Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Daric posted:

Yeah, we're buying a house in December and getting married in April, so my gift to myself around that time will be the Mevo+ and TGC courses for it. Being able to have some friends over, have some mixies, and play golf will be really fun.

My fiance doesn't realize this but >9' ceilings is one of the things I'm looking for specifically when house shopping.

I'm starting the process of buying a house in the next 18 months or so and this is definitely on my list as well. Now to convince my wife why taller ceilings would be a good idea...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Dr. Capco posted:

The really weird thing about the caddie doing that is that the sand at Bandon is pretty much the same everywhere on the course, so to do it on the 18th hole is just incredibly dumb. The entire property is one massive sand dune.

As an Oregonian no other course infuriates me more than Bandon Dunes. gently caress that course - give me Pacific Dunes or Old Macdonald any day over it.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Guys, I did it.

I bought the Cobra F9 One Length Irons

I am history's greatest monster.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Just got done playing nine holes with one length irons. It took some getting used to but I remembered why I loved them at the club. I am bombing that five iron.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Is there such a thing as a one length fairway wood? Asking for a friend.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

BCRock posted:

9 under through 8. WTF.

DJ having a good time playing at the local Par 3.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Golf channel just moved over to Northern Trust coverage in case anyone's interested. He just barely missed 10 under through 9.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

-11 through 11.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

My shiny one length 3H finally came in! Got one length all the day down to gap wedge. Now I just need to wait for the one length cobra mim wedges to go on sale and my transformation to the dark side will be complete.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

dangling pointer posted:

I’ve never actually gave one length irons much thought. Do you set up at address exactly the same from wedge all the way to 3H for a full swing? That would gently caress me up so bad.

Also get a driving iron the same length, it’s the same length as the other clubs, it’ll be easy to pure!

Correct, I address the ball the same with my 3H and my gap wedge. It...takes some getting used to, but the consistency is too good for me to ignore.

I want to try the driving irons, but no one near me has the "utility" irons available to try. So, I get to be an old man and rock two hybrids for now despite having swing speeds in the mid 90's for my irons.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

In terms of a cheap fairway wood I absolutely loved the Rogue. You can't go wrong for sub 100 dollars.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm starting to think it would be a miracle for me to shoot sub 100 on this course. This is masochistic.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

As a relatively newer poster to this megathread, do y'all ever do WITBs? I'm really curious what everyone else rocks around here.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Once I get my Exo 7 putter late next week I promise I'll do a WITB complete with pics. I don't want to spoil anything, but I bet I will have the most interesting bag here. Stay tuned!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Keyser_Soze posted:

My irons are all 1° flat and standard length the iron shafts are soft stepped 1x from stiff. Driver is 45.25".

I sold the 5w as once I got a 3h I never used it anymore - so now I have room to go back to 54° and 58° wedges instead of just 56° if I want.

I'm the droopy driver headcover. :smith:

What app did you use for the bag profile? I really dig it.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Seriously you guys have gotta do pics, it defeats the purpose of WITB's if we can't oogle your gear.

All my stuff should be in by Wednesday, so I'll post my pic then so you guys can make fun of it.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Daric posted:

We still doing WITB?

Hate this bag but these are my clubs

Had to get a closeup of my girls Kat (56*) and Bianca (52*)

This is the new driver I got from Callaway Pre-Owned. Still need to clean some of the sticker gunk off the bottom but I just played a full round with it yesterday for the first time and was mashing consistent 280yd carries right down the middle. Love it already.

And my office club that I hit foam balls with while I'm stuck on call after call after call

Nice man - I demoed that Epic Flash Sub Zero and had absolutely no luck hitting it consistently. But it was a beast when I got hold of one.

What app did you use to build that bag out? I'm getting ready to post my WITB and I'd like to do something like that as well.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Alright, here's my bag. Still not quite completed, details below:

Driver - Cobra King F9 Speedback Black/Yellow - 9.0 degree. HZRDUS Smoke Black Stiff Flex shaft.

2 Hybrid - Cobra King F9 Hybrid. 17 degree. Stock shaft - stiff flex.

3 Hybrid - Cobra King F9 One Length Hybrid. 19 degree. Stock shaft - stiff flex.

4 Hybrid - Cobra King F9 One Length Hybrid. 21 degree. Stock shaft - stiff flex.

5i - GW - Cobra King F9 One Length Irons. Stock shafts - stiff flex.

SW - Cobra King Speedzone One Length Iron. Stock shaft - stiff flex.

LW - Cobra King One Length MIM Wedge. Stock shaft - stiff flex.

Putter - Odyssey EXO Seven.

Ball - Kirkland 3 Piece Ball

Not accurate picture (Grint doesn't have everything... :( ):

I loved the one length concept when I finally got around to swinging them. Since only Cobra is the major brand making those, I decided to go all in and have a full Cobra (sans putter) bag.My consistency has increased dramatically and with it my confidence. With the same swing and stiffer flex (Was using regular for the first set I ever bought as I had no idea what I was doing), I'm having more confidence swinging faster and my tempo has increased, and with it my distance.

I finally had the realization that I just cannot hit a proper fairway wood. I think my swing is too steep for it, as it's always been 50/50 whether I hit the ground first and it only carrying 170 yards versus hitting a proper 240 carry shot. I tried out a 2 hybrid and although I lost about 10 yards with it, the consistency is far superior. I've always hit hybrids really well so I decided to embrace the old man in me and I currently rock three hybrids. Eventually, when they go down in price, I may try the Cobra one length utility irons, as I've always hit irons very well...it may make more sense for me to go that route instead of three hybrids, but that's where I am right now.

In addition, I also use Arccos for my full bag (Everything sans the putter has it built into the grip). I love knowing my honest yards with it, and I've had fantastic success using it. Open the app before a round, keep it in your pocket, never touch it, and at the end of the round everything's been documented. After a few rounds I may post my Arccos stats so everyone can laugh at me, but for now I'm still trying to dial in my numbers with it.

So....yeah, here's what someone who has completely gone all in on one length's bag looks like!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Petey posted:

Hey Kirios — what made you decide on the F9 speedback rather than the Forged Tec Black One? Also, do you know if it is possible to get the shafts in x-stiff?

I was able to get the 5i-GW + 4 hybrid one length for 300 dollars at my local club. I traded in my old M3 irons for 280 and ended up paying 20 bucks for everything. The black forged tec are gorgeous, yeah, but it was a really cheap way for me to try out one length. Assuming I continue to love the concept of it (and thus far I'm a huge fan), I'll go with something with a little more work-ability next time.

You can get the shafts in x-stiff, but I didn't want to go straight to x-stiff from regular (again, massive mistake for me to get regular flex initially). My next irons will probably be x-stiff as my game improves.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 5, 2020

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Well, I just broke my 6 iron right at the connector to the club head. It wasn't even on a bad shot! I didn't feel the ground or anything, but the ball went about 70 yards and the head about 120. Now I have to wait three weeks for a 6 iron - FML.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

From what I understood the way it broke off it would be next to impossible to reshaft it. I'm sure it being one length doesn't help matters either. Oh well, I'll have to learn to play a soft 5 iron.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Oh God it fits too well. I now hate PXG more than I ever did before. You go to the two nice CCs in the Portland area and you see PXG poo poo everywhere.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

My one length sand wedge finally came in! Got one length wedges in 44, 49, 54 and 58 now. All sans two clubs in my bag are one length (make a one length 2h or 2i Cobra!). All in on one length and all in on Arccos (which is FANTASTIC, highly recommended!).

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I believe the word you're looking for with Bryson is "Pioneer."

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If you could have two that were money no matter what (and the third would always be terrible), which two would you take?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I've been personally playing recycled pro v1s - the ones you can buy for 30 dollars per 36. If you're looking to get decent balls for cheap you could do far worse.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

TIL replaceable spike golf shoes exist and now I feel like a giant idiot buying four different pair of cheap Nike shoes because the spikes kept wearing out over the last two years.

Why didn't you guys tell me!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Why would anyone even buy golf shoes that you can't replace the spikes with? Knowing what I know now (in hindsight I don't know how I didn't assume this already) I'm not sure why the other shoes even exist. Are people just too lazy to replace them twice a year?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Now I've learned that spiked sandals exist for golf. I'm a man that wears flip flops ever chance I get outside...how bad of an idea is it to get these for the summer months on more relaxed courses (Wouldn't be caught dead rocking these at a CC):

https://www.footjoy.com/golf-shoes/men/spiked/golf-sandals/016SPE.html?dwvar_016SPE_color=45318&dwvar_016SPE_width=Medium#start=11

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I would be more worried about those spikeless shoes becoming relatively worthless on the course once they wear out. From personal experience, those spikes wear out pretty quickly and golf shoes aren't cheap. Then again, my swing's pretty aggressive so that probably doesn't help.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

How long do the spikeless shoes last you guys?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Without diving too much on Youtube...does anyone have any general tips for chipping? It's by far the worst part of my game - my putting isn't great but I'll mostly get two puts out of it. My driving is good and iron striking is very good (for my handicap any ways), but I'm good to blade at least 4-5 chips a round and it just absolutely kills my score. I have to be leaving close to a dozen shots per round on my horrible chipping ability. It's something I've never gotten a lesson before, so I don't really have a "technique" per say, but the other things have come to me more naturally than this aspect of the game. Please help!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Inside 50 yards. Any time I can make a mostly full swing I'm fine, so, say, a soft 75% swing sand wedge to 50 yards and stop isn't something that bothers me. But anything where I need a more...proper chipping technique (say 30 yards or less) or need to go up and down and get it relatively close to the hole there's just no hope for me. I have zero confidence in those shots.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Daric posted:

Phil is great too, but Kisner explains it in such an obvious way. It literally changed everything for me.

Watching that video - it makes a ton of sense why I skull it. My hands are out in front - I don't tuck it at all, and if I had to watch myself...I probably don't move my chest at all when chipping. Definitely some food for thought - thanks Daric! Is it the same technique for any club you use when chipping?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I didn't expect liquor chat to be in here, but I'd definitely be interested in scotch! Maybe a bourbon, depending on what you have.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I've now learned that Golf Club: Simulator Edition is a thing and I've never wanted something more in my life. Give me a decent golf simulator setup with that game and I'll likely die in that room.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

So I've got a course that's about twenty minutes away that's doing a 175 dollar deal for unlimited golf through the end of February. It's an...OK course, 9 hole par 36. Normal price is 16 dollars for 9, or 26 for 18. I think it would be a good place to keep myself sharp over the winter months for not too much money. What do you guys think?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

PNW, so not great but you can sneak in rounds a couple of times a week. We don't get snow like you guys.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Suprfli6 posted:

It’s Masters Week!

Bryson's gotta be the overwhelming favorite at this point. I can think of a good half dozen holes where he has a clear advantage if he can carry 320-330 consistently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

As a 5'10'' male I have never felt shorter in my entire life.