Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Halo14 posted:

Yeah I know. Think I heard it was a 230yard 7i launched high and it still had a big kick forward. Tough hole.

I think they said that was the only birdie on that hole the entire tournament. I may have heard wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

That makes a lot more sense.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

torgeaux posted:

I didn't even put down my umbrella to try. One handed putt to about 6 feet, then one foot past, then scooped and ran. I guess it's no surprise the millions of tiny balls both slow the putt and radically impact the line.

This sounds like a scene Caddyshack should have included complete with golf ball sized hailstones.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

ironlung posted:

I have a buddy who is a 2-3 handicap and he was shooting high 80s/low 90s consistently for a while earlier this summer, including our men's league tournament.

One night we went out after work with some beers and didn't keep score, just screwed around, bullshitted a ton in between shots and had a great time. Surprise, he was flushing everything and played great and now everything is back to normal. If you get too mechanical, have too many swing thoughts, or start thinking about your score too much, it's usually not good.

The Yip-whisperer.....

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Dr. Capco posted:

Am I an rear end in a top hat if I take a small range bucket and go to a far away hitting area and practice my 10-20 yard pitches then go out and pick them up again to hit full shots? I did the yesterday at one of the munis and the assistant pro stopped a lesson to walk all the way down to where I was hitting and tell me not to hit balls I haven't paid for. I've done this for years and nobody has seemed to care. Kinda ruined my practice session but I didn't want to make a big scene and ruin everyone else's range time.

He'll never be the Pro of a major corporation.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

nature6pk posted:

Breezy golf is the most hilarious and fun time to be out, even if all you do is hit balls into the wind and watch them go

West wind in the morning
Rooftops take warning
East wind from your right
Slicer's delight

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

torgeaux posted:

Once handicap season is over, I don't improve my lie, but I draw the line on deer and elk poo poo shots.

New thread title pls, mods.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

BCRock posted:

No joke. I'm visiting my parents in MA for the week. They live in the suburbs northish of Boston and their house has some light wooded area around it.

We took our 13lb miniature poodle for a 20 minute walk down the path behind the house yesterday and pulled 23 ticks off of him when we got back. We aborted the walk early when he stopped to poop and I noticed a bunch on him. Was going to take the dog golfing with me tomorrow, but it looks like he'll be staying at home.

I lived here for 23 years and can't remember it ever being this bad.

Vectra is great for dogs. the ticks seem to be thriving early here too what with it not getting very cold this past winter, so I'm deeting.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Shrapnig posted:

How have you been hitting them recently you old fart? Glad to see you survived the 12,000 tornadoes in the last couple weeks.

Inconsistent, plus I'll never get back the upper body strength I had, so I can't drive for any non-laughable distance. One week drives are straight, everything else sucks. And every once in a while i'll hit an absurd enough shot to keep coming back like a gambler, heh. Except this is much better, it's fun, I get exercise.
A guy with a class of kids let me play through on this par 3 course I like, and those 8 year old snots were so good I asked him how much they charged for lessons.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

torgeaux posted:

On the subject of carts, just let me say, popping the brake makes noise. It's something to be avoided while other people are in the act of hitting.

Well, this is no surprise.

https://www.golf.com/news/2019/06/2...Kv5mYey3RtcvSJE

DeChambeau — who finished tied for 35th at one over par — averaged 63.3 second between shots (not including tap-ins). This laborious pace dropped to a glacial 93.3 seconds when he was hitting first in his group.

The iceman creepeth.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Suprfli6 posted:

Matt Every’s caddie Trey Bilardello apparently shot a 202 and was DQed in a US Am qualifier. Supposedly after the first two holes he began missing shots intentionally. His group started on the tenth hole and was the first group so he held up the entire rest of the tournament. He’s damaged two courses while playing the Minor League Golf Tour and also been arrested for domestic battery. :staredog:

Caddyshack: The Remake.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Farking Bastage posted:

Any recommendation on decent golf in Tulsa OK? I'm stuck up here for a week with a fishing rod and a set of clubs :)

Probably depends on what you want to spend. Google reviews would be better than me, I kinda sorta know Tulsa, but not the golf. Broken Arrow is the ritzy Southside suburb, and I think Southern Hills is the lah-dee-dah course.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

BCRock posted:

This was just some random you were paired up with? Not in your league/club or playing match or had a bet with?

If so, then lol. I've literally never heard of or experienced some random guy I'm paired up with saying anything about my putts or expecting me to do the same for him.

There's a freudian joke somewhere in here using putter inadequacy, Costanza shrinkage maybe and idk what else

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Daric posted:

Yeah I'm obviously a bit biased here in that I've met Patrick a few times and like him personally, but I am aware of how the things he does look to the outside world. I am also aware that Justine running his social media and sending out Cease and Desists is not a good look. But the PGA investigated and both Slugger and Jay Monahan agree that they don't think he was intentionally cheating. So on one side you have a bunch of fans saying he was cheating and asking him to take a harsher punishment and on the other side you have the governing body of the sport going "we believe you, it's a 2-shot penalty". Which party do you think he's going to listen to?

He should just embrace the Heel role complete with a little cheat wrestler logo on his golf shirt, sell thousands of them, donate proceeds to charity, and have the last laugh.

Tell him to hire me as his P.R. guy next time you talk.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

AndrewP posted:

https://www.golf.com/gear/2020/02/11/alex-rodriguez-witb-golf-clubs-riviera/

Please enjoy A-Rod’s insane bag, including four 4-irons and a non-conforming driver from the 90s.

I never liked that guy when he was with the Yankees, but there's so much to love here.

One of Us! One of Us!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

To Phil and Bubba: "I know something you don't know"....

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Norman mayor said close the courses since assholes couldn't maintain distance. No Boomer, no Sooner. gently caress.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Be a tee totaler. Abstain!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

DJExile posted:

From this point forward I demand we all make "Bryson is fat, op" jokes the way we did for Jozy Altidore

(Who is also fat)

Bryson loves birdies like Jozy loves goals like a fat kid loves candy.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

DJExile posted:

Look, Jozy never had a finishing touch either.

(OK basically only shrapnig is going to enjoy this but gently caress it)

I enjoy it, but in reality Josmer Altidore had

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I almost had a hole in 1 yesterday at my par 3 course. Idk, maybe that's cheating. 135 or so yards. My son in law saw it 90 the cup and roll down a few yards. I baptized 5 balls on the next hole, a thing I've never done either. So it evened me right out. Dumb game.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

torgeaux posted:

I enjoyed his attempt to get relief by claiming a dangerous animal exception. What a tool.

Lmao. I think the main reason he bulked up was because Brooks kicked sand in his face.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

torgeaux posted:

You are too dumb to be trusted with good golf equipment. I'll PM you my address and you can ship the stuff to me and I'll keep it "for you."

Aaand new thread title material

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Josh Lyman posted:

see if I can figure out a solution that won't require me to spend more money. :homebrew:

new thread title

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Daric posted:

Met a woman that makes custom headcovers. She can find material to use if you want, but I sent her this old jersey I had:

and she made this:

Super happy with it. It even has some kind of liner on the inside so it's tighter than it looks and holds onto the driver like any store-bought headcover should. Works much better than the expensive Husky headcover I bought for my 3-wood.

Pepperidge Farms remembers that goal...sweet revenge.

Daric posted:

On top of that, I posted it on the forum where I met the woman too and a guy PM'ed me and asked if I was a US Men's National Team fan. When I told him I was, he said he's on staff with them and is going to send me a care package of USMNT stuff. Having a pretty good morning so far!

Hopey shmokes!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

torgeaux posted:

5'8". Used to be 5'9", but boomer.

:corsair::hf::corsair:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

:golf:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

i am a moron posted:

Patrick Reed is a garbage bag full of cottage cheese and surrounds himself with people who are even worse.

Easy, Tiger

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Shrapnig posted:

What's the feeling to convey when I hate and also love everything about that?

Ich hasse und liebe alles daran? It's always better in German?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Mcqueen posted:

god drat dude, that must feel awesome! happy for your success and happy for my little joker buddy.

also, finally joined a mens club and got my ghin this year, 16.5! Super stoked and hope to be less lovely by years end.

Golf Megathread 2021: Super stoked and hope to be less lovely by years end.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Lincoln posted:

The soul-draining process continues. Offer contracts have been signed on both the sale of our current house and the purchase of our target house. In both cases, the other party is raising “unexpected” issues, all nit-picky and clearly designed to drive the final price up or down.

My wife is a licensed transactional paralegal who writes and reviews real estate contracts for a living, so of course every contract has like a million errors that have to corrected.

I have temporarily mollified her by saying since we have a large green-side bunker complex right off our backyard, we are buying “beachfront-property.”

We’re replacing every bit of flooring in the new house with engineered hardwood. The contractor just hit us with, “Glue is really expensive right now, so the flooring you picked is going to be super-expensive to install.” loving glue.

This will be the house in which i commit suicide.

Sounds like horseshit. That's not going to bump the overall price that much. He's faffing, and probably huffing too. Lumber prices, yeah.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Panzeh posted:

I'm starting to get into golf, i tried getting into it when i was young but didn't have the patience to work on it.

Anyway, I only have one hand, so i'm trying to learn a one-handed swing, and it's a work in progress. I hit the range with rented clubs and just try to get solid contact and get it out there- i'm able to consistently get about 75-80 yards with a rented 6 iron. When it comes time for me to buy my own, I'm curious as to what to do as a one-handed golfer.

I'm fairly content to just hit up the local par 3 courses in West Virginia.

Sorry if this seems non-specific, if anybody has any advice for one-handed golfing, i'd appreciate it.

I think most of the golf-savvy dudes here would recommend you get a fitting. I'm not one of them, but I'd wonder how a same length set of irons would work for you. Just in terms of eliminating one variable of stance.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

ElGroucho posted:

No, because he’s a loving idiot

I remember John Daly used to do some dumb poo poo. Is Rahm the new Daly now?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

GEMorris posted:

Are Stix clubs a reasonable starting point are they just millennial IG marketing garbo?

Get some quality used clubs like those below, and frankly anything from 5-12 years old are fine if they're in decent shape and have decent grips. Or you can regrip some if you really think they're winners otherwise. Work your way into what feels right as you go without getting all spendy from the gitgo. That's what's worked for me when I started 3+ years ago.

Internet Savant posted:

This includes Titleist , Callaway, TaylorMade, Mizuno, Ping, Cleveland (?).

Adding Cobra.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

torgeaux posted:

No!! You must have firm misconceptions before you begin. Are you even a real golfer?

Lol. New tread title pls.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

From reddit......

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Shrapnig posted:

Hope Korda recovers, but that's a fascinating glimpse into mental illness from that "doctor".

What dots are you connecting about dots the doctor supposedly is connecting....what do you mean?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Shrapnig posted:

The archaeologist?

Ah. Not a medical Dr. I'm assuming she's also a covid recoveree, disabled, so rather invested emotionally.

drat shame about Korda though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Shrapnig posted:

I have friends who don't understand the concept of just cleaning your grips. You can get your grips back to almost new tackiness by using Dawn and a toothbrush. At the very least they'll have a ton more grip than they did with a year of dirt and hand funk on them.

*Makes bad jokes about a tacky influencer named Dawn*