Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Farking Bastage posted:

I live on I-10 in the Florida Panhandle. I feel ya. Talk about a boring drive.

You played Sawgrass a while back, right? How much was it, and which courses did you get to play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
See, I played Sawgrass in the low season like 7 years ago, and it was $299. I want to say that they were offering a night at the Marriott and a round at both courses for $500, but I can't find evidence of that anywhere. Maybe they did but no longer do; I see 3 nights and 1 round at each course for $307/person/night.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
You don't need both a 56 and a 60, especially if both are your first lofted wedges. Maybe use a 56 or a 58 and then put in a 5 wood or a hybrid in your bag.

Edit - I'm mainly discouraging both a 56 and a 60 because you might not hit them far enough apart to need both. I'd take your W to a simulator and test out a 52, 56, and 60 alongside your W to see which club(s) eliminate(s) gaps in your yardage.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 4, 2017

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
So the guys had to cut my driver shaft an inch and a half from the tip to fix it. It's now 43 inches, and he said it's playing between extra stiff and double x. Bringing my backup driver along to see how much it changed. Practice swings feel very much like I'm swinging a steel pole.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
I got an x-stiff shaft for my (backup) Nike Vapor Fly. I took the Fly and the 1.5" tipped Cobra to the course yesterday. The Cobra now has a lower ball flight, but I think it still carries roughly the same. The wind conditions were different, so I was in different spots than I normally am, but some were better, some were not as great. And aside from the ball flight being lower, there's not quite as much side spin as before, so that's cool. I did hit a couple of snap hooks, but those were my fault. I hit the Fly and Cobra side by side on a few holes, but while the Fly carried farther, there was very little roll out. Maybe it'll be a "wet conditions" driver?

Bogey free felt really good, but this round could have been something really special.
  • Had 227 in to the par 5 second, and I thinned a hybrid short-right of the green, then bladed my 3rd across the green. Made a 3 footer for par.

• Hit a neat 3/4 wedge from 77 yards on 4 and rolled in a 12 footer for birdie.

• Got up and down from 30 yards on 5.

• Hooked my drive near a cul-de-sac on 6, but I was far enough left that I had an opening to the green.

• Got up and down from a waste bunker on 7.

• Hit not one, but TWO fences on 8 lol. Snap hooked a drive, and it bounced off a fence but ricocheted into the rough. Decided to play aggressive and hit a hybrid, and I topped it into the next section of fence. It bounced to the 150 pole. I thinned a 9 through the green, got up and down for par.

• Two putted from a mile away on 11.

• I misread putts inside 10 feet on holes 12, 13, 14, and 15. I hit every putt where I wanted, and they all caught a piece of the hole, but none fell. 14 was frustrating because I had maybe 8 feet for eagle. 15 was a simple chip onto the green after a decent 3w near the front.

• I misclubbed and went long into 17, but I two putted from 60 feet. Felt good.

• Tried to be aggressive with my birdie chance on 18 (to get into the 60s), but I ran a 20 foot birdie putt 6 feet by. Drained it before I let myself get nervous over it.
Feels good man.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Jesus Christ. That sounds like my personal Hell. Easily a 7 hour round.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Bilirubin posted:

Went into the used shop today and came out with a 56* Ping Tour Gorge SS in red dot. It is nearly impossible to mishit this thing. Beautiful loft, and stops on a dime. Straight as an arrow too.

Is this what modern irons are like? Because wow.

Ah, the honeymoon period...enjoy it!

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
First 4 holes: bogey, par, double bogey, double bogey.

Last 14 holes: bogey free -3.

Didn't lose a ball, but I forgot how to hit a driver and escape from trees.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

daslog posted:

Whoever suggested The Grint as a golf app knew what they were talking about. It's now my favorite.

I've used Golfshot for years, and I've been trying out swing x swing for tracking side bets, but what does Grint do better than Golfshot?

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Well there are definitely two sides to the issue.

The fescue, if you can even find your ball, is unplayable. If you're taking a drop every time you go into the fescue, you might as well play it on a course surrounded by water instead.

The other side, logically, is to simply don't hit it there. These fairways are perhaps the widest in US Open history, plus there are 5 or so yards of traditional rough before you get to this nonsense.

So, if the players treat it like a water hazard, then maybe the complaints will go down.

Edit: I don't care for Kevin Na, but I was with him until he lost his composure at the end and made some weird plea to let past champions come up with a setup. I'm pretty sure the last agreeable setup was the most recent playing at Pinehurst, and Martin Kaymer went wire-to-wire. It wasn't even close.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Summit posted:

True but you can also redo the shot entirely. I was merely pointing out the stupidity of the video where a pro golfer hacks into super tall grass. You'd be a fool to ignore the much easier option of an unplayable.

You're talking about the guy who took a 16 on a par 4.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
So I've been playing some pretty steady golf. I was -1 through my last 4 rounds across different courses, and then I shot +1 at a local course, but still, not too bad.

This afternoon I played a track I normally score well on, and I just couldn't get away with anything. I shot a +7 on the front 9, carding 2 triples along the way.

A playing partner remarked that the first triple was perhaps the worst hole he'd ever seen me play. Looking back at my rounds in GolfShot, the last time I carded worse than a double bogey was when I took a quad bogey going for broke on a par 5 finishing hole back in January of 2015.

2.5 years.

Now sure, I probably had some practice rounds where I pumped a few balls OB trying out different things, but I don't keep score on those.

I started to turn it around on the back 9, hitting driver - 7i into a par 5 and rattling the flagstick, but we were forced to leave the course because they were starting a 4 man scramble at 5 pm. We were told to either take an 18 hole rain check or play the front 9 again, and since we were on the 14th tee when they asked us to decide, we took the rain check and left. I'm privately thankful because that round won't count, but I would have been very happy to break 80.

Golf giveth, and golf taketh.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

daslog posted:

I got this for Father's day

My alligator headcover is my most cherished golf possession, and it wasn't even given to me as a father. Enjoy it.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
What's a ~14 stimp green like? I putted on a practice green at the shell Houston open a few years ago, and I think they were running at 12. The putts were all inside 10 feet, but it wasn't insanely fast. I made 3 of the 4 putts.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Get a hardshell case, and if you've got an adjustable clubs, remove the heads from the shafts.

Depending on your airline and checked baggage fees, you may want to look into shipsticks or UPS to ship them.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
8 straight years of rejection here.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Bilirubin posted:

Going for 9 tonight and decided to get some new balls since all of mine are pretty vintage at this point. After stopping the hyperventilation at the huge selection and price ranges, I calmed meself, thought about the Srixon 3 layers, decided they sounded too soft, and opted for the slightly more expensive TaylorMade TP5s as they were similar specs to the Titleist but cheaper.

You may now commence to telling me how terrible a decision I made.

If you've got the swing speed to utilize them, the TP5 is widely considered one of the best golf balls ever made.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Bilirubin posted:

Oh. Wow. OK, we'll see if I can play to them.

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah, as a complete Titleist whore, the TP5X is the one ball I have zero qualms about switching to from a Pro V1x.

People like to poo poo all over TM because they (used to) put out a new driver every two weeks, but they've made solid golf balls for years. The TP Red and Black? Penta? Lethal? Now the TP5/X? Solid choices.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

ironlung posted:

Walked 18 in 3hrs 10min tonight the way god intended and shot my best score of the SUMMAHH

I read this in Bill Burr's voice. Congrats.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Lincoln posted:

How straight should my arms be when putting? They're quite bent right now, but my fingertips are right at the end of the grip. I'm getting it re-gripped soon anyway, so getting it shortened will be an option. Maybe I'm too bent over or something, I don't know. And are big fat square grips a good option regardless of putter type? It's a Rossa Spyder that MAH WIFE bought me when I started playing a couple years ago.

One idea is, in putting, you want to have as few hinging parts as possible. Quiet wrists and rocking your shoulders will lead to the most consistency with distance control and starting on your intended line. (accuracy). Putting with a longer putter and having to buckle your elbows and cup your wrists (especially if you bend over a lot) will introduce a whole bunch of variables that have to work in concert to let you out your best. So, putting with a shorter putter means you have a straighter arms and flatter wrists.

Many Putters come off the shelf at 35 in, but I personally prefer a shorter putter. My blade Scotty Cameron is 32", as is my current mallet Taylormade Spider Ghost.

Regarding large grips, those are supposed to help keep your wrists quiet in the stroke, too. Personal preference though.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Matt Zerella posted:

Just changed the spikes in my shoes. I really need to remember to use the foot brush on the course more. So gross.

I've played only two courses that have an air gun to clean off your shoes - one here in Houston that's known for walkers, and a course in Scotland. It's brilliant and so much faster than using a gross shoe brush. I don't know why more courses don't have them.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
I played 36 today, one from the regular tees and once from the tips. Shot a pair of 71s, but I couldn't make a putt. The 2nd round yielded a single birdie: a chip in. My issue was the line. I started just about every birdie putt on the intended line with good speed, but they were the wrong lines. Half the time it was too much break, and the other times the line was completely wrong, like I'd play for left break and it broke right. Most putts didn't scare the hole. Frustrating.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Heat index here is pretty close to that. 104 heat index right now, and it's cooled off since we stepped off 18th green 90 minutes ago.

If I putt well on punched/sanded greens, does that make me a good putter or a trash putter? Closing birdie on 18 to shoot even par sure feels good, fam. 13 GIR, 31 putts. 3 bogeys (one of which was a 3 putt) and 3 birdies. Driver continues to be unforgiving, but I missed in okay spots today.

The pins were in some BS positions, though. If there was a ridge, the pin was on it. Single mound in the green? Even better. All considered, even my 2 putts were pretty good. Supe must have had to sleep on the couch last night.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

I mean, they both have 1 major so obviously

🎶🎵for nooooooow, for nooooooow, but only for now!🎵🎶

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Low compression is good for people who can't normally compress the ball, or for people who struggle to compress the ball in colder weather (it's colder outside, people are stiffer, bundled up, etc.). They're popular with lower speed players and seniors year round.

A playing partner Friday was talking about switching from pro v1's to 50/Elites, but he has no business playing a pro v1 in the first place, and he seemed satisfied with the way the 50/Elites reacted around the greens.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Suprfli6 posted:

double eagle

Uphill 185 8i. 😳😳😳

Congratulations man. That's awesome!

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Shafts will dictate a LOT about ball flight, like trajectory and how much they spin.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Well I saw those Wilson 50/Elite balls for like $13/dozen, so I gave them a shot.

First impressions were that they are a LOW flight ball, and though they weren't 4-piece urethane level spinny, they reacted well enough on saucy chips that I could play them on a windy day.

However, a friend convinced me to do this push-ups workout with him the day before, so I was super sore and tight, my miss was a thin, and I had to make a conscious effort to hit down on it to get the ball up, so maybe I'm just bad.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
http://golfdealsandsteals.com/titleist-ultra-light-weight-golf-stand-bag/

Josh Lyman

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Off topic here, but the British Open trophy icons next to the players on the leaderboard in the PGA tour app are for players currently exempt going into the John Deere, or is it for players who would be exempt if the tournament were to end as is?

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

mattfl posted:

Everyone get ready for the single length club revolution. Bryson finally got his first PGA win! Pretty decent Sunday today.

All I could think about. Dude shot a back 9 30 to win by 1, which is legit, but PR bogeyed the par 5 17th without losing a ball.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

I hate Bryson DeChambeau so much. Catching fire and shooting 30 on the final 9 to win is a fluke, especially since he's only 104th in strokes gained approaching the green even after today's win.

Hottest player going into the Open and your pick to finish the best of non-previous-major winners. T/F

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

Christina Kim doesn't dress "sexy" though so of course she doesn't care.

To be fair, Kim isn't one of the "could be a model" players with a nice body that they're targeting.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

718 T-MB so baller

I have never, ever seen a full set of T-MBs, only the 3 iron. I don't think even pros play a full set. Am I wrong? What gives?

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Hit one driver all day? Who are you, 2006 Tiger Woods at Hoylake?

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Wheels fell off today. Played my 3rd round in 3 days, 4th in 5 days. I guess I'm not as young as I used to be. Swing fell apart, and it got "shank" ugly. 39-46 at a tougher course but one I love and have excelled at, and that's with a fair number of mulligans too.

I even stretched for an hour before this round to alleviate any lower back soreness. Didn't feel it during the round, but I know I'll be feeling it tomorrow. Guys help. 😢

Edit: I also putted like a dummy, but the greens were very fast and very pure, so most of my missed were power lipouts, and I can take care of that.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Got a new shaft (Project HZRDUS Red) for my F6+, and I told the guy at Dick's Sporting Goods (I know, I know) to set it at a certain loft and graphics down on the shaft. Picked up one of the new Golf Pride Multi Compound Align grips with a ridge that runs along the bottom in in your fingers. Felt neat.

Was going to leave the entire club there, but the guy asked me why I even had to leave the driver head with him. Figuring he knew what he was doing, I just left the shaft. Picked it up later that day, and they warned me not to even put it together until 24 hours later so the epoxy had time to cure. When I finally put it together, turns out he installed everything upside down because he didn't check how it fit into the driver head. So, graphics up, and the weird grip ridge is on top of the grip instead of in my hand as it should be.

We'll see how it feels in 2 hours on the course, I guess. :confused:

Kameh fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 30, 2017

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

Hey, let's talk about this week's Women's British Open :v:

Or how there's no way I'm driving 4 hours to the PGA Championship next week.

Lyman, do you follow the Korean LPGA?

The Explore algorithm of my Instagram seems to think I'm super interested in following KLPGA pros. They look more like models than your traditional professional golfers, though they all have super money swings. I just have never heard of this tour or the ladies on it.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
I had a 5h once. I hit it so high, it felt like a 180 yard wedge.

Then I realized it made me feel like an old man, so I took it out of the bag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

Michelle Wie leading the Women's British Open with an opening round of -8 lolwut

Laura Davies T8 at - 4. Now that's a bag I'd stick my club in.