Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

This might sound stupid, but can you "no-think" it better if you take a quick look at your situation, determine what club you want, make one VERY quick 'practice' swing a yard away from your ball, then approach, line up, and let 'er rip?

I mean, just get your juices going with the club you want at the range you want with the sight line you want with out actually standing there "on stage" thinking "ok...I gotta make contact now and do this thing". I'm not saying you need to be "that guy" that takes 3 swings, replaces his practice divots, tosses grass in the air to check the wind and sips out of his water bottle while squinting at the flag. Just one quick, good, rip at those moments when you feel that anxiousness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Just take one whiff away from the ball with your suspected target and then approach so you aren't "hmm haww'ing" it was all I was going for.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

And now my big OMG post...

I've pondered over posting this in the golf thread, since I imagine many of you are much more experienced and better golfers than I.
However I wanted to share that any advice or questions I ask come from the following background...

When I was 10 my church was holding a golf outting. Knowing my Grandpa was a locally known great golfer, I asked him for help.
He gave me his sand wedge and taught me how to swing it and the general etiquitte of golf.

He held a 10 gallon bucket between his legs while crouched over it and asked me to chip balls into it.

I asked him "But what if I miss, or I hit you in the face?" His response was "Then don't hit me." That is how I learned to hit golf balls.

Following that - my best friend and I played in the church's golf outing paired with his father and the priest, doing our best to whack our way through a round.

At 11 years of age, I became a caddie at a local private country club, biking 4 miles each way just to get to the course for the honor of getting paid $5 -$15 of hiking 18 holes of slogging some random Joe's 1990's golf bag (and on bad day 2 One on each shoulder) bag
After that, I got 'promoted' to being a bag-room employee, which meant picking up and washing range balls, washing clubs, re-gripping them, and doing any number of things you can think of at a private country club that a caddie wasn't doing, while still slinging clubs for the people that asked for you by name.

I can tell you what a bad shot is based on what it sounds like with my eyes closed based on carrying so many bags so close to dusk.
I am also so old that I know what an original "Big Bertha" driver sounds like...
I am also so old that I have carried a 1 iron in my bag. (If you can hit that, may god be with you)

After that, I was "Assistant Pro" working behind the desk, taking tee-times, selling merch, and doing all that poo poo that you can imagine.

7 years I spent my summers doing nothing but golf, and more and more golf. And I love the game still.

Just wanted to rant. Been around the game maybe too long. I can tell you more about golf than you probably ever wanted to know.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 25, 2018

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

DJExile posted:

Holy hell I am done with hybrids. I just cannot hit the dumb things well at all and I'm ready to go back to a 3-4-5i.

Oh, you just can't just toss them out of a decent lie, and need some blade to rip through?

It's almost like hundreds of years of tradition may have something to say about that...

(This loving game)

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

DJExile posted:

Haven't heard of the guy, let's see what's going on here-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N556Hv6589c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8gzXF7ORsU

WHAT IN THE DAGGUM HELL :stare:

uh...huh.

Just the standard "bob'n'weave before time warping into a finished 'bump and run' kind of position while simultaneously inside-out bull-whipping the club head through from an 80% backswing at full throttle. The us' "

I'll be sure to give that a crack tomorrow morning at the muni.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

AndrewP posted:

Anyone using one-length clubs? Having one swing seems appealing. Also my short-rear end 1 wood that I absolutely can’t miss with makes me want all of my long clubs to be shorter.

"Everything old is new again."
--golf

e: to be more topical - I've got a Nike Converge B1 and I loving hate this putter.
It's the perfect putter for me, the head-shape is traditional to what I've always used, the weight is fine, and I LIKE somewhat 'dead' feeling putters specifically of this size and shape and length... and I hate this bastard. Is the ball more than 3 feet away from the cup? Well I might as well be slapping it with a PVC tube I took from a dumpster at Home Depot. I know it's my fault. It always is when it comes to putting. But holy moly do I and this thing have a spiteful relationship. Does anyone else use this and love it?

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 10, 2019

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Douchebag posted:

OMG:

“He would chip shots and scoot his ball around on the tee box just to add strokes, and then he would just pipe a 2-iron down the middle of the fairway, hit it on the green and then just scoot his ball around again with his putter,” Fortis said. “He’d be right next to the hole and then I guess he’d think to himself that he didn’t have enough strokes and he’d hit his ball in the opposite direction of the hole.”

LMAO

As a former caddie, I approve of this message.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

When I was a kid, as a caddie, I saw rich dudes ask 12-13 year old kids to get fired after they puked on the 11th and had to be walked back in and have another kid double up for them.
Have them bitch about buying the kids so much as a lemonade at the turn, and scream at them to 'just loving keep up'.

Grown rear end men, screaming at children in 90-95+ degree heat (in humidity, we aren't in the desert here). Then not tip them out. Here's $10 or $15, depending. Total. For looping 18.

lmao golf!

e: this was in the mid 90's too, not like 50 years ago or something.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 18, 2019

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

sorry had something here.

In regards to the 'one length Irons'... I can't help but feel that's another gimmicky fix that's going to go by the wayside in 2 years.
Does no one else see that?
Even the clubs themselves seem suited for "oh you can totally swing it forever this way" but they're all fat-faced and weighted goofy so you can open-face flop them out of poo poo. Let's not kid ourselves. That's what you're gonna do. You're gonna do it. And then you're going to want some stronger stick to 'pierce the short grass that you're laying into' (i.e. you're laying up short in the fairway and you need a loving 3 iron).

Does no one else see this?

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 18, 2019

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Lincoln posted:

I don't think this is true. Note I haven't posted in... God, months. And I'm an intermediate player.

I've gone from a 20 handicap to a 12 in the last 18 months, and I can honestly say that many of my breakthroughs have defied a lot of conventional wisdom. Short version: swing the way that works for you.

In 2019, there's no reason to think that all club lengths must be graduated. 15 years ago, sure, but now literal tour pros have started using this stuff. Winning tour pros.

I'm echoing my current (new) instructor, but I really don't think there is a "proper" swing. I posted about one-length irons here a couple of years ago, and everybody made fun of me. I'm using standard-length irons now, and I've got a LOT better with them, but man o man I see the advantages of one-length. Really, the only difference at this point is gapping and that's it. I've learned to hit long irons by now, but poo poo I would have appreciated one-length irons a couple years ago.

I've got 600 years that says "maybe one club should be longer than the other"
What color glove are you wearing this year to match the tides?
You still rocking a chopped 67 degree with illegal grooves from a decade ago? Remember that?

e: Look I'm not saying tech can't change the game. It's incredibly obvious it can. And I'm so very willing to be called to task for that that you wouldn't believe. ...but I am a traditionalist and I think there's a place in the bag for long irons and "one swing to cure them all" won't fix it. I'll digress. I'm a lovely golfer and shouldn't talk, I guess.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 18, 2019

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

torgeaux posted:

Nice round today. Finished a par 65 course (really a nice test, several long par 3s, classic mountain golf) in just over 4 hours, which is right on their pace. However, on 17, one of said long par 3s, to an isolated, "island" green at 185, there were 4 groups on the hole. When we pulled up, group on green, and 3 groups on the tee box.

God,

However could you prepare?
Was it taxing?

Does reading this post cause you stress?

"Several long par 3's"

Are you loving kidding me?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Golf is dead.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

As a new fan to golf, I'm stunned by the lack of Bryson DeChambeau coverage. I was to believe this was to be a thing?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

He just cut it off again

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

"Dan, you played with Sergio at the Open when he was just SIXTEEN!"
"Wow."
"Did you know, then, that he might be something special?"
"No."

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm so fed up with hybrid woods that this year I purchased a (relatively) cheap 2 iron, a good mid-sized grip, and a nice shaft for it, and figure if I can spend $120-150 on this experiment to go back to my roots and rid myself of the evils of hating my long-range-mid-game, then so be it.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 28, 2021

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

2 irons are great but so are 5 woods

I would LOVE to think so but I just can't hit a shillelagh off the deck to save my drat life, and I never could, even when I was a DECENT golfer :(
I grew up hitting irons in those spots (my granpa was particularly gifted and played a 1 iron, and I even learned to hit THAT occasionally!!), hitting a rescue wood frightens and confuses me and I always float the drat thing and top the ball. It's a terrible habit.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

What I was really hoping for was that one of the 2020/21 "Extreme game improvement Irons" series from various manufacturers, or even just "game improvement" iron sets would feature a 2 Iron, and none do. None offer a 'single club' purchase option above a 4 iron, expecting the modern player to be loaded with hybrids.

I had to turn to ye olde cavity backs of ill repute and trudge through some stuff. You can get 2's of various major manufacturers if you want to get ice-cold blades as part of a set, but good luck if you're interested in a particular maker's set of irons of any sort, sub $2k, even offering a 2, let alone selling it as a single.

So. Into the great wide open...

e: anyway it was a

Lazrus 2 Iron
KBS Tour 90 Iron shaft
Golf Pride MCC Plus4 grip

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 28, 2021

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

You can do whatever you want, provided it doesn't conform to your hands (like gripping a pistol or game controller, aside from a putter) and doesn't exceed 1.75 inches.

For putters, the grip can include pistol grips and all kinds of weird poo poo, as long as it isn't outside that 1.75 boundary.

You can have a 5 iron with a grip of two pieces of toast, you'd be fine. No butter or jelly though, that's a foreign substance.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I would, in the words of Ice-Cube "Be hesitant"

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Mar 29, 2021

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Hey man,

I'm not in your market space to pick up your stuff right now, but I just wanted to tell you that I think what you're doing, rocks total balls.
Good fuckin' on ya, and god-speed my man. Sorry that's not dollars to back it up, but it's a solid internet high-five. gently caress yea, brother.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I bought a glove via Amazon for the size I figured.
And was well, sure, $16. Whatever.

...Showed up as a six pack. ...MOSTLY fits pretty good! So at least that's something, AND, golf gloves for, like, ever, I guess :/

e: just double checked the listing and order, so if you want a six pack of golf gloves, "TaylorMade Men's Stratus All Leather Golf Glove" via amazon is the way to roll apparently. I got charged $14.99 for 'em

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 30, 2021

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

BCRock posted:

I ordered one just to see what happens, but I'm assuming you got a bank error in your favor since the first answered question in the listing is "Is this a single glove or a multi-pack?" and the answer is single glove.

I'll let you know tomorrow when it shows up if I get 6 probably crappy gloves or just one probably crappy glove for $15! All of the TM gloves I've tried so far except for the most expensive Tour Preferred ones have been junk, but I haven't tried this one so why not...

This is what I said!

And then I got six of them!
HOORAY!

Somewhere out there...
There is a man

...wearing the same glove as you.

...and he is tenderly caressing it. Smooching it. He loves that glove, as much as you do, maybe, even more.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 30, 2021

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Daric posted:

Well Eric Ebron just bought a ballmarker so I’ve officially peaked

Buy him an account and link him to this thread.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I Instantly regret not ordering six of these

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

quote:

MG golf

lol yea no

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Mcqueen posted:

imagine being the dad to that kid. just getting absolutely smoked by your 12yo.

Pfft forget that.

Think of the ringer bets you could pull off.
"Jeez guys my partner didn't show, is it ok if my daughter plays?"

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Keyser_Soze posted:

I saw the last hole of the "event" this evening by accident.

It was chill and fun to watch, shame you missed it

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I hit a 40 yard liner into the middle of the fairway from the base of a tree, left handed using the back of my 3 iron today that made my wife roll her eyes and say 'you're ridiculous' :smug:

Very rewarding bogey save.
lol I love/hate this game every drat day.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Petey posted:

Does anyone else not break/hinge their wrists during their swing?

While waiting around for the folks in front of us today and chatting with my dad and brother on the tee box I realized that I basically don't break my wrists at all, which is apparently...not how their swing works.

Addressing my putter, I make 'finger guns' and let my left index finger shoot 'down the barrel' of my right, while putting more weight into my right hip,

Are you telling me that's not how putting works???

:)

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 12, 2021

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

AndrewP posted:

you know I know golf is frustrating and that's part of the game, but I'm getting real sick of "lost in plain sight" balls and having to take stroke and distance penalties because there's a hill preventing me from seeing where the ball landed

Don't, then.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I got a dozen of the red Chrome 'soccer' pattern and I have to be honest, I can't see them for poo poo. (It also should be noted that I just don't like them so maybe I'm actively losing them...)
As in, actively harder to see them vs standard white.

They are a ball for a clown to use.
At the circus.
for...uh, a clown? :/

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

On the topic of ball coloration, etc.
Matte golf balls are sinfully delicious and should be illegal.

It's bad enough that mini-golf color balls have become the norm, hmm? I'm old-man-pants shakingly mad about that, alright?
Now we have these deliciously textured balls I simply must run my hands over constantly all the time? W..who asked...w..who asked for these..these scrupulously textured, dimpled balls? HMM?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

You must play the first as you find it or else suffer playing under a 'wrong ball' penalty (2 every stroke)

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

D34THROW posted:

I watched a FAMILY of raccoons steal a ball once. Said ball was a lovely Top Flite played by the third that the course stuck with my dad and I. All of a sudden, Mr. Top Flite was playing a Pro V1 that HAPPENED to be where my dad hit his shot. Mmhmm. Sure.

I'm sorry that the lower class Titleist player you were forced to be near stole your daddy's nice expensive ball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

mattfl posted:

I get a college player basically giving up ever playing on the PGA tour for guaranteed money. Although, the PGA tour is gonna be around a lot longer than the LIV tour so is it really worth giving up your chance of ever playing on The Tour for some quick cash?

Are they seriously going to permanently black-ball anyone who plays on the LIV for the rest of their careers?
What are they gonna do, strip their Q-cards?

Also is there a way to stream The Match later through TNT if I don't have cable? I mean I'm ok with STREAMS if that's ok to ask about, but if there's a way to essentially just PPV it reasonably I could do that too.