Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

sleepness posted:

Hi goons.

I've been playing for a month and I'm starting to finally get consistency. I absolutely love golf so far and I am super stoked I haven't given up (I'm 31 and just started). Now that I've gotten to the point where I'm pretty much making contact every shot, I'm looking to see what parts of my swing I can improve. I already think I can see that my upper body is moving which I don't think it should. I'm also getting a lot of loft on my shots which I am assuming is compromising some distance, and I'm not sure where that's coming from. Thanks guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap31jRXnig0

Hey sleepness, I don't have any intelligent feedback to give you because I myself started about three months ago. What are you shooting so far? I'm averaging ~55 for 9 holes and I just can't seem to break past that mark. My chipping game is utterly horrible and iron game isn't much better, but I'm hitting drivers and fairway woods ok? I'm weirdly decent at putting.

I'm just curious where you stand, fellow goon playing his first season of golf! Keep at it, I also have the bug!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

Globalgolf has a great deal for used 4-PW,AW Taylor Made M4's for 280. Are these good GI irons for the price? Anyone here have any personal experience with them?

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

Hey Andrew do you have any tips for learning how to swing with your body instead of your arms? I've been taking golf seriously for about a year and I feel like I've peaked without learning how to do this reliably. Because of how I attack the ball my margin for error feels razor thin.

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

Sorry, I didn't quite get that. Can you readdress the post?

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

Personally I've had great success using Costco golf balls. I'd highly recommend them for anyone that's looking for a good price : quality ratio.

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

What's the recommended setup for say ~3-5k? My garage is ten feet high so I'm thinking about building a simulation but the amount of options is kind of intimidating. I'd appreciate any feedback.

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

Anyone have any experience with portable launch monitors? Mevo Flightscope, Swing Caddie SC2/300, Garmin G80 and the like? I'm looking to spend ~500 dollars for one and am having trouble deciding on one. I'm leaning towards the G80 as I like how it's a GPS / launch monitor, but I'm hearing mixed things on all of them. Looking for some goon feedback on a couple of these if possible.

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

Thanks BCRock - ended up going with the G80 after all. I'll report back some initial thoughts if anyone's interested.

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

I'm playing 54 holes over the weekend and I'm starting to wonder if it's too much.

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

I'm up in Portland and it's beautiful weather (finally) all weekend long. Quail Valley here I come!

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

18/54 holes down, shot a 91 which is pretty good for me! Felt great afterwards, could have done another 18. 2 hour 15 minute round.

If there are any other Portland goons that golf hit me up, I'd love to play with some of y'all.

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

36/54 holes down. Shot a 96 today, had a horrible start (shot a 53 on the front 9!) but really cleaned my game up towards the end. I bet I'll be sore tomorrow.

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

Phil is absolutely insane with wedges.

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

Wow way to deny 100,000 meals Tiger.

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

I will say that was the most fun I've ever had watching golf. It was entertaining from start to finish. I cannot wait for the PGA to take absolutely none of the lessons learned to make watching golf more bearable!

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

Would you guys be willing to critique my swing if I posted a video of it here? It feels like a mess and I think it's holding me back from consistently getting into the double digits. I've only been playing for about a year and a half now so I have no idea what the hell I'm looking at to see if something is right / wrong.

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

mattfl posted:

Don't forget registration for the 2021 Masters Tickets lottery opens today!

Thanks for the heads up! Hopefully I get selected this year, would love to check it off the ol' bucket list.

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

Hopefully this works - I didn't have a lot of time between meetings to get this taped so if it the videos suck I'll reshoot:

https://imgur.com/a/DREzzt5

So for a full length golf course I hover between 95-105 - been playing golf seriously for ~16 months or so, first played when I was 32 (I'm 34 now). My misses are mostly to the left or, if they're really bad, I leave a big rear end divot behind the ball and it goes maybe 40 yards. Nothing too bad to the right, fortunately. I feel like my power sucks, my driver only goes ~230-240 yards carry, 4 wood is about 210, hybrid 200, 4 iron ~185 and so on.

Mostly my chipping is absolute hot garbage and my putting varies wildly from day to do, but one thing at a time. I think my swing is borderline broken and I need to fix it.

As always, any constructive criticism is greatly appreciated! I'm probably the worst golfer here so I'll happily take any feedback at this point.

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

Hahaha, touche, I was trying to rush it as much as possible for you guys.

Alright, thanks Matt, I'll reupload a video or two later today with more of me in the shot.

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

ElGroucho posted:

Try keeping your right arm tucked tight to your side until the club is somewhat more than parallel. After that, you can move it away from your body. On the downswing, try to get it tucked back in on the way down. I think that'll help with your out-to-in action.

Hmm, I certainly see the "right arm tucked" comment a lot on golf forums. I didn't realize mine flailed around so much.

Here's a hopefully better video. I was able to get a pretty awful swing (the first one) and the second one, where I hit the ball pretty well.

https://imgur.com/UPi0ms7

Kirios fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 1, 2020

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

The Maestro posted:

I might suck, but at least I will suck quickly.

This is me. When I was first playing I was absolutely awful (~120-130 score on 18) so I learned to play very quickly so I wasn't pissing everyone off around me. It probably doesn't help my game now, but I look at the yardage, select my club, and hit.

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Since you've only been playing for 2 years, I'd like to see you build a better swing than simply trying to bandage things because even at address, we have serious fundamentals we need to work on.

-Your posture is not setting you up for success: You don't have enough knee flex or hip bend, and your shoulders and neck are completely tensed up. It's a cliche but pretend like you're a shortstop preparing to field a ground ball and take a more athletic position.
-Your grip is causing a lot of problems: While a 10 finger grip isn't necessarily a problem, it's causing you to swing the club like you're chopping wood. I would prefer to see you with at least an overlapping grip and interlocking would be even better. In either case, you need to weaken your right hand (rotate it counter-clockwise).
-You're learning to hit the ball off a sidehill lie: With the hitting mat, the ball is way above your feet. If you're going to work on your swing, do it with a flat lie. Find a different part of your lawn, even if it's not in the shade.

I don't want to get into your swing just yet since we need to work on address first, but referring to my comment about you swinging the club like you're chopping wood, you take it too far outside which leads to, among other things, the comment from ElGroucho about your right elbow. Make tons of practice swings on the plane of a baseball swing to get more of the feeling of swinging around your body.

One thing is that you have a pretty good action through the ball, so if we can get you into a better starting position, you'll be able to take advantage of that speed.

Thanks Josh (And everyone else that commented!) - I think I can easily focus on trying to move from a baseball grip to more of an overlapping grip (Interlocking may be a little too much right now, overlapping doesn't seem too much different from what I'm doing now) and taking more of an approach that I'm fielding a grounder.

If it makes anyone feel better, to get the distance that I am I'm swing as hard as I can. A lot of my problems probably stems from playing baseball all the way through college, I guess.

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

I guess I'm playing devil's advocate on this one but I found lessons to be way too much to take in when I was first starting. He was talking about like 8 different things and it was nigh impossible to keep them in my head. I ended up doing a lot of trial and error myself and it was when I got a net and a mat in my backyard is where I really improved. There's nothing that beats consistent practice, even if it's 20-30 balls a day.

As I posted earlier in the thread, my swing is a mess, so lessons would probably be a lot better for me now since I'd actually understand what they're saying, but when first starting out it was kind of a waste of money. You may just want to learn how to reliably hit a golf ball first and foremost, even if it doesn't go anywhere, before you take lessons. Maybe take a few group ones first (~20-25 dollars a person) and get the absolute basics down before committing to a PGA pro lesson (~75-100 dollars a hour).

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

Well some folks here are recommending high end PGA pro lessons for that, and I just think that'd be a waste of money. Isn't that the point of group lessons? Spend a lot less and get some Golf-101 information before diving into 1:1 stuff? That makes a lot more sense to me.

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

AndrewP posted:

If I'm a bad golfer, will I be helped in any way by more expensive balls? Should I just get the cheapest I can find?

As a fellow bad golfer I'd say if you can stick to 4-6 balls a round then get some cheap new balls. The Top Flite D2 are on sale for 7 bucks for 15 and I've found them to be good enough feeling off the club and have OK compression and distance. Sure you won't be able to stop a wedge on a dime but if you're like me you can't really do it consistent any ways. I don't like using used balls - too inconsistent from one ball to another.

The Maxfli Soft Fli are a little more expensive (10 for 12) but feel even better. They aren't too far off from a Chrome Soft. It's currently what I use.

Edit: Next step up from that, if you are a Costco membership, they have a great sale for Hex Tour Soft golf balls - 30 dollars for 24. At this point you're drat closer to a Pro V for the fraction of the price

Kirios fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 10, 2020

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

Hey guys, just wanted to give a big thanks to everyone. I took your feedback, lowered my posture (picturing fielding a ground ball has helped tremendously), using an interlocking grip, and bringing my club more around me instead of above me. It still needs more work, but my power has increased substantially. I've increased by club head speed by ~8 mph on my driver (Got it up to 113 once!) and my 4-wood and hybrid are now easily carrying over 200 yards.

I may have to send you guys videos of my new swing - I can't believe how making a few changes has lead to such an increase in power. Once I get more consistent I think I'm going to dramatically drop my strokes. I just wish I had a flex instead of regular grip when I bought these clubs...

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

If Docta doesn't want the Origin putter I'll take it. I'm looking to move on from my 2 ball putter.

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

r/golf told me getting the Garmin G80 was an awful idea and to get a Mevo or a Flightscope instead and I've never forgiven them for that. I love that G80.

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

I fear they need to just take the L and announce a cancellation for the rest of the year. I don't see this getting better any time soon.

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

AndrewP posted:

I posted this at the NLU forums but if anyone else wants to give me some feedback on my swing I'd appreciate it.

I purposefully did the "motorcycle move" with my wrists - trying to avoid having an open clubface at impact.

https://gfycat.com/giftedblondfieldspaniel

I don't get how you struggle to break 100. You have a much better swing than I but I usually hover around the mid 90s right now.

In terms of analysis, and take this with a grain of salt because I'm not great either, but your swing looks a little...stiff. Like you're not rotating enough and/or using too much upper body.

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

Shrapnig posted:

I honestly love your self deprecation about your game because your bad days are what a lot of us aspire to.

Other than Matt and Superflip, gently caress those guys.

To put into perspective how bad the rest of us are this was a good drive from me earlier today:

Kirios fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 6, 2020

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

Afternoon all,

After your awesome feedback from my last swing I've been working on it a lot. If you guys don't mind I've uploaded a couple of more photos of a side view and a backswing. I'd greatly appreciate any feedback again!

Back view - https://imgur.com/iQbftdg

Side view - https://imgur.com/Xg4BFIc

Gallery of both - https://imgur.com/a/3eAxFLu

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

dangling pointer posted:

Where did you get that Tripod sprinkler? I like that a lot better than my current sprinkler on top of a milk crate

Got it from Lowe's, the one from Home Depot is garbage don't bother:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Orbit-5000-sq-ft-Impulse-Tripod-Lawn-Sprinkler/3135847

We got an irrigation well this year (highly recommend it) and it pumps out a ton of water. The old oscillating sprinkler couldn't keep up but this bad boy works beautifully. I water my yard in a fraction of the time.

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

Matt do you still have that Nike Ignite Putter? My loving 2 ball has failed me one too many times. I tried my buddy's Scotty and immediately putted better. I'd like a cheap blade style to see if I really am better with it versus a mallet.

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

Shot a 43 , best nine hole round of my life. Switching to a blade putter has made a huge difference and making myself take practice shots on every stroke. Golf is the absolute best when you're playing well.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 2, 2020

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

Where's a good place to try clubs out relatively cheap? I've been fascinated by the idea of one length irons for the longest time but too afraid to commit to them.

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

What, the dozen new P770 reviews that suddenly came out today was merely coincidental!

(Rick Shiels has a really good review for 'em that you should look at if you haven't done so already)

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

I use a net plus a Garmin Approach G80, which is basically a launch monitor. It's fantastic practice for something that you can do in your backyard.

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

It also does excellent GPS tracking and score keeping on the course as well. Battery life is excellent as well - I've gotten 4 18 hole rounds with it before needing a charge. Best thing I've ever purchased that's golf related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

DJExile posted:

Do I need the club attachment ditty for anything or can that sense the swing itself? Because that is proper tempting.

You'd buy the TruSwing separately, but yeah, it integrates with it for swing analysis. I personally haven't used that part of it yet though.