Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Story time.

This afternoon, I was playing a round with a buddy and a few randoms. I play off scratch and normally spot my buddy 8 strokes, but we didn't really discuss any wagers or a game to play - this worked out well because he played much better than he normally does. This round became about bragging rights for gross (not net) play.

We tied at +1 through 9, and he kept it steady with more pars until he finally made a bogey on 15. I birdied 10, bogeyed 12 and 13, and then doubled 15 to be 2 down with 3 to play. Not great from me, but it wasn't over.

My buddy has only beaten me once before (without receiving handicap strokes) out of literally hundreds and hundreds of rounds together, so this was a big moment for him.

Buddy hits his tee shot on 16 into a forest, drops, makes bogey. I make a comfy par. 1 down with 2 to play.

On 17, I flushed my tee shot on a tight driving hole but pushed it a little right towards some trees. My buddy overcorrects after seeing me go right and double crosses, finding the left rough. One of the randoms with us nuked his ball way right into the forest.

We get to my buddy's ball first, and he said, "Well, since you're in the trees, I'm gonna lay up [short of the creek in front of the green] and play for bogey at worst." I say, "I...don't know that I'm in the trees," and it's true because the hole is a gentle dogleg right, and my ball disappeared around a tree on its descent. This is in addition to the ever-present chance that my ball just bounces off a random limb and back into play.

From my buddy's position, I glance over to see one of the randoms poking around in the brush. He seems to have given up on looking for his ball, so I see him chip a ball back into play. I walk over to where I think my ball would be, and after a minute of looking, the random asks me what ball I'm playing. I tell him, "Titleist with green lines," and I notice there are 4 balls in the fairway with 3 players (me excluded) standing near them. He confirms the number on my ball, and I fist pump because drat what a bounce I got!

He picks my ball up and throws it back to me.

I ask him wtf he's doing, and he said, "Oh, I picked it up by mistake." Now, we're not playing an official tournament (and I sure as hell don't think this would happen in a tournament, nor how you would resolve the situation if it did), but I maintain my composure best I can and just ask him where my ball was. He gives me the "hotter/colder" treatment until I get about a foot from the undergrowth, and he says, "Right there, yep, right there."

I replace my ball, see a ridiculously risky window, and pull off a miracle shot. "Holy shits" and "oh my god wow" from the randoms, and even a begruding "I hate you" from my buddy. If you know the shot Phil hit at the Players where he didn't tell his caddy what he planned on doing beforehand, it was like that. I'm on the green.

Then my buddy says, "Well that's a par putt for you because you should have dropped just now to hit your 3rd." I disagree because the guy picked my ball up and told me where to place it, so I did and continued on. Buddy is confident that my ball went in, and that I was not replacing my ball - I was dropping for my 3rd. Then again, he's nervous as poo poo about choking this lead he's got, so I stay on him.

Being best friends for 20 years, we're chirpin back and forth at each other as we approach the green. My buddy missed the green with his 3rd, chipped to a few feet to secure a bogey, and I drat near make a 40 footer for my "birdie," and tap in for a par.

As soon as I replace the flag, the random says, "Well, that was a hell of a shot, but I don't know why you dropped there. Your ball was maybe 2 feet in to the trees, not where you hit from." At this point, I'm incredulous. I remind him that I placed the ball exactly where he told me to, at no point did he say that my ball was unplayable, and if he had, I would have dropped in a WAY more convenient spot that didn't require a ridiculously risky line.

They drop the word "integrity" on me, so I take a bogey and let them both know I wasn't happy about it. I hammer a drive 70 yards past my buddy on 18, he 3 putts for a bogey to give away his 1 shot lead and fall back into a tie with me at the end.

What would be the ruling here, goons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
A few golf-related items showed up on my slickdeals feed this morning.

Srixon 23* utility iron for $100

https://slickdeals.net/f/16696538-s...rspersed%3ATrue

Cobra King Tour MIM Irons 4-PW for $500. Somebody in the comments said the bronze/copper set will be $650

https://slickdeals.net/f/16696664-c...54513761ffc9da6

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Vice does this "paint drip" design on some of their golf balls, and I found like 5 boxes of the Vice Pros with a black/gold paint drip in a Walmart clearance aisle for $12/box.

I bought 2 boxes, and it's a drat good ball. I went back the next day to look for more, but somebody smarter than me had scooped the rest.

Would I pay $30 for the paint drip design? No, but I'd pay $12 and deal with it.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Played a random in a skins game today.

11 FIR.
14 GIR.
40 putts. 4 3-putts.

Won 6 of my first 8 holes, then 3-putted a hole worth 6 skins. I had to win 2 carry over skins in a playoff with the longest made putt of my day - 6 feet - just to break even on skins.

Hit the ball like Tiger Woods, putt like Ray Charles. Literally half of my shots were putts.

The putter is in time-out.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
This is a simplistic take, but I truly believe that somebody with money like Yasir is so far beyond requesting things. He's actually used to speaking his wishes into existence via purchase power, and nobody calls him on it because he surrounds himself with yes men and executes the rest.

Ask yourself what type of person would throw in a highly-coveted ANGC membership as a stipulation for buying into a sports league? Especially when AGNC does not answer to anybody. You think anybody pointed that out to Yasir? I doubt it.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
I'm playing Torrey Pines next week (North on Sunday, South on Tuesday.

Long shot here, but does anybody have local (inside of an hour) course recommendations for a round Monday? I'm staying in Irvine. Bonus if anybody knows of a lighted par 3 course. They're pitifully absent in Texas.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Omne posted:

Love Maderas (literally wearing a t-shirt from there right now), it's my dad's home course. My scores are ugly but it's always a good time

Is it public?

Edit: $279 on the weekend, lmfao. I think I'm paying less for one of the Torrey rounds. I'll probably pass.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
I was playing in a net tournament this afternoon, and I spotted a buddy 10 shots. We get to the 17th, a replica of ANGC par 3 16th, all square. I hit a hard hook that ran along the far bank but fell in the water. Horrible shot. He found the green, 30 feet away.

I drop where it went in, hit the pin on my pitch over the bunker, and my ball winds up a few feet outside my buddy's line, 35 feet away. My bogey putt bounces off the stick again but doesn't fall. [ed. I always pull the pin, but was frustrated and wasn't thinking.]

Buddy lags his birdie putt to outside of 3 ft, and from my angle (90 degrees away) it looked like his par putt was going to miss low. However, one of the other guys in the group swatted it back at him before the putt approached the cup as if it were a foregone conclusion that he made it, or that it didn't matter. The fourth guy in the group, standing in buddy's line, laughed and said it definitely had no chance of going in, but the putter said he thought it was good and was taking the concession.

So now I'm 2 down with one to play. The guy who swatted the putt away said he thought I was winning in a blowout and that it didn't matter. We both hit decent drives on the par 5 finisher. I got an iron to just off the front of the green, he lays up and then chunks his eagle pitch, then bangs his birdie chip off the pin, settling next to the hole for a par.

So now I've got to hole my chip for eagle to force a playoff, which I was unable to do. The birdie putt didn't matter, and I didn't make it either. In the parking lot, he said (as I handed the trophy over), that he'd "take a +3 instead of a +2" [net]. I told him it didn't matter.

If I'm 1 down with 1 to play, I think up and down for birdie is good enough to force a playoff instead of trying to hole a chip. I probably would have caused a scene if I only lost by 1.

I don't know how that situation should have been resolved. If he got another shot at the putt, it's probably going in. If the putt wasn't swatted back at him, it takes a ridge and finishes farther away than he started.

I'm dealing with some real sour grapes right now.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

This is so good. LIV bots are out in full force after his reply.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

GEMorris posted:

Fwiw PXG is currently running a special on fittings, I'm paying $37.50 to get two hours of a professional's time and a bunch of data. Even if they tell me I'm too inconsistent to even be fit (they never say this) I'll get more data for barely more than renting a booth at golf galaxy.

Real talk - Do they give you numbers and recommended club specs (+ 1/2" length, toe up/down, etc.), or are they PXG-specific recommendations, like "Gen 05 irons?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
-1 though 9.
-2 through 10.
-4 through 11.

"No bogeys yet," I say to my cart partner.

-3 through 12.
-2 through 15.
-1 through 17.
E through 18.

:q: