw:

You're breaking your wrists way too early and it's causing you to get jammed as you try to play catch-up with the rest of your body and the result is your right arm is way too close to your body.

I think if you fix that one thing the rest of your swing will follow.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Farking Bastage posted:

So, do you more forcefully hold the wrist angle as you're coming down? I'm an ape honestly. I remember trying to fix that before and got some monster OB hooks.

To me it feels like my initial backswing is shallower and my swing is "shorter", you'll definitely pull a lot of golf balls to start because your clubface will be much more closed throughout the swing.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Summit posted:

Gonna advocate against the above and say if you’re hitting green sized targets with a 9 I wouldn’t gently caress with things too much. You’re doing just fine with whatever method gets you there. I guess this might depend on your goals long term but I’ve seen so many people with functional scoring games blow it all up cause their expectations are too high.

Yeah I agree with this as well, if your swing is repeatable it's fine and importantly you don't want to mess with your natural swing too much. Don't Ian Baker Finch yourself!!

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Soly comes off real bad in that video and I kind of love it. They give him a putt, he takes it but then putts it anyway and loving misses it then gets defensive lmao

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

My local course - where I'm a member - has the problem where they just have too many comps every week. There's an 18 hole comp on 5 days a week. This means if you want to play 9 holes social you basically play monday or thursday, or go out at a super weird time.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

My driver is really streaky, I had the swing down pat last week and now I'm back hitting the horrible cut.

But now my irons are absolutely dialed, to say nothing of my putting, madone!

Shot 77 today on a new course.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

i am a moron posted:

Whoa a golf league that’s a confusing hodgepodge of crap when you try to watch it that has 0 stakes and had to pay the CW to be carried by them has nearly zero revenue? Shocked. Shocked I tell you. Wonder what’s gonna happen when all the lawsuits fail and the folks who went over there realize no one will ever care about LIV

I wonder whether they'll be allowed back on the tour if they can qualify again. I assume so.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

https://twitter.com/JoelMBeall/status/1629912935295320066

That said, I think 0.2 is about the rating of an LPGA tournament on Golf Channel.

Worlds Dumbest Sharks

Imagine coming up with an exhibition tour and then only getting the shittiest players and hosting it at second rate venues

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

I don't really know why the "no cuts" is necessary but as a golf watcher I'm very keen on the smaller fields. While not every tournament can be a major this is a way of making it clear which are really worth tuning into.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

I checked out a stealth 2 at the shop and man I hated the way it looked at address. Not sure why. The paradym was a little nicer but the one i really liked was the g430.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

My tsi3 is 9 degrees and it feels like the harder you swing the better the shot is, which sounds great...unless your swing is off for whatever reason at which point it turns to absolute dogshit.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

I don't think there's any practical way where that doesn't turn out like poo poo and as mentioned in the article it seems like a change specifically made for...course designers. Which, to be honest, gently caress em.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

I can only speak for myself but golf is a great Equalizer in the sense that everyone is theoretically on the same footing, whether you're off 10 or +10. If I found out the pros were limited to a certain ball I'd absolutely start using those balls just to feel like I'm playing "the same" game.

Also, watching people bomb drives and chip isn't boring to me, watching putting is

Edit; the Open was an incredibly great tournament to watch last year and that's a super short course

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

I'm not in on this "pros should suffer!! Pro golf should be miserable!!!" mindset at all tbh. If they can send it 400 yards let em

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

I listened to the USGA chairman/comish or whatever on the NLU pod and while he was a very well spoken guy and gave a good interview his actual points were extremely bad.

He makes an aggressive point that swing speeds are only going to get faster and faster as we see further improvements to training and youth programs, but then makes no effort to acknowledge that this effectively means you're going to be rolling back ball technology forever, until the pros are hitting pebbles with balsa wood golf clubs.

He also stresses the point that the pros "don't play with the same equipment you do" but I can't find any evidence of this anywhere, at least as it pertains to golf balls.

It was like the "global warming" solution from Futurama. Our handsomest USGA rule officials simply decided to limit the flight of the golf ball - of course, as swing speeds increase, they have to go back and limit it further, and further. Thus solving the distance problem once and for all!

The whole thing stinks of some big names getting offended that people can drive the par 4s at TPC, and god forbid the layout of the course change to actually be different and harder instead of just "longer".

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

after pondering the ball situation further I've come to the hottest take. aggressively limit the balls, make it universal, make every red tee the blue tees. now we've solved the distance AND pace of play issues all at once!

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

was 36C here and I got out for 18, shot 78 but couldn't get the putter going.

I'm not sure what it is about my home course but a lot of the holes induce some sort of an optical/spatial illusion when you're putting, especially on putts between 5 and 10 feet. Basically you look at the hole and you read the line from behind, then you step up to the ball and it feels like it slopes the opposite way. Sometimes when you putt it feels like you've missed it way low as you putt it because of the perceived slope then it just goes dead straight. Once you realize it's happening you get used to it but it's very unique to that course, from my experience.

This also happened;

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Halo14 posted:

Nice round. You in Sydney? I got 18 in before midday and was so happy to avoid that furnace. Strange to say in the Golf thread but bring on winter!

Canberra here. And yeah I'm looking forward to it cooling down that's for sure.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Weird how there was a lot of mid-iron and woods play at the Valspar even though they are playing with regular balls :thunk:

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

I got gifted some pro-v1x's and look, am I going to say it's worth it? No. But holy poo poo they go long and feel great

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

I always watch my playing partners balls (lol) because I have good long distance vision and if they can find their balls faster then the round goes faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

I had one of those, maybe not so severe, two days ago. Wasn't hitting my short irons well, smacked a drive to about 125m, pulled a pitching wedge short left, chipped it perfectly, watched it bounce once, twice, and hit the bottom of the flagstick in the center of the cup and bounce out