Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

DJExile posted:

well don't leave us hanging, how did Dream Lyman hit it?

310 with a butter cut no doubt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

With Tiger and the Super Bowl in town, I can only imagine the Titfest. :getin:

Agreed!

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

ironlung posted:

the thread's mascot did not have a strong finish today

That is why he is a mascot.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Nerdrock posted:

Ugh. Why did my dumb rear end put off until now to get Carpal Tunnel surgery?

Anyways, my left hand gets cut tomorrow, and the right a couple weeks later. I've read mostly that you shouldn't swing a club for 6-ish weeks. Anyone have any experiences with that?

At least the weather here is still pretty terrible and it'll be at least another month before any courses are playable.

Get better soon GolfBro. I'd just recommend practicing your putting until you hate doing it. And then do it some more.And then do more.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Nerdrock posted:

My problem was that I was searching for one I swear I'd seen in one of the Caddyshack movies.

Are you thinking of the self-aiming putter?

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

EnsGDT posted:

I feel as though we need a Spieth related thread title change. Thoughts?

Heir Jordan, your jacket

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

I payed 9 holes today with my mom, sister and brother. A round of golf with them is pretty funny now that I actually sit back and think about it.

My brother plays probably 3-4 times a year, has a really pretty swing, but awful short game and not great control off the tee. That said, he talks constantly. During your practice swings, real swings, putts, it doesn't matter, he just has to yap, normally about everything but golf.

My mom is a total head case, she actually can play pretty well, but she hits one or two bad shots and completely unravels and goes through like two notepads worth of 'notes' from her latest lesson. Then it's all over, she's got a million swing thoughts in her head and can't right the ship.

My sister has played 3 or 4 times since high school(12 years ago), but has ridiculous club head speed for a 30 year old woman who's honestly pretty helpless when it comes to anything involving physical strength. But she got a hold of a couple today, including hitting a green from 150 yards away with a 6 iron, which I think is pretty dang good distance for a girl who never plays.

Anyways, any MN people probably know it was mother windy today. Had to be 15-20 mph with gusts up to 30. Absolutely ridiculous, I had one drive get up in the wind and start coming backwards.

That said, it was a really enjoyable round with the fam, I shot a 38 with a couple bad bogies in there. The course was only 3200 yards from the back tees, but that included a 260 yard par three that was playing slightly into the breeze :stare:. I absolutely crushed a 5 wood that was hit pretty straight, it started about 20 yards right of the green and ended up 20 yards left.

First hole was a short par 5 that was playing cross breeze on the drive and then down wind on the second shot. I was 170 yards to the pin with the wind at my back and I hit a PW 20 yards over the flag :psyduck:. It got way up in the air and instead of getting knocked down it just flew.

Pretty happy overall though, really struck the ball well with my irons, putting was decent, driver was a bit off in the wind though.

It was insanely windy today for sure. I go to a range that sits on top of a bluff / huge hill by the river and if I tried to hit any type of normal "traj" wedge shots the ball would literally start to fall backwards. It was great practice for flighted shots though. What course were you at?

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

Good news and bad news dudes.

Good news: I just got offered a new job at a new company that will be a substantial pay increase, better bonus, more vacation and closer to home/my golf course , so I think I can justify getting a golf membership this year!!!

Bad news: That means I'll be posting a bunch of golfshot scorecards and round write-ups that you suckers will have to read/ignore :getin:

I did go to the range last week and was hitting the ball better than I have in like two years, but there was some guy who was hitting next to me that just kept watching me and everytime I hit anything longer than a PW he would say, "Wow you're really hitting it well. I used to be a 10 handicap but something is wrong this year, I just can't seem to make good contact." I was polite and chatted with him a bit, but just let me enjoy this(most likely) fleeting groove that I'm in guy :(.

Excellent! Now we can get a round or three in this season! Where are you thinking of joining up, StoneRidge again?

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

I got out for a round yesterday morning at one of my favorite courses near St. Paul.

My tee time was 9:45 and I didn't actually tee off until 10:30, that's how backed up they were. They had no starter, no ranger, no anything keeping people honest so it was a miserably slow round. All in all I'm happy with how I hit the ball, I had some very nice up and downs that kept my score low.

Biggest killer was the third hole. Super reachable par 5, I hit a good drive up the hill about 4 inches off the fairway. I'm sitting about 220 from the green with a pin in the front right. All the greens on this course are very undulating and extremely crowned. If you aren't careful you will leave yourself a very difficult up and down. I of course leave my 2nd right of the green, leaving myself a very very difficult shot. I try to hit a flop that lands about 6 inches short of the top of the green, hits the fringe and rolls back down. Hit the next one a bit too hard and it rolls past the pin, then down the slope of the green(pin was on a very small raised section of the green) and off the green. Then chipped short of the hole and two putted for a 7 :suicide:.

I left another chip short on 13, but made a 30 foot putt to save bogey.

Overall I'm pleased, my putting was solid, if I can continue to putt that well then I have a good chance of bringing my handicap back down. I almost hit every fairway too, the 3rd hole I was off by about four inches and then on 18 I missed by about 3 feet.

That is a really good score out there. LOVE that course, wish it didn't have so many blind shots though.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010
Yo Kameh, Sergio's win at TPC in '08 is on Golf's Greatest rounds tonight. Fantastic series, and it's featuring your dude.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Douchebag posted:

Not sure if anyone is watching the WGC Match Play but Jimenez and Keegan almost just got in an actual fight over Keegan taking relief from a fence. Keegan got in his face after Miguel started chirping at his caddy.

https://www.facebook.com/krustcrow/posts/10206549013385640

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

Today was my last day of work so naturally I left early and got a quick 18 in :).

I'm getting a membership at the same course I had a membership at a couple years ago, it's one of my favorite courses and is always interesting to play.

Today there was a 1-2 club wind and they just aerated the greens, which made it interesting. My putting has always been my downfall, so naturally on a windy day with punched greens I putted absolutely lights out. I haven't had a round with this good putting in YEARS. Here's the round:

I made a lot of 3-4 foot putts for par, and made a couple 10 foot par saves and even drained a couple 15 foot birdie putts. Overall I really didn't hit the ball that great, but I think my familiarity with the course and a few drained putts make for a good score.

The highlight was the 18th hole, I hit a great drive and was left with like 130 to the pin. I flared one out to the right and way short, into a nasty green side bunker. I had like a 20 yard bunker shot into a green sloping hard from right to left. It's tough to describe how small the landing area is for the bunker shot, the green slopes hard from back to front for the first half, then hard from front to back on the last half. There's a sliver of flat green in the middle. Basically, if you were to look at the green from the side it would kind of be shaped like:
_
/ \

Except not that steep of a slope on the front and back. Anyways, I hit a perfect bunker shot to about 4 feet and drained the putt to save par(and give me an even par 36 on the back).

You lucky devils are in for a lot more of these posts so prepare yourself emotionally.

And Zinc, we should get a round in this year. I have the rest of the week off so I'm free to play any day, just keep in mind that Stoneridge just punched the greens(but they use like some air jet or some crap that doesn't have nearly as big of holes, instead it's like little slits. They actually rolled decently today.
For sure! I'd be down to play sometime in the next few weeks there if that is cool? I'd rather wait to play there when the greens are nice and healed since I rarely get to play that nice track.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

That sounds good to me. I played twice yesterday and just got done with 18 today and the greens are not rolling great right now. They fertilized them yesterday morning so I think it's definitely better to wait.

Do weekend mornings work for you?

Yup, weekend mornings are perfect. drat, you're going to dust me, that's a lot of practice...Er I mean reps! I moved out to Eagan, so anytime would work since I can get out to SR pretty quickly.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

Haha probably not, I've been hitting like 6-8 GIR per round and relying heavily on my chipping and putting(which could leave me at any moment). Eagan's not too far at all, we'll have to plan for early June, I'm going to be out of town the next 2 weekends I think.

Sounds good to me. That will give me a chance to get a round in there to scope it out so I don't get embarrassed when we finally meet up, haha.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010
Paging Dr. Fun. Paging Dr. Fun, come in Dr. Fun...

My B-Day is next week and my Dad wants to take me golfing. We were thinking of swinging out to StoneRidge, and were wondering what it is playing like since they airrated a week or two ago?

Let me know if it is rolling nice out that way, or if we should head down to Hale Irwins' The Jewel instead.

Thanks man!

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

My struggle in the wind isn't that I hit the ball high, but at times I hit a pretty significant draw with my irons. If there's a right to left wind or if I'm going straight into the wind it can result in some pretty weird shots.

I agree with Kameh that 3 wood isn't any more forgiving than driver. I'd much rather be 110 from the pin in the rough than 140 from the pin and in the rough :).

My problem with 3 woods is I on occasion sky them. Most of that is my swing, but some of it is the design of modern 3 woods. Some are very shallow faced, which makes them easier to hit off the turf, while others are pretty deep, making them easier to hit off the tee.

I refuse to carry a 3 wood that I can only hit off a tee but not off the turf, so I carry a shallower faced 3 wood, which I in turn sky on occasion.

Again, a lot of that is my swing, but compare the face height of my 3 wood to my driver and it's a huge difference.

So I finally got out to StoneRidge this year for my B-Day. Shot a -3!! Much easier than I remember now that I can trust my iron play. I L O V E that course, yet think it is ever so slightly overrated. I think if they upgraded their sand, and (as much as possible with the small greens) brought up their green speed/smoothness they would be on par with the better country clubs of the metro.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

Didn't see this post, so ignore my post in the Open thread.

Nice round! Did you play from the blues or blacks? I think there's a lot of scoring opportunities out there if you play the blues, but the blacks make it a much tougher course to score on(the par 4's become a lot longer, #5, #10, #12 and #18 mainly).

I would agree with you on the course conditions. I understand not putting a lot of plush sand in the waste bunkers, but just adding some sand to the bunkers that you actually might hit the ball into would mean a lot. And DEFINITELY agree on the greens, they don't keep them super fast although they do speed them up a lot for tournaments and I wish they would keep them that fast all year, I putt a lot better on fast greens.

Let me know if you want to get out soon, if you put up -3 you'd kick my rear end, but that's alright! We can play for a beer.

Def will play you for a drink afterwords, the restaurant looked nice! I played w/ my dad so we only played the Blues, and I could see how the blacks would have made a few of the 4's much more interesting. Funny enough I hit 6i off 1 tee, and (thought) I bladed my wedge approach. Got lucky since the green slopes back to front and ended up 3' from the hole. That was the kind of round it was, so -3 may have been an anomaly...

I'm having some minor out-patient surgery done on Tuesday, but I think I'll be ready to go in two-three weeks. I'll shoot you a PM in a week or so and we can set this up (finally)

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

This live posting isn't helping. Bogey on 13 but beauty of a tee shot on par 3 14

keep it up, some good scoring holes are ahead.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010
Shot a -2 today, which wasn't even the best round of the day. I played with an 87 year old who shot a 79. Greatest round I've probably ever seen in person. Guy hit EVERY fairway, linked it up close to the green on most of the 4s, and then chipped and putted for par a few times. He was in awe of my shots, I was in awe of his whole game. Made the afternoon round something special for sure.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

EnsGDT posted:

Swing weight balanced all my clubs today, after I re-gripped them.

5 grams between clubs, .5 swing weights between clubs, 1/2" length stepping. Maintained a constant balance point ratio between every club.

Just got back from the range. Made a couple adjustments. Went too heavy on my 4 & 5 irons.

Feels good man. Just in time to play 18 tomorrow morning in the SoCal rain. The greens are gonna be so slow, i can't wait :D

Pinseeking time. That is the ONLY reason for my under par today. Greens were receptive as hell, and as long as I hit it pin high or just above (if I had a 7i or less) I could just fire it right at the hole and the ball would stick. 17 is an 8i shot and I sucked it back a good 10'. With an 8i

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

Well I had a choke-tastic round last night. I'll post the scorecard later, but I played a round last night in some pretty strong winds from the back tees at my home course, which is like 7000 yards and a 74.1 rating.

I hit the ball just beautifully for most of the round. A few hiccups(mainly on the greens), but with how windy it was I was really happy with how I played. Some highlights:

hole 16, 230 yard par 3: This was playing right into the wind, I hit a 3 wood off the tee and hit the green but still about 30 feet short. Two putt par.

hole 18, 473 yard par 5: This hole was playing with a right to left wind, but slightly hurting. There is one part of the fairway if you hit it just right it will get a big bounce and give you probably an extra 30 yards distance, but it requires you to cut off a bit of a nasty waste bunker that you don't want to be in, especially from the black tees. I hit a perfect drive and had 120 yards to the pin. Hit a SW to about 3 feet and tapped in for birdie. I don't think I've ever birdied this hole from the blacks.

Now how about some low lights? I started on the 12th hole today so that I wouldn't have to wait on other groups, it's a 480 yard par 4 that was playing into the wind on the tee shot and then a cross breeze on the 2nd. I bogied that(which is fine, it was playing more like a par 5), then shot even par over the next 15 holes(1 bogey, 1 double and 3 birdies) leading into the 10th.

10th hole: Hit a good drive in the fairway, then an okay approach to about 30 feet and three putt :(.

11th hole, short par 5 playing downwind: After hitting all but one fairway on the day, I hit a ridiculously bad tee shot about 40 yards OB. :suicide:. Then take 5 more strokes to get in the hole and I finish with a nice double bogey on what I think is the easiest par 5 on the course. FML.

Oh, did I mention that I doubled the par 5 4th? No OB on that hole though, I was sitting at 110 yards after my 2nd shot and took a 7.

Here's something that doesn't happen to me everyday:

par 3's: Even.
par 4's: Even.
par 5's: +4.

Doc, looks like I should be good to go for golfing anytime next week. I'd prefer that we play at a slightly less $$ course anywhere in the metro, but if you can wrangle up any type of deal for me at SB, I'd be game to tee it up there.

Let me know!

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

That's an interesting thought, I play better on fast greens, but my definition of fast is not the same as pga your fast. You also hear pros complain if they get to a tour stop that has slower greens.

I have my first night of league tonight. Ive played twice this year(MN winter succccckkked), last round I shot an 87 with zero penalty strokes, which is not my greatest effort. I think I hit 4 GIR the whole round, which was pitiful.

I also just got a new putter, so hoping I can make a few more putts!

Where are you playing your league at this season Dr?

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

I had one of my best rounds in years last week. I played a course in Somerset, WI called St. Croix National. It's a bit of a wonky course, LOTS of elevation change, a few 'target golf' holes, and a lot of trees. It's a fun course though, it's in fantastic shape and there's never anyone on it.

Bogeyed the last two holes to shoot 76
10/14 fairways (this is the most fairways I've hit in a long time)
9/18 GIR (a couple on the fringe, and some really close misses)
6/9 up and down
30 putts

No penalty strokes.

What a fun round, I've been a much better ball striker this year than....ever. I finally had a round where I didn't put myself in trouble off the tee, amazing what a difference that makes. I seriously had SEVEN birdie putts under 20 feet and just couldn't get any to drop, when I hit the green I generally was close to the hole. Hit pretty good putts all round, just nothing of any length fell.

Excited to play again soon, of course I'll probably suck, but confidence is growing!

Thats really good for that course! So many blind / partial blind shots! I played it two weeks ago and agree, always in great shape! Too bad they force people to use carts since it is built on the old ski hill.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

RCarr posted:

Relax grandpa. I'm not blasting music that would be loud enough for anyone outside of 10 feet away to hear. I obviously would turn it off if anyone else was nearby.

This. If I'm playing w/ guys I know, I'll play music for us, but just loud enough for us to hear in the cart. I'll immediately turn it down if any other groups are near me.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

Got paired with someone yesterday that made for an interesting round. Before I tell more about it, want to make sure it wasn’t zinc, you didn’t play at white eagle yesterday evening did you ?

Haha, nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Shrapnig posted:

There may be a 4 stamped on the club but who really knows what the specs are. 240 yard par 3s are dumb anyway, give me the 120 yard par 3s where guys have to manufacture a shot.

True, but Tiger plays "old spec" iron lofts, so his 4iron is 25.5* loft. Compare that to Taylor Made's new P790 4 iron which is at 21*