Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

daslog posted:

This thread can be discouraging. I hit a bucket of balls a couple of times a week, play at least once our twice a week and I can barely break 100.

Man breaking 100 would make me happier than Tiger Woods getting asked to star on The Bachelor.

Mind you this is the first year Ive had a membership (my graduation present courtesy of my awesome dad :3:) in... 20 years! Up until now Ive been lucky to get out more than 3-4 times a year so yeah, Im a bit rusty. The membership also got me into the OGA, so I now have a handicap too. Ive been told I have an amazing swing but no sense of direction and a bad judge of distance. And this weird fear of hitting the ground with the club so I scald the ball basically every other shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Is there any reason whatsoever to drop that kind of money on clubs if you suck? I expect the effect would be so insignificant in for someone like me that is basically re-learning the game at even the most basic level that Id be better off sticking with my 15 year old set of Nike whatevers. At what point is it a good idea to actually invest in a decent set of clubs?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

DJExile posted:

Oh yeah it's basically every VHS instructional tape you've seen in the 1980s, which is funny as all hell.

You cant mention awesome 80s instructional videos without bringing up Lee Trevino!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Thats actually something Ive noticed a lot so far this year. When I was younger and had memberships, people were mostly courteous and let faster groups play through. These days I feel like that is all gone and its all about entitlement. Its makes for a really lovely day when youre stuck behind a foursome of whackfuck idiots that spend more time doing everything but playing the game.

Is this just a local thing or do you guys notice it too? The course Im a member of is on a military base so there are a lot of military members, but I have a hard time believing that would make a difference.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

3 rounds in a row at 104. Consistency! I really need to get better at par 3s though because holy poo poo shooting 8 on them as often as I do is not helpful. Im in the middle of trying a new putting grip too so hopefully that starts shaving off strokes once I get used to it.

Im a little sad that golfshot app doesnt cover a single course I play though. :(

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

pmac posted:

That looks like a superb, scenic course. I've never played golf in the UK but photos like yours sure make me want to make the trip. 56 isn't bad at all for your first time on a regulation course. Keep it up!

If you like scenic courses like that Id recommend a golf trip to the maritime provinces here in Canada. Some really beautiful coastal courses out there.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

On my way back out for another 18 with my dad. I can't even remember the last time I played two rounds in one day. Excited to hopefully break 100 with what I practiced this morning. :toot:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im considering buying tickets to the Canadian Open as a gift for my dad. Problem is that so few players actually participate in it now Im worried it might not be worth it.

$60 to boo Bubba Watson in person seems like a great deal though. :v:

e: Oh yeah, second round yesterday was 105. Would have broke 100 but I had a 9 on the easiest par 4 on the course (2 drives off the tee into OB) and a 7 on the first par 3 because of some very poor putting decisions. Overall I am getting more consistent in my play which is I guess what you aim for to start with. I can work on adding yards to my shots after Im more comfortable. :toot:

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 6, 2015

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Normally this time of year its stupid hot and 100% humidity in central Ontario, but the jet stream being all hosed up has kept the average temp around 24 with low humidity and a consistent breeze to keep bugs to a minimum. Perfect golf weather for my first summer back at the sport. :q:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

aehiilrs posted:

Nah I'll just meet my goal of being a 15 by the end of the year.

Canadians: Sportchek has a lot of stuff on clearance at decent prices at the moment. I'm not sure if this is everywhere, but it's worth checking out.

Theres one near me Ill have to go check tomorrow! Used to be easy to find good deals since there were a ton of golf stores here in the city back in the mid 2000s. I think only 2 survived which kind of sucks since I hate the idea of spending as much money as golf equipment does without ever testing it. :(

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Halo14 posted:

This is awesome, keep them coming!

My round from yesterday:

Can I get a putting lesson Kameh?

I realised that I had never actually designated clubs in Golfshot. You can see I almost prefer my 2i over the driver.

I use my driver for a single hole at my course, everything else gets the 3W treatment. I always find it amusing how often people, especially new players, are told to rush out and drop $200+ on a brand new driver not realizing its the hardest club to master outside the putter. :v:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Kameh posted:

See, I feel differently. A 3 wood has a lot of technology that drivers have, but if you're a new golfer, you're PROBABLY going to mishit the 3 wood as often as you mishit the driver. But, all other things being equal, you're gonna be 20+ yards ahead with a driver mishit compared to a mishit with a 3w.

Article I read a while back that sort of solidified this nebulous notion of mine that driver off tee is better than 3 wood - http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/2007-10/golftechdriver

Personally, a bad swing is a bad swing, but unless there's trouble at the end of the fairway or a driver will leave me with a wonky yardage, I'm pulling driver every time.

This is pretty good info. Once I get more consistent off the tee I will probably club up, but right now that extra 20 yards would typically put me in a worse spot (usually in the deep rough/OB) so I dont mind being 20 yards shorter if it means my follow up shot is easier. :shobon:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Today is Birthday Golf Day so I dont care how bad I do. :toot:

Its 34 outside, feels like 41 with humidity, not a cloud in the sky, and I have 12 bottles of water frozen and ready to go. Im even taking my driver today. LETS DO THIS.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Front 9: 46 with 2 triples to start then a string of pars and bogeys.

Set myself up to break 100 for the first time since 1997.

Back 9: 55 I shot 10 on 2 holes, one of them being the easiest par 4 on the course.

The heat was really getting to me, and each bad shot led to another and another and I reached peak poo poo when I came down on top of my club after I lost balance taking a reckless swing in an attempt to crush a 5W. Bruised, beaten, and tired I finished with yet another string of pars.

This game guys. This game. :smithicide:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Allenby is loving crazy and now Im even sadder I passed up those tickets to go down there yesterday to watch. And of course the most stereotypically Canadian thing happens and a fan offers to carry his clubs. :canada:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

David Hearn is a goofy looking dude but I hope he does well today. -1 thru 3 so far. :canada:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I havnt quit, I just havnt gotten out due to this lovely weather. Im a fair weather golfer so this 32+ heat (plus humidity) is keeping me away from the course. :shobon:

Last round was 101, 2 away from my goal, and was my first round with nothing higher than a triple. Im so gonna break 100 this summer. I can feel it. :toot:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

So I think I figured out why I hate the driver; of the two I have, both are low loft (8 and 9) and really hard to hit properly with the slower club head speed of my swing. I tried my dad's 10.5 and I was hitting it just as good as I hit my 3W, only 30+ yards further, so now Im in the market for a driver. And a 5W.

Is this one of those cases where Id be better off hitting up a golf shop for a proper fitting?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

:frogsiren::siren:OH GOD I BROKE 100!:siren::frogsiren:

(ignore fairways I dont know how to input them in golfshot yet)

Went out with my dad today and started on the back 9 because there were 3 groups ahead of us on the front 9, 2 of which had small children playing with them. By the end of the back 9 I had zero hope of breaking 100 so I made then bend thinking "Whatever, this gives me a chance to work on making smart shots instead of trying to get more yardage out of them." and man did it pay off. After 7, which was just a poo poo show of a hole, my dad mentioned that all I needed to do was finish the last 2 holes with bogeys to break 100, probably in an attempt to make me nervous and gently caress up because he enjoys my golf misery. I was so nervous by hole 9, but I played it so drat well and I felt so loving vindicated sinking the 4 inch putt for par.

If I can break 100 again Im going to set a new goal (95), which is going to rely almost entirely on my haphazard putting improving.

I seriously cant wait to get out again tomorrow. :woop:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I take back everything I said golf is a dumb game for crazy people that get some perverse joy out of doing the sporting equivalent to punching yourself in the testicles.

Why yes I had a really bad round after that 98. 110 and it wasnt just one thing, I was bad everywhere. And Im going out again Tuesday because Im one of those crazy people. :smithicide:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Furnaceface posted:

If I can break 100 again Im going to set a new goal (95), which is going to rely almost entirely on my haphazard putting improving.

Broke 100 again today, only 2 rounds later. :toot:

Also shot 95 so I met my new goal pretty quick! My chipping was dreadful, leaving me tons of 20+ foot putts from terrible spots, but for some reason I was just killing it with my putting leaving me nothing more than a few inches if I wasnt sinking it. It was hot, humid, sunny, and we got stuck behind a foursome of seniors as soon as we hit the back 9, which turned our normal 2 hour round into a 4 hour round because they wouldnt let anyone pass. Going out again tomorrow with my dad, brother and his friend. Hope I dont follow this round up like I did my last sub-100 one.

This game is simultaneously the best and worst thing ever.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

mattfl posted:

Tiger is actually playing like Tiger Woods today at Wyndham.

It will last until Saturday and then he will fall apart.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

EnsGDT posted:

And Davis Love III, what is it, 1997?

All we need is David Duval... and now I made myself sad. :(

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I must be the only person that still doesnt like Tiger. He never shows up to any PGA stops in Canada, he cheated on his wife, and he is an arrogant rear end in a top hat that blames everything but himself when he plays bad.

Most of these also apply to my hatred for Bubba Watson.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Metapod posted:

Same reason why people can root for Bonds, MJ, and etc. Greatness is fun to watch so why root for failure

Oh I enjoyed his early career. He put literal fear into the old guard at the time and it was loving thrilling to watch him do. I cheered for him for many years and the guy ushered in a brand new era for the game. I mean, poo poo, they had to Tiger-proof so many loving courses. How many people have ever done that?

But Id say the late 2000s is when that all started to go away. The game he helped basically redesign was catching up, the young guys didnt show fear (quite the opposite), and his temper tantrums and off course demeanor just fell off a cliff. He was no longer fun to watch, and while I dont actively cheer for his failure, I dont give a poo poo about his success anymore either.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

I played in a scramble with my boss and two guys from his league yesterday at my home course. We ended up in second place at 16 under par. The winning team was -18 and had a guy who hit the ball farther than I've ever seen in person, despite being like 5'5". He carried his 3w 280 into the wind to cut the corner on a dogleg, and I think they had a second guy on the team who was near scratch. We ended up not winning any skins despite eagling a par 4 and a birdie on a 195 yard par 3. I stuck my 4i to 5 feet and won the closest to the pin on that hole at least. This tournament is run by a local archery club to benefit wounded veterans and every other year the winning score has been like -8 or -10 according to my boss, I guess lots of guys brought in some real golfers this time around to try and win. It was a lot of fun and I won two free rounds with cart at the best local course so I'm looking forward to that.

That just makes me feel even worse. Im only 5'6" and I havnt been able to hit a driver/3W more than 260 in years. Once upon a time I could, but man, I got old and fat. And really out of practice. :smith:

Golf stores are starting to put stuff on clearance because of how close to being done the season is, so I think Im going to go driver/5W shopping tomorrow. Should be interesting, I havnt bought a new club in... 11 years!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

mattfl posted:

Tiger is done. Just tripled 11 and is now 7 back.

:unsmigghh:

Kameh posted:

There isn't much of an off-season in Texas, but since I won't be playing but a few times a month, I wouldn't mind starting some sort of "get stronger, hit ball farther" routine in the gym. It's gotta be some sort of blend of weights and yoga, right?

Take up hockey. :v:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Giant Goober posted:

Oh dear, I had my first telling off for not meeting the dress code. Turns out my socks weren't white or plain enough. Thankfully the guest pack the course hands out contains white ankle socks so crisis averted. I guess if they are handing out socks to guests I can't be the first to have gotten it wrong. Should have just worn pants and it wouldn't have been a problem :(

Golf courses where you live must be doing pretty well if they can get away with that. Here the only restrictions are "collared shirt" and "no clothes with tears/holes in them" and that still seems to drive a lot of business away.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

DJExile posted:

golf naked :q:

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/08/10/man-arrested-for-golfing-naked-in-hyannis/ :v:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Nerdrock posted:

I've only recently learned that apparently I'm a monster for having so many pairs of cargo shorts. gently caress the haters. I got my balls, tees, divot tool, eCig all ready to go.

I am literally right now finding out I am in the same boat as you. And I still give no fucks. Pockets for everything I ever need. :smug:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I have shot 100 in 3 consecutive rounds, each round consisting of me failing miserably on a single hole and shooting 9. All par 4's. :argh:

Going out this afternoon but Im just not feeling it today. Rough week at work because of the long weekend means Im just pooped, and its still freaking 30 outside (38 with humidity), so Im not expecting a great round.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

This game is the most cruel one to ever exist. Last 2 rounds following the 100 streak was 102 then 98. Each round had a new thing fall apart while something else worked better than ever.

One of those rounds was with my brother and his friend, who has been golfing for just a little over a year. Brother and I both shot 102, he shot 83. His driver shots were in the ~320 range and his accuracy was ridiculous. I wanted to puke. And maybe go all Tanya Harding on his knees for making me feel so loving bad at the game. :smith:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Golf season is just about over and my work schedule has picked back up. I might be lucky to get 1 or 2 more rounds in at this point. 25 rounds this summer so far though, the most Ive played in 20 years. :unsmith:

Unfortunately I doubt it will happen again next summer, its just too drat expensive. :smith:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

EnsGDT posted:

Be honest, how terrible is that dude on the ladies' tees playing

Better than I played when I went out on Saturday for probably my last game of the year.

:negative:

The greens were cut super fast for a tournament so I was blasting every shot off the back of every green and making terrible putting decisions when I eventually got a shot to stick on. Plus I couldnt get off the tee block if my life depended on it. Maybe the winter break will do me some good.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Driving ranges will be opening this week if the weather stays even remotely close to what it is now. :canada:

Also please do good things DeLaet. Youre our last hope.

e: Im really digging the new bearded Graham DeLaet

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 12, 2016

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I think you'll find that it's never too soon to get new clubs. :getin:

I dont know how you people can afford new clubs more often than every 15 years with the stupid prices they want for everything golf related these days. :smith:

One day I will be able to replace my 9 year old set of clubs (and 15 year old woods and 18 year old putter).

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

mattfl posted:

I don't have any kids!

Neither do I!

I do have school debts and registration exams/fees out the wazoo right now though. There will be new clubs in the future, just not this year. :unsmith:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

DJExile posted:

I'm mostly cool with Bubba. When you are a completely self-taught golfer and you get 2 green jackets (one of which you won on one of the greatest goddamn shots I have ever seen), I cannot hate you.

He is extremely rude to fans and has that whole temper tantrum thing that just makes it even worse. He is an amazing golfer but not a very personable one.

Mickelson will always be the player I hate the most because he is Bubba on Tea Party Republican steroids and one of the cockiest bastards on the course.

Everyone should be more like Graham DeLaet. Beard included. :colbert:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Went to the driving range with my dad yesterday afternoon. Neither of us even swung a club over the winter (so since the end of September) so it was a bit ugly at times. My dad got a new Taylor Made set at Christmas so for him it was learning to swing the new lighter clubs. For me it was mostly just trying to remember how to swing a club without killing or hurting myself.

Felt good by the end of the bucket though. Consistently carrying 180-200 with my 3W off the mats, 7 iron was shorter than I remember but I was accurate as hell with placement, 3 iron was almost as long as my 3W for some reason, and my 5 iron still acted like it was operating on a random number generator. Everything under the 7 was garbage poo that either hooked or I was pulling really far to the left. I need to work on my short irons because I lose so many strokes inside 130 yards and its clear there is an issue somewhere.

Im going to get a driver (and maybe 5W) after work today. Ive never used one before so it should be interesting to have one in my bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

After work golf store trip report:

Went in and the place as dead so I went to the practice thing and swung some drivers for a while. After about 40 minutes I had narrowed it down to the SLDR and the Vapor Speed. Worked out in my favor anyway since I found out after they were both on clearance sale. I was averaging 200 carry with the Vapor and 195 with the SLDR (compared to 185 with the Cobra Fly Z and Callaway XR and 168(!) with the Adams Blue), but the Vapor felt much smoother to swing so I ended up going with that. Also took some time with the matching 5W and 3 Hybrid and ended up buying the 5W as well. New clubs for the first time ever in my life. :toot:

Ill take a picture of my bag once I clean the irons up since Im pretty much set for the beginning of the year. Im so loving ready for golf you guys. :dance: