Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I wouldn't bother with anything more than a 3W I could hit somewhat reliably, and err on the side if having too many wedges than woods. I would not worry about the particular club too much as long as it was a brand you have heard of and not ancient.

DuckHuntDog fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

DJExile posted:

god drat if this isn't the truth. Also yeah Golfshot owns a ton and everyone should get it.

Holy poo poo yall I'm 2 weeks from going to Scotland I am so hype. I know we're playing Castle Stewart and Royal Dornoch, not sure of where else yet.

Links golf is great, Scotland is great, and I am jealous. It is hard to find a bad place to play over there, in my experience.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

There are a few direct flights to Edinburgh (I know United flies from Newark to Edinburgh regularly), but the cheapest route will vary. That route is absolutely the least hassle, depending upon which airport and hub you are near.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Not to hijack, but seeing those photos has me want to share too. I spent three weeks in Scotland in July and did not play a single round outside of Fife, but it was still an awesome trip. It has me pretty tempted to start getting really serious about the game again and get a handicap/play in tournaments. None of my pictures are all that great (and I just now realized giant and I don't feel like re-uploading), but here are a couple:

No comment.

Crail (Balcomie) is awesome, and not super expensive even for non-members.

When I was 17 me and my dad went on a month long trip around Scotland playing all over, and I can confirm that links golf anywhere in that country is good golf.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

As a kid I played in tournaments around Houston in the summer and we walked all these courses built for carts (so you actually walk much further distances). There is nothing fun or reasonable about doing that, and it was always more an endurance test than actually trying to play golf well at all. Playing golf in Scotland makes it a complete nonissue, where the weather is much mroe amenable and courses are all meant to be walked anyways.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Dr. Capco posted:

Well I just confirmed my tee times at Kingsbarns and Carnoustie for my Scotland trip this summer. I've never played a real links course before so hopefully the weather doesn't take a giant dump on me and I can get out of there with a score around my handicap. :toot:

Both courses are fun, with the caveat that Kingsbarns is definitely a lot less like a traditional links course (and probably harder). You gonna go look at the Old Course at least while you are out there? It is worth trying to get on the ballot (https://www.standrews.com/play/ballot) when you are there.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Petey posted:

I thought the problem they were trying to address was making it easier to have a repeatable swing by making it possible to stand at a consistent distance, and bend at a consistent height, no matter what iron you were hitting, so you don't have to adjust the angles of your body quite so much?

That's the selling point for them, but the swing problems you are trying to address won't actually be solved by the clubs, and you likely won't really be all that more consistent because nobody has a super consistent swing without analysis and coaching. A lot of people like them, but so much in golf is placebo, and just feeling good about the equipment is all that really matters.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Nobody should be throwing away their future over it, but a bunch of older players having a lighter schedule and weaker competition while getting paid seems like a logical move if you are willing to ignore the political aspect of it all. There is probably some version of an alternative tour that would be fun to watch, even if this is not it for many reasons.

Those team logos look like something straight out of the Overwatch League.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

It would also not be a terrible time to maybe make an alternative tour for the guys in their 40s out of the remains of the LIV, and address some of the player greivances.

Still probably the worst possible result for anyone caring about the politics of all of this, or the structure of the company.