Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Stroud is tied for the lead in the opposite field, Stableford-scored Barracuda Championship. He's from my hometown, so I hope to see him pull through with a W.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

mattfl posted:

Ya, we would've never taken that time. Luckily I was able to find us a time at a very good course nearer to us for 7:40. But it's a course we play a lot and none of us had played the Ritz before.

This has kinda happened to me before. GolfNow advertises times that are sometimes not available at the course, but GN never calls to verify, and the course rarely checks ahead of time. MOST of the time, the course just grumbles about it to me (as if I'm the problem) and lets me go off as close to that time as possible. The one time that the course stood firm, I showed them I had pre-paid, and they issued me a full rain check, and then I called GolfNow to bitch about it and they comped me a hot deal round for the price.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

DJExile posted:

holy poo poo

what is he hitting there? some long iron?

Sure looks like a 341 yard iron laser off the tee.

And then he stuck his approach to less than 2 feet.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 21, 2017

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

DJExile posted:

Yeah that's amazing. I'd love to see driving irons come back into vogue

I can't see myself using one. Obviously Ollie is hitting a saucy stinger here (there's also a stinger driver video of his somewhere), but I ain't got the strength to hit a driving iron and have it carry an appropriate distance. I need that carry.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Daric posted:

I got to hang out with my buddy this weekend who caddies on the Tour after they played 9 weeks in a row and he had all kinds of insight as to what drug Spieth is using to grow his hair back, how cool Pat Perez is, and why he thinks Phil is undeserving of a President's Cup captain's pick spot.

But we went bowling and he bowled a 223 so I'm just gonna stick to golf with him from now on.

I'm sorry this is being ignored. Tell me more. :f5::munch:

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Homestar Runner posted:

extra wedge all day imo

What do you need a driving iron for, Josh Lyman? Pretty sure I could quote you in this thread saying "just lol if you don't hit driver on every 4 and 5." :cheeky:

Going with 4 wedges helped me a lot. I don't hit my 54 as often as my 50 and my 58, but when it is the yardage, it is so clutch.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

Realistically, I'd get a 3 iron for 215-220 yds, but a 4th wedge would probably be more useful. It's just that I went 49/54/60 for the longest time, then 48/54/60, and now with these new irons, it'll be 47/54/60. So I guess it's time to go 52/56/60.

I just looked up the setups of the top 10 players in proximity to the hole from 50-125 yards and they all use 4 wedge setups. But Dustin Johnson and Webb Simpson at T12 and Adam Scott at T15 are 3 wedge guys. DJ is especially weird since he goes 47/52/60. But they're clearly the exception, not the rule.

I go PW (46*), 50*, 54*, and 58*. I have my yardages covered for the most part (there's maybe 5 yards between my PW and GW, but everything else is solid).

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
There are numerous "Fix your slice" videos on YouTube if you're a visual learner, but here's a text explanation for what you might be doing vs. what you might try to do.

An over the top swing for a right hander means the driver head is approaching the ball from behind the ball and away from your body to closer to your body after it passes the ball. Closer to your left toes than it was when it was in front of your right toes.

Maybe some GolfWRX autists will come correct me, but the general idea is that the ball will initially start on the trajectory the clubhead is travelling but spin towards the direction the clubhead is facing at the moment of impact.

For a person with an outside-to-in swing who slices, that means the clubhead is moving to the left, so the ball starts left. And the only way to keep the ball in play is to hit the ball with an open club face (one that is pointing right). This way, the ball starts off left but spins back to the right, a high, weak shot without much oomph to it.

An outside-to-in swing forces the trail (right) arm away from your body. If you watch videos of people (maybe even yourself) with an over the top swing, you might see a gap between their body and their right arm as the elbow drops down towards their waist on the downswing. To counter this, keeping the right elbow "tucked" on the downswing forces the club to drop down and the clubhead to come from the "inside," which means it approaches the ball closer to your right toes and then passes the ball farther from your left toes.

Again, generally speaking, the only way to keep the ball in play with an inside-to-out swing is to have a closed clubface (one pointing left) so the ball will spin back into play, much like how you'd play ping pong.

You could get more technical and talk about the amount of ball movement hinging on the degrees open or closed the face is relative the clubhead, but that's more than you need to think about.

TL;DR - Solving a slice can be done by dropping your right elbow towards your right hip pocket on your downswing and sending the club on an inside-to-out path.

Edit: no good with words.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 15, 2017

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Played for the first time in a month (thanks work + Harvey). Was well on my way to not breaking 80, then I birdied 16, almost putted in from the fringe for birdie on 17, then chipped in for birdie on 18 to shoot 78.

I will not discuss the other 15 holes.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

mattfl posted:

Sergio just took like 25 minutes to get a free drop out of the water hazard.

Making par on the last very likely moved him safely inside the top 30 and on to next week's Tour Championship. Good for him.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Josh Lyman, we getting a Presidents Cup thread?

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

Just lol if you watch this year's President's Cup. It's gonna be a drubbing, could even be 20-10.

No need for condescension, plus USA only has a 2 pt lead right now.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Jesus, imagine the trash talk Hoffman and Chappell are gonna hear in the team room for choking AND forcing someone to give a poo poo and play tomorrow.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

mattfl posted:

This, this is amazing

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1yNGamZEazEGj

Press conf after Pres Cup.

DJ is looooooong gone stoned and/or drunk lol

LOL DJ roasting Spieth while wasted.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Dr. Capco posted:

Just lol if you don't have silly animal headcovers on all your woods/hybrids. You can pry my shark, parrot, and frog covers from my cold dead hands.

I don't have any special covers on my hybrid or three wood, but my alligator driver cover is ride or die. If I lose her, I'm going to cry like I've lost a childhood pet.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Tiger hits a draw 3w into 9 green from 282 and I jizz...in...my pants.

Edit: Tiger Woods chunks an easy chip, and the jizz goes back inside my body..

Kameh fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 30, 2017

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Halo14 posted:

Tiger lookin pretty solid fellas. Just needs to take advantage of them par 5s.

That's the biggest take away. Other than his flubbed chip(s), he hit pretty good drives (there's always gonna be one screwy drive with Tiger) and excellent irons. He shot -3 and played the par 5s even.

Without a flubbed chip on 9, he would have birdied it. If he didn't lose his drive in the bush, it's par at worst.

Not too shabby.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

DJExile posted:

Sergio is apparently rolling Calaway now if their marketing email I just got is to be believed.

Kameh, update your clubs accordingly.

This is rough on me, as the last Callaway driver I ever hit was a Callaway FT-Q (one of the first square ones). The last Callaway driver I owned was a steelhead Big Bertha.

I know DJ and Rory are on a different level, but they really have me looking at the M3 and M4 drivers. They're supposed to be REALLY good.

Then again, the M2 was supposed to be good, but I'm satisfied rocking my Cobra F6+. Whoever said it's all about shafts now is correct.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 8, 2018

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Edit: Wow double post.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

DoctaFun posted:

Pretty funny story on ESPN today.

Bellevue University just recruited a 61 year old to their golf team. The guy seems awesome, especially his last quote in the article.

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/22005266/espn-golf-nebraska-college-recruits-61-year-old-golf-team

Lord have mercy, my wife would DIE if I had said that lol.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Sergio won in Singapore.
Mcilroy finished T3 in Abu Dhabi.
Andrew Landry (hometown boy) took Jon Rahm to 5 holes in a playoff on the PGA Tour.

This weekend could have been pretty special if all 3 had pulled it out.

This week is REALLY something to watch. Sergio's defending in Dubai, Mcilroy coming off that great finish after so many months off, and Tiger's playing Torrey Pines.

Great stuff.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Halo14 posted:

So...are you converted to Callaway now? :)

I'm Cobra for woods and irons, Cleveland wedges, and I oscillate between a Scotty Newport and a TM Ghost Spider. If I switched to Callaway, it would be for the wedges. I like the Phil-inspired high toes with extra grooves.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Halo14 posted:

Which Cobra driver do you use? Looking to change from my Titleist 915D3. Don't like 460cc heads tho - prefer the 440 if possible.

I have the Cobra F6+. It's a great head, but it's 460. One of the last Nike drivers made, the Vapor Flex 440, might be something you could look into.

It's strange to me to see someone want to switch from Titleist. The 915 is a really, really solid driver. I looked into it for a bit before sticking with Cobra. Everyone that I know that plays Titleist sticks either has the matching driver or the TM M1/M2. Brand loyalty and all.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

lighter fluid

I use paint thinner. Don't know if it's cheaper than lighter fluid, but it works great.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

Decent interview with Tiger about his club testing process, his equipment through the years, and thoughts on equipment limits: https://www.pgatour.com/long-form/2018/01/23/tiger-woods-equipment-taylormade-testing-q-and-a.html

I meant to post this a few days ago. This was such a fascinating reading.

I spoke to a friend about his conversation with Rory. It seems like a no brainer that "swing harder = ball goes farther," but these guys are optimized to a specific swing speed based on trackman numbers, and unless they change their launch angles, higher swing speed is going to impart more spin, which will rob them of distance.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Shrapnig posted:

Still lipping too from what I saw on 18.

Tiger's been known to spit saliva, but he always claimed it was because of allergies. I've never heard of his tobacco usage.

I get why people or other pros would do it on the course, but I don't think Tiger does it. Proof?

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Shrapnig posted:

Snus would be closer, yes. There are several oral tobacco variants. You have the loose, finely shredded stuff that you stick in your lower lip which is what I was referring to when I mentioned Skoal. The loose shredded stuff that's longer, like Red Man, actual chewing tobacco that I can't imagine many people actually using anymore(remember The Sandlot where the kids get a bag of chaw and then ride the rides at the carnival, puking everywhere?) . They also market snus or the equivalent which is the loose, finely shredded stuff but it's in a little pouch so you don't get flecks of black poo poo in your teeth.

Regardless, it's pretty well documented that Tiger, DJ, Dufner, and a lot of others use smokeless tobacco when they're playing.

Dufner AND DJ both openly spit brown poo poo on the course. Duff daddy rocks the brown line down the middle of his lip.

I've never heard Tiger's name in the mixture. I'm finding articles that he secretly (formerly?) smokes, but aside from a shaky YouTube video where he slides what MIGHT be a skoal can into his bag, I don't see proof.

BS.

Edit: yeah, that's the video. Could be man. As much as he's grown the tour, he's entitled to do whatever the heck he wants on the course, as far as I'm concerned.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

spamman posted:

Tiger hit three fairways and nine greens and still went -2 today. The putting is still ridiculous.

His putting was fantastic today, even with the missed 6 footer on the last.

What's keeping him in this, and truly what kept him inside the cut, is his short game. Not a case to be made of the yips.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

BCRock posted:

Embrace the pain and keep playing until you can win an US Open with a broken leg. Doctors are for quitters.

Solid advice here.

But seriously, get to a doctor sooner rather than later. It's been a few months since I've swung a golf club, and before my break began, my lower back was hurting, even more so after golf. Figured a few months off would help, but it hasn't really helped at all. Got a doctor's appointment this week. Don't like having to worry about the stuff.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Lincoln posted:

Two unrelated questions:

When putting, is weight supposed to be distributed evenly, or a bit more on the left foot? I see both recommended.

When chipping, can I choke down too far on the club to bring myself closer to the ball? I mean, obviously yes, but at what point is the heel of the club too far off the ground to be accurate?

Yes, you can choke down to the steel if needed. I don't know if you're allowed to grip the steel itself, but somebody else probably knows.

For chipping, especially off of tight lies, it's beneficial to have the club very upright, like putting. You're not trying to scoop the ball, since the club is lofted enough to do that on its own. Lift the heel just off the ground, use a long putting motion with still wrists, and you should be successful.

Edit: I say keep the heel elevated (and toe down) because it brings a little less of the club in contact with the ground. Depending on the sole and grind, it reduce your chances of chunking, although I know that wider soles will help the club "skip" off the turf easier than thinner soles.

It's all feel.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 13, 2018

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Lyman, what did you mean about Creamer's caddy?

Josh Lyman posted:

But the main reason for my post is that she won with Paula Creamer's old caddy. Mrs. Heath indeed. (leading up to/after her marriage, Paula had Mrs. Heath on her bag which is borderline shameful) 

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

torgeaux posted:

Sunday is the day we'll see if he can keep it together. He's had a couple good rounds earlier. If he shoots competitive with the others in the top 10 tomorrow, he'll win some tournaments. If he wins tomorrow, jesus, watch out.

I think Rose is the number one threat tomorrow. If Tiger can outpace him, the tournament is his.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Just walked into a money game with 3 seniors at a course I've only played a few times before.

Whoops.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

mattfl posted:

I’m going to the Arnold Palmer tourney tomorrow. Does anyone want a logo ball or ball marker or anything? I know y’all are good for it :)

I would really enjoy a ball marker.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Keyser_Soze posted:

how many up and downs from 50 yds out on the par 4's and 50 foot putts did they drop on you? :corsair:

Not enough. :a2m:

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Well it seems these double digit hdcp guys made an assumption about my game based on a not great but not terrible tee shot off the first hole. Not trying to be condescending, but these were 3 seniors who were 12 hdcps at best. This was my 3rd round in 3 days, and I've shot 76 or better each day. I'm okay with letting them make that mistake.

The conditions were $1 skins and $1 birdies. I gave them a little bit of breathing room while I ordered a beer. When I got to the table to settle up, I think they short-changed me a few dollars because I made 3 birdies, and nobody else birdied. That's just a screenshot from a Google web search for Skins game calculator. I'll have to sit down with a pencil and paper and see if they did the math right; it's not like I'm going to track them down, but it would have been nice to play for free today.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

dangling pointer posted:

*shanks one off the tee one number one*

Old guys: “want to get in our skins game, $1 a hole”

You: “sure for $25 a hole”

Lol.

Skins are fun though, we normally play skins then closest to the pin on par 3’s.

Basically. I've been rolled by an old shark before, so I knew when they thought they smelled blood in the water.

It's been a long time since I have played a money game without having to factor in handicaps. We don't ever play for much, but it leaves a sour taste in my mouth when I shoot a better score but tie the hole or even have to pay. I always try to play 3 putts for $0.75 though.

torgeaux posted:

Bridgestone tour b rx. Soft ball, good distance, great feel.

One of the guys yesterday played with one. He said he liked it.

Shrapnig posted:

I usually play the Q-Star or more recently the Q-Star Tour.

I played the Bridgestone E6 through the cold weather this winter and that ball flies like hell. It feels like crap but man that ball goes.

Is the tour version urethane? If it spins enough around the greens, I could see it being a very good cold weather ball. Of course cold weather means 50 degrees here, but still.

I was playing those Kirkland Signature balls yesterday. They're very spinny, especially off the tee. A lot of my tee shots just ballooned in the air. But the harder I hit it, the farther it would go (farther than I thought it would). I don't know if it was compression or what. It wasn't until the back nine that I was consistently out driving these old men.

I'm switching to RZN Black today. Only got 4 boxes left; that's a pretty good ball off the tee for me. At least it doesn't spin as much. Read somewhere that Nike just rebadged Bridgestone balls; the dimple pattern is definitely different, especially on the last generation Nike balls, but I don't know. I'm pretty easy when it comes to golf balls. As long is it's not Top Flite, I'll play it.

E: Chromesofts are stupid good off the tee. I hit them longer with my irons as well, but they're still a little bit too expensive brand new, and I don't get out to practice enough to learn new distances. Very good ball though.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 15, 2018

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Dang, that plain umbrella one is solid. I'll take the Member of Arnie's Army one. $5 incoming.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Had a great front 9, including a birdie on Bay Hill #6 and a hole out for eagle on the Amen Corner par 5!

I hit a drive straight through the fairway, attempted Phil's shot from the pinestraw (but with a 3w instead of a 6i because there was a lot of wind, and also I'm weak af), topped it to 113 yards, then holed the gap wedge for an eagle 3, which is a better score than Phil got on the hole. AMA.

Actually got it to -4 through 11 with a birdie on the mickey mouse par 3, but then my body and brain decided that 4 days of golf was enough.

Forgot how to close out a round! +5 through last 6. 3 putted the Pebble Beach par 5, then took a double on the replica of Oakmont #4 because I couldn't get out of the churchpews. Almost threw my hole bag into the woods. Back started tightening up, and my game just up and left me after that. Started like a champ, finished like a chump.

Because I didn't want to finish the day like that, I tried to play a replay round.

I didn't bother making the turn; I got in my car and left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Yeah, definitely fatigue. Physical first, but it was pretty easy to let the mental side go as well.