Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
I'm heading to Vancouver next month and I'm looking for any recommendations for courses. I'll have a rental car, but will probably play with club rentals because I don't want to deal with lugging my clubs around the city. I'm leaning towards Langara or Fraserview for muni courses but I'm willing to play anywhere that gives me good scenery or challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ

Angry Asian posted:

If youre willing to drive out a bit to Richmond you should give Mayfair Lakes a look... Lots of water in play (think only 4 or 5 holes have no water) They used to host some big canadian tourneys there but not so sure recently... also they have a grass range which is extremely rare around here.

I took your advice and drove straight to this course when I landed last Thursday. Great course, thanks for the recommendation. The quality of the fairways and greens were really stellar

My rental clubs were the new TaylorMade M6 irons and woods. The connection and sound of the ball off the driver was amazing and if I had the money I'd pick these up in an instant.

I had two birdie opportunities where i was about five feet from the pin and managed to burn the cup each time. My score wasn't the greatest, but the two guys I was playing with made it really enjoyable.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
I got my second ever birdie yesterday at a local pitch n putt course! Par 3 tagged at 155 yards and my 7 iron approach was just over a club length away from the pin. I had a few other bird opportunities but the greens became tricky as it became hotter so it turned into putting on a sponge surface to a drier one.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
I went from beat-up adiboost sneakers to Nike golf air max 90s this year. It took two driving range sessions for my feet and swing to get used to them. I think the platform was a few millimetres higher than the adidas pair, so when I first swung with them, I kept topping the ball until I made a few more adjustments.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
Yes to upgrading clubs! I recently went from a second hand, 7+ year old Exotics brand driver to a TM Sim driver and it's one of the best investments I ever made. I can drive the ball an extra 25 yards with a slower swing speed than my previous club.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
I hit a new personal best with an 84 last week at my local muni course, killing my goal to break 90 this season. Breaking 80 should be possible by end of year.

We also got pissed off by the group behind us. We were just approaching the green to line up our putts when a ball just zooms by all of us, one even hit the pin from the tee box about 260 yards away. They did it again three holes later. I got the marshall involved and the group apologized later on. I'm all for letting them maxing out their effort, but at least have the courtesy to either wait til we're off the green, or yell out fore so we know what's coming.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
in order of most recent to oldest
TM sim driver, 56 degree TM wedge, random 5 wood, Callaway 3 iron, iron set from the brand 'RAM' through a friend, second hand putter

I wanted to buy a new iron set for the last two years but I've been lazy with it since I still hit decent with them. I'm mostly waiting for something to break before I get it upgraded.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ

MustardFacial posted:

Yolo round booked at McCleary GC in Vancouver because a buddy noticed a time slot came available this weekend. Each of us used a different service to check the weather forecast, each service is giving us a different result.

I'm packing for possible rain and hoping I'm wrong.

I’m currently vacationing in Kelowna and the weather says rain for the days Im free to play but all the locals say don’t trust the forecast.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
I played Black Mountain during my Kelowna vacation. Yardage is a deceiving 5200 yards from the white tees, but if you miss the green or even some fairways, get ready to see your ball roll off the steep hills. I was rusty since didn't touch any clubs since September and shot 109 with some rentals. My irons were connecting fine, but I had no sense of aim for a lot of my approaches. I also wasted a bunch of strokes with chips out of traps. It gave me some ideas on what to focus on whenever the local courses finally open this year.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
Had a decent round today. Played solo on a course that charged $19.21 for the round to celebrate their 100th anniversary.

Unfortunately our local weather made the course conditions pretty brutal but it’s not what got the worst out of me. I managed to land in a sand trap on the first seven holes, only hit two greens on regulation, but averaged 1.94 putts per hole.

I also threw my name down for a Texas scramble fundraiser next week. I expect that my iron shots won’t be used very often given today’s results.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
I joined a charity tournament Texas Scramble format at the last minute and the two women I was grouped with were a delight. Since it was only three of us, we got a free mulligan every shot to make up the fourth person. A majority of my tee shots were used, one woman was accurate with her chips and the other woman had a good read for long putts. The only time I was mad during the course was falling short of the hole-in-one prize for a new car. I should have clubbed up. The observers said I was the closest one at the time.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
Is there anything I should look out for when it comes to checking in my golf clubs on a plane? I'm only considering it since it costs less than renting them but I don't know if I have to do anything else to them so they don't break or something on the way. I bought a travel bag second hand, and I'm thinking of buying covers for my irons so they don't get scratched up in transit. I have TM sim2 irons if that matters.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
I got a perfect putting mat (endorsed by DJ) that needs some time to get flattened out to get a better gauge at straight putts. I sank 19 five foot putts in a row while compensating the unintentional break

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrAaZ79Yl8I

I played this course in October and I wish this video was available before I went. Hearing the banter between two pros and NLU, what their strategy is each hole would have really helped my game out. They do a great job documenting how beautiful it is, as well as all the dips and valleys the other videos couldn't show.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
Finally got my first round of the season out the way yesterday. I live in central Canada and courses are slowly opening up. It was at the nearby municipal course with some friends. I didn't get the best warmup and I really started getting in a groove until hole 8. I shot 46 in the front, and 38 in the back for 84 (+14). My personal highlight was getting on a Par 5 488 in 2. Missed the eagle, but got the tap-in for birdie.

My WITB 2023

Driver: TaylorMade Sim Driver 10.5
3W: TaylorMade rescue hybrid. Bought this on a whim last year, and I'm not sure if I like this club.
5W: Second-hand club
5i-AW: TaylorMade Sim2 Graphite set. This set made me love golf even more. My hits are more flush to the ball and there's some signs of backspin when I use the higher lofted clubs
56 wedge: TaylorMade, don't recall the model from memory
Putter: Second-hand, it has flames on it

Bag: Just bought a TaylorMade lite bag since it was on sale, retiring my old 17 year old bag.

Misc Footjoy glove, Titleist Pro V1 (I won these in a raffle), alternating between Nike Airmax 90s or Jordan XII shoes. I also have alignment sticks, and a second-hand Mizuno golf travel bag. I've only used it once, but it kept everything intact to and from Hawaii last October.

I also have a Garmin vivoactive 4, but I find the distancee isn't accurate in relation to the course's yardage from the tee box and other devices if I stand side-by-side with someone with another GPS item. It's usually 15 yards short from the actual target.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ

Shrapnig posted:

Awesome! I still have the ball I played my first one ball round with somewhere, it's a milestone for sure.

Me too. It was a Wilson ball with Patrick from Spongebob printed on it. Conversely, my first shot with Spongebob from the same sleeve immediately landed in the water.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
My lowest score for 18 is simply because the course has limited traps/hazards, no water, and all the holes are just straight without any dog legs. I add another 15 shots to my score if the other courses I play on have any additional degree of difficulty.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
News: I won a prize for having the longest drive at a golf fundraiser

Views: the prize was a sleeve of balls and a package of uncured ham

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ

Kirios posted:

How far did it go

Around 290 yards on a par 5 hole measuring 500 yards. I made it onto the green in two with a 5 wood but missed the eagle putt. I managed a birdie so that was alright.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
What are the chances someone here has played a course or two in Newfoundland and can recommend a course to play out there? I'm going there next week and courses are still taking tee times. Meanwhile, lots of courses in my city closed today since we're expecting snow.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
Thanks for the info, Oodles. Last time I wanted to play in the east coast was Halifax two years ago and I canceled the idea when there were 80km/h winds. I’m hoping it doesn’t repeat again during my visit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ

Oodles posted:

If looking in St Johns only, then the new Bally haly is the best by a mile.

Just wanted to thank you again for mentioning this course. I played it on Sunday for $92 with a cart. Absolutely scenic, challenging, thoughtful hilly course. You weren’t joking about the winds. It made the par 5 500 yard extremely challenging when it was hitting against us. The downsides were the greens were punched last week, making our putts often short of the cup, or dancing around with no sense of direction, and the group behind us taking a shot while we were still on the fairway trying to find a ball. We finished in less than four hours, so I don’t know why the rush.