Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
I'm looking for zero drop golf shoes. I have been golfing the last few years in my Altras (zero drop running shoes with reasonably good grip but no spikes/cleats) and they are great but don't give me enough traction and I'm noticing it now in my swing. Any suggestions? The first few google hits all look like dad orthopedic mesh bags or vaporware kickstarter garbage. https://truelinkswear.com/shop/ look promising in principle but I am worried they are closer to the latter.

Petey fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

pmac posted:

Agreed that their marketing is pretty lame, but the couple pairs of Trues I've had were comfortable and of decent quality compared to many golf shoes. They're worn on tour by a few guys, mainly Ryan Moore, who has some sort of stake in the company. I believe they've gotten away from exactly zero drop in their recent models though in favor of looking cool.

All that said, you might prefer a zero drop trail shoe if you've liked playing in your running shoes. There's really nothing about golf-specific shoes that you have to have, and I don't think spikes are that beneficial personally. I'd also guess that a larger company like Altra probably has more reliable R&D in their designs.

Thanks, I'll check that out too. I did order a pair of the TR-01s just to give them a shot.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Thank you very much!

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Did a fitting the other day at Golf & Ski Warehouse in NH. Was a really great experience. The biggest issue I had was that I spent the first 45 minutes not doing my real swing...just something psychologically about being in the CPC made me swing at like 85% my on-course speed and with a different angle.

I ended up hitting G410s with extra stiff shaft really well, according to trackman, and they certainly felt great. The thing I'm struggling with now is that the fitter thought my slice was likely based on me usually hitting the toe such that the club face opened, and so prescribed a 2* upright lie adjustment, which for G410s means buying their green dot line. However, we didn't actually test with that since he didn't have any green dot clubs to test with, and I didn't seem to hit differently with the elevated Callaways he did have me try. I'm curious if anyone here has any thoughts on G410s as a game improvement iron (I currently shoot in the high 90s / low 100s with a lot of distance and spin but a nasty habit of going way right into the woods at unpredictable times for reasons I'm trying to suss out) and of the lie elevation tradeoffs.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

mattfl posted:

It’s so pretty!

Also I got the new golf pride mcc align grip put on it and now I’m gonna hafta regrip all my other clubs because the align part of the grip is awesome.

First round with it is tomorrow!

I just ordered a 410 3wood with an extra-stiff shaft. I was crushing it consistently at my fitting, felt so nice and consistent with that low center of gravity. Couldn't hit the driver but that's a me thing, not the equipment. Debating getting some of the irons now but would rather buy secondhand and the market is crazy.

Petey fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 14, 2020

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

hi golf goons. i've been diagnosed with a very bad case of coming-over-the-top swing that produces a completely insane spin-slice on all my shots. i had tried modifying my grip and club face and swinging easy and everything because I thought I was just leaving the club face open, but yesterday a more experienced golfer I was playing with said that it looked like I was starting my downswing with my right shoulder (I golf RH) and as such coming across the ball and imparting just insane spin to the right even with a straight club face. and indeed sometimes I will leave a diagonal divot heading left even as my ball spins into the woods on the right.

does anyone have any suggestions for drills or heuristics on how to fix this? i'm not sure where I picked it up (might have been this tom watson driver video I was watching about how you can either drag your driver or, for more power, think about throwing it like a football??) but it's completely screwed up my game and I'm having a hard time unlearning it.

Petey fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 17, 2020

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

A drill that will help with both the backswing and downswing is to use a split grip, kinda like a hockey player. Your instinct to start the downswing with your right hand/shoulder is akin to chopping wood. With your hands separated in a split grip, your right hand is in a physically weaker position making it more difficult to chop. If you do, the motion is much more noticeable and you should be able to avoid it.

thanks. I was playing around with this the other day. it did seem to help but it was also so new to me (was trying it on the course out of frustration) that I was introducing different problems. May try it at the range though.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

a golf story:

last year I had finally broken through years of shooting in the 110-120 range (had never taken lessons, only golfed a half-dozen times a year, etc) to consistently get down in the mid-to-high 90s and was really excited for this year

my first time out this year i sliced the ball a few times and my dad said i should probably fix my grip because he thought my lower hand was too open, so i started closing it. then my uncle said he thought i didn't have enough mobility in my hips so i started trying to open them more. then i went for a fitting and the pro said he thought i would benefit from a stronger grip.

so i start accumulating all these things and tinkering and pretty soon i'm shooting 115 again with a completely over the top swing where no matter what i do (as posted earlier in the thread) i'm swinging diagonally on the ball. trying a hockey grip, trying a single plane swing, even trying a reverse grip (left hand lower), nothing is working.

yesterday i was hitting a bucket of balls before golfing owl's nest (slope 133) and on my last 15 balls i just decided to declare bankruptcy on all the things i had tried to change and go back to what felt most natural, complete with a comically open lower hand. i immediately started hitting the ball straighter; with a slight adjustment to close my face it sealed it. i played my best golf ever, shot a 92 despite some bipolar putting and losing two long tee shots in the rough the dusk.

the lesson of this story is: golf is stupid

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

torgeaux posted:

Don't listen to golf meddlers.

my brother, who was with me that first time, wisecracked "bunch of 26 handicappers out here giving each other advice" and then the next hole told me I was too dominant in my right shoulder and should try something something something

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

everyone was very well intentioned! and I do think I have a pretty strange swing (again, no lessons, and a infrequent golfer up until last year) that could improve given shooting a 92 is not particularly distinguishing. but it was just so funny/frustrating to me.

in retrospect I can see why this happened: to the extent I was coming over the top and swinging at a diagonal out-to-in, opening my bottom hand forces me to bring my elbow back and keep my swing inside more reliably. I have short arms, a broad chest, and tight shoulders so this is maybe why I need some unconventional modification. it reminded me of some drill I had seen about using a ping pong racket to train yourself of how your bottom hand should work.

i had been reading a lot about moe norman in the last few weeks just because I found him to be a *fascinating* story both at the human level and at the "how should a golf swing work, exactly?" level. still going to keep working.

re driverchat: i've never been able to hit a driver but I also never knew you're supposed to tee your driver up near your front foot and sort of hit up at it. I got a ping g410 3wd with an xstiff shaft and yesterday was hitting it pretty straight, very high, and consistently 240-260, so I'm both tempted to try/get a driver and also tempted to just take that as good for my level of golf right now and prioritize other things like always keeping the ball in bounds, my putting, and my short game first

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

I appreciate all the validation upthread about why I hate and avoid giving/hearing advice on the course. My dad and brother do it all the time and it’s very well intentioned but very annoying; I sort of snapped at them the other day about “yeah, I know what’s wrong with my swing, I just don’t know how to fix it and neither do you or else you’d shoot better” and they haven’t said much since. I didn’t mean it or say it in a cruel way, it’s them trying to be helpful, but like others said it’s just a sport that is a magnet for a very specific kind of mansplaining.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

I stuck my tee shot 6" from the pin with my gap on a 120 yard par 3 last Friday and the feeling of elation was soon overtaken by the "well that's as close as I'll ever get to a hole in one and it didn't roll in." never golf

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

torgeaux posted:

God hates you.

believe me I know. rolled 45 deg back-right instead of back left

Petey fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 28, 2020

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Anyone have any experience with the G410 driver? I haven't hit a driver in 6+ years, normally tee off with my 3wd or 4iron. But today I swung by golf & ski and tried out a G410 LST and smacked it pretty well according to trackman. They only had a stiff shaft (I usually hit an x-stiff) and a 55g weight, and the guy thought I was going a little too high on most of my shots. He gave me a taylormade sim with a 75g x-stiff but it was a few inches longer and although I hit it okay I didn't quite feel the magic.

It's hard because this store apparently doesn't usually have x-stiff shafts in stock for the pings so I can't try before I buy (or I need to go somewhere else or figure something else out). And 2nd swing seems like their Ping x-stiff stock is always pretty low.

(these were my three best shots that I sent to my dad to lightly troll him about my swing. But I was pretty consistently putting it 250-270 total and on the fairway, if a bit high until we took it down to 8 degrees).

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

mattfl posted:

See my previous posts but I just got the 410LST. I loving love it. I got custom fitted though with a very non standard shaft through so I can’t comment on the stock ones. I hit every new driver out there and the Ping performed the best for me.

thanks!

e: that post was super helpful, actually. The rep was somewhat trying to steer me to the Sim because when I missed I tended to miss on the heel, but I also just couldn't bring myself to like it. The angles felt weird and I didn't feel in control of it.

Also, I'm probably going to end up with a 75g x-stiff shaft so if you have any recs in that department that would be great. My driver swing speed was consistently 115 so roughly the same zone as you I think.

Petey fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 30, 2020

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Thanks! I might go back in for a driver fitting there. I just did an iron fitting last time.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Can anyone help me think about driving irons / crossover irons?

I haven't historically hit a driver, hybrids, or fairway woods because I seem to have trouble controlling them. I have good distance and loft with my regular irons; I mostly tee off the deck (or hit my second shot from the fairway on par 5s) with my 4iron to ~220 total or so with reasonably good control.

I hadn't heard of driving irons / crossover irons before today when I was seeing if I could get a classic 3iron from my current make/model of clubs to add to my bag. After reading more about them I'm wondering if they could be a good solution but it's hard to separate the marketing gimmicks. But if they swing more like irons, but with lofts comparable to a hybrid or fairway wood, I think that would be helpful for what I'm going for.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Kirios posted:

Where's a good place to try clubs out relatively cheap? I've been fascinated by the idea of one length irons for the longest time but too afraid to commit to them.

What is the case against them?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

DJExile posted:

Short version: they're a solution in search of a problem. If someone can't hit shorter irons well, having the same shaft length for everything isn't really going to fix matters nearly as much as they want to think.

I thought the problem they were trying to address was making it easier to have a repeatable swing by making it possible to stand at a consistent distance, and bend at a consistent height, no matter what iron you were hitting, so you don't have to adjust the angles of your body quite so much?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

My first post in this thread, a few months ago, was about looking for zero-drop minimalist golf shoes. I ended up going with https://truelinkswear.com/true-tl01/ and I *love* them. I really noticed the other day when I forgot them and went back to Pumas; it wasn't only the lack of traction from spikes but I was so off on my putting not able to feel the ground beneath my feet. Highly recommended. Going to get some https://truelinkswear.com/true-og-feel/ I think.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

I don't know what this thread thinks of PXG but they're having some pretty heavy sales right now, like 50% off all their drivers.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Daric posted:

So they're only 3x the price of other drivers instead of 6x.

Their drivers are now the same price as Ping G410s, it looks like...and their starter irons are down to $89 a club from $225.

Petey fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 2, 2020

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

BCRock posted:

I haven't hit the newest line of PXG woods, but all of the previous ones have been total garbage.

Their irons, however, feel excellent and if the price was competitive with Mizuno/Srixon/Titlist/etc, I'd definitely consider actually buying them.

I don’t know anything about PXG other than “monomaniacal founder and high prices” but a buddy just got a set so I set up a two hour fitting for next week just to see what they’re like. $50 (used to be free before the pandemic) so we'll see what it's like!

Petey fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Sep 3, 2020

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Hey thanks for that. I’m intrigued by one length clubs so I appreciate it!

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Hey Kirios — what made you decide on the F9 speedback rather than the Forged Tec Black One? Also, do you know if it is possible to get the shafts in x-stiff?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Bought my first driver today! I had been trying drivers at Golf & Ski in Hudson NH but they were short on demo shafts, so I went to Joe & Leigh's in Easton MA. I walked in and told them what I was looking for and what the issues with my swing were, and the fitter handed me a 9 degree G410 LST with the Ping Tour 65g x-stiff shaft, which I started pounding. We played around with a couple of heads and shafts but came back to that configuration.

I asked him if I could buy it and he said they were backordered with Ping until like January, but he could sell me the demo unit since he didn't feel the need to demo any clubs he couldn't sell. It was in like-new condition; he said relatively few people came in needing the LST 9 degree as opposed to the SFT/Max or higher lofts. The club/shaft retails new for $399, and used on 2nd Swing for $350, but he ended up selling it to me for $275 and waiving the fitting fee since I only really tried the G410 (as I asked).

I've still got to work on my slice (even with the LST and the weight all the way to the draw, when I miss I miss to the right), but my numbers looked okay overall (or at least that's what the fitter / my brother said), at least given my new-ness to the club, and I'm excited to practice more with it!

Petey fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 11, 2020

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Anyone have recommendations for insulated golf pants for cold weather? Something that looked like clean khakis but had a warm flannel or equivalent layer would be ideal.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

So what is the deal with putter fittings? Are there actually putt stroke tendencies that can be improved/corrected by particular heads, shafts, etc? Or is it all just occult magic and head games?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Also — just for the hell of it, I went in for a (free) PXG fitting last week at a local facility. It was very interesting and utterly unlike any of the other fittings I've done. The fitter was a very intense golf nerd, probably in his late 20s. He was the first fitter I've ever worked with who really wanted to geek out about the equipment and explain all the details to me, which, as a huge dork, I liked. He was very amped. I've never hit so many balls, tried so many configs of heads and shafts, or been so exhausted at the end of a fitting. I half wondered if that was part of the pitch...to just wear me down.

Anyway, he ended up recommending their gen 2 0311s with the ProjX x-stiff shaft at a 2 degree upright lie. The x-stiff shaft and 2 degree upright lie has been consistent at every iron fitting I've done (I currently play a decade old set of cobra s3 max's with stiff shafts and a flat lie). I'm not sure yet if I'm going to get them during this sale or wait and get some g410s later, but it was fun.

(yes I know this thread despises pxg culture, and I can see why, but I had a pretty good experience, honestly better than the other fittings just in terms of the dude's attentiveness and specificity and explanations)

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

DoctaFun posted:

Just take your time if you are only hitting a driver at the range. If you just go balls out you’ll be worn out after like 20 balls and then you’ll start to suck for a completely different reason.

If I’m working on driver I like to hit a few, then hit a couple tempo focused short wedge shots, then back to driver. And I try to make the bucket last a lot long so I’m not fatigued.

This is helpful!

Daric posted:

Your wedges will go to poo poo over this time, of course, but that's how golf works.

Can you say more about this?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Daric posted:

I've been playing golf for over 20 years at this point. There has never been a point where everything was good at once.

Gotcha. I guess I was more wondering if one kind of swing tends to screw up the other. I was playing my irons and wedges really well earlier this year. Once I got my driver/3wd, I've gained some distance off the tee (compared to a 5 iron), but also lost a lot of consistency with my irons and wedges. I feel like learning to swing a driver screwed up my iron swing a bit, and now neither one is working for me, as trying to fix one throws the other out of whack.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

first one on the course yesterday, 39F, played a pretty solo 18 in 2:10.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

This looks very familiar but I'm going to have to assume you're further north than me because the trees in Jersey aren't quite this pretty yet.

http://www.overlookgolfclub.com/ in NH. Highly recommended.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Got these for my birthday: https://truelinkswear.com/products/true-og-feel. Wore them out for the first time today. They're...insane. It was like golfing in socks. Almost too much so (at once point I stood on a pointy rock and winced). I played great, which may or may not be related, but I've never been so stuck to the ground. It was unreal.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

I want to like True’s but they’re all so goddamn ugly

Oh man I disagree. I got the Feels above in brown/grey and I'm swapping out the grey laces for navy blue and they're beautiful.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Now that winter (and my slammed season at work) is coming to an end here in New England I'm thinking of going in for an iron fitting.

Last summer/fall, I did a few different fittings, and tried a few different kinds of clubs out, at a few different shops. My best experience was at Joe & Leigh's in Easton MA, with a specific guy who ended up selling me a driver that I like a lot.

My plan is to go back there and try some of the Ping irons. My question, I guess, is does it make sense to do this now, or should I wait? Here are two things on my mind:

— whether it makes sense to get back into my swing after 3+ months of no golf (driving range or elsewhere)
— whether there is any particular golf equipment calendar I should be aware of in terms of prices/stock

I remember that last year you could barely get any golf equipment anywhere. It looks like Ping maybe released a new set of irons or two since last fall. I liked the G410s when I tried them, but could also take a look at the last gen; the biggest issue for me seems to be shaft (it was night and day, when this guy at Joe & Leigh's focused me on a different shaft than any other fitters I'd been to).

e: also — for those recommending the Kirkland golf ball, how/what does it do in terms of spin reduction? The best ball I've found for my swing is the Callaway Superhot Matte, because it seems to reduce my slice on mishits, but also stick to the green better than the Top Flite Long Bomb or other pure distance balls. But poo poo's expensive.

Petey fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 4, 2021

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

daslog posted:

So there is no evidence whatsoever then.

You absolutely adorable sweet summer child.

Presto posted:

You can't have people hitting 340-350 yard drives all the time.

Actually you can and you should, it rules.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Presto posted:

No you can't and you shouldn't and it doesn't rule. I mean, unless you want the future of golf to be nothing but DeChambeaus and the game turn into driver+wedge on every hole.

Why isn't Bryson winning everything? It's because it's hard to be that big and strong and still be able to be good at stuff besides hitting the ball nine thousand yards. I'm big and strong and can crush the ball but precisely because of being such a massive man I have trouble with sufficient thoracic mobility to keep my swing and accuracy on lock. More people trying to be Bryson will draw more people to be bad at golf in more interesting and entertaining ways.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

Yeah the original Kirkland balls came from a South Korean factory and were legit, the current models aren't as good though. Vice and Cut have each put out some really good balls that stand up to any of the top tier premium balls imo. I've been a fan of the MG C4 balls for a while too and they are always available for $20/dozen.

I was going to say, I thought I had recently read a review of the Kirkland balls saying they were a big step down in quality now.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

holy poo poo am i bad at golf. completely lost my swing over the winter and unsure how to fix. f.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

Apparently there's another version of the Kirkland Signature ball that released fairly recently, TXG did a review of it yesterday. It actually spun more than the ProV1 they were comparing it to. If you're somebody who could use a little more spin, or aren't consistent enough to really care about a few hundred RPM difference on your shots, these look to be easily the best deal around. $24.99 for 24 balls.

ElGroucho posted:

The version before this one was way too fragile. I’ve got a very average swing speed and was still hacking off pieces of the cover. I’ll probably pick up a box of the new one next time my driver swing decides to abandon me for a week or two.

Ah, thx, but I need to opposite of that, because I have high swing speed, and my key problem is insane side spin when I mishit.

The balls I seem? to play best with are the Callaway Superhots. But they're expensive so I'm looking for something similar, but cheaper, for days when I really suck. Although the last couple of times I've gone I've only lost a ball or two per 18 which is manageable...fingers crossed for later today.

(I love the matte red, but drat, in certain lighting conditions it will disappear from view in the air / on the grass like a stealth fighter)