Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Halo14 posted:

Every second Saturday I play with my old man for :10bux: He's currently playing off a 13hc while I'm 3. Pretty generous head start I reckon.

He was looking confident after 4 holes, then I decided to stop being a spastic:

Missed a 3 foot curler for birdie on the last :(

mmf baby got back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

EnsGDT posted:

Pssshhh I do just fine with yardage markers :P

I don't want a laser... I like using my judgment... but it is the worst when you are at a new course and there is like, nothing! Like, you have to guess that an approach is somewhere between 180 and 250 and there is nothing to help you. The worst!

edit: worst!

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Halo14 posted:

How is that going to help me when I'm 2 fairways across after spraying my driver?!

Actually this is the problem more often than I'd like to admit......

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

thebushcommander posted:

I got the shanks! Dear lord help me. Cougar Point kicked my rear end on Tuesday morning. I got roped into playing from what is essentially the "white" tees so the course was playing maybe 6400 yards. Could barely use my driver on most of the holes. Driver was all out of whack too, I hit 6 green side bunkers. My only saving grace was a short par 4 where you can "attempt" to carry water on the left and land on the green approx 300 yard carry. I was already playing horrific so I decided to give it a shot. First ball came up about 3 yards short and rolled back into the water. Second shot made it over, hit a little back stop and rolled back to 6 ft and I made the putt for par. Had 2 eagle putts, missed both. One i salvaged a birdie and the other ended up being a double bogey which was really disheartening. I don't think I scored better than double bogey on the other 15 holes though. Drives were in the rough or fairway bunker every hole, irons were shanking non-stop. Only had 1 hole where I was on in 2 and ended up 3 putting ><

Needless to say, it was a poo poo round of golf.

Here is a picture I took sitting on the deck of the Ocean Course club house on tuesday after the above round (eating lunch) looking back on the 18th fairway contemplating my strategy for Wednesday morning. Ultimately we got rained out and I didn't get to play. Rescheduled for May 24th. Click for Huge.

If you blow it up to full size, in the middle you'll see a little line/row of white above what seems like endless grass. That is where the tee box for the 14th hole is, it's almost a mile away from the 18th green.

When I played a proper links course once I realized how spoiled I was, usually having trees lining a fairway... they can actually keep your balls from going too far astray... not so much with acres of fescue.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Josh Lyman posted:

Any of you play with a push cart? I don't walk much since almost all the courses around here are cart-only, but it seems like it'd be a smart investment for my long-term back health if I can find a good model on the cheap.

I had no idea cart-only was a thing that existed in the world. That is horrible. I walk every round unless someone I'm with insists on a cart, but I find cart golfing incredibly silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

daslog posted:

New year, hit balls for the first time in a while, and I have a nice looking slice.

I kept looking down the range to see if the last stall on the right would open. For liability reasons. On plus side, wedges were very good. I kept fighting the low irons though. It was high slice or duck hook only. Not in any shape to play golf yet. I played almost none last year so ughhhh