Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Suprfli6 posted:

Another WD due to back issues, I was hoping Tiger would stay healthy. I didn't see anything last week that looked like he was in pain so I wonder what caused this.

It was probably the 3 horrible chips resulting in a double bogey on the previous hole... :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Doyzer posted:

Tiger has a lot work ahead of him before the Masters. I don't think his pride will let him chip/pitch like that at Augusta.

Sure does. His chipping is god drat atrocious. He is hitting everything fat or stubbing it. I don't think there was 1 chip I saw his last round where he made decent contact with a wedge. His distances are all off, his accuracy is shot. His new swing is weird and I think his muscle memory is fighting it and he ends up decelerating and forcing wrist break. This is one of those rare times where golfers like myself that shoot low 80's high 70's can pretend we're better than Tiger, if only for a week.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Played my first round since October 29th over the weekend. YIKES. Every fairway in reg and I was blasting my drives, even had one par 5 where I needed to hit 305 to carry a small creek and I ended up a good 10 yards past it. Course was pretty damp and it was only 60, so once it warms up more and drys out a bit it probably be even better. Unfortunately my short game is back to newb standard. Averaged 3.2 pph and had several mishit shots with my wedges under 100 yards. I was hitting all of my irons 10 yards longer than last year and my 56 degree was sailing everything as a result or coming up incredibly short. Had one eagle miss by about an inch and managed 3 birdies and 4 pars and several unfortunate doubles after amazing drives. Shooting 92.. my last round out last year I shot 83.. on the same course, from the same tees and even the same pin position (only reason I remember that is it was a tournament style round and I wrote it down in my book.)

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

UnionCarbide posted:

I picked this stupid coin game up for $10 in a golf shop while I was on vacation last month: http://www.amazon.com/ProActive-JKC001-Ka-Ching-Game/dp/B0013V5HXK/

I finally got around to playing it yesterday with some folks from my golf club. Holy poo poo, this is the best $10 I ever spent. The game itself is pretty simple and could be done on paper, but having the physical coins just makes it so much more fun. Coins were changing hands pretty much every hole, there was plenty of taunting and joking about it.

I dunno if you could play it in a group of strangers, though. Might cause fistfights :)

I generally just play 'Wolf' when I am playing with friends, I feel like we'd lose the coins mid-round.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

DJExile posted:

Is that the game where every hole one dude chooses to take on the others to see who gets best score? That's fun as hell.

That's the game. It pairs well with beer for every putt over par game we play. Although generally the guys I play with I tend to go lone wolf a lot unless it's a par3 where one of my buddies always seems to birdie every par3, but double bogies everything else. It's pretty fun though, especially when you're playing for money :D

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Halo14 posted:

Every second Saturday I play with my old man for :10bux: He's currently playing off a 13hc while I'm 3. Pretty generous head start I reckon.

He was looking confident after 4 holes, then I decided to stop being a spastic:

Missed a 3 foot curler for birdie on the last :(

You used driver on everyhole including the par 3s ? :D Also tell that course to grow a pair already, it's 1300 yards shorter than my "home" course from the member tees and 1550 shorter than the tips!

Had my second round out this year after the first outing being all around terrible. Shot an 87 though, my chipping was still atrocious, driving on point, putting improved.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Halo14 posted:

Haha I can't hit a driver to save my life. I'm just too lazy to select the club in GolfShot :)

What are these yards you talk about? We have metric here! All in meters. Still not the longest course I guess.

Still 5500 M is 6000 yards, that to me sounds like every par 4 is driveable unless it's a weird layout

my normal course plays 6,600 meters from the tips. Of course there is a par5 that's 600 yards long so the rest of the course isn't bad!

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Kameh posted:

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2015/03/aaron-baddeley-crazy-birdie-video.html

Baddeley yanked his first tee shot OB on a drivable par 4. Re-teed, holed his next shot for birdie.

Insane.

That is insane. I didn't start watching until right around when Phil's 8 iron head snapped off in the bunker. What I really want to know though, why did Hoffman chop off his mullet? :(

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
So I spent a solid hour and a half in a Golf Galaxy last night hitting clubs, having a driving competition, arguing with one of the "pros" and buying nothing. Originally I went in on my way home to buy some golf balls, Taylormade Tour Preferred for those that care. I like them more than a ProV1. Anyway, they for some reason don't even carry them, at least in that store. They had RBZ and those new Project (a) balls. Argument came in when I asked the pro where the TP's were and he pointed at the project a and said that's the "new" version, but after like 5 minutes of arguing to him that they were (a) amateur balls for people with like 14-18HCP and how much he didn't know poo poo he said, "well why not just buy some ProV1's like everyone else then?" Great response if you want that sale, bud.

Next I moved over to the irons and was looking over the selection some nice clubs coming out look wise. Some little kid, maybe 13 was trying to destroy a demo driver in the simulator so I went over there and waited my turn. I wanted to hit the R15 the new Bertha, the new Burner for shits and giggles and the new Titleist D15. The R15 I hit was decent, similar to my R1, felts a little softer off the face and had a more pronounced face on it which looked weird. Distance wise it was the the same as I would expect from my R1 though. Also tried the 430cc head R15 and it felt much more crisp on hits.The new big bertha was pretty good, felt nice, had a good weight in my hands nothing to note on that really. The new burner was about what I expected having had burners in the past, basically was a painted RBZ 2.0 if I had to compare it to something. I'm not sure what type of simulator they use, think it began with an O - but no real way for me to judge distance since it didn't seem to count roll out on the ball for distance, just carry. For some numbers I was consistent on all clubs at 115-117mph swing speed. The R15 was carrying on the screen approx 280 yards on average across 10 best hits/swings. the D15 was 278 avg. The burner and bertha were both 270. I don't remember the other stats on the screen, it literally popped up and went away in a 1/2 a second so I couldn't really get launch, ball speed etc. For reference, on the course my R1 swing speed is 117mph average and I usually average around 305 yard total distance in warm weather, no idea what the carry is. I will say the balls in the sim were poo poo so that could have much to do with it as well, one of them even had a hole in it that I kept forgetting about until I hit it and could hear the difference. Somehow I had picked up a small group of weekend hackers watching me hit balls, and I thought they wanted to test clubs so I moved out of the sim for them since I had been in there for 20 minutes. Oddly enough they wanted to have a "long drive" competition with me so myself, 2 random dudes and the guy working at the simulator all took turns with the same club trying to murder the ball. The 2 random guys were pretty poo poo, mostly insane slices from swinging too hard, the employee was pretty drat consistent up the middle, but he couldn't get anything over 270y. So I 'won' - Hit that D15 290 carry with a 121mph swing speed, almost fell out of my nikes like bubba.

Another 20 minutes had passed, but the gf still hadn't called wondering why I wasn't home so I decided to hit some irons, because I am interested in replacing mine sometime soon. I won't get into all the details for each club because I hit a lot of 7 irons. I will say the new Nike Vapor Pro irons felt pretty drat awesome. The pro-combo was also nice. The extreme game improvement Vapor speeds were absolute poo poo. They were heavy and clunky. If you're in the market for extreme game improvement look elsewhere. I however am not the demographic for those clubs, I just wanted to hit it anyway. The pro's hit like a dream though, like 185 7iron consistent, had like a 22* launch angle so I was hitting them stupid high which is pretty normal for me. Moved on to the taylormade clubs. The RSi TP irons were also pretty legit, felt very similar to the nike's and their middle of the range RSi2 was even pretty nice for a game improvement. Then I hit drat SLDR 7 iron, and it was stupid. The sim tracked it at 203 yards, with a 7 iron. Not sure who those clubs are for though, maybe 10-14 hcp players that need more distance? Either way they felt nice. Sadly they didn't have any Tour Preferred MB's to try out because that is the club I have been eyeballing for awhile now. Out of all the clubs I hit though the true shinning star was definitely the Callaway Apex Pro's - they hadn't really been on my radar at all. Mishits weren't very forgiving, but it's basically a blade so I didn't really expect it to be, but drat on flush hits they feel so nice. They weren't SLDR levels of stupid distance, but I pegged the 7 iron 185 average, also tried to shape the ball different ways and they were pretty easy to hit a draw or fade with on command. I'd still like to get the Vapor Pro, TP MC and The Apex Pro's all together for more demoing, but it's down to those clubs for sure. Of course the guy tried to sell me on the Apex since it's the club he uses and he thinks it's the best overall. They were also selling them for 1100 bucks when I can get them new online for 850 from Callaway :D

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 2, 2015

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Nerdrock posted:

It might have been an Optishot, which is what I have in my attic. It's basically the cheapest (but pretty ok) simulator you can get. It's nice in that it tells you club head speed, face angle, and path.. but that's it.

Unrelated : Bandage came off my left hand carpal tunnel surgery today. initial trials for a golf swing are UNPLEASANT. Probably be a few more weeks before i can even swing anything.

spoilered for gruesomeness :

It wasn't an OptiShot, the cameras and tracking items were mounted in the ceiling and the side walls and in front. Was pretty decent though and it has me wanting to build a golf sim of my own. Now I just need 12,000 dollars.

Edit: Also, that's gross. Hopefully you'll be back swinging soon.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

mattfl posted:

I'm going to the new PGA Superstore they opened in Orlando tomorrow(http://www.pgatoursuperstore.com/index.jsp) with a friend. He works in sales and has a lot of opportunities at his work to golf with people but has never really golfed seriously before. Told him, let's go get you fit and get a decent set of game improvement irons and start coming out with me and I'll help him out. Told him to figure $3-500 for a decent set of irons from the store and we'll find out what sort of driver he needs and find a cheap/used one on eBay. Told him if he wants to get better and actually serious about the game, getting fit is the best thing to do and will save him the hassle of buying a new set in the long run when he outgrows whatever lovely set he was going to spend $200 on at target. I think I'm gonna hit some new drivers and see if I like anything better than my Covert Tour I have now. Anything specific I should hit? Vapor Tour and the new Ping driver are high on my list.

Vapour Tour is pretty beast. However, while I didn't like the R15 so much (I use an R1) the new burner is pretty legit feeling. The D15 was also nice feeling.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

DoctaFun posted:

Good news and bad news dudes.

Good news: I just got offered a new job at a new company that will be a substantial pay increase, better bonus, more vacation and closer to home/my golf course , so I think I can justify getting a golf membership this year!!!

Bad news: That means I'll be posting a bunch of golfshot scorecards and round write-ups that you suckers will have to read/ignore :getin:

I did go to the range last week and was hitting the ball better than I have in like two years, but there was some guy who was hitting next to me that just kept watching me and everytime I hit anything longer than a PW he would say, "Wow you're really hitting it well. I used to be a 10 handicap but something is wrong this year, I just can't seem to make good contact." I was polite and chatted with him a bit, but just let me enjoy this(most likely) fleeting groove that I'm in guy :(.

Well done. I look forward to ignoring your golfshot scorecards and round write-ups.

On another note. Kiawah Island Ocean Course in game for next Tuesday! Get to see if I can beat my astonishingly low scoring round from last year, a whopping 93!

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
I got the shanks! Dear lord help me. Cougar Point kicked my rear end on Tuesday morning. I got roped into playing from what is essentially the "white" tees so the course was playing maybe 6400 yards. Could barely use my driver on most of the holes. Driver was all out of whack too, I hit 6 green side bunkers. My only saving grace was a short par 4 where you can "attempt" to carry water on the left and land on the green approx 300 yard carry. I was already playing horrific so I decided to give it a shot. First ball came up about 3 yards short and rolled back into the water. Second shot made it over, hit a little back stop and rolled back to 6 ft and I made the putt for par. Had 2 eagle putts, missed both. One i salvaged a birdie and the other ended up being a double bogey which was really disheartening. I don't think I scored better than double bogey on the other 15 holes though. Drives were in the rough or fairway bunker every hole, irons were shanking non-stop. Only had 1 hole where I was on in 2 and ended up 3 putting ><

Needless to say, it was a poo poo round of golf.

Here is a picture I took sitting on the deck of the Ocean Course club house on tuesday after the above round (eating lunch) looking back on the 18th fairway contemplating my strategy for Wednesday morning. Ultimately we got rained out and I didn't get to play. Rescheduled for May 24th. Click for Huge.

If you blow it up to full size, in the middle you'll see a little line/row of white above what seems like endless grass. That is where the tee box for the 14th hole is, it's almost a mile away from the 18th green.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Anyone else notice that every year there is a discussion among golf media folk about whether or not The Players should be a major?

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

daslog posted:

So I signed up for a golf league and I'm mystified by how the scoring works. We play on Mondays, and points are awarded as follows. 1 point for a bogey, 2 for a par, 3 for a birdie, 4 for an eagle. Players are also allocated a point total based on Handicap. I'm a bad golfer, so I get 3.5 points, while my partner gets 10.5. Then we play against another twosome and some Maths happen and we either win or lose. The Maths part is a total mystery though.

Stableford is the points system they are using if you're curious about how scoring and the maths work. Essentially out of your group they will use the lowest handicap to calculate the "strokes" each other player receives throughout the course. So your buddy getting 10.5 points is weird, but he basically would get 1 stroke on the 10 hardest holes. So if he's on like #5 and par is 4 and he ends up shooting a double bogey, he gets 1 stroke giving him a NET bogey for the hole which counts as 1 point in their scoring total.

OR they are making it really dumb and just adding the points given to your end NET score and doing away with per-hole handicap scoring.

See - http://www.myscorecard.com/cgi-bin/knowledgecenter.pl?mode=article&category=golf_games&file=stableford&article=Stableford

The menu on the right side also has other golf games to play some of them are weird as poo poo and make you wonder how drunk some people were when they came up with it.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 6, 2015

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

daslog posted:

It's definitely not per hole handicap because we don't turn in regular scorecards.

People make up and change rules to a lot of different scoring systems to best suit their needs. A league I used to play in twice a week classic stableford with no weird changes. The only problem is if you didn't have an established hadicap you'd automatically be listed as a 0 and get hosed, especially if you were around like a 20 normally.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Nerdrock posted:

I'll make a post once I get to try 'em. I might be able to do 9 this weekend somewhere, otherwise I'll have to wait until league on Monday night. Long ago I'd emailed support with some questions (about using my note 4 with s-view cover) and they were prompt and courteous with their responses, assuring me a full money back return if I have troubles or am not satisfied.

Yeah, I'd be interested too even though I feel weird keeping my phone in my pocket when I golf, not that that is a requirement I guess.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Star Man posted:

Hey guys let's go play golf in Silent Hill :v:

That's pretty sweet. Last time I played early morning (7:30am) round down in Kiawah there was an intense fog like that. I remember standing on the first tee and waiting for it to thin out a bit and then almost like the end of that movie a gust of wind came in and the fog almost blew away.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Any of you dudes want any golf clothes for the cost of shipping? I am moving at the end of May and started cleaning out my closets.

So far I've found 3 Nike Dri-Fit shirts (XL) 3 Under Armor (XL) 1 pair of Nike pants (38x32) 1 Pair of Under Armor shorts (38 waist) - Pretty sure I have at least 3 more Nike shirts kicking around somewhere. I don't remember wearing any of this stuff. Mostly because I wear medium golf shirts from Nike and anywhere from 32-34 waist depending on brand name. I haven't been "fat" in years and it was only a short stint of being a lard rear end so these XL and 38 waist items couldn't have lasted more than 1/4 of a season. I'll take some pictures once I finish digging it all out, but I wasn't sure if any of you could wear them or not. It's either this or they go to Good Will/ Trash.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Josh Lyman posted:

I am a fatty so they will probably fit me. Shipping to Atlanta, 30329?

I'll finish clearing out my closet later and get a solid tally on what I have. Though I am in Charlotte, NC so shipping to Atlanta can't be bad, plus i get a crazy FedEx discount anyway through work.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Ok, so two of the under armour shirts were basically trash. One was torn on the back that I didn't see earlier and another was pit stained to death and gross (it's hot here :( )

I haven't gone through any old boxes from before I moved last time, so I might have more, but I am not unpacking it since it's already in a box, so it can wait until June :)

I have

3 Nike XL shirts (one is straight up navy dri-fit, another is a light blue with neato designs on the sleeves and it's that neoprene like dri-fit and the 3rd is a cobalt type greyish blue with neon green on the back across the shoulders that is a tour performance dri-fit) Seems to be an amazing amount of different dri-fit materials they use.

1 Under Armour XL shirt that is a dark red - solid color with black UA logo.

1 pair of Under Armour shorts (38 waist) in light grey (Kameh dibs)

1 pair of Black Nike Dri-Fit Shorts (38 waist)

1 pair Nike Dri-Fit pants 38x30 (I normally where 32 inseam so they should be good for that also) (Mattfl dibs)

1 Pair of Walter Hagen dri-fit shorts 38 waist, grey plaid type look. (basically these http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwMFg3NTA=/z/UwgAAOxyBPZTfR0D/$_12.JPG)

Not sure what Lyman wanted, but, as to not be greedy with free poo poo I've marked dibbed items with names and you guys can decide who gets what. Lyman can dib whatever remaining items he would like I guess.

Shoot me an email at mlinzz at gmail.com with your address and SA username and I'll figure out what shipping is.

On another note.. found out a couple weeks ago that one of my employees husband is a PGA Pro at some course in NC and he gets discounts on whatever. She said he gets free shirts all the time from Adidas and UA that he just sells online, but recently he gave me 6 dozen brand new ProV1's as he is also sponsored by Titleist and apparently has a closet full of boxes. I am playing golf with him in a couple weeks and I will see what type of things he can hook me up with free or cheap. Maybe I'll start my own discount pro v1 sales here ;)

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 13, 2015

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Debrain posted:

Any tips on how to choose from the various PGA Pro's around town for lessons? $40/half hour seems to be average price.

Googling each Pro doesn't turn up any review/videos.

There are rankings for teaching pro's too, but who knows how accurate that is. Someone can be great for one person and poo poo for another. I've never taken a lesson before, but my step father recently got into golfing more regularly and he took some group lessons that were fairly cheap and then out of that determined that the guy doing the group lesson would be a good fit for one-on-one lessons. Believe he ended up buying some package lesson thing from the guy, like 5 lessons, get one free. All I know is he went from shooting 120+ every round he played to actually having a good swing and shooting mid-90's after the lessons. His biggest problem now is consistency and putting, but you can't really teach the former. Guess what I am saying is lessons are good for newbs :)

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

thebushcommander posted:

Ok, so two of the under armour shirts were basically trash. One was torn on the back that I didn't see earlier and another was pit stained to death and gross (it's hot here :( )

I haven't gone through any old boxes from before I moved last time, so I might have more, but I am not unpacking it since it's already in a box, so it can wait until June :)

I have

1 Nike XL shirts (straight up navy dri-fit) Lyman has claimed the other 2 shirts.

1 pair of Under Armour shorts (38 waist) in light grey (Kameh dibs)

1 pair of Black Nike Dri-Fit Shorts (38 waist)

1 pair Nike Dri-Fit pants 38x30 (I normally where 32 inseam so they should be good for that also)

1 Pair of Walter Hagen dri-fit shorts 38 waist, grey plaid type look. (basically these http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwMFg3NTA=/z/UwgAAOxyBPZTfR0D/$_12.JPG)

Not sure what Lyman wanted, but, as to not be greedy with free poo poo I've marked dibbed items with names and you guys can decide who gets what. Lyman can dib whatever remaining items he would like I guess.

Shoot me an email at mlinzz at gmail.com with your address and SA username and I'll figure out what shipping is.

On another note.. found out a couple weeks ago that one of my employees husband is a PGA Pro at some course in NC and he gets discounts on whatever. She said he gets free shirts all the time from Adidas and UA that he just sells online, but recently he gave me 6 dozen brand new ProV1's as he is also sponsored by Titleist and apparently has a closet full of boxes. I am playing golf with him in a couple weeks and I will see what type of things he can hook me up with free or cheap. Maybe I'll start my own discount pro v1 sales here ;)

Nike Pants are back up for grabs. Also haven't gotten email on any other items except for 2 Nike shirts (light blue and cobalt) by Lyman.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Josh Lyman posted:

I would also like to claim the pants if that's not asking for too much. The only golf pants I currently have were on clearance from Target. :smith:

Doesn't matter to me. I sent you a reply email this morning on shipping stuffs

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Still up for grabs

1 Nike XL shirt (straight up navy, dri-fit)

1 pair of Under Armour shorts (38 waist) in light grey

1 pair of Black, Nike Dri-Fit Shorts (38 waist)

1 Pair of Walter Hagen dri-fit shorts 38 waist, grey plaid type look. (basically these http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwMFg3N...ZTfR0D/$_12.JPG)

Email me at mlinzz at gmail.com with your address and SA username and I'll figure out what shipping is if you want something.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Nerdrock posted:

Holy poo poo. My wife gets me random golf related things for christmas that I may or may not have bought on my own, and I just put on the glove she got me. It's a "Bionic" glove which has extra padding inside. This is the first time I've ever felt like my hand was welded to the goddamn grip. I'm in love, especially with the weakness in my hand lately. Seriously, after only 4 holes with it *goddamn thunderstorm*, I'm already sold on these things permanently.

I too discovered the joys of the bionic. It makes it feel like you're using thicker grips on the club also helps keep your hand from moving when you're swinging balls out at 120mph as I sometimes do :D

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Welp, my game is back! Was down in Kiawah for Memorial day and got out to a couple courses while I was there. Redeemed myself from my last outing at Cougar Point. Told my dad I wasn't playing from the old man tees because it forces me to use wedges for second shots too much and constantly adjust my swing speed and power hole to hole and it was throwing me off. So I moved to the back tees which play about 6800 yards was able to use more 8/7 irons on second shots and not have to hit anything at like 75% or whatever. Ended up shooting an 81 which is a far cry from the last round I had there a month ago. Even had an eagle on a par 4, it's one of those holes where if you're smart you would hit a 3 wood up the fairway which goes to the left, but if you got the distance you can aim to the right, directly at the hole over a huge pond and pray it lands on the green. Its about 295 to carry the water, 305 to carry the green side bunkers. I ended up smashing my drive to about 5ft above the hole and had about a 6" left to right break putt for eagle which I drained. I played the back 9 at 2 over. and the front at 7. So it took me a minute to get it together, but it turned out well.

My brother, who is a little better at golf than I am had an eagle hole out on a par 5. He tried to go for the green in 2 from about 240 yards out and mishit his 3 iron and ended up 100 yards from the pin according to the laser. Threw a dart at it with a 60 degree wedge and it hit the flag stick and dropped straight down into the hole, it was awesome, but also weird that it did what it did. If he'd missed the pin it would have been off the back of the green and normally you'd see those hit the pin and spin off to the side or something. He was even par until 16 when he fell apart. On the par 4 I eagled he tried the same thing and ended up putting one in the water and then came up short again in a bunker, when all was said and done he triple bogeyed that hole. Think he shot a 79 all in. My other brother who I thought was about as good as me had a lovely round and ended up shooting a 96 and cried about it for a little while until we bought him a beer. Was a solid morning of golf though. Also played Turtle Point for the first time and shot a 83. If I am honest, Turtle Point is an easier course than Cougar, but having never played it I was making mistakes. my next round there should be much better as long as I can remember the best spots to put the ball from the tee (and of course actually hit them there)

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Glambags posted:

Does anyone have general recommendations on putters? I've been using an old ray cook mallet for the last decade or so, and I've replaced all my clubs with new properly fitted ones over the last couple years, and the putter is the last one in the bag I need to upgrade. I plan on going to get fitted and I think I'll be getting another mallet, but I'm looking for general suggestions as far as brands/specific putters to look for/avoid.

Putters generally aren't going differ much brand to brand at least that I've seen. They all basically make the same type of putters. I still use a 10 year old beat up Odyssey two-ball and it's literally no different than their new ones. With putters it's more about finding the right weight you're comfortable with and the style that fits your eye. I honestly have never heard of or seen anyone get a putter fitting and it kind of sounds like a rip off. I mean, even the golf galaxy down the road from me has 5 styles of putters to practice with, all some nondescript brand name with no markings and various weights. Once you find one you feel you hit well you can choose the same style, weight etc from their brand names to buy.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 26, 2015

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

EnsGDT posted:

Most old guy driver swings need a 14° or more loft to get even close to optimal.

http://wishongolf.com/3-key-specifications-of-driver-fitting/

True, I watched some dude getting a driver fitting who was probably in his 60's and they were giving him 12.5* drivers and his hits were around 16.5* at impact and they were saying that was good.

My driver is at 8.5, but my swing speed is consistent above 115mph on any launch monitor I've been on.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 28, 2015

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Witnessed two, yes two hole in ones this past weekend, on two different courses and two different people. One was a 148y par 3 slightly down hill where the guy who sucked otherwise hit a 6 iron that bounced off a hill at the back of the green and trickled down right into the hole almost in slow motion. The second was a 194y par 3 where the guy hit a 4 iron and it dove right into the hole and took out a 3 inch section of the side of the cup. We actually though it came up short and stuck into the side of the hill because the sun was so blindingly bright, then I noticed the hole looked torn up and went to investigate/fix it and there was the ball.

Sadly neither were me, but I did destroy both of these guys in total score. First guy shot a 114 and I carded an 86, never played the course before. It played 6700 yards and featured a 640 yard Par5 18th, that I tried to reach in 2... Didn't work out well, ended up in a creek I didn't know was there and ended up with a triple, but I figured my drive was insanely long because it kept rolling and I had maybe 300 in so I smashed my 3 wood. Needed about 10 more yards of carry to make it over and still be slightly short though.

Second round was a course I play often and I shot a 83 and the hole-in-one fucker shot 98. In both cases their hole in one instantly made them better golfers than me even though their scores don't reflect it. It was hilarious.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

mattfl posted:

Sounds like this guy should be playing up a few tee boxes if he's hitting a 6 iron from what should be a wedge range, no wonder he shot a 114. He must be hitting driver then 3 wood on all the par 4s.

He was playing from the white tees. For reference I was playing from the tips which was about 180 according to the score card and I hit a 8 iron about pin high. Hole probably played 20 yards shorter because the tee box was elevated. His 6i was past the hole a good 10 yard and smacked a hill and then rolled down off onto the green where it just caught a slope to move it more toward the hole. If the hole had been relatively flat tee to green he would have been way past, but we're talking about a dude who probably won't ever break 100. His longest drive of the day was maybe 220 yard which is a normal 3 iron for me.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Halo14 posted:

I had the most fun with a bad player a couple of weeks back. This guy was a 36 handicapper and we were playing the usual Stableford round. You get a certain amount of shots on each hole to score points - hit it too many times and you simply pick the ball up. He wiped the first 2 holes by just mindlessly spraying the ball around and laughed it off - mildly annoyed but he didn't care.

On the 2nd hole he had given up any chance of scoring points after we'd spent 5 minutes looking for his ball in long grass. I found this TaylorMade Tour Preferred with personalised writing that read F&#K YOU! in capital letters. I had a chuckle to myself and then turned to him and gave him the ball saying "Here I found something for you". He had a good laugh and promised to use it.

He then asked me for a couple of tips. The only one I gave him was to STOP TRYING TO MURDER THE FKING BALL YOU IDIOT.

Well...the next 3 holes he managed to Par which for him was a first. There were high fives and fist bumps all around and apparently this ball was the greatest thing to ever happen to him (not the slower swing speed haha).

Oh yeah I had one of my worst 9 holes of the year followed by my best ever on Sunday. Sometimes golf makes no sense.

Personalized balls are fun IF the place making them lets you use profanity. A couple years back I won some personalized E6's from some website and they wouldn't let me put anything good on it. Even if it was implied like the F&#K they would have said no. Ended up just putting, "If you found this your game needs work" hoping it would be a slight dig at someone if they found it in the woods even though I would have been the one to hit there anyway. One time I lost one trying to drive the green at a links course and it disappeared into some long weeds between fairways. When I made the turn and was getting some beers this old guy comes in with his buddies and was talking about how the ball he found was correct and it was even worse that he lost it on the very next hole. :D

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Soooo close to buying new irons.. I thought I had it narrowed down, but now I am back all over the place.

Rsi TP's or RSi2's I hit them both equally well, but the TP's I might be able to "grow" with a little more

Apex Pro's still hit awesome and feel great, but expecting their replacement to drop in a few months and I have a weird reservation about Callaway clubs.

Mizuno MP-15, 54, 64 all hit awesome etc.

I don't know what to do.. It's basically down to just pulling the trigger on something. I've spent maybe 5 hours total on the sim switching back and forth between all of them with 6/7 irons on each set. Rsi 2 i hit stupid far on the sim with a decent ball flight. We're talking like a 200 yard 6 iron or more. The TP version is more like 190. The Mizu's all come in with a lower ball flight and I had a slight fade with all of them about 10 yards off center, but the distance is more in line with what I am used to like 185-190 6 iron, 175-180 7 iron etc.

They all had different shaft types which is probably the biggest thing in the flight difference. I need to get fit and pull the trigger.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

DJExile posted:

If it's me, a low flight with a fade would bug me with my irons, but that's me. I want irons getting a ball up high and dropping more straight down. I think you could get adjusted to distance on new clubs more easily than to potentially a new flight path.

True, I hit the ball stupid high anyway, so lower wouldn't be the end of the world. The guy watching the monitor was surprised I hit a 6 iron so high and long, but I think he was equally surprised at seeing someone in the store that could hit the ball. I gather most people he watches every day are weekend warriors where 220 yard drive is awesome and not the worst thing ever like it is for me.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

DJExile posted:

Looking at it, I'd say you played a drat good front 9, that's for sure.

Speaking of goofy par 4s, I've been meaning to get back out to some Pete Dye courses around my area. Dude was known for 3 things:

Short par 4s
Teeeeeeeeeeeeny tiny greens
Old wood railroad ties in bunkers

They're very much meant for shotmakers and can be a lot of fun.

Also I'll be damned if I haven't just loved hitting 4W off the deck at every tee box these days. It has to be some mental thing where I'm not thinking about how the tee has to be just the right height, and not to try to kill the ball, etc. I'm just dropping it, taking one practice swing, and hitting the drat thing with my giveashit meter pegged as low as possible and it's amazing how well it works.

I've played numerous Pete Dye courses and I will agree, but I think the biggest consistent feature on all of his courses is weird elevation changes and LOS issues from the tee. Most of the courses I've played you stand on the tee box and can't see the fairway landing area well and what you can see looks very tiny when it might be pretty large. Prime example being Kiawah Ocean Course. Greens are small there too mostly, a lot of turtle shell and horrific elevation changes.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

DoctaFun posted:

Some dude on the European tour carded a 17 on one hole today.

Perhaps more impressive than that is that he still shot 90 for the round.

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/13063603/andrey-pavlov-scores-17-first-hole-lyoness-open

Yikes. Seriously though a Russian pro-golfer? that's new. He's ranked 1,598th on the EUROPEAN Tour alone.. so he's clearly great.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

DoctaFun posted:

I know that makes him sound bad, but I'd love to play a round with someone like him, just to see how good they really are.

I'm guessing playing with the 1,500th ranked player on the PGA tour would have me saying, "holy poo poo, those guys in the top 50 must be gods because this guy is drat good".

Uh probably, but consistency is a nightmare.

For stats on this guy...

For the years 2004 through 2008 he played 1 event per year and missed the cut each time.

2011 - 2 events, 2 missed cuts
2012 - 2 events, 2 missed cuts
2013 - 2 events, 2 missed cuts
2014 - 3 events, 3 missed cuts.

Based on this I am going to guess he's a teaching pro that is being invited to events to fill spots.
Edit: Also his WG Rank @ 1598 means he is tied for the worst. There are dudes that haven't played in 4 years with better world rankings.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 12, 2015

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Ribsauce posted:

How much does hitting off mats vs grass at the range change things? I went today and hit probably 80 balls with my wedges and irons (up to 6) and only like 3 didn't go in the air. Now, they didn't all go straight in front of me but the ones that did not were consistent in their bad aim (to the left). Most flew straight and about 15 yards to the left of where I was aiming.

I would like to think it was my hard work and grip changes, but I am afraid the mat might have made them go up and compensated for slight mishits. Would a mat do this?

It depends on your level of skill and what you're working on. Hitting from a mat isn't going to drastically improve your ball striking. The mat is trying to simulate perfect fairway conditions. The issue is they are a little bit springy so some slight mis-hits can be more forgiving. The reason hitting from grass is almost always a better idea is because it lets you get a feel for what course conditions would be like. From the grass, shots even 1 inch apart can feel different depending on the stiffness of the ground, thickness of the grass in that spot etc. Variables never change on the mats.

For the average weekend warrior, 20+ Handicap it's not going to make a difference because the problem isn't the surface you're hitting from, it's generally your swing. While I always recommend hitting from the grass to anyone since it's more like a course situation it's not going to really be a must until you're more worried about all of the other variables in hitting the ball. I mean you could be on a flat fairway, but your ball is in a shallow spot where it's 1" below your feet and you might blade it if you don't adjust properly or don't hit down on the ball well etc. Golf is stupid.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Don't suppose anyone here has ever played Oak Island Golf Club down in Oak Island, NC? Going there for a week at the beginning of August and the course is only 1/2 mile from the beach house I am staying at so I fully intend to play at least once even though I am going to be playing with weekend hackers that are good for 120+ rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

BonoMan posted:

Why do you hate us?

:( I don't, I just like playing with people as good or better than my as I tend to play better golf. Purely because I make better decisions trying to beat the other person. When I play with 20+ handicaps I drink more beer and make poor decisions.