Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

I've never seen this before, didn't know it existed. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Because Golf is essentially Schadenfreude and I'm a horrible human who needs someone to suffer to feel good.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Hey golf thread - I’m a casual player who hasn’t had time given kids and work and the lack of times to play the last few years. Was over at a friends and he had a hitting net and I thought huh, I could do that I have space in the garden.

4 days later I’ve got a net, mat, and garmin r10 set up and holy smokes is it fun. I’ve ‘played’ 72 holes in the last 4 days. Obviously it doesn’t replace actual course play but it’s great.

I do find the included software, Hole Town Hero isn’t super accurate on drivers/long clubs, but it comes with a stripped down license of e6 which I’m finding is more true to what I actually hit. Anyway, I’m hoping that just hitting more balls more often will help when I finally do get back on a course.

Question - for anyone who has a sim setup what mat do you use? I’m teeing of grass for drives but the mat that came with my net isn’t going last more than a month.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

If you want to be outrageously frustrated with your golf game I highly suggest checking out Good Good on YouTube. They've done a couple collabs with Bob Does Sports too. It's a group of six "kids" (early-mid 20s) who are just outrageous golfers and their videos are highly entertaining and incredibly well edited and put together.

I've just started watching Good Good and holy poo poo those guys can hit a ball. It's not all long drive madness either, they can place and putt. I enjoy their content, they're doing a series in the UK which is fun. I don't even think about my game watching them, their super heroes compared to what I'm doing.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

One of the reasons I think I enjoy GG content is the production quality in addition to the fun. The camera work and editors deserve almost as much credit as the on screen golf talent, it's really well produced and makes it easy to watch. Me and my brother in-law just played 9 holes in my backyard net sim setup and then watched some YouTube rabbit hole and the GG production stuff is really clean.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Hey golf goons, working on my swing and have a launch monitor net setup and realized I actually don't know how rotation is supposed to go. I've had lessons in the past and have some more scheduled for next month but curious what opinions here are.

Do you go: knees>hips>shoulders first - ie. rotating from the ground up through the back swing, or shoulders>hips>knees letting your upper body drive the tempo and swing pace. I feel like this is something I should know but I don't. Or is it simultaneous. In the past I had a little chant in my head - 'knees, hips, shoulders, shoulders, hips, knees' but having hit a ton of balls lately I think I may have it backwards. Or I'm overthinking it. I'm a slow swinger - 80 - 100 with a driver, and have been shooting 85 - 95 ish.

e; for practical context this came about when I was struggling to hit my 5 wood well, a club I normally hit ok without thinking, and I realized when I'm not thinking about it I start rotating with my shoulders, then down through to the ground. So I stopped my previous mantra/approach and it seemed to help. But in the past I've been taught to make sure you're rotating early with the lower body - knees - to get fully around. So now I don't know what I'm doing lol. Which part should move first oh no I'm back at the beginning!

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Sep 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

This feels like huge overthinking to me and a recipe for a Charles Barkley-esque swing.

Thanks all - yeah I’m probably overthinking it I’m going to not worry about it and let my instructor help with what’s probably a bunch of real issues…grip, alignment, stance lol