Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Hit the range for the first time in months. I barely made contact, and my clubs are somehow rusted. It was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Soliciting opinions, as I got new irons and figured it's time to upgrade the rest of my stuff...

Cart bag, or stand bag? And how important is full-length dividers (which seems hard to find in a stand bag)?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

In addition to the TaylorMade irons I got for my birthday in November, my wife got me a new stand bag (glad I held off on purchasing anything after I asked here) and six one-hour lessons with a pro at Orange County National. Should be interesting, as I've never had a lesson in my life and pretty sure this guy is gonna be like "Holy poo poo, this kid is awful"

Since I work west coast time but live in Florida, I'm kind of thinking about doing the walking nine-hole course in the morning once a week or so. For solo golfers, how do you track your ball? I tend to either a) lose sight of the ball, or b) look up too early and miss the drat ball in the first place.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

RCarr posted:

Not meaning any offense, but if you can’t track your ball you might need glasses.

My vision is fine, thanks, it's more the habit. I seem to look away for a second and then have to figure it out

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Got my first official lesson scheduled. This poor guy has no idea what he's in for

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Had my first lesson this morning at OCN. Started out very rough, but by the end I was doing alright. Completely changed pretty much every element of my grip and a few other tweaks. Now to keep up with practicing. It feels so unnatural right now

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

mattfl posted:

By OCN do you mean Orange County National?

I do, we live in one of the neighborhoods down the street

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

My golf coach said he wants me to play nine holes before our next lesson. I've never a) walked a course before, or b) played alone. Any advice/tips?

My plan is to go at the first available tee time during the week.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

daslog posted:

My friends and I have a rule that you pick up at double par. Works pretty well and keeps one hole from totally ruining your day

torgeaux posted:

Do you mean alone, or without a known partner? Playing with strangers is great, just relax and be as social as your comfortable with. Watching other golfers is always a learning experience.

If alone, take the time to think about what your doing, not just do what you always do.

I mean alone, as I'm hoping no one wants to be on the course at that hour early on a weekday morning, particularly as I'm just learning the game for real. I don't want to slow anyone down or embarrass myself.

ElGroucho posted:

I’d also say, once your at 4x bogey, just pick up and move on…. Some day you’ll be great, but there’s no point killing yourself over a tough hole right now

My brothers and I always follow the double-par rule as well

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Alright, played nine holes early this morning all alone. I was supposed to go out with another guy but he just took off and was a hole ahead of me by the time I made it to the first tee; guess it's more of a start-as-you-show-up thing.

Started off with a par and thought hey, this could be a good idea. Didn't have anything lower than a five after that. 46 on a par 29. Chipping and putting were the downfalls; after the first hole, I two and three putt just about everything, and my chipping led many shots to shoot past the green. Even one stroke better per hole on those would have gotten me to a much more respectable number.

But I had fun, and tracked as much as I could with Golfshot

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Oh this is gonna be fun!

We have a tradition: Both the morning of the rehearsal dinner (18) and the day of the wedding (9), we play golf. My sister is getting married next June in County Kildare, Ireland - just outside Dublin. I've started looking at courses, but am open to any suggestions

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

DJExile posted:

I played European Club in 2012 and it was phenomenal. It's in Wicklow, just to the south of Dublin.

Perfect, thanks!

Also, played the nine-hole course again. Last time I shot a 46, felt good about it. This time...48. Lost four balls on back-to-back holes (two on 6, two on 7). Just brutal. Then I hit an awesome drive on 9, chipped onto the green for a legitimate birdie....and ended up with a bogey. The search for my first birdie remains elusive.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I've been looking at this: https://irangesports.com/products/irangesports-stick-lite-1. Along with the magsafe puck, seems pretty straightforward. I don't know if any of the iPhone shot tracing apps are any good though

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Don't you still need your phone in order to add shot tracing with the R10?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

When y'all are playing solo and hit two balls....do you use the best one for the score? If the tee shot goes in the water and your 2nd ball tee shot hits five feet from the pin, do you count the drop?

Because I either hit my best 9-hole score.....or my second worst.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

torgeaux posted:

It's not a round you can count, generally. But, I keep both scores as two separate rounds, just not for handicap. The first ball could conceivably be legal, so long as you always hit it first, even if closer to the hole. Otherwise, especially while putting, you're violating some rules.

Yeah I never putt two balls. Generally I'll hit another if it goes in the water/lost as per usual, or if I absolutely shank one I'll try another.

It's also incredibly maddening when I hit a ball right down the fairway and then I just...can't....find....it.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I just had the single worst driving range performance ever. Not worst since I started taking lessons, I mean worst in my golf history. Two buckets, 80 balls, *maybe* five decent shots. I was topping and shanking everything. Embarrassing. I took a quick video of it and sent it to my coach, he said I'm coming over the top worse than ever. Somehow, in trying to go more inside-out, I've gone further outside-in. Truly remarkable.

And I'm supposed to play 18 with a neighbor this weekend. If I swing the same, that 18 will quickly turn into 9

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Played my first 18 in almost a year yesterday. Shot a true 105. Lost seven balls, didn't really find my groove until the last few holes.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Son of a bitch, put up a 46 this morning. In six rounds on the 9 hole course, every score ranges from 45-48. Today the big issue was tee shots and my chipping on the first few holes (looking at you, 7 on the first hole). Best day of putting by far though, 1.89 compared to 2.56 from my first round

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

drat that looks amazing

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Josh Lyman posted:

I make a thread for each major on Monday morning (New York time) of tournament week. We also do a betting pool, if you’re so interested. Top 10 betting favorites are prohibited but whoever picks the best finisher in the pool get :20bux: from everyone else.

I can vouch, it's fun and people pay quickly

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

loving hell. Had my worst round this morning. I usually shoot in the mid-40s on this nine-hole walking course, and this morning I put up a 50. No pars, two bogeys, the rest were trips and a quad for good measure on 9. I feel like I wasn't even thinking about my swing, just kind of whacking away at the ball. Tee shots went left, right, short, and long. Two in the water. Two out of bounds. A couple of three-putts. My chipping was stuttered, like I was afraid to make contact, which culminated in the following sequence: hitting the ground well before the ball and missing completely, tapping the ball forward two inches, knocking the ball completely over the green, chipping onto the fringe.

Also, why do they let you on the course if the grounds crew is still working? I had to wait to tee off on 6 because they were mowing the green, which caused a backup and made me feel rushed

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

MustardFacial posted:

All of this talk about clubs and shot shapes has made me look more closely at my R10 data.

Everything about my swing is hosed

My R10 comes tomorrow, and I cannot wait

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Had my first range session with the R10 this morning, and holy poo poo is that thing cool. It pointed out the obvious: I'm a terrible golfer. But getting the instant feedback and metrics was sweet, even though my average drive was only 187 yards and equally split between 20+ feet right and 20+ feet left.

ETA: Also, I cannot hit my 5 iron for the life of me. I either top it or chunk it, there's virtually no in between.

What's your white whale club, the one you can never seem to hit?

Omne fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 27, 2022

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I feel like we should do a central Florida Goon scramble

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Oh for sure, its 15-25 extra yards from the tee vs. elsewhere.

Also, tale as old as time. Went to the PGA Superstore to pick up some balls and a glove....and walked out with a new putter and Callaway Mavrik driver

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Do a worst ball hole and see which twosome ends up with the best score

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Shot a 105 yesterday. Again. 55 out, 50 in (last time was 53/52). Had three pars on the back 9, but also a few instances of being unable to connect with the ball and get out of a bunker. The search for the first birdie continues

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Today's range session compared to last week's, courtesy of the R10:

My slice on the Driver wasn't nearly as bad; of the 23 shots I took this morning, five went more than 10 yards right. Unfortunately, ten of the 23 went more than ten yards LEFT, which is new. They weren't necessarily hooks either, but came off straight to the left. I did hit my longest drive ever, 230 yards. With my 5W, everything was left. It's like whatever adjustment I've made to fix my slice has led me to push everything far to the left.

I also crushed (for me) a 7i 165 yards.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Shrapnig posted:

You're probably unconsciously or consciously aiming left to counter the slice so straight shots are going left of target.

A 165 yard 7 iron "equates" to about a 270 yard drive so yeah, you definitely have some driver gremlins.

Yeah I thought of that, it’s likely I’m closing the club face too much trying to get it straight vs the slice, and hitting it pure to the left instead. It’s really only a problem on my driver and 5W. Everything else is pretty straight unless it’s a total shank

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

So who thinks I break 40 on the par-3 course tomorrow? Previous low is 44

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Omne posted:

So who thinks I break 40 on the par-3 course tomorrow? Previous low is 44

The answer is a resounding "no." Second worst round I've ever had on that course, 48. I went triple, double, double, double, bogey, double, triple, par, quad (three in the water so I just stopped and took the double-par). The par was a fluke; tee shot goes into the greenside bunker. First attempt out, gently caress it up and the ball goes two feet, still in the bunker. Third shot: chipped out and it rolled in.

What's bonkers to me is this is a little course, 1500 yards, seven 3's and two 4's, and I'm putting up 45-50. On a regular course, 6400 yards, I'm pretty close to that for each turn. This course is my nemesis.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I'm 40 and according to both Garmin R10 and GolfShot, I average....189 on my drives.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Kirios posted:

I average a mere 245 carry on my driver. You and I are the weak boys in this thread.

My average is brought down a lot because of my shanks and slices, but yeah, the top end of my drives is 220-230.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Prurient Squid posted:

I was going to ask how you guys always seem to know how many yards you hit the ball. Is there some kind of computer thing at work?

That particular screenshot is from the Garmin Golf app, using data from my Garmin R10, which is a portable launch monitor (i.e. it has crazy cameras and can track my ball when I hit it on the driving range and give me all sorts of data: carry, distance, apex, various angles, etc.).

As stated, most players either use a rangefinder (looks like binoculars, but when you look through it it tells you distance to a point in front of you) or the GPS on their phone or watch. I use the GolfShot app, which knows when I hit a shot, and when I hit my next shot, it knows how far the previous shot went.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

According to the R10, I hit my longest drive ever today at the range: 245 whole yards. Overall, not nearly as much slice, and also not as much pushing to the left. Hit my new hybrid pretty well, and finally started connecting with my 5 iron.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Mederlock posted:

Have you found that referencing the data has actually helped your game at all?

Absolutely. It's told me just how bad I am at golf.

But in all seriousness....I'm terrible at judging distances, and it's really helped me see where I'm hitting clubs. I don't look at all the stats - frankly there's so many it's easy to get lost - but I can compare shots and see which ones I clearly came over the top and how that forced the sidespin to do what it does vs. shots that went straight or had a nice fade, and how I can try to repeat that. As an example, it's helped me really see that as I've worked to fix my slice, I push everything straight left, and I can see it in the clubface and path measurements. Meanwhile, my irons don't have the same problem, from short to long.

abigserve posted:

But, as you get into longer clubs, and especially driver, it starts to fail a lot more - the distance is still pretty accurate afaik (it's hard to tell on a range how far your balls are going exactly) but it gets the shape and launch angle wrong probably 30% of the time.

I saw a bit of this today, but the guy next to me was hitting angled shots at the same time so I think my unit was a bit confused

Omne fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 6, 2022

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

No Tiger at the U.S. Open. Sucks, but probably the right call to rest and recover more before The Open at St. Andrews

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I mean, they gave Phil $200M and DJ $125M, so it sounds about right for Tiger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I'm getting worse.

Shot a 51 this morning (par is 29). Opened it triple/double/quad. Then lost two in the water on 7, two on 8, and for good measure one on 9. 51 is a new record worst score on this course for me. Pretty much everything felt wrong.

Why does golf torture me like this