Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
If I was in the gallery next to that "Bababooey" rear end in a top hat I would throw him into the lake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

mattfl posted:

Holmes is getting ripped apart on Twitter by other pga pros about how slow he was lol. They said his final shot took over 4 minutes!

4:10. Plus golf channel said he had like 2 minutes while the group on front cleared, so really he was mulling that shot for about 6 minutes, only to lay up into the rough. :downsbravo:

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Boco_T posted:

Brandt Snedeker started with a bogey and shot a 59 including a 176-yard second shot hole out on 6. There are some people out on the course but he’s going to end up with around a 5-shot lead after day one of the event.

And he missed like a 2 footer for another birdie. Dude could've theoretically shot a 57.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

torgeaux posted:

When did the US golfers start sucking so bad?

When they focus on hitting the ball 330 yards in some random direction instead of driving it on the fairway.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Boom, 82.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Trevino was always fun to watch because a golf round to him is just an excuse to have a good time and talk the ears off everyone he's playing with.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

daslog posted:

Bryson can be annoying

And passengers on the Titanic got a little damp.

People don't dislike him because of his unconventional swing. People dislike him because he's an insufferable dick.

But he might end up being responsible for the governing bodies having to change the equipment rules. You can't have people hitting 340-350 yard drives all the time.

Presto fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 8, 2021

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Petey posted:

Actually you can and you should, it rules.

No you can't and you shouldn't and it doesn't rule. I mean, unless you want the future of golf to be nothing but DeChambeaus and the game turn into driver+wedge on every hole.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Petey posted:

Why isn't Bryson winning everything? It's because it's hard to be that big and strong and still be able to be good at stuff besides hitting the ball nine thousand yards.
Yes some courses aren't set up for his style of play. So I guess that's one solution: stop paying tournaments on the long-ball courses.

Or let the roughs grow to about 6 inches and squeeze the fairways 5 yards.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Mcqueen posted:

You thought they cried about the greens at Chambers Bay, lets see them hit this 1995 Pinnacle that's been in the water for a decade.
Maybe that's what happened to Rory today at the Players (shot 79).

And Kevin Na just carded a snowman on 17.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

torgeaux posted:

And for symmetry, Na hit three in the water and now An has hit three in the water.
Make that 4. He put up an 11.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
And the data from the car says the accelerator was at 99%. Sounds like he was going too drat fast, lost control, panicked, and hit the wrong pedal.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

ElGroucho posted:

No, because he’s a loving idiot
"Hmm, I could risk my own health, the health of my wife, my newborn child, the spectators, and everyone else around me; not to mention potentially missing out on millions of dollars.

Or I could get a couple shots.

What to do, what to do?"

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Josh Lyman posted:

271 yd carry on a flat hole from Yuka :stare:
After round 1 the driving distance leader was a 14-year old (Chloe Kovelesky). 301.3 yards.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Jeez, Korda family, save some of the good genes for the rest of us.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Douchebag posted:

I am, yes. Course is beautiful, the play has been good, Rory isn’t wearing a hat because he has a small head, leaderboard is so far very good.

And we got to hear Xander breathe out a "shhhhiiiit" after a bad shot.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Xander tryin' really hard to throw this away.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I always loved Inbee's slow backswing. You can almost hear her powering up (rnrnrnRnRnRnRNRNRN thwack!).

And Shanshan is fun to watch. Seems like she's just enjoying playing. If she wins, great, if not, well, she had a nice walk and conversation with her caddie.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Douchebag posted:

So apparently it’s stupid hot for the ladies right now?
Yeah, heat index is around 105. They just asked Sagstrom what her first Olympic experience was like and she said, "Hot."

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Says here he was also rolling his eyes while Cantlay lined up 2-footers (which is irony overload coming from him), and he tipped his cap to the gallery walking up 18 as though he already had it won.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
It should be legal to taunt Bryson constantly.

But yelling "get in the hole" or "bababooey" should result in you getting shot immediately.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Suprfli6 posted:

Scheffler 2-0 against Rahm in match play this year, pretty solid. US looks to have a pretty strong roster for the next few years which is awesome.
They actually played like a team for a change. This may be heresy, but I wonder how much of it is due to Tiger and Phil not being there.

Or maybe it's Stricker knowing who to pick.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Plank Walker posted:

I would unironically watch high level mini golf, assuming it was presented for TV exactly the same as normal golf, and Rob Riggle was not involved in any way
Only if it was a proper old-school course with a windmill hole.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Jin Young Ko hit 63 consecutive greens-in-regulation at the CME Globe. Starting at the 10th hole in the first round, she hit every drat one. :eyepop:

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Shrapnig posted:

Tiger's swing looks pretty good out there.
Charlie's not too shabby either.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Anno posted:

Then he comes out and his irons looked good, putting was solid, ripped a few hard cuts off the tee...
There was one tee shot where he blasted it, and then kinda went ouchie and grabbed his leg, like he remembered, oh yeah, I shouldn't do that now.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I'm not sure what he was thinking (if he was thinking at all). Is his sense of self-importance so inflated that he just thought everyone was going to nod along, saying "yes, quite so. We shall give that dastardly PGA the old what-for", and then follow him to the Saudi tour like he was the Pied Piper?

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
You get $10k for playing in the Masters even if you miss the cut.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Lots of good golf on the LPGA. Last week Jin Young Ko set a record with her 15th consecutive round in the 60s and 30th consecutive under par.

Also, LOL they still haven't finished the first round of the Players.

Edit: Aaaand the 1st threefour tee shots on 17 after restart are in the water.

Presto fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 12, 2022

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
:siren: We have a birdie at 17! (Daniel Berger)

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Azinger: With the wind from the right it's like an invisible wall over there.
Sam Burns: *hits his tee shot 10 yards into the trees on the right*

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Anno posted:

Never felt older than Tirico just saying that the co-leader of the ANWA was born in March 2006
And she won!

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Prurient Squid posted:

How is a hole in one even possible? Or is it just some wonderful hypothetical that is achieved only in legend. (Yeah, I figure it must happen on occasion).

It's pretty much luck, but it's not that rare. Generally on the pro tour someone gets one every week or two. A couple years ago Brian Harman made two in the same round.

Here's an example of a wee bit of luck: https://youtu.be/2_f_6KTBYAU

quote:

One of the commentators pointed out that there's a golfer that is actually right handed but plays golf left handed.

Phil Mickelson is right-handed but plays left. Jordan Spieth is left-handed but plays right.

Presto fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 28, 2022

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Get your money for duffing (I want my, I want my)
And the sheiks for a fee (I want my LIV)

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
At this point signing onto the LIV seems to carry with it a tacit admission that you're not good enough to win on the PGA tour.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

i am a moron posted:

The golf kinda sucks too.

Hey, if you're getting paid millions just to show up, there's less incentive to put much effort into playing well.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
The US Open is run by the USGA, not the PGA, so the PGA's bans do not apply.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

BonoMan posted:

I do kind of wish there was one or two PGA events during the year that were a little more "fun" and played on farcical courses or something.

Back in the day they used to have off-season skins games or skills competitions. That kind of died when the wraparound seasons started.

Oh, and for the poster a while back who was asking about holes-in-one: those are common as dirt. Here's something much more rare -- a double eagle...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7-cxDSkpy8

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Huh, Finau goes back-to-back. Be right back, going outside to look for aerial pigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Cam Smith officially jumped to LIV.