Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
We had a demo day at my local club this weekend, and the Ping rep spent about an hour just with me, trying to get my iron fitting figured out. It was pretty cool. Guys kept coming up and being like, "Hey can I hit the one Bubba uses?" and he would be like, "uh yeah here. So anyway let's try some different shafts to see which one works best for you."

Not gonna like kinda made me want a new set of Pings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

DoctaFun posted:

You should, Ping clubs rule. I have the S56s and they are awesome.

Ugh but they hurt my wallet so bad :( I really want them.

Omerta posted:

Somewhat related, I find that I score a lot better when I just aim for the middle of the green. I'm a sucker for sucker pin placements, and my tracking has certainly born out that the birdies I make by sticking it close don't outweigh the bogeys or worse I make when it goes bad. Obviously, I'll play to get on the right side of a hill or whatever, but I'm really going to focus on just hitting the green rather than trying to hit it close.

This is one of those things that pro caddies say for amateur golfers. "Stop trying to be fancy and aim at the middle of the green." If you miss, you'll probably still be on the green and putting, instead of trying to get that back right pin location and sailing it. I've been making an effort to do this lately, and it's been paying off.

Combine it with Mickelson's principle of "on long puts, aim for a three foot circle around the cup, then drain your 2nd putt" and it's par central up in this bitch.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

I had a really good time hitting the R15 driver this weekend at a demo, but it's so expensive :(

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Do you guys have any golf podcasts you like? I have a long commute.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

thebushcommander posted:

This is one of those rare times where golfers like myself that shoot low 80's high 70's can pretend we're better than Tiger, if only for a week.

Playing courses that are 1000 yards shorter :v:

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah but can Tiger play off of dead grass and dirt like us scrubs, or putt on a shaggy public green covered in divots, or wait twenty minutes to drive because of the elederly foursome walking ahead of him???

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

If I were to be out in Joshua Tree for a film shoot next week, which desert course would you recommend I go play the day after my shoot wraps? :)

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

DJExile posted:

I think they were in some organized outing.

I prefer disorganized outings myself, but to each their own I guess.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Doyzer posted:

But 76 puts you at T138 11 shots back.

Every time I go golfing on the LA public courses and I shoot mid 80s and feel great about myself, I try and remember these numbers, on professional length and difficulty courses.

Then I go back to the range to hit more balls. :getin:

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

shyduck posted:

Apparently Taylormade sales dipped 28% in 2014. Maybe this "new clubs every month" thing is finally catching up to them.

I'm two fitting sessions into custom fitting right now, and I will never buy a club at a box store again. Hello 43.5" 9.5 degree driver, where have you been my entire life???

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Nerdrock posted:

Welp : Left hand is done. I asked the surgeon and he was pretty liberal with activities compared to a lot of the posting I've seen online. He tells me the only limitation of activities is my tolerance for pain. He claims "the body tells you if you're doing something you shouldn't. just kind of listen to it". More specifically, as soon as a week passes and my cast/brace is removed, swing a club and see what happens. So : that's interesting.

There's a video out there somewhere of a self hitting driver that I was going to link but I can't find it :(

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

daslog posted:

Tiger is going to play in the masters! Will he withdraw to injury before he misses the cut or will he suck it up and just miss the cut like a regular?

What are the gambling odds of him winning?

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Speaking of the Masters, are we doing a dedicated SAS thread, or should we keep it in here?

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Are you guys watching this? Cause Holmes is 7 under through 9. :staredog:

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Update

9 under through 13. Good god.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Omerta posted:

Can I get a swing check? Still backing out of it a little, but I'm a lot more synced up than I used to be.

https://youtu.be/BlHg66zoNPU

Also, I'm going to Sage Valley next weekend, which is probably my favorite course ever--maybe second to Seminole. Super jacked about that. I'm gonna practice a ton this weekend so I can put up some low numbers.

Things that are jumping out to me:

Your left hand grip (can't quite get a good view of it) looks a little weak to me.

Check it at set up and see how it looks, cause I can't really see it.

Your set up posture and hands are really close to your body, which is pushing your weight back on to your heels.

This is the grip and posture video that I always go back to for my swing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6UdyBiJcS4

Club face looks a little closed at this point in your swing. That's on the way up, btw.

Try those things and see what happens.

Fair warning, I am not a teaching professional, I'm just basing these off my swing checkpoints that I look for when I practice :)

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Ramagamma, have you ever gone for lessons? If you wanna blow your friends out of the water, that is the best place to start :)

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

I feel as though we need a Spieth related thread title change. Thoughts?

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

zinc68 posted:

Hair Jordan, your jacket

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Kameh posted:

I like this. Am I missing how to change the thread title, or is it mod only?

PM a mod, unless one is reading this.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Beating a dead horse, but lessons, then getting professionally fitted, is what has made the difference for me :). In that order.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

DoctaFun posted:

Get a laser! I highly recommend it.

Pssshhh I do just fine with yardage markers :P

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Nichol posted:

I don't want a laser... I like using my judgment... but it is the worst when you are at a new course and there is like, nothing! Like, you have to guess that an approach is somewhere between 180 and 250 and there is nothing to help you. The worst!

edit: worst!

I mean I guessssssss. I grew up hunting, so my distance judgement is pretty good?

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Halo14 posted:

How is that going to help me when I'm 2 fairways across after spraying my driver?!

In this case the answer is always a gently caress it 4 iron

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

JD Bucks 7 posted:

Hey, douchebag, people do watch golf even if this thread is strictly devoted to 8 posters talking about their game. That said, "Pepsi" (are you loving kidding me?) is an rear end in a top hat, but that should be a given seeing as he is a caddy for a Jordan-shoe wearing masshole. Jiminez had every right to watch what his competitor in match play was doing. The "Pepsi" caddy should have had MAJ beat the gently caress out of him rather than a shut up. Pepsi's job, besides not-so-subtly-endorsing-a-cola- brand isto carry a bag and shut the gently caress up. Not to interject his opinion on match he is not playing in. I guess Keegan got his panties in a bunch, in keeping with his LPGA royal lineage.

holy poo poo I'm going to frame this

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

The order is this:

1 realize you want to try golf

2 borrow clubs

3 fall in love

4 buy a lovely used set

5 play terrible golf

6 take lessons

7 get better at golf

8 realize that the limiting factor in you game is your lovely clubs

9 get fitted by a professional

10 bliss

Edit: when my fit set comes through, you guys can buy my TM Burner Plus irons if you want.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

This is loving bananas :getin:

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Plz stop copying my twitter skills

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Rickie's girlfriend is smoking hot, but the two of them are going to look like a god drat matching leather luggage set in twenty years.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Flaunt it while you got it.

Oh most definitely.

Edit: can this young generation please show up and crush at the Ryder Cup pleasseeeeeee

EnsGDT fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 11, 2015

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

XL shirts are my jam if any are left!

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

I'll take whatever shirts end up not claimed, but frankly there is likely a needier golf goon that I, so it's all good.

Very generous of you to deal some stuff out!

I might have some spikes that are past the point of me returning to Amazon. I'll post them here when I get a change.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Debrain posted:

Any tips on how to choose from the various PGA Pro's around town for lessons? $40/half hour seems to be average price.

Googling each Pro doesn't turn up any review/videos.

It's always been word of mouth for me. My club fitter suggested I go see his guy, since he and I are pretty similar personality wise.

I'd say call and ask if you can observe a lesson or two, talk to other customers, etc?

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Emailed you about the shirts. My username and my email name match :)

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

thebushcommander posted:

I too discovered the joys of the bionic. It makes it feel like you're using thicker grips on the club also helps keep your hand from moving when you're swinging balls out at 120mph as I sometimes do :D

My lovely grip was starting to wear through the gloves I liked after a single range session, so I started going no gloves, and it helped my grip a ton. Forced me to hold the club correctly.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

UnionCarbide posted:

California golf courses are basically going to be Mad Max: Fury Golf in about a month, playing someplace with actual green grass is going to be a hell of a culture shock.

I've just come back from the future and it's grim.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

I'm testing out Tom Wishon's new driving irons (2i-4i) as soon as my fitter gets his shipment of them in. Will report back.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

I have one of these and it is my favorite

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

And while playing through various foursomes, I've had two different old dudes tell me I need to change my swing because I hit my drives too high and I'm losing distance... sigh.

Any guys that say stuff like that, just show them this:

Average drive height, 32 yards (96 ft). The pros hit their drives higher than they hit their wedges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Most old guy driver swings need a 14° or more loft to get even close to optimal.

http://wishongolf.com/3-key-specifications-of-driver-fitting/