Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
St. Andrews, Chamber's Bay and Whistling Straits this year :getin:. That's a lot of linksy majors, Sergio's year perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

DJExile posted:

Oh man that Whistling Straits PGA Champ is gonna loving own. Docta, have you had the chance to play it?

Also that is a great OP :allears:

I haven't played Whistling Straits, it's outside my comfortable range of driving to a course in a single day. I was within about 45 minutes of Kohler a few years ago and thought about stopping by until I looked up the cost and realized it'd be $450 before tipping my required caddie :stare:.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Omerta posted:

Played bear's best today. Never again. The course design is cool, but the greens have been absolutely atrocious every time I've played it. I got on for $30 and still don't think it's a good deal.

But one of the holes has volcanic sand in the bunkers!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

EnsGDT posted:

We had a demo day at my local club this weekend, and the Ping rep spent about an hour just with me, trying to get my iron fitting figured out. It was pretty cool. Guys kept coming up and being like, "Hey can I hit the one Bubba uses?" and he would be like, "uh yeah here. So anyway let's try some different shafts to see which one works best for you."

Not gonna like kinda made me want a new set of Pings.

You should, Ping clubs rule. I have the S56s and they are awesome.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I think a legit* scratch golfer would have little trouble breaking 90 at a tour course, given that the scratch golfer is playing from reasonably similar distance tees and fast greened courses. Maybe they would struggle at a US open venue or a tough Open course when the weather is fierce, but if a scratch golfer shoots 90, thats a REALLY bad round for them, and would put them like 20-25 strokes behind a decent opening round for any pro. Heck, when I was a 2 handicap I'm confident I could break 90 on a lot of tour courses. But I'm reasonably long with a good short game, if I limit my penalty strokes then I have to be hitting my irons REALLY bad to shoot in the 90s. I played here a few years ago:
http://www.harvestergolf.com/golf/scorecard.html, from the black tees, it's rated at 76 and the greens were easily 12 on the stimpmeter and I shot in the low 80s. That's NEVER going to compete with a pro golfer but I wasn't really in any danger of not breaking 90. The difference between me and a pro was that I was never in danger of shooting in the 60s either :).

The pros are good, unfathomably good to some people, but they aren't TWENTY strokes better than a scratch golfer per round. A pro will be a lot more consistent than a scratch golfer, but they aren't going to beat a scratch golfer by 80-100 strokes in a 4 round tournament.

I think a scratch golfer would hover in that mid 70s - low 80s area, with an occasional round in the high 60s-low 70s if they are really hitting fairways/greens and making putts. A scratch golfer isn't going to score bad if he's hitting fairways and hitting it long, it's when the scratch golfer misses the fairway and then misses the green with regularity that they will start struggling on a PGA course. Note that hovering in the mid 70s to low 80s is going to miss every cut on the PGA tour.

*legit means an honest to god scratch, who hits the ball long off the tee. Not your 50 year old scratch golfer who plays from 6400 yards and hits it 240 off the tee.

I probably wouldn't have broke 90 at the olympic Club US open a few years back though, that was nuts.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Angry Asian posted:

Hey guys, a newbie golfer here... I've noticed that to get the club flat on the ground I have to either, choke up quite a bit on the shaft, or stand far away from the ball with a very upright stance. Neither of these is very comfortable and my swing feels very awkward and clumsy. Is this a situation in where I have to get clubs shortened /adjusted? I am pretty short at 5ft 7in so I'm guessing thats why I"m having these issues?

Could be a weird setup issue, but could also be a lie issue. If the lie is all messed up on your clubs then it could cause this to happen. Take them to a place like Golf Galaxy/Golfsmith and ask them to check the lie.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I went to the driving range today, which is amazing. I think this time last year in MN it was probably about -10 out with 3 feet of snow on the ground.

I didn't play much last year at all and when I did I was really really inconsistent. Well I must say I hit the ball beautifully at the range today. The first shot I hit was a little half swing lob wedge from ~70 yards and it stopped like a foot from the flag I was hitting at.

I was most happy with how I hit my driver though, I had nothing but problems with my driver last year so I'm hopeful things will be better this year.

I would like to get a membership this year, but it will depend on whether or not I get a new job, gotta save up to buy a house :(.

But who knows, maybe this will be the year I get my handicap back down, or maybe it's the year I finally play a round with zinc?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I payed 9 holes today with my mom, sister and brother. A round of golf with them is pretty funny now that I actually sit back and think about it.

My brother plays probably 3-4 times a year, has a really pretty swing, but awful short game and not great control off the tee. That said, he talks constantly. During your practice swings, real swings, putts, it doesn't matter, he just has to yap, normally about everything but golf.

My mom is a total head case, she actually can play pretty well, but she hits one or two bad shots and completely unravels and goes through like two notepads worth of 'notes' from her latest lesson. Then it's all over, she's got a million swing thoughts in her head and can't right the ship.

My sister has played 3 or 4 times since high school(12 years ago), but has ridiculous club head speed for a 30 year old woman who's honestly pretty helpless when it comes to anything involving physical strength. But she got a hold of a couple today, including hitting a green from 150 yards away with a 6 iron, which I think is pretty dang good distance for a girl who never plays.

Anyways, any MN people probably know it was mother windy today. Had to be 15-20 mph with gusts up to 30. Absolutely ridiculous, I had one drive get up in the wind and start coming backwards.

That said, it was a really enjoyable round with the fam, I shot a 38 with a couple bad bogies in there. The course was only 3200 yards from the back tees, but that included a 260 yard par three that was playing slightly into the breeze :stare:. I absolutely crushed a 5 wood that was hit pretty straight, it started about 20 yards right of the green and ended up 20 yards left.

First hole was a short par 5 that was playing cross breeze on the drive and then down wind on the second shot. I was 170 yards to the pin with the wind at my back and I hit a PW 20 yards over the flag :psyduck:. It got way up in the air and instead of getting knocked down it just flew.

Pretty happy overall though, really struck the ball well with my irons, putting was decent, driver was a bit off in the wind though.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

mattfl posted:

Dad's 61st bday was Saturday so I took him to one of his favorite courses. Beautiful day out and we had a great time and he shot one of his lowest scores of the year.

Here have some pics and videos :)

I shot 80 and he shot 88. Neither of us have played for about 3 weeks, I should have been lower except for my one big fuckup on the front nine and the 2 3 putts I had. It's a very links style course in that it's wide open and unusual for florida, not built in between a bunch of houses. About a 45 minute drive for us but you can usually get on for about $20-30 in the summer, we're still in winter rates now so it was $40, still not too bad, free range balls to! For all your northerners still stuck in winter, all that green stuff you see is indeed grass. :)

This is awesome, as soon as you said 'very links style course /unusual for Florida' I thought, 'I bet that's Royal St. Cloud!'.

I played there with my Dad about 5 years ago while we were on vacation in Orlando, I much preferred that course to the other ones that weave through the housing developments. Isn't there a red british phone booth on the course somewhere?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Good news and bad news dudes.

Good news: I just got offered a new job at a new company that will be a substantial pay increase, better bonus, more vacation and closer to home/my golf course , so I think I can justify getting a golf membership this year!!!

Bad news: That means I'll be posting a bunch of golfshot scorecards and round write-ups that you suckers will have to read/ignore :getin:

I did go to the range last week and was hitting the ball better than I have in like two years, but there was some guy who was hitting next to me that just kept watching me and everytime I hit anything longer than a PW he would say, "Wow you're really hitting it well. I used to be a 10 handicap but something is wrong this year, I just can't seem to make good contact." I was polite and chatted with him a bit, but just let me enjoy this(most likely) fleeting groove that I'm in guy :(.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

zinc68 posted:

Excellent! Now we can get a round or three in this season! Where are you thinking of joining up, StoneRidge again?

I hope we can! Once I get my game up to snuff we will have to do it this year.

And yeah, I was gonna join StoneRidge again. I think for under 35 they have the best membership deal in town if you are looking for a really good course, challenging course. And it's on my side of town.

Only other place I was considering was Mississippi Dunes, but that's a bit further of a drive for me.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Suprfli6 posted:

I carried my 5i 210 yards off the tee on a hole this weekend and it really drove home how rarely I make perfect contact with my longer clubs. I could probably swing a 2 iron 10 times without hitting it further than 210. The funny thing is, there were some drunk guys about to tee off on a parallel hole and I was afraid I'd get beaned by one of their shots so I teed up and took a swing as quickly as possible. I was just trying to make decent contact so I could get out of the danger zone and hit the best shot with that club that I've ever had. Maybe I have a future in speed golf?

Speed golf is the way to go. I play so much better when I can play fast it's not even funny. The problem is you never have that opportunity in competitive golf, try playing in any tournament of any kind and you will spend a lot of time waiting to hit :(.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I got out for a round yesterday morning at one of my favorite courses near St. Paul.

My tee time was 9:45 and I didn't actually tee off until 10:30, that's how backed up they were. They had no starter, no ranger, no anything keeping people honest so it was a miserably slow round. All in all I'm happy with how I hit the ball, I had some very nice up and downs that kept my score low.

Biggest killer was the third hole. Super reachable par 5, I hit a good drive up the hill about 4 inches off the fairway. I'm sitting about 220 from the green with a pin in the front right. All the greens on this course are very undulating and extremely crowned. If you aren't careful you will leave yourself a very difficult up and down. I of course leave my 2nd right of the green, leaving myself a very very difficult shot. I try to hit a flop that lands about 6 inches short of the top of the green, hits the fringe and rolls back down. Hit the next one a bit too hard and it rolls past the pin, then down the slope of the green(pin was on a very small raised section of the green) and off the green. Then chipped short of the hole and two putted for a 7 :suicide:.

I left another chip short on 13, but made a 30 foot putt to save bogey.

Overall I'm pleased, my putting was solid, if I can continue to putt that well then I have a good chance of bringing my handicap back down. I almost hit every fairway too, the 3rd hole I was off by about four inches and then on 18 I missed by about 3 feet.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

zinc68 posted:

That is a really good score out there. LOVE that course, wish it didn't have so many blind shots though.

It really is one of my favorite courses, I love having six par 5's. I always struggle on the par 3's out there, my mid-iron play has always been a bit of a weakness but man you can get into some trouble when you miss greens on that course.

There are way too many blind drives though, I don't mind the few blind second shots on par 5's, makes going for the green riskier(holes #7 and #8).

Which of you goons were out there golfing though? Some dude drove by in a star wars T-shirt, pony tail, black jean shorts and a fedora. I wish I was kidding.

Nerdrock posted:

Edit : also this was my first round with GolfPad GPS along with the LG G watch. Normally I use my Pebble. Result : the best golf app for android wear, but the platform just can't really support that kind of use. My battery went from 100 percent to 35 percent over the course of 9 (slow because of league) holes, and the watch would hang / freeze often enough for me to just stop trying to use it for marking shots. I'm going to get the Golf Tags soon.

Get a laser! I highly recommend it.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Today was my last day of work so naturally I left early and got a quick 18 in :).

I'm getting a membership at the same course I had a membership at a couple years ago, it's one of my favorite courses and is always interesting to play.

Today there was a 1-2 club wind and they just aerated the greens, which made it interesting. My putting has always been my downfall, so naturally on a windy day with punched greens I putted absolutely lights out. I haven't had a round with this good putting in YEARS. Here's the round:

I made a lot of 3-4 foot putts for par, and made a couple 10 foot par saves and even drained a couple 15 foot birdie putts. Overall I really didn't hit the ball that great, but I think my familiarity with the course and a few drained putts make for a good score.

The highlight was the 18th hole, I hit a great drive and was left with like 130 to the pin. I flared one out to the right and way short, into a nasty green side bunker. I had like a 20 yard bunker shot into a green sloping hard from right to left. It's tough to describe how small the landing area is for the bunker shot, the green slopes hard from back to front for the first half, then hard from front to back on the last half. There's a sliver of flat green in the middle. Basically, if you were to look at the green from the side it would kind of be shaped like:
_
/ \

Except not that steep of a slope on the front and back. Anyways, I hit a perfect bunker shot to about 4 feet and drained the putt to save par(and give me an even par 36 on the back).

You lucky devils are in for a lot more of these posts so prepare yourself emotionally.

And Zinc, we should get a round in this year. I have the rest of the week off so I'm free to play any day, just keep in mind that Stoneridge just punched the greens(but they use like some air jet or some crap that doesn't have nearly as big of holes, instead it's like little slits. They actually rolled decently today.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

zinc68 posted:

For sure! I'd be down to play sometime in the next few weeks there if that is cool? I'd rather wait to play there when the greens are nice and healed since I rarely get to play that nice track.

That sounds good to me. I played twice yesterday and just got done with 18 today and the greens are not rolling great right now. They fertilized them yesterday morning so I think it's definitely better to wait.

Do weekend mornings work for you?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

zinc68 posted:

Yup, weekend mornings are perfect. drat, you're going to dust me, that's a lot of practice...Er I mean reps! I moved out to Eagan, so anytime would work since I can get out to SR pretty quickly.

Haha probably not, I've been hitting like 6-8 GIR per round and relying heavily on my chipping and putting(which could leave me at any moment). Eagan's not too far at all, we'll have to plan for early June, I'm going to be out of town the next 2 weekends I think.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
When I suggest buying used clubs I mean find a set in good to great condition, just about any cast club that hasn't been used much will look brand new.

I bought a set of ping s56 irons a few years ago that retailed for like 950 and I paid 400 or 450. They looked absolutely mint.

So yeah, I don't mean to say you should buy a set of mizuno mp30s that look like they went through a mulcher(although they'd still work just as good as new clubs for the most part). It's just that golf clubs lose like 60% of their value after being used for a dozen rounds.

The only clubs I get nervous on are woods, mainly because I don't want to buy something with sky marks on it.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I was out there today, the fairways/rough are in really good shape.

The greens have come back quite a bit, I'd say they are probably 80%. Definitely not smooth as silk yet, most are in good shape though with a few lagging behind a bit. They are NOT like playing on newly aerated greens though, way better than that.

The tees were also punched a couple weeks ago and inexplicably a couple are pretty sandy still, but I think the weird ones are on holes where you'd hit driver anyways. Those haven't bothered me at all.

That said, as of today they were still charging spring rates, which is like 59 or something, which is a good deal. I'd call them up and check on price for next week though.

I shot an 80 today with 40 putts, it was awesome. Not blaming that on the greens, just on my terrible putting.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Yo Zinc, did you ever end up making it out to Stoneridge?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I hit the range last night and think I had a bit of a breakthrough myself. I realized I was standing way too close to the ball with my irons(especially mid-long irons). I adjusted a bit and was hitting the ball better than I have all year. It felt good to make consistent contact with my irons again.

I hopped on to the back 6(our members range makes it easy to sneak on the back late at night) and played through 18. I went birdie(up and down out of sandtrap on driveable par 4, tap in), birdie(drained long putt), par(tap in), birdie(tee shot to like 2 feet), par(2 putt from 8 feet), bogey(missed 3 foot putt after great bunker shot).

It was incredible. That stretch of holes normally kills me, apart from the driveable par 4 I RARELY birdie any of those holes.

My putting has reverted back to 'blind armless man with diarrhea' levels though, which is pretty frustrating. I just have no idea where the ball is going on short putts. It's pathetic for someone that's like a realistic 4 or 5 handicap. I played the other day and shot 80 with 40 putts, including FOUR 3 putts.

It's really great to see a 3-6 foot putt that doesn't even catch a piece of the hole, how does that even happen?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Omerta posted:

Scotty Camerons suck. Bettinardi/Rife for life.

Older Camerons were solid, the new stuff is pretty *meh* for me though.

Also, paging Zinc again, we should get a round in soon. I think I'm going to play Saturday morning if you are interested(you don't have pms).

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
The thing is, I think Scotty Cameron is a ridiculously skilled putter-maker/metal-worker/designer. But I think in the mid-late 00s he realized the gold mine he was sitting on.

His putters became 'collectable' mainly because of the tour presence he had and the lack of availability of those putters. Then he created an off the rack business that sold some putters with a tour inspired design. Finally, he realized that the fan-base was big enough(and rich enough) to support just about any level of customization and accessorization he was willing to spend his time on.

Think of all the work involved with designing, engineering, and distributing a new line of putters every couple years? It really is a gigantic effort. Every putter sells for $300-$400 and he makes $x of profit on each one.

Now think of the much less effort involved with designing a headcover. Sketch a design, do a few prototypes, send it to A&E and have them make it. Release new ones every month to the Cameron collector crazies at ridiculous margin. When a new headcover is released there's normally a very small percentage that are rarities(example: every year he releases a headcover with hula girls on it, like 10 of them out of 1000 will have one hula girl out of 20 not wearing a top but covering herself with her hands or something http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Scotty-...=item35eaf4f201). These 'topless' hulas would sell on the collectors market for crazy amounts.

So everyone in the collector's club pays a yearly fee to be able to order these 'special release' headcovers when they are released(if you are fast enough). There is a feeling of excitement as this might be the time you get a special one and can cash out for a big payday.

Don't get me wrong, the guy is a genius and ridiculously skilled at what he does, but I think it's been like 8 years since he was just a putter maker. The guy just cashes in on headcovers, pivot tools and garage/custom putters now. He creates 'garage' putters in his home shop that will sell upwards of $20,000, and are very popular on the japanese market.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I had some sort of out of body experience yesterday. It was really rainy up here in St. Paul most of the day so it looked like I wasn't going to be able to play, but when I left work, the radar looked like it was going to clear up. I got to my course and like I predicted it was absolutely deserted.

I went straight to the first tee to make sure I didn't get stuck behind anyone with the same idea as me. I preceded to hit my first ball OB. Then I hit my second one which would have been OB except it hit a tree and kicked out a bit. Made double on the first(and easiest) hole on the course.

What happened after that was something I've never experienced before. I hit 16 of the remaining 17 greens in regulation, the only one I missed was after hitting my drive behind a clump of trees and having no choice but to pitch back to the fairway. I was just automatic.

It was incredible, I made a bit of an adjustment at the range last weekend(I must have hit about 200 balls with just my 7 iron), and it appears to have stuck.

Naturally I two putted every green except one so I ended up shooting two over(even par after the first hole).

It was the most fun I've ever had on the course, I've never in my entire life hit so many solid iron shots. I almost had a hole in one on the 14th hole, 192 yards to a back pin. I hit a 7 because long is dead there and it hit about 6 inches from the hole.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

DJExile posted:

I joined a country club :ohdear:

Congrats, give us the deets!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Omerta posted:

Nice. Chipping has always been a weakness for me. I consider myself to be a great putter, so getting chips inside 10 feet should significantly increase my up and down percentage.

How do you like to practice chipping?

I got a sick deal for a set on golfwrx: 52/56/60 basically brand new cally forged for $130. I have no idea what the grind is. The main reason for the switch was to try higher bounce wedges and get uniform length and swing weight. Also, these have s300 shafts, and I always wanted to try less stiff shafts in my wedges. I still may sub them out for steelfibers.

I hit the new cally wedges and really liked them. I hit a very high ball and seemed to get a lower trajectory with them. Plus I take trenches with my vokeys; the callaways got me way closer to dollar bills.

Count me in the 'good/great at chipping, mediocre to bad at putting' crowd(if that crowd exists here).

The best think about practicing chipping and putting is it's normally free!

I always play a game to keep myself entertained when I practice chipping. I drop 3 or 4 balls somewhere off the practice green and have a competition against myself. Goal is to get up and down, whichever ball has the highest stroke total is 'eliminated'(put in my pocket until the next round). One tie all tie for highest stroke count.

If a ball gets up and down then it's next chip is from the fringe(or a favorable location), if it takes 3 strokes to get in then the next chip is from the rough, if it takes 4(and it's still not eliminated) then it gets an unfavorable lie in the rough.

I used to do this for hours at a time and it always kept me interested. You also get a lot of practice on those 3-12 foot putts.

The best practice though, is find a buddy to go with and play the up and down game for $.25 or $.50 a hole(more if you're a gambler). Take turns picking a spot to try and get up and down from(this is great if you have access to a big practice green with lots of pin locations and maybe some bunkers).

Either do closest to pin or fewest strokes. That will help you chip/pitch under pressure, because hitting a chip off of a tight lie with money or a score on the line is a lot harder than just doing it by yourself on the practice green.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Some dude on the European tour carded a 17 on one hole today.

Perhaps more impressive than that is that he still shot 90 for the round.

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/13063603/andrey-pavlov-scores-17-first-hole-lyoness-open

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

thebushcommander posted:

Yikes. Seriously though a Russian pro-golfer? that's new. He's ranked 1,598th on the EUROPEAN Tour alone.. so he's clearly great.

I know that makes him sound bad, but I'd love to play a round with someone like him, just to see how good they really are.

I'm guessing playing with the 1,500th ranked player on the PGA tour would have me saying, "holy poo poo, those guys in the top 50 must be gods because this guy is drat good".

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
That, and courses with huge elevation changes AND long walks in between holes.

I've played a few courses that were cart only because not only is there a couple 100 yards in between holes, but it's also a large increase in elevation.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Furnaceface posted:

Im considering buying tickets to the Canadian Open as a gift for my dad. Problem is that so few players actually participate in it now Im worried it might not be worth it.

$60 to boo Bubba Watson in person seems like a great deal though. :v:

e: Oh yeah, second round yesterday was 105. Would have broke 100 but I had a 9 on the easiest par 4 on the course (2 drives off the tee into OB) and a 7 on the first par 3 because of some very poor putting decisions. Overall I am getting more consistent in my play which is I guess what you aim for to start with. I can work on adding yards to my shots after Im more comfortable. :toot:

I'd say go! $60 is not much money at all when you consider that you can spend like 10 hours out there watching those guys play. Even the non-star tour players have ridiculous game, it's a blast watching those guys hit the ball.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

aehiilrs posted:

Welp, found a good deal on some blades that fit me. Goodbye single digit handicap!

And hello.... + handicap?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
My struggle in the wind isn't that I hit the ball high, but at times I hit a pretty significant draw with my irons. If there's a right to left wind or if I'm going straight into the wind it can result in some pretty weird shots.

I agree with Kameh that 3 wood isn't any more forgiving than driver. I'd much rather be 110 from the pin in the rough than 140 from the pin and in the rough :).

My problem with 3 woods is I on occasion sky them. Most of that is my swing, but some of it is the design of modern 3 woods. Some are very shallow faced, which makes them easier to hit off the turf, while others are pretty deep, making them easier to hit off the tee.

I refuse to carry a 3 wood that I can only hit off a tee but not off the turf, so I carry a shallower faced 3 wood, which I in turn sky on occasion.

Again, a lot of that is my swing, but compare the face height of my 3 wood to my driver and it's a huge difference.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Keyser S0ze posted:

I also play from under 6,500 yd tees so there are many par 4's and even par 5's where you have to keep your drive under 250 and also take into account rock hard drought fairways.

This makes a big difference, I either play from ~6700 or 7000 at my course, both of which has very few 'lay-up' holes. The holes that don't require driver I normally hit a hybrid. But from the back tees I think there's only 1 or 2 par 4's that I ever consider hitting 'not driver'.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

zinc68 posted:

So I finally got out to StoneRidge this year for my B-Day. Shot a -3!! Much easier than I remember now that I can trust my iron play. I L O V E that course, yet think it is ever so slightly overrated. I think if they upgraded their sand, and (as much as possible with the small greens) brought up their green speed/smoothness they would be on par with the better country clubs of the metro.

Didn't see this post, so ignore my post in the Open thread.

Nice round! Did you play from the blues or blacks? I think there's a lot of scoring opportunities out there if you play the blues, but the blacks make it a much tougher course to score on(the par 4's become a lot longer, #5, #10, #12 and #18 mainly).

I would agree with you on the course conditions. I understand not putting a lot of plush sand in the waste bunkers, but just adding some sand to the bunkers that you actually might hit the ball into would mean a lot. And DEFINITELY agree on the greens, they don't keep them super fast although they do speed them up a lot for tournaments and I wish they would keep them that fast all year, I putt a lot better on fast greens.

Let me know if you want to get out soon, if you put up -3 you'd kick my rear end, but that's alright! We can play for a beer.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

zinc68 posted:

Def will play you for a drink afterwords, the restaurant looked nice! I played w/ my dad so we only played the Blues, and I could see how the blacks would have made a few of the 4's much more interesting. Funny enough I hit 6i off 1 tee, and (thought) I bladed my wedge approach. Got lucky since the green slopes back to front and ended up 3' from the hole. That was the kind of round it was, so -3 may have been an anomaly...

I'm having some minor out-patient surgery done on Tuesday, but I think I'll be ready to go in two-three weeks. I'll shoot you a PM in a week or so and we can set this up (finally)

Sounds great! Good luck with your surgery.

I've bladed wedges through #1 on more than one occasion. It's like the only hole on the course with OB directly behind the green...Definitely a gentle opening hole though :).

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Round in progress, +1 after 10, missed four foot birdie on 8, and three putt bogies in 9 and 10. Also hit OB on 6.

Sitting 180 to pin on par 5 11, will I:
A.) make eagle
B.) birdie
c.) par
D.) bogey

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
gently caress me, chunked 6 iron into fescue, hit decent shot short or green, stubbed chip, bladed chip, two putt. Double bogey loving poo poo cock balls dick rear end.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I hate you.

Bounce back or on the 450 yard par 4 12th. Back on track? Reachable par 4 coming up. Could be birdie time.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Just dropped a ball on the tee box and cupped it into the garbage can in my first try, while waiting for group ahead. A sign of things to come?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
40 yards shirt and right of the green in deep fescue. Exactly what I was hoping for.