Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

You know, I really shouldn't/can't complain about being able to golf right now, but the "winter" rates that courses are charging right now are outrageous. Courses that I can play April-November for $15-25 are upwards of $50-70 right now. Stupid snowbirds!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

+12 through 13 now, holy christ wtf is wrong. Looks like he has forgotten howto chip/pitch completely.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Seymour Butts posted:

He is obviously over-thinking his entire approach when it comes to chipping and pitching. He reminds me of Chuck Knoblauch, former Yankees second baseman, that inexplicably forgot how to throw to first base. It is really strange and sad :(

jarrod saltalamacchia former red sox catcher had this same issue where he just forgot how to throw the ball back to the pitcher. That's a great example of what's going on though. It was completely a mental issue and took him a while to get over it.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Wow, ends at 82 for the day. His worst round in his career. Not a great way to start the year I imagine!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Got out before the game yesterday to a course I hadn't played in almost 3 years.

Course wasn't in $35 condition when it's normally under $20 during the summer, but I'll take it! It's a pretty open course with not much trouble so as long as you can keep it not too far off the fairway you'll have a good second shot. Missed a couple of make-able longish birdie putts, greens weren't in the best of condition but at least they were rolling mostly straight. Goal this year is to shoot 72, couple more made putts here and there and I think I'm on track to do it.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Went to deweys again sat night with some friends to mess around. Good times were had then we had an impromptu long drive contest. Here's my winning drive :smuggo:

Just a slight fade but more or less straight shot. I need to learn to hit a drat draw though. I can do it most of the time with my 3 wood when I try, but my driver is another store.

Here's the weird thing, when I was in maui last year and was using the rental Titleist clubs at kapalua, I was hitting a draw every time with the driver in the bag. It was a stiff flex or maybe even regular flex shaft vrs the X flex I use on my covert. I'm guessing I was getting more flex causing the head to come around more resulting in the draw? Should I consider dropping down to a less stiff shaft? Help me here a draw here guys!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Omerta posted:

This is the path to madness. How about just hitting your driver straight and use your 3 wood when you need to work it off the tee. The game of golf is littered with good players who destroyed their games by trying better control their draw shape when their natural flight was a fade.

Once you get to 115+, it's just hard to hit a draw shape without having the big hook pop up. My swing speed is about the same as you (116-119, a few over 120), and I find it's much safer to play it straight or with a slight fade off the tee. The difference in distance is negligible, and I think people get way too focused on shaping the ball rather than hitting it straight.

Idk maybe that's a possible concern when you're a +1 or better, but I wouldn't care about that until you're hitting 12 or 13 GIRs every round. Til then, I wouldn't worry so much about shape and just focus on getting firs and GIRs.

Somewhat related, I find that I score a lot better when I just aim for the middle of the green. I'm a sucker for sucker pin placements, and my tracking has certainly born out that the birdies I make by sticking it close don't outweigh the bogeys or worse I make when it goes bad. Obviously, I'll play to get on the right side of a hill or whatever, but I'm really going to focus on just hitting the green rather than trying to hit it close.

Thanks for this. I think I just needed someone to tell me I'm probably way over thinking my play and to just play what I do naturally and not worry about it. And you're right about the big hook, the one time I tried on the range to play the draw all I got was a big fat 200 yard hook.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Doyzer posted:

Fade is easier to control and you have plenty of distance. If these numbers are accurate you would be better served with a higher launch combined with a lower spinning golf shaft. I would recommend keeping the x-flex shaft. Maybe something with a higher kick point and heavier weight.

What shaft do you use now?

Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Silver 60 graphite X-Flex. It's what came on the driver.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

runoverbobby posted:

I've started to not carry a scorecard when I play alone. I'm sure this is a bad thing to do if you care about your handicap, or like to play in tournaments and need to simulate playing under pressure. But if you just want a confidence boost or motivation to practice more it's pretty great. At the end of the round you remember all the good shots you made, instead of the bad ones that gave you a Bad Number, since there are no Numbers. It's almost therapeutic.

I don't keep score on a scorecard any more, just use my golfshot app. That keeps me from sneaking a peak at the card mid round.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Finally got around to putting on the new grips the wifey got my for xmas.

First time doing grips, friend had done them before and helped me out. Wasn't too hard really. Hopefully will get to try them out this weekend.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Seymour Butts posted:

standard? I've been thinking about putting on new grips and adding a couple extra wraps under them so they are just smaller than mid-size. I also want to cut about 1-1.25 inches of length from my 3-wood. I usually just choke down, but if cutting it down is going to effect the shaft too much, maybe I'll just put 2 extra wraps on the top of the grip and 3 on the bottom. It's the default rocketfuel 60 gram stiff shaft that comes with the RBZ Stage 2, if anyone knows more about torque, kickpoint, etc and how that all works.

Ya standard. I like how these feel a lot better than the golf prides that were on them from the mizuno factory. A friend wants to goto deweys again thursday so maybe I'll head over there to break them in before a real round.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

UnionCarbide posted:

Hey Florida folks. I'm organizing a trip for my golf club to Orlando, and I'm looking for courses to play. I've been there golfing twice now, and I'm hoping to see some new courses.

The courses I have already played:
Falcon's Fire
Disney's Magnolia
Disney's LBV
Orange County National
Watson Course at Reunion
New Course at Cypress Grand Villas

Ideally golf should be less than $100 a round, but that's a very soft cap. I think the most I've paid at any of those courses is $80.
We're planning on playing 5 rounds, and I know that the New Course is definitely going to be one of them. Probably Magnolia too, since it used to be on the PGA Tour.

How far are you willing to travel?

El Campeon at Mission Inn is a pretty amazing course.

http://www.missioninnresort.com/golf/el-campeon-golf-course.html

Black Bear is a very challenging and hilly course and is one of my favorites to play as it's pretty close to me.

http://blackbeargolfclub.com/

Red Tail is another good one out near Black Bear

http://www.redtailgc.com/

And if you want a real links style course in Florida check our Royal St Cloud

http://royalstcloudgolflinks.com/

I play all these courses on the regular and they are all always in excellent shape with (depending on when you're coming) reasonably priced tee times. The most expensive one on the list will be Mission Inn, but even then the last time I played it it was around $60.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DJExile posted:

My parents are in Orlando on a trip and got to play Bay Hill :manning:

They ran into Arnold Palmer himself and just sent me a picture of them with him. :manning::manning:

Wow that's pretty awesome! Did they know someone to get on? Usually you have to stay there for 2 nights to be able to play if you aren't a member.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Apparently he played with 2 members yesterday and shot a 76 and still has chipping problems. I don't expect him to make the cut.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Dad's 61st bday was Saturday so I took him to one of his favorite courses. Beautiful day out and we had a great time and he shot one of his lowest scores of the year.

Here have some pics and videos :)

I shot 80 and he shot 88. Neither of us have played for about 3 weeks, I should have been lower except for my one big fuckup on the front nine and the 2 3 putts I had. It's a very links style course in that it's wide open and unusual for florida, not built in between a bunch of houses. About a 45 minute drive for us but you can usually get on for about $20-30 in the summer, we're still in winter rates now so it was $40, still not too bad, free range balls to! For all your northerners still stuck in winter, all that green stuff you see is indeed grass. :)

Pops
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPJZgcko1TU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3p2sCkUhKo

Me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nYSjWGFaKs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E51uGCQmU2A

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Omerta posted:

Edit: royal St. Cloud is pretty sweet. Heard it's already getting pretty hot down in orlando--hope you get a few more weeks before the heat and humidity roll in.

It hit almost 90 when we were out saturday and the humidity wasn't too bad. Having been golfing in Florida the past 10 years or so, the heat and humidity doesn't bother me that much anymore. They key is to stay hydrated, i usually go through multiple bottles of water during a round and a few Gatorades.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DoctaFun posted:

This is awesome, as soon as you said 'very links style course /unusual for Florida' I thought, 'I bet that's Royal St. Cloud!'.

I played there with my Dad about 5 years ago while we were on vacation in Orlando, I much preferred that course to the other ones that weave through the housing developments. Isn't there a red british phone booth on the course somewhere?

There is!

So this course is basically made of up of 3 nines. Red, blue and white, you play a combination of the two for your 18. On the 7th hole on each course is one of those red phone booths which you use to order food that you pickup on your way past the clubhouse to your back 9.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I'm going to the new PGA Superstore they opened in Orlando tomorrow(http://www.pgatoursuperstore.com/index.jsp) with a friend. He works in sales and has a lot of opportunities at his work to golf with people but has never really golfed seriously before. Told him, let's go get you fit and get a decent set of game improvement irons and start coming out with me and I'll help him out. Told him to figure $3-500 for a decent set of irons from the store and we'll find out what sort of driver he needs and find a cheap/used one on eBay. Told him if he wants to get better and actually serious about the game, getting fit is the best thing to do and will save him the hassle of buying a new set in the long run when he outgrows whatever lovely set he was going to spend $200 on at target. I think I'm gonna hit some new drivers and see if I like anything better than my Covert Tour I have now. Anything specific I should hit? Vapor Tour and the new Ping driver are high on my list.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

daslog posted:

What app are you guys using to track your scores?

Golfshot and I use the free version. Gives GPS and tracks handicap.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Star Man posted:

I just started a seasonal job working on the grounds for one of Denver's golf courses. One of the perks is that I get to play for free on any of the city's nine golf courses, but I've never ever played before (I was on a driving range once and swung at balls in like...2000 or so when I was 13).

I've asked my housemate who does play to show me how if he ever wants to check out the course in Evergreen. What am I about to get myself into?

If you've never played before, take some real lessons from a pro, don't put that on your housemate. I have a friend who wants to learn how to play who has never golfed before, and without even having the basic ideas of how golf works, it would be way too much for me to try and teach him. Unless your housemate really wants to teach someone who has never golfed before, goto a pro and get some real lessons. You're going to need to start at the very basics and work your way up from there and a pro is going to be able to do that much better than someone who just plays.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

UnionCarbide posted:

Woah, I thought I accidentally wandered into the F1 thread there for a second.

It's weird, that's his 3rd post in the thread and his other 2 were about the allenby "kidnapping" in Hawaii.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kameh posted:

Maybe he was calling the guy "douchebag" because that was his name?

Also, am I one of the 8 nerds who posts his rounds? That's hurtful. :ohdear:

Speaking of rounds

Went out again to Royal Saint Cloud this past weekend and played white/blue instead of blue/white this time. I had a pretty awesome round. Drives were going where I wanted them too, not necessarily straight(played my fade) but far and in the fairway, short game was ok, that's probably the main area I need to work on, and for once my putting was pretty spot on. I'm really loving this course and for $28($19 once the summer rates kick in) you really can't beat the price. Greens are in perfect condition, nice fairways, and it usually plays in about 4 - 4 1/2 hours for a four some.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Ramagamma posted:

I'm now a golf club member, WOO.

Officially middle class now bitches

We are currently renting a house right now and have started to look at buying in the next year. There are 2 golf course subdivisions that are in our price range, guess who has already started working on the wife that we need to seriously look into them. :)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Nerdrock posted:

My Golf Tags (Basically "Game Golf" but your NFC capable Android phone is the receiver rather than wearing that janky GPS belt thing) came in today. With it came a code for a free year of Golf Pad Premium . If anyone wants the code, PM me or reply and I'll post / send / PM the code or whatever.

Def interested in how these work. Considering picking up something like this to track clubs better.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Jesus, this is freaking great golf.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I want them to play 17 over and over until a winner emerges! I know it's 16,17 and 18 though.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Predictions on who puts one in the water on 17??

I gotta go with Sergio :cheeky:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Sorry Kameh.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Jesus Fowler.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Halo14 posted:

Rickie Won? Awesome :)

Saw this on GolfWRX - looks sweet:

Wow, and to think, it's about time for a new driver! I'd rock the poo poo outta that club.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Oh poo poo, you can already buy it!

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/vapor-speed-golf-driver/pid-10503632/pgid-10503633

http://www.golfsmith.com/product/30155900/nike-limited-edition-volt-driver

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

thebushcommander posted:

Any of you dudes want any golf clothes for the cost of shipping? I am moving at the end of May and started cleaning out my closets.

So far I've found 3 Nike Dri-Fit shirts (XL) 3 Under Armor (XL) 1 pair of Nike pants (38x32) 1 Pair of Under Armor shorts (38 waist) - Pretty sure I have at least 3 more Nike shirts kicking around somewhere. I don't remember wearing any of this stuff. Mostly because I wear medium golf shirts from Nike and anywhere from 32-34 waist depending on brand name. I haven't been "fat" in years and it was only a short stint of being a lard rear end so these XL and 38 waist items couldn't have lasted more than 1/4 of a season. I'll take some pictures once I finish digging it all out, but I wasn't sure if any of you could wear them or not. It's either this or they go to Good Will/ Trash.

Dibs on pants?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Email sent!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Anyone in Florida this week? I'm off friday and all my golfing buddies have to work and I REALLY wanna get out. Was thinking Orange County National or one of the Disney courses or something along those lines.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Oh man, found a couple guys to play friday and what do I see in my email, $39 early morning tee times at Orange County National?? gently caress yes please!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

According to Google maps, I can get a flight from Atlanta for just $88! :v:

$88 for the flight plus $39 for the tee time is almost the price of the normal tee time! They have a deal tomorrow, all day golf after 10:30 for $49 :)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

UnionCarbide posted:

Man, the Panther Lake course ate my lunch when I was there last year. Worst round of my vacation, but also the most interesting course that I played.

Last September I played crooked cat and Panther lake back to back. I def liked crooked cat better, shot 80/81, let's see if I can beat that 80. :)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

UnionCarbide posted:

Yeah, that was my plan, but after I finished Panther at noon-ish, it was super humid and there were thunderstorm warnings, so I elected to go get drunk at Epcot instead.

Speaking of FL golf, what's the word on Mystic Dunes? They're right next door to the resort I'm likely staying in this year (Windsor Hills), and their rates seem low.

My current list of courses I'm planning on playing is:
New Course at Cypress Villas
Royal St. Cloud
Falcon’s Fire
Disney’s Magnolia GC

Mystic is great! You'll enjoy it.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So I had a pretty freaking awesome day today

Birdied the last 2 holes to shoot even par on the back, and the last birdie was a 40 footer uphill, even the guys I was playing with were pretty excited when that fell. 2 3 putts on the front hurt me a little. Course was in absolute pristine condition, their email said it was tournament ready and I believe it. This is by far the best round I've shot on one of the more challenging courses I play.

UnionCarbide posted:

California golf courses are basically going to be Mad Max: Fury Golf in about a month, playing someplace with actual green grass is going to be a hell of a culture shock.

Oh man, we've had plenty of rain here in Central florida too the past couple weeks so the courses are as green as ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I just ordered a new pair of FootJoy DNA shoes. Currently I have Nike FI Impact shoes but found there was little to no grip in the toe area and keep slipping with my right foot on drives. The Footjoys are regular spiked shoes and I haven't played in spikes in a long time, it'll be interesting to see how they do for me.