Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
I played my first game of golf and it’s good, but I’m bad. That’s my golf story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Played my 2nd round of 18 ever and broke 100, playing on a course that isn’t a goat track makes a big difference

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
3 months playing golf report. Played the heritage 9 at my local yesterday, got my first eagle then my first birdie back to back. Hit every fairway off the tee but playing it safe left me in bad spots on some holes. I can’t do short chips so I finished 6 over par and well ahead of the two friends I was playing with so it was a good morning.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Who here knows old clubs? I have been using a set of Golden Bear GB5’s (bought ages ago just for the range but I recently started playing) and I just realised I bought some old Ben Hogan Apex irons (3-PW & SW) on New Years at some point. I know nothing about either, but I see Hogan still make clubs and there’s a similar set on their site. Are either any good or am I bad with money?

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Played in my first social competition as half of a 2 person team playing stableford (had never heard of it before) and got 3rd, one point behind 1st/2nd who tied scores. Was a fun day, they invited me back in a fortnight for their next comp which was nice and I think I’ll go.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Golf makes me feel dumber now then when I started just under a year ago. Can’t hit a driver anymore, but I’ve been playing with some old hogan blades and consistently hitting under 100 with a few games under 90. Complete reversal from my first games where I could drive it well but everything else sucked.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Pretty much ditto, perfect draw with a driver has just devolved into what it is now. I feel more confident hitting a 3 iron or one of my friends fairway woods these days. I need to make the time for another lesson rather than go insane trying to fix it on my own.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Played 18 as a foursome this weekend on a course id never touched before and it was slow (around 6 hours). Being winter here by the end I was getting stiff but was happy I managed to hit under 100 as I come close to one year of golfing. Need to fix my driving otherwise I'll end up hitting hybrid off the tee forever, 200 metres down the fairway is better than spraying drives all over and losing strokes to lovely recovery shots.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

daslog posted:

Yes there is. When the same dude stands completely still at address for 20 seconds after taking the practice swings then shanks the ball 40 yards.

I stand at address for probably too long, but I don’t do practice swings or anything because I know I’m borderline on the slow side once at address. Everything else is good to go before I step up to swing and that keeps me ahead of pace and anyone I’m playing with though.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Quick question for everyone coming from a newish player, how important is it to you knowing the distance you hit each club with a normal swing? When practicing I use this as a baseline for how well I’m making contact etc, and work on a consistent distance per club from there. Am I setting traps for myself like this? No one else I play with does it and they downplay it a lot but it feels like the right approach and I think it’s helping my game overall but don’t know if it’s confirmation bias or something.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

AndrewP posted:

Nobody you play with knows their distances? How do they choose clubs?

I think the trap is using your distance that you *can* hit a club vs what you *usually* hit.

Not really, it’s either 5 iron if it’s “long”, SW for short and anything in between is a random choice based on I don’t know what.

And yeah, I should caveat it with I base mine on what I usually hit, not trying to smoke it as far as possible eg. If it’s 110-120m I need I’m hitting a PW, 120-130 I’m hitting 9 and am pretty consistent through to 5/4/3 where the gapping grows. Only time I’ll change is for elevation or wind on the course, but if I’m at a range or sim they are my guides for practising consistently.

BCRock posted:

This is like 95% of what being successful at playing golf entails.

Yeah that’s where I landed as well but I’ve been given a lot of unsolicited advice in the few social tournaments I’ve played from people who can’t give me their average distance just “you should be hitting this”. I’ll just keep ignoring them for the most part.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

dangling pointer posted:

The important take away to this discussion is definitely get your yardages figured out. The second most important take away is we all gave you a different answer on how to select a club because golf is hard lol. Get a lesson!

Step ahead, I’ve been for a few and the last one I had started me on my mission to dial distances in

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
I’ll ask the people I play with most of the time, I honestly have no idea what they are thinking and how they make their choices. It was only last night when we went to a range that has the tracking screens that they asked why I was sticking to certain distances and things derailed from there. They got me into golf as they started so yeah, all fairly new and going about getting better our own way.

But even still, we are generally waiting on the group infront of us when we play. Not slow, just not good.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

ElGroucho posted:

It’s nice that they got you started on golf, but find yourself a professional golfer to get the training wheels off. If your friends don’t even know their approximate distances with each club…. It’d be like learning to surf from the guy who uses a body board on baby waves.

Yeah I did this a few months in when I started scoring lower than them and it’s 100% why I’m shooting in the 90’s with a few games in the 80’s now.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Just finished 18 and tied my best of 88, no 3 putts and no lost balls. A good day even though it’s starting to get warm here again.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Supposed to be back at work but the Australian PGA is on 20mins from home so I’m drinking beers and watching golf. This is a good Friday.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Anyone played golf in/around Madrid? If so any must play suggestions? I’ll be there for at least a month and have a fair bit of flexibility around work to go swing sticks

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Played a par 3 course in Madrid with 3 mismatched rental clubs. Coming from Australian courses it was surprisingly nice for a cheap course. But goddam did I struggle with the rentals, swinging big cavity backs took me a minute to adjust to after playing my old hogan blades back home for the last 18 months.

On a mission today to book a full 18 hole course and take advantage of some warmer weather before I start country hopping back up north again.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

D34THROW posted:

a FAMILY of raccoons

I have opted to take many a drop because I didn’t want to try to hit a shot around/over/through a mob of kangaroos. They just don’t care, will not move for you and sit there watching and judging you.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

BCRock posted:

.We're off to Noosa now to play Noosa Springs, which is supposed to be a very nice resort style course.

If you go inland and up the mountain range from the coast Maleny is a nice course with plenty to do and see around it.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
New country, new clubs time. Getting fitted for the first time next Tuesday, any tips before I head in?

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Oodles posted:

You guys are having fun?

Can’t even enter the fun park, broke my wrist in two places at the start of spring. Going to miss the full “season” because I’m an idiot still healing

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Watching Spieth struggle and in the corner seeing it go 4, 5, 6 up sure is a ride

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
lol now 7 up

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
11 hole shutout inbound

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
I got a winter range membership at some upmarket top golf style place here in the Netherlands, they use inrange tracking even on the standard practice bays downstairs and with the app it saves it all on my phone, albeit there is no club or spin data.

It’s been great seeing how pathetically I’m hitting the ball after breaking my wrist in two places.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Re-learn compression or quit because I destroyed my wrists not golfing

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

mattfl posted:

Fuuuuuuuck that blows!

What do they go for in the us? It converts to like… $500 usd?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
The range near me built a 9 hole course in an old field next door. Sounded cool until I realised it’s the old farmland, and it’s the Netherlands, so every hole can only be 20m wide with water lining each side and crazy wind.

It’s going to be so slow and chaos if the top golf crowd wander over from the range.