Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

This seems like the right thread to ask: does anyone have a recommendation for lefty golf clubs for the relatively new player? I started playing last summer with a borrowed set of right handed clubs and it felt real weird since I shoot left when playing hockey, but I figured I could make it work. Then we went to a driving range that had left handed clubs to borrow and holy poo poo did they feel good compared.

That being said, I have no idea what are decent clubs for a green player and it looks like my pickings are extremely slim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ElGroucho posted:

Depending on whether you are trying to get a full set or not, I suppose you could buy a full set from whatever golfgalaxy or pga superstore. But I bought a Top Flite full set and it was so mediocre, so maybe stick to Wilson or one of the starter sets a bigger name makes.

I would recommend just buying a nice set of used irons and building from there. Callaway Pre-Owned has worked out pretty well for me, and I have finally replaced all my woods, wedges and driver with quality gear. Here's a pretty decent lefthanded set, not too old.

https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/iron-sets/irons-2016-steelhead-xr.html?cgid=iron-sets

What I ended up doing for most of my irons is buying from gigagolf. They aren't going to blow your mind, and they aren't name brand, but if you are barely getting in to golf, don't want to buy used, and don't even know if you are going to keep playing golf in a year, its a decent place to start. I like to think of it as maybe half way between a big box starter set and a used name brand set. This is the left handed set I bought, and it hasn't let me down yet. https://www.gigagolf.com/club_detailsHTML.jhtml?manufacturer=GigaGolf&groupnum=MI-GGTM19-SET

The super pro move, however: Costco sells a starter set of Callaway "Edge" clubs. They're out of stock right now online, but the are pretty cheap for what you get, and they usually have a left handed set available online. If you have a Costco account or a friend with a Costco account, it might be something to be on the look out when they are back in stock. (Comes with a putter!) Here's Rick Shiels reviewing that set https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxHLtcHWnzI

Absolutely perfect, cheers!

e: it looks like callaway May have discontinued the edge series 😩😩😩

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 12, 2020

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Update: the lefty edge kit came back in stock so just picked em up :toot:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Is the Star supposed to be a degree marker and if not what is 56* mean ?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My Costco Callaways came in and god drat are they nice for 499

It’s gonna be so nice to not borrow a set + golf wrong handed :toot:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

goons are typically better at stuff than pubbies so this checks out

shocked its a form of sports instead of a bideo shame or nerd thing but hey

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Dicks has 20% bags for Father’s Day so I was able to scoop up a callaway bag for a decent price

Gonna go to the driving range soon so for now I’m practicing my short game with my sw and pw and hula hoops in my back yard

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Going out on Sunday for the first time, been practicing my chipping so fingers crossed :toot:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Finally made it out to a par 70 course today and I somehow got a 92 after strictly scoring myself

Only had to drop two and all of my splices worked out in my favour since I splice left instead of right :toot:

I didn’t think to wear a hat and I’m bald so, sun poisoning probably imminent

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

DJExile posted:

My first full 18 since the accident late July.

In any other circumstance I'd be annoyed with this but given the situation I'm not going to argue with a 94. Ankle felt pretty good and only started getting annoyed with me around 16 so that was good. I did fantastic off the tee. Putting was a mess but that's to be expected.

What app is that? I was using Golfshot but I honestly had no idea how to use it other than to see which way to go and to track our shots at the end of the hole

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Summit posted:

I’ve been using USwing (formerly SwingxSwing) and I like it a lot. It has the interface that seemed cleanest to me. It has shot tracking. Only caveat is it runs a lottttt better when you’re a subscriber. The ad load for the free version slows it down an unacceptable amount. This seems to be generally true of any ad supported golf tracker.

How much is the subscription?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

This was from a press conference at the Byron Nelson back in 2016:

Only a poser would make such an equivocating comment about quantum mechanics. There are no quantum effects in golf, PERIOD. :spergin:

measuring the golf ball's position changes the outcome, obviously

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Daric posted:

Another good option is the Old Navy GoDry Performance Pants: https://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=435081&ak_t=775A414202682F41BDA03F434E3E207317D8379E704700002984085FE939863D#pdp-page-content

They're stretchy and breathable, look like regular chinos, and can be had for super cheap if you wait for deals.

Also, we're all clear that it's "playing golf" not "golfing" right? You don't say "I was basketballing the other day"

bruh I'm ballin' out every DAY

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Can someone explain like I’m completely daft how I’m suppose to be scoring on Golfshot? Is it total strokes then putts and that 3 strokes and 2 putts totals 5? Or is it 5 with 2 of those being putts?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

DJExile posted:

The latter.

Ok so as it turns out my scores were completely wrong, I should go edit them

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

So after rescoring myself properly, as it turns out I scored 124 instead of 86 on a par 74 course

I knew I wasn’t that decent on one of my first go’s

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Suprfli6 posted:

Lol. Did you have like 16 clubs in your bag and need to give yourself multiple penalties on every hole?

No I scored it as, say, 4 strokes and 2 putts for a total of 6 instead of 6 strokes total with 2 of those being puts lmao

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i also hate drivers, its the only club i have that i just splice the gently caress out of every time.

we were on a smaller 9 hole course last weekend with really tight doglegs to the right, and as a lefty i splice left. I was getting really good distance and had the fucker gone straight i would have been set up perfectly every time.

Instead, the bushes ate most of a box of balls :saddowns:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Tall ceilings are great until you’re tired of hearing an echo or need to change a recessed lightbulb out

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i found some clubs in a garbage and one of the woods is actually made out of wood lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rest in power :rip:

What do I replace it with friends

E: oh duh I’ll just get a new shaft lol

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 24, 2020

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ok so after snapping my 3 wood on the roof of a golf cart that I didn’t realise was so close, I’m gonna take it to get reshafted but my question is: should I even bother reshafting a Callaway Edge beginner wood or should I spend a little bit more and get an upgrade? I’ve been peeping callaway preowned but I’m not sure how much better the epic/rogue/steelxr are comparatively for it to be worth the extra money

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’m extremely interested in those one length clubs just for consistency’s sake, but I’m not entirely sure it’s a good idea to get used to something that could potentially just be a fad and come upgrade time be completely hosed

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Daric posted:

On top of that, I posted it on the forum where I met the woman too and a guy PM'ed me and asked if I was a US Men's National Team fan. When I told him I was, he said he's on staff with them and is going to send me a care package of USMNT stuff. Having a pretty good morning so far!

oh drat that owns so hard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I broke my Callaway edge 3W that I got from Costco and Callaway replaced it with a Mavrick 3W for free :toot: