Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Looking at getting back into golf after not playing in about 15 years. I never really had my own clubs and going to be building a bag from scratch.

A buddy, who does play a lot of golf, told me about the Cobra One-Length iron sets. It looks like they just came out with the R9's and new R8's can be had for cheaper than used R8's.

Seems like relearning one swing for a lot of clubs could be a good thing for me in my position. Does anyone here use the one-lengths? Are you happy with them?

Not going to lie, I love technology stuff and the cobra connect system looks really neat too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerox
May 20, 2001
Played my first 18 holes in 13 years today. Shot 114, but saw what I needed to work on more at the driving range. All and all, I did better than I expected. :unsmith:

Edit: also played with my own clubs for the first time ever, since I previously borrowed my dad’s.

nerox fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 25, 2019

nerox
May 20, 2001
I started back golf about a month ago and I've been playing with a buddy who is a scratch golfer and he has been coaching me the past few weeks. I broke 100 for the first time this morning. :dance:

nerox
May 20, 2001

mattfl posted:

Bryson looks so much less like a dbag when he's not wearing that stupid hat of his. It doesn't look like Brooks has that much size on Bryson although it's probably the looser fitting shirt Brooks is wearing I guess.

You can't wait 3 minutes to take your swing in a fight though. :v:

nerox
May 20, 2001

mattfl posted:

Guys,

Phil Mickelson just replied to my comment on Instagram

Who wants to be my friend now that me and Phil are besties?

Phil's been all over social media this week. I thought his one was funny.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I have started hitting my irons really well (even my 4 iron) and can't hit my fairway woods for poo poo all of a sudden.

I played my first foursome on Saturday. I haven't ever played with 2 of the guys and we were talking prior to starting what we normally shoot (everyone around 95-100) and then my normal golf buddy shoots around 75.

So we get to the first tee, a 325 yard par 4.

The first two guys both slice far right. My buddy hits his right down the middle about 210. Then I hit a great 225 yard drive right down the middle.
I was 100 yards out, which is 9i all day for me, I hit it right on line, but not enough power and left myself about 5 yards off the green, with another 10 to go to the hole.

I grabbed my pitching wedge and did a perfect chip shot, the ball landed about 6 yards from the hole and kept rolling, straight in for my first ever chip in and first ever birdie.

I think the 2 new guys thought I was sandbagging them until I did a double bogey on the par 5 right after this and then a triple bogey on the par 3 after that.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Anyone here use arccos and an Apple Watch?

Have you had your watch app hang up on previous holes and not update yardage to green without reopening the app since the new updates this week?

nerox
May 20, 2001
As a bonus, you can now sit on the back porch of the clubhouse in a rocking chair and claim that rain is coming cause you can feel it in your ankle.

nerox
May 20, 2001

mattfl posted:

Does anyone here use any of the stat trackers like the Arccos system? The wife wants some ideas for Xmas presents and I’d really love something that can track distances better while playing.

When I started back playing golf a few months ago I got an arccos and really enjoyed the stats and it helped me get a feel for my distances for each club. The system itself works really well, I would say it would miss a few shots per round that i would have to manually put in later when I reviewed my round.

That said, I bought a rangefinder about 2 weeks ago cause the watch app doesn't play nice with the newest apple os update and always seems to be bugging out and I haven't even bothered turning it on the last few rounds I played.

tl;dr: I enjoy my Caddytek rangefinder I bought for $100 off ebay more than my $250 arccos at this point now that I know what distance I hit each club.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Phil Mickelson already won the presidents cup with his Instagram post and he’s not even there.

nerox
May 20, 2001
So I got fitted for irons today. I am a tall guy and have been playing with standard clubs for about 6 months now. The fitter noticed real quick that I was hitting everything on the heel of the club and I was a few degrees off on the lie. Turns out I need a 1” extension on the club and I started hitting the sweet spot consistently.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Anno posted:

drat, +1” is a lot lol. Get ready to sail par 3s while you get used to the new gaps.

Yeah, I spent about $150 on my current irons when I started playing, so I didn’t want to spend even more to extend and regrip them, so I got some Callaway rogues coming my way. They were out of stock so I had to order them.

I am pretty pumped and going to have to relearn all my club distances.

nerox
May 20, 2001
What is the best "budget" solution to at home indoor golf that doesn't require silver tape on balls or putting any poo poo on your clubs?

nerox
May 20, 2001

Anno posted:

drat, +1” is a lot lol. Get ready to sail par 3s while you get used to the new gaps.

Trip report: I played on Saturday and Sunday this week after getting my clubs. I did a lot of physical work on Saturday morning and played Saturday afternoon and everything was a disaster, we didn't even bother keeping score cause I couldn't make contact to save my life. I was thinking I made a huge mistake.

Sunday we go out rested up and I am hitting my balls high, long, and straight. The first par 3 we got to, I used to hit 5 iron on. I pulled my seven based on what I was hitting on the range and in the simulator and still sailed the pin by 20 yards. I had similar results every other par 3. Luckily my putting game was on point Sunday and I one or two putted all day long. Ended up shooting an 87, which is 2 strokes better than my previous best.

The correct length irons seem to have introduced a slight draw to my game. My driver is still a wild slice, maybe I need to get that shaft extended too.

nerox
May 20, 2001
and an 8 iron that is still in the plastic and looks to have heavy use. :lol:

If it weren't for the fact he has a bizarre custom putter, I would think he just went to a pawn shop and bought a bag of clubs 10 minutes before he was supposed to be at the tournament.

nerox
May 20, 2001

D34THROW posted:

Reptilechat!

I was just reminded of a couple of my favorite golf course reptile stories.

I'm in Florida, so we have snakes and gators.

1) My dad and I were at the driving range before a round and when we went to leave, we saw a copperhead or moccasin or some drat danger noodle going across the path. We waited until this thing was pretty much off the path, and then snuck by it in the 8 feet remaining between its tail and the far side of the path. This fucker threw itself around and attacked my goddamn leg, bouncing its head off the cart and completely reversing its course. I about poo poo myself.

2) I got back in the cart once after a hole, and it was the cart with the ball holder up next to the steering wheel, slightly to the right. There was an open section, and out of that open section stuck a nice long black thing with eyes. Six inches from my loving leg. After I got out of the cart and shooed it with a putter, it went out the bottom and what I expected to be 2 feet was more like a 4 foot black racer.

3) We saw baby alligators at a course aptly named Gator Trace! They were about a foot, foot and a half long and really loving cute. Didn't see mama so we just got the gently caress outta dodge before she came back.

4) At another local course, the sixth hole is a straightaway par 4, with a water hazard about 3/4 of the way down on the right and another one down past the green to the left. We had seen a sizable gator in the right-side hazard before, but we didn't appreciate how big until this 12-foot fucker was running across the fairway to the other water hazard. Pants-shittingly big.

For your snake in #1, I gotta say it was a moccasin. I've never seen any other poisonous snake here in Georgia alter course to go after a "threat" to them. Hell a rattlesnake won't even strike at you unless you step on them or sit there and poke at it with a stick or something stupid.

I have a local course that we see gators on pretty often. There is one par 3 that the green backs up onto a swamp area. I am waiting for the day that a gator is sunning itself on that green when I play.

nerox
May 20, 2001
With every sport being canceled, what the hell is ESPN going to talk about to kill all their airtime. Maybe they will go full "The Ocho" mode.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I just order AAAA rated golf balls online. Just bought 8 dozen ProV1x's for less than $1 a ball.

I used to only play Wilson Zips which are like $20 for 2 dozen new, but I got a dozen ProV1x's for Christmas and really liked them.

Even at 50% of the costs of new ProV's: Snell, Vice, etc. are still $2+ a ball.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Do any of you use the Kirkland golf gloves? They are $20 for a 4 pack, but I don't have a costco within 2 hours of me to go out and buy some.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I just don't trust my course enough that they are disinfecting the carts to go play. I live on the 15th Hole tee and saw a group of 8 people playing in the Tuesday night scramble and they were all standing next to each other on the tee box.

I may end up going out and walking holes 13, 14, 15, and 16 a few times just to get my fix in. Not going to putt out and have to touch the cup.

I pay a membership fee that lets me play all I want without green fees or cart fee, so they are not going to care if I do this, and from the 13th tee, I can see if anyone is on 11 and 12 that I would be in the way.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Played for the first time in a long time today. No range balls, just going out cold.

Front 9: I was about +3, way above where I normally am. Had the best iron shot of my life, 163 out with a tree in the way. Hit the ball perfectly, cleared the tree by about 2 feet and hit the green.

The back 9... we aren't going to talk about my back 9 :(

nerox
May 20, 2001
Peyton’s comments are the best part of this so far.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Tiger vs. Peyton.... but its an executive par 3 course.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Shrapnig posted:

Honestly it’s consistency that makes you a good golfer. I’m not a consistent or good golfer but playing with those kind of players actually looks boring. We all want to play boring golf. Fairway, green, two putt par puts you in the 1% of golfers.

I’m sure most of us have the friend who hits bombs and then struggles to make bogey or the friend who can’t hit a ball and one putts every green.

I’ll play with my dad’s group occasionally and they have one guy who shoots between 73-77 every round, he doesn’t make mistakes off the tee and he gets up and down from everywhere. Fucker also pipes the ball and he’s in his 70s but what can we do about that.

Yeah it is kind of crazy to think about, but I have birdied every hole at my local course at this point. That means theoretically I can shoot a 54 on that course. However, I am so inconsistent I usually shoot high 80's low 90's :v:

nerox
May 20, 2001

AndrewP posted:

If I'm a bad golfer, will I be helped in any way by more expensive balls? Should I just get the cheapest I can find?

I haven’t used them, but planning to order some Srixon Soft Feel. They are $20 a dozen, but buy one get one free right now at Srixon.con, which puts you under $1/ball.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Have you considered putting with a long iron and using the extra club slot for a 72 Degree Wedge?

nerox
May 20, 2001

mattfl posted:

So uh, does anyone else think we might should start a Goon Golf discord incase this place goes tits up?

Unfortunately, this thread is not super active and a goon golf discord might initially have some activity, but I am afraid it would slowly just die off as people stop looking at it and there not being any way to actually bring new people into the discord.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Buying million dollar hole in one contest insurance is cheap. I can't imagine how cheap the insurance on that gimmick is.

nerox
May 20, 2001

xsf421 posted:

I got some Arccos sensors recently from their completion program (own a cobra club with a sensor, get the rest for free). I'll be trying them out on Monday, but it's kind of weird that they don't have any sort of club tracking for the driving range.

Arccos works by simply making a gps read when you make a shot. Then it goes back and fills in the information for that shot when you make your next swing.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Arccos knows which club you are using cause each sensor is tied to a specific club.

I have arccos and to be honest I never bother with it anymore. I loved it when I first got it, but there was an Apple iOS system update a few months later and it’s never quite worked right since and I end up having to go in and manually add back strokes.

I emailed support about it and the workaround was like to restart the app every time the app got hung up. I should try it again soon to see if they ever
Fixed the bugs.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Kirios posted:

I will pay you cost plus shipping and a little extra to ship the Mario bad markers to me

:same:

I assume this is in Japan, how much is it to ship something to Georgia?

nerox
May 20, 2001

harperdc posted:

Give me a week or so to pick them up and send, I can PM each of you later with costs. But shouldn’t be too bad, letter-packs being sent overseas usually aren’t more than $8 or so.

That would be awesome, I really want the goomba and didn’t find it anywhere.

nerox
May 20, 2001

mattfl posted:

Apparently his new Cobra driver was just added to the conforming list yesterday so he's probably breaking it in lol

It's apparently a training exercise where is his literally just trying to get his club head speed as fast as he can and hitting balls rapid fire.

It reminds me a lot of this goodgood video where Berkshire is working with Bryson to get speed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pibACnhf1Hc&t=2s

nerox
May 20, 2001

Lincoln posted:

Hey hey hey here's the view from my new backyard:

That's the green just past the bunkers; you can just see the pin. I'm going to keep a box of ProV1s handy so I can toss one into the bunkers when I see a group of golfers approaching. I'm not sure I'll get any better at golf while I'm living here, but I will get poorer. House is about 30 yards short of the green, and offset from the fairway...you can see the cart path just past the fence. Not sure how many free balls I will collect. I have a friend who lives out here, and he has a couple of buckets of free balls in his backyard, and has replaced two windows. Time will tell.

You will get balls. I live on a tee box and someone literally has to hit the ball 90 degrees off line to make it inside my fence from the back tees, from the front tees I don’t think it’s possible. I still get a ball or so a week. Of course it’s always a pinnacle.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Just had a google notification that “Morikawa wins Memorial Tournament” :lol:

nerox
May 20, 2001

shyduck posted:

I don't use the 2-ball but I love the White Hot insert

Unrelated, but yesterday somebody died from a lightning strike at a course not far from where I live. It's possibly the first lightning-related death in the country this year. Be careful out there

Queue my wife saying "loving idiots" when we are sitting on our back porch and watching golfers tee off on #15 behind our house when its thundering all around us.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Lincoln posted:

My wife and I both refer to this as our retirement home, but with a different emphasis. Her because she's going to retire here. Me because the house has replaced my retirement.

Four yard balls so far, one Pro V1.

They are always Pinnacles, Nitros, or Noodles.

nerox
May 20, 2001

mattfl posted:

poo poo you just reminded me I lost mine recently and need to pick up a new one.

Looks like there are a bunch on amazon during their prime days deals.

This one has pretty good what seem like real reviews

https://www.amazon.com/Gogogo-Range...ods&sr=1-8&th=1

Think I'm gonna grab it.

I have a caddytek v2 that has slope and has the plates to where it can be a non-slope version that tourney legal or whatever. They are always like $99 on ebay and never had a problem with it. So its an under $100 range finder with slope that gets a goon seal of approval.

I also have a friend who makes too much money that uses a Garmin Z82 which is $600 and has a hud that shows you an overview on the left side, which while cool is not worth it.

Also, I can't recommend "Frogger Golf Rangefinder Latch-It Golf Cart Attachment" on amazon enough to strap your rangefinder to the cart, I've never managed to accidently dislodge my rangefinder from the cart, yet its easy to pull it off to shoot a flag.

nerox fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 22, 2021

nerox
May 20, 2001

daslog posted:

Next week, we can discuss why I carry a 7 wood instead of a 3 hybrid (try it, it's amazing)

I have a friend with an old rear end 9 wood, the face looks like a wedge and it is amazing to hit.

Meanwhile, today I could not stop slicing the hell out of my driver, so I said gently caress it and hit 3h off tee the entire round other than par 3’s. Which in most cases left me with a 3h for my second shot, meaning I used my 3h, 56 degree, or putter for almost my entire round.

nerox fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerox
May 20, 2001
They should replace Rodgers with John Daly.