Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:
Hey Florida folks. I'm organizing a trip for my golf club to Orlando, and I'm looking for courses to play. I've been there golfing twice now, and I'm hoping to see some new courses.

The courses I have already played:
Falcon's Fire
Disney's Magnolia
Disney's LBV
Orange County National
Watson Course at Reunion
New Course at Cypress Grand Villas

Ideally golf should be less than $100 a round, but that's a very soft cap. I think the most I've paid at any of those courses is $80.
We're planning on playing 5 rounds, and I know that the New Course is definitely going to be one of them. Probably Magnolia too, since it used to be on the PGA Tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:
Thanks for the suggestions, they've been entered into the pool of possible courses. I've already got 11 people signed up for this trip, it should be a good time. Undoubtedly some will cancel, I'm sure.

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:
Woot's got a bunch of last season's iron sets for a couple hundred off, for anyone that's looking. http://www.woot.com/plus/iron-sets-a-little-too-ironic

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:
I played in my first tournament. Despite it being with 32 of the people I play with normally, my swing turned into a drunken corkscrew and my game went to poo poo. I didn't come in last, though!

It never ceases to amaze me how much your mental state can affect your golf game.

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:
I picked this stupid coin game up for $10 in a golf shop while I was on vacation last month: http://www.amazon.com/ProActive-JKC001-Ka-Ching-Game/dp/B0013V5HXK/

I finally got around to playing it yesterday with some folks from my golf club. Holy poo poo, this is the best $10 I ever spent. The game itself is pretty simple and could be done on paper, but having the physical coins just makes it so much more fun. Coins were changing hands pretty much every hole, there was plenty of taunting and joking about it.

I dunno if you could play it in a group of strangers, though. Might cause fistfights :)

UnionCarbide fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 16, 2015

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

DJExile posted:

The rules about golf equipment are oddly specific.

I routinely violate these rules. Nobody's going to check, as long as your bag is under 50. Last time I flew (in Feb, down to Newport Beach), I packed 4 golf shirts into an eBags medium packing cube and stuck them in the big pocket on my golf bag, plus a box of balls, a full ball pocket, shoes, shoe maintenance shite, and assorted other random crap. I think they'll use it as an excuse not to reimburse you if any of your poo poo gets broken, though.

Travel cases/covers aren't too bad to drag around, either. Hard covers can be kind of a pain as you can't take them off and fold them up to fit your clubs into the trunk of a rental car, but they do protect a bit more than a soft cover. Like sarehu, I did long term parking at SFO last time, which is practically in a different county than the airport. Usually I take BART to the airport and it's not any more of a problem there, unless I'm on the train during peak commute hours.

An alternative to shipping or flying with your clubs is to use http://www.clubhub.com/ which will rent you a set of taylormades and deliver them to your destination for about the same price as shipping via fedex.

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

runoverbobby posted:

I'm going to guess there are issues with pace of play on that course, though. Par 5s next to Par 3s are bad news and it's chock full of them.

Oh god, one of my favorite courses (despite this problem) goes 5-3-4-3-4-3.

The front nine takes FORFUCKINGEVER. All of the pace of play issues would be solved by switching the nines, IMHO.

Not illustrated on the scorecard: the loving ravine you have to hit over on 6 that I'm surprised you can't just walk to the other side across the balls that have been hit into it.

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

EnsGDT posted:

There's a video out there somewhere of a self hitting driver that I was going to link but I can't find it :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhCtkZbLpWs

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

Nerdrock posted:

Edit: the wife rented it on amazon for me, as she's being extra nice because of my current misery. I'd forgotten how bad it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHfYNF8Sk8s

TIL that Nerdrock's wife likes to salt the wound.

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

Star Man posted:

I just started a seasonal job working on the grounds for one of Denver's golf courses. One of the perks is that I get to play for free on any of the city's nine golf courses, but I've never ever played before (I was on a driving range once and swung at balls in like...2000 or so when I was 13).

I've asked my housemate who does play to show me how if he ever wants to check out the course in Evergreen. What am I about to get myself into?

Go do the Get Golf Ready lessons at one of your local golf courses. One of the ones you get privileges on probably even hosts these lessons.

http://www.pga.com/play-golf-america/get-golf-ready/get-golf-ready-review

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

JD Bucks 7 posted:

Hey, douchebag, people do watch golf even if this thread is strictly devoted to 8 posters talking about their game. That said, "Pepsi" (are you loving kidding me?) is an rear end in a top hat, but that should be a given seeing as he is a caddy for a Jordan-shoe wearing masshole. Jiminez had every right to watch what his competitor in match play was doing. The "Pepsi" caddy should have had MAJ beat the gently caress out of him rather than a shut up. Pepsi's job, besides not-so-subtly-endorsing-a-cola- brand isto carry a bag and shut the gently caress up. Not to interject his opinion on match he is not playing in. I guess Keegan got his panties in a bunch, in keeping with his LPGA royal lineage.

Woah, I thought I accidentally wandered into the F1 thread there for a second.

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

mattfl posted:

Oh man, found a couple guys to play friday and what do I see in my email, $39 early morning tee times at Orange County National?? gently caress yes please!

Man, the Panther Lake course ate my lunch when I was there last year. Worst round of my vacation, but also the most interesting course that I played.

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

mattfl posted:

Last September I played crooked cat and Panther lake back to back. I def liked crooked cat better, shot 80/81, let's see if I can beat that 80. :)

Yeah, that was my plan, but after I finished Panther at noon-ish, it was super humid and there were thunderstorm warnings, so I elected to go get drunk at Epcot instead.

Speaking of FL golf, what's the word on Mystic Dunes? They're right next door to the resort I'm likely staying in this year (Windsor Hills), and their rates seem low.

My current list of courses I'm planning on playing is:
New Course at Cypress Villas
Royal St. Cloud
Falcon’s Fire
Disney’s Magnolia GC

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

mattfl posted:

Mystic is great! You'll enjoy it.

California golf courses are basically going to be Mad Max: Fury Golf in about a month, playing someplace with actual green grass is going to be a hell of a culture shock.

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

Keyser S0ze posted:

Stevinson Ranch out by Turlock, CA is closing. Super fun course too........got way too expensive for the locals the last few years though ($70) and they were trying to build semi-custom homes along it at one point that never panned out.

Yeah, I think I have a voucher for that course I need to burn before they go under. Diablo Grande over in Patterson closed the better of their two golf courses too (they kept the one you drive past when you're coming into the housing development, which is a garbage course for garbage people). I think all those "out in the middle of goddamned nowhere in the central valley" courses are pretty much boned.

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:
Seems to be epiphany week, I just figured out that I was standing too far from the ball, which was flattening out my swing, and also that my right elbow had started creeping up. I corrected both on the range, and I seem to be hitting higher and straighter now. We'll see if it sticks :)

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

Keyser S0ze posted:

I'm playing down in Carmel, CA at Spyglass which I've never played before and the new revised Poppy Hills in two weeks
When I played Poppy last year, the fairways were faster than most greens I've played on. We were putting from 20ft off with no problems.

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:
I have a Clickgear 3.0+ and loooooove it. If you buy one, make sure to get the seat accessory and the cooler that hangs between the rear wheels.

Oh hey guys, since I'm an NCGA member, I just got an email for our super duper discount at Pebble Beach.

:rolleyes:

I'm actually playing down in Monterey on Saturday, but I'm playing at Laguna Seca for $40 instead.

UnionCarbide fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 18, 2015

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:
I'm finally getting my game back to where it was before I hurt my shoulder. The most recent change I've made is fixing my takeaway. I'm not really sure what the hell happened to it but it sure as hell wasn't a one piece. Apparently, I have lately been hinging my wrists first thing instead of turning my shoulders and hips, but that's mostly fixed now. The one drawback is I need to adjust my aim point, I managed to miss to the left a lot.

Here's my round from Laguna Seca GC, getting closer to getting back under 100 again. Also, not bad for not having played the course before.

UnionCarbide fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 24, 2015

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

DJExile posted:

Whoa, what's that Pace of Play stat at the bottom? Never seen that before.

I had one of my best 9 hole rounds ever today. Didn't even get a chance to warm up, just walked onto the 1st tee to get ahead of a couple foursomes and went to work.

Oh, I have a SkyCaddie, so it uses the time between entering scores as your pace of play for each hole. Every now and then it gets thrown off if you don't enter a score as you're walking off the green or whatever, but it's still accurate for the entire round.

Wednesday I was working in a different office in Larkspur, CA instead of my usual SF office, so I cut out of work a bit early to hit a local 9 hole course. I did the same thing as you did, didn't warm up, jumped out in front of a foursome. I had a decent round, 3 pars and mostly bogeys with a triple on one hole. All 3 pars were blown birdie opportunities, 2 lipped out and one stopped a half turn from dropping in the cup. :argh:

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:
Playing the new PGA Tour game, and some rear end in a top hat just yelled BABABOOEY on my drive :argh:

Edit: if you're so bored that watching fake computer golf sounds like a good idea, [url]http://www.twitch.tv/unioncarbide[/url] Stopped for now.

UnionCarbide fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 14, 2015

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

KDdidit posted:

Looks good, even if the reviews say otherwise. PS4 or XBox? Have mine preordered to pick up after work.

XBone. MonkeyBunker is my gamertag for anyone interested in golf shenanigans.

Heh. Just finished day 3 of a tournament with Sergio Garcia at the top of the leaderboard. Day 4 starts, it says "Simulating based on abilities" or whatever, leaderboard comes up, and Garcia's completely collapsed and isn't on the first page of the leaderboard anymore :D

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

Kameh posted:

You son of a bitch.

Edit - I hope my multiple messages throw you off and bring Garcia back to his rightful place atop the leaderboard.

Yeah turns out that they're not displayed in the twitch client for some drat reason. Although it could just be because Live is making GBS threads itself today, apparently.

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

I was going to walk tomorrow, but a cart's lookin' pretty good now.

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

Shrapnig posted:

Is that NC?

Nope, CA (just NE of San Francisco)

So I ended up walking, it wasn't too bad other than I missed the back of my knees with sunscreen. When I got back to my car it was 104 though. :supaburn:

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:
Guys. Guys. Guysguysguys.

My FL vacation starts in a week and a half. Productivity at work is at an all-time low. :dance:

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

mattfl posted:

Where abouts in Florida? I'm in central so if you need a golf buddy for a day lemme know :)

Orlando. My golf schedule isn't firm yet (other than all-weekday golf), but the courses I'm going to be playing are:
New Course at Cypress Villas
Royal St Cloud
Disney's Magnolia
Falcon's Fire
either Mystic Dunes or Disney's Lake Buena Vista or Palm.

I'm going to be there with 2 other folks from my golf club, so we totally have room for a 4th.

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

mattfl posted:

Also, they accepted our offer on the above mentioned house! :dance:

Goon Golf Meet at MattFL's place!

ETA: $34 for a weekend morning round? I am filled with jealousy, with a soupçon of hate.

UnionCarbide fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 30, 2015

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

mattfl posted:

I think a goon here has played there as well.

That would be me. My friends and I played all 3 nines on a Monday for something like $30 each, the starter said we could just keep playing all day if we wanted. That place is a blast.

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

DJExile posted:

http://deadspin.com/golf-child-christens-tiger-woodss-new-course-with-a-hol-1762651732

Tiger Woods opened up a new course and played the opening round with some kids. One of them hit a goddamn ace on the first hole.

Edit: not just "some kid", but the very first shot taken on the course after opening.

The pitch 'n' putt 9 hole course I learned to play on (RIP Grayson Woods) was PACKED with kids that would regularly shoot under par, mostly due to the fact that they ran a very well attended golf summer camp every year.

UnionCarbide fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 3, 2016

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

Keyser S0ze posted:

. Poppy Hills has lots of room off the tee if you are conservative but the long approaches will wear you out and the greens are rock hard and accept nothing and the greens are monstrously huge. I 4 putted the second hole so that was fun.

I played there last April, and was hoping the place had slowed down a bit. The fairways were faster than most Bay Area muni greens! Still, a gorgeous course, and a great walking course.

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:
Speaking of spending too much money on golf, I'm starting up planning for my annual September trip to Orlando, and am looking for opinions on some new courses. I've come up with some courses that look good, and have decent ratings on yelp or elsewhere, but I'd like opinions from anyone that has actually played them (mattfl, I'm looking at you, mostly):

Harmony Golf Preserve
Hunter's Creek
Rio Pinar
Grande Vista GC
Orange County - Legends
Waldorf Astoria

Courses also in the mix that I've already played:
Falcon's Fire
Disney courses
Royal St Cloud
OC National
Grand Cypress New Course

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

mattfl posted:

Hi!

Gimme a budget and where you're staying and how far you're willing to drive and I'll throw out some recommendations! I'm actually on my way out to a tee time right now so I'll try and reply later tonight or tomorrow. :)

Not 100% sure exactly where I'm staying yet, not booking the hotel/vrbo/whatever until july, as some members of my golf club might be coming along. It will likely be in the crescent of resorts/housing developments between Windsor Hills and Grand Cypress Villas. Basically within 15 minutes of WDW's main gate. My longest drive last year was to Royal St Cloud at 40 min. I'm comfortable driving up to 60 minutes, but would prefer less.

I'm also going to be playing dawn patrol tee times so I can go to WDW in the afternoons, if that affects anything about play at any courses you suggest.

If members of the club are coming, I'm not sure what their budget will be, but probably a $90 cap for one or two rounds is fine. Personally I'll pay up to $150 if I'm going solo. Most of the rounds I played last year were $20-60, with Grand Cypress New Course being the most expensive at $80ish.

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:
I managed to sneak out to play 9 at the course that's about 10 minutes away from me (http://www.diablohillsgolfcourse.com/). +2 through the first 4 :woop: . . . +11 after 9. :argh:

Still happy with the round considering my hilarious handicap, though.

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

thebushcommander posted:

Who was it in this thread that played "The Golf Club" ?

I'm one of the people, I've got it on PC and the XBone for some drat reason. Something I noticed: golf courses created on one platform can be played on the others. Some complexity is removed on consoles (courses I created on PC had fewer bunkers when played on console, and vice versa).

It plays a lot better with a controller, the swing mechanic is identical to Tiger Woods/Rory McIlroy.

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

Summit posted:

I keep my own handicap. It's a simple enough thing to calculate with a google spreadsheet and I'm not a member of any club. Seemed like you had to pay to get an official one. Does anyone actually give a poo poo if it's done this way?

It only matters if you want to enter a tournament or something, they aren't going to accept your google doc handicap. Some of the phone GPS/scorekeeper apps will also calculate an unofficial handicap for you, too.

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

Shrapnig posted:

My feet look like Stwart Cink's head, it's amazing.

Yeap

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

mattfl posted:

Speaking of Disney, I'm playing their Magnolia course on Saturday with some guys from work. Funny enough I've never played any of the Disney courses. Anyone played Magnolia before?

Yeah, I have. It's pretty tough, but it's nowhere near tour difficulty anymore. They just refurbished a bunch of holes last year, and all the disney courses have been in fantastic shape when I've played them.

Every hole has a sign that tells about something that happened on that hole during a PGA event. Also, be sure to look behind you for the pro tees, on a few holes they are a significant distance behind the civilian tees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:
Paging MattFL, Paging MattFL (or anyone that's going to be playing golf in the Orlando area before 10/1/16)

I've got a spare voucher for Falcon's Fire golf course I need to get rid of, for the low low price of $27.50. Normally a round there is in the 40-60 range, depending on if you're playing on a weekday or weekend.