Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Kirios posted:

Is it generally accepted that yellow balls are the easiest to find?
until you play the hole that backs up to the range and the range uses yellow balls and you can't find your yellow ball among the dozens in the light rough on the right of the fairway because you slice everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

AndrewP posted:

Especially since dunking it into water is only a stroke.

what I'm saying is, let me crank it into the woods for only one penalty stroke, dammit!

Yeah it seems silly to me too. Most of the muni courses I’m on don’t actually have markings for penalty areas so it is up to me, the self-assigned course committee, to designate those areas, and that means those woods and brush over there is a penalty area. One stroke.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Deathlove posted:

I'm in the Chicago suburbs and have a Golf Galaxy and PGA Tour shop basically catty-corner from each other, so I'll check it out! Driver, 3W, 3I, 5I, 7I, 9I, PW, SW, putter?
probably don't get a 3I and get a 6 and 8 instead (the 8 for sure imo)

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I got myself a Cobra King Speedzone Xtreme Driver (club names are absurd sometimes) for what seems like the pretty decent price of $250, it has an Arccos sensor built in and came with an offer for a free set of sensors + 90 days of Arccos premium, so that's a pretty nice bonus

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Making sure your clubs fit your stance and swing is probably a bigger deal than which irons you use, but there is probably a store near you that'll let you demo. Just be sure to take your old ones in too so you can compare your numbers right there

On that topic, is it just me or do stores tweak their simulators to play at like 15000 ft, my numbers always seem a bit juiced

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

canadianclassic posted:

hmm that's a good point I suppose. Probably need an actual club fitter to achieve that? I live in a remote location and was eyeing up some used G400s for a very reasonable price (online order so wouldn't be able to try first).

I'm not into it enough to spend 1200+ on a brand new set I don't think, but maybe that's the way to go if fit is the most important aspect
You can get a good fitting for around $100, they’ll try to sell you an expensive new set of clubs but you can say no and walk away knowing your length/lie/flex/style of club and look around for a used set that matches that.

That said if you’re fairly average height and don’t have abnormally long or short arms and aren’t trying to win your club championship, standard sized clubs would probably work fine, and you can match the flex of your current clubs (or adjust up or down if they’re too whippy or stiff), so if you see a solid deal on some used clubs go for it, worst case you can probably sell them to someone else for about the same amount.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I started this spring, grew out of the starter hand-me-down set I had, and i bought a set of irons at Gigagolf since they were cheap and let me do custom length/lie. I'm sure people have feelings on knock-off brands but I love 'em. I'm currently hitting my 7 around 170 and I don't think the clubs are limiting me at all yet. The set of new 5i-SW cost me like $240 shipped, which is significantly less money than I was able to find for any used sets that were made in the last 15-20 years.

I've since added a 4 hybrid from them and it also hits really well, i can hit it 220-230 and straight consistently (I'm playing in Denver so my numbers are a bit inflated). They give you a 30 day return window if you don't like em too.

Their website is pretty bad though so that's a strike against them.

wyoak fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 23, 2021

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Jovial Cow posted:

Pro V1 is softer, flies slightly lower, and spins less than the V1x which is slightly firmer, flies higher, and spins more.
tp5x's, on the other hand, spin less than normal tp5's

just to make things confusing

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I bought a $50 wosports rangefinder from Amazon and it seems to work, was pulling the same distances as some friends fancier non-alibaba special models. Doesn’t have slope but at least I won’t accidentally eliminate myself in all the tourneys I don’t play

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Very cool

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Is the trugolf mini accurate at all? I'm toying with the idea of something small like that (I don't have the ceilings for any sort of actual club). I realize it's not gonna be Trackman quality, but I don't want it to be so bad that it messes with my actual swing

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
What a dummy, managed to alienate all sides at once which is kinda impressive

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
KPMG just cares about him being marketable and since he's likely silently suspended from the PGA and the SGL is probably dead in the water they've cut anchor

dont say the quiet part loud rich people

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
They don't make NBA type money but that doesn't mean they're not very well paid, the 120th ranked player in last year's money list made over a million bucks before any sponsorships. Compare that to, say, tennis, where the 120th ranked male made like $120k - PGA also has a pretty solid pension as well as an entire tour just for their retirees and a whole exemption process for once-good players who fall off

Someone like Bryson is gonna spend a ton more money on travel expenses than the 100th ranked guy since he travels in private jets and rents huge mansions for his entire team of trainers, psychologists, coaches, chefs, fancy gadgets, etc etc etc

Phil's whole beef is that the top guys aren't getting enough of the pie (which from a pure value standpoint is probably true, people aren't tuning in to watch whoever Matt Wallace is, but he still made almost 20% of what Rahm did last year), not that the PGA isn't protecting the Korn Ferry guys enough. Also Phil is making numbers up

wyoak fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 1, 2022

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Kirios posted:

Uh, wow...Arccos is embarrassingly better on iOS. The interface is significantly improved and snappier and the Watch side is on a completely different level. The shot tracking on the Apple Watch didn't miss a single shot. It was incredible.

Guess I'm moving to iOS. I don't love a ton about the OS but I can't deny how much easier it makes my golf life.
did your watch battery last a full round with detection? and if so which watch model....iPhone isn't picking up shots very reliably in my long pants, considering switching to watch but if it only lasts 13 holes it's a non-starter

also, played my first round of the year on Friday, shot 83, beating my previous best score by 12 :aaa: Goal for the summer was to break 90, i guess i'll check that off

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
does a scotty cameron fix this

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I’m very jealous of you indoor setup folks

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
66 straight GIRs is incomprehensible to me

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Daric posted:

Won a set of Titleist 690.MBs 2-PW in a raffle (I spent $20 on tickets so not a bad deal). They should be here on Thursday and I can’t wait to hit them.

They need new grips for sure, gonna paint fill the lettering too and then new ferrules when I can catch a BB&F drop that I like.

nice clubs but my hands sting now

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Plank Walker posted:

even a small detour to the cart path is enough to completely wipe my memory of where my ball landed
Same but bending over to pick up my tee

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
get one of these bad boys
https://www.raccooncreek.com/golf_board_rentals/

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

MustardFacial posted:

One of the courses near me is closed for the year because they're putting an oil pipeline through the middle of it.

That's my golf post for today.
my slice is gonna cause an oil spill

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

xsf421 posted:

I’d take this further and say most rec golfers would be better served with their longest club being a 5/7w. The amount of people I play with who hit their driver 180 yards into the next fairway over is insane, and no one can actually hit a 3w. I finally started flirting with breaking 90 when I left the driver at home and started using my 3/4i off the tee.
most rec golfers can't hit a 3i though

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Daric posted:

The drivers are built so you can only really hit the ball one way (you can’t work it right to left or left to right easily like you could in the past) and the irons are built to be more “forgiving” which just means that even if you mishit the ball it’s still going to go just as far, but it will go further left or right than you wanted it to (generally this is left).

Justin Thomas, who just won the PGA Championship, plays an old school style of golf. He still hits it a long way but not quite as far as some of the newer players however he uses blade irons which are not “forgiving” because they allow him to work the ball in a lot of different ways. And he is very good at crafting golf shots to accommodate for different conditions, whether that’s hitting a low piercing shot to cut through the wind or slinging it around a corner on command.

Also, I’m using “forgiving” in quotation marks here because for the vast majority of us, mishitting a ball and having it go long and left is not forgiving. Most courses are setup where the safe play is short and right, which is what a mishit with a blade iron will accomplish, but the marketing departments at these club companies have convinced people that hitting a 7 iron 200 yards and 40 yards offline to the left, where there’s usually a hazard, is somehow better than hitting it 20 yards short and 10 to the right.
err, what? good players can still shape newer drivers (JT is playing a TSi3, idk if you'll find a tour guy playing a driver model older than a year or two). There are beginner drivers that help with launch or have a draw bias but it's still VERY possible to curve both left and right with anything on the market today (just find me on the range lol), shot shape is down to face angle vs path and you can't engineer that away. Also worth noting that JT also plays a T100 4i which isn't a pure blade, and a bunch of pros use those through their whole bag (or similar cavity backs)

Beginner GI irons have a bigger MOI and typically a bunch of weight down low so it's harder to generate sidespin and easier to generate backspin (which negates sidespin), and they're usually more offset so they'll have a draw bias, but it's still very possible to shape shots even with those. Newer 'player' cavity backs (like the T100) are just as able to shape shots as traditional blades. Also if you mishit a GI iron it's not gonna go further than if you hit it cleanly, that's just not how physics works, and "hazards are long and left whereas short and right is safe" is a pretty wild generalization.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Beaten with a better explanation

Re driver faces, TM put out a video a while back with their club guy assembling Rory’s stealth plus. I thought he said that the diff between tour certified drivers and the off-the-shelf ones were the tolerances - 9 degrees of loft on a tour certified head means 9 degrees of loft, but off the shelf might be 8.5 or 9.5, but I might be wrong

wyoak fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 25, 2022

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Daric posted:

Oh man, I just got the best news. I've probably mentioned it in here before but I currently have a Skytrak set up in our upstairs game room. It's not an ideal situation (carpeted floors, indoors, right above my wife's office) but it's worked so far.

The previous owners of our home turned the detached garage into a pool cabana. They blew out one wall, installed a big rolltop door, built a bar that extends outside of the garage and has its own rolltop window, and then put string lights on the "ceiling" (I'm using quotes here because it was actually OSB boards on the top and bottom of the joists to support a storage area above). We love the bar area but the other half of the garage never gets used because the string lights hung so low that there was only a few inches above my head and the bottom of the lights.

Well a couple of weeks ago I decided to just remove all of that stuff. Pulled down the lights, removed the OSB from the top and bottom of the 2nd bay, and exposed the joists. Then I hired a structural engineer to come out and take a look to determine if we could move the joists up a little higher to give us space to swing a club. He came this morning and told me not only could we move them higher if we wanted, we could actually just pull them out completely. We have a hip roof with collar ties near the ridgeline already, the joists were only there to support the storage area. We could actually pull out every joist in the garage completely and just add a few more collar ties to turn it into a cathedral ceiling.

So it looks like I'll be starting Operation 19th Hole Pool Cabana this weekend. I can safely move the simulator to the garage, stock my bar, have easy access to the pool, and I honestly may never leave it. Now I just have to determine if I'm comfortable doing the demo myself or if I should hire it out.
that sounds awesome, definitely post pics

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
3w is definitely the one that varies the most day-to-day for me

Some days it's the most reliable long club in my bag, other days I can't get it more than 5 feet off the ground

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
maxfli tours are my new jam, feel like pro-v's to me and and you can generally get a 48 pack for about $100

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
A bunch of the LIV guys have resigned from the PGA Tour, probably to avoid disciplinary action that could give the majors a reason to ban ‘em too

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
that makes sense, having your top 2 guys playing 9 holes apart but finishing at the same time would be really dumb

I hated how frenetic the pacing of the broadcast was. I have no idea of the layout of the course or any of the holes or which holes are interesting or anything, it was always just "golf shot, did it land in the fairway/green or not? next shot"

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Kirios posted:

LIV is going to probably blow up in flames in a few years but man I’m excited for the stacked field in Portland.
Stacked might be overstating it a bit but there's a few names

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
My Arccos putter sensor never worked reliably when I was using it, and then I got a new putter with a pistol grip so I didn’t bother with it

You have to set the flag location even when the sensor works, so it’s just as easy to add the putt locations (or I usually just estimate the distances on em and don’t worry about exact locations)

I will say I like Arccos overall - beyond just the basic distances, the strokes gained stuff is cool and being able to review rounds from an overhead view is helpful in remembering my screwups and occasional good shots

wyoak fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 23, 2022

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
you're either playing some nice (empty) courses or you're in the middle of BFE if sub-four hour rounds in a foursome are a regular thing

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
contact almost always suffers during a swing change, so yeah that's pretty normal

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
maxfli tours/tourx's are really nice and you can get em for around $2 a ball new, not quite as cheap as kirklands but their covers seem a bit more durable and they feel like a premium ball to me

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
espn+'s coverage of pga events is pretty good, but broadcast contracts mean they don't follow the leaders around on Sundays. Still, it's a solid on-in-the-background for Thursday and Friday afternoons while working

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I’ve been digging bustajack on YouTube, pretty chill vibe and they can play - they played with Micah from GG recently too

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
youd be surprised how much you can slice low irons
at least i am, every time i hit my 4

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
fox hollow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
No gimmies is pretty common if you've got multiple groups playing in the same competition, it prevents collusion, even if the collusion is unintentional. I don't think you're outright trying to cheat but if you've got one group doing gimmies at 2 feet or in and another group doing them at 36 inches and another group is all drinking buddies and they're just eyeballing things it'd be a pretty uneven competition.

and that scoring is standard stableford it sounds like? can't speak to the handicapping.

but yeah biggest thing is if you're not enjoying how they do things, don't do things with them