Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Shxg-7hvxo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Shrapnig posted:

He’s in full meltdown mode right now and just hit a very attractive woman in the hand with a punch out and it was loud enough that the mics picked it up and it sounded like he hit a tree.

Ouch, didn't see the third round but I heard both Rory and his playing partner both hit the same course Marshall on the same hole.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Summit posted:

I mean I wanna be helpful but that’s an amazing round I’d be thrilled to have? So conflicted

My best round ever I had a single 3 putt bogey and I'm still annoyed by it 2 years later. We golfers sure are strange.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

daslog posted:

The solution? Try to hook the ball even more. Worked perfectly and immediately. According to Monte, this is because a snap hook is caused when your face is so open that you body reacts to save your shot.

When I hit a hook it's because I'm slightly over the top (out to in swing path), good hip rotation and a flip/early release through impact. When I go for lessons the Pro is primarily working on my club path, this is the hardest part to fix but it sets the foundation for consistency. Using the swing monitor it shows my swing path being -1 or -2. This is down from -6 or higher when I started. You really need an expert to analyse your individual swing and apply the appropriate fix. For me it was a feeling if swinging out to the right through impact.

All he then tells me is to try and keep my wrists quiet and have my trailing hand palm facing the target through impact. Doing this means I can't flip or over rotate the arms before hitting the ball. The body is responsible for squaring up the face of the club with good hip rotation.

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 5, 2018

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Holy crap!

Laughed at the "2 club wind" comment.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Shrapnig posted:

My summer golf season may be over. I can't lift a five pound weight from my waist to over my head without my right shoulder failing.

Going to the doctor tomorrow or Thursday to get it checked out.

This isn't a golf injury, it's a soccer one for the record. Landed awkwardly a month ago and have felt some discomfort since and then aggravated it this past weekend trying to block a shot before the game and hyper-extending my shoulder a bit.

Sucks mate :( Hope it improves, I hate missing out on golf due to injury.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Yeah I think you need to work on technical stuff at the range - get it ingrained. When you're on the course you should be visualizing the shot, making sure your aim is correct and only think of good tempo during the swing.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Bilirubin posted:

aaaaaaand league's 9 took 3 hours :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqIDGfD0ueQ

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
https://youtu.be/QT9A5wblj0E

Better than the last one, didn't know Kaymer was such a character!

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I like the look of Tiger's new putter. Haven't changed mine since 2011.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I don't like Na's slow play but he seems like a nice guy. Love his expressions on the course, his disbelief when a tough putt goes in is hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LKw6cj07Hg

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Patrick Reed hacking it up on the last few holes in the Scottish open. Euro commentators telling him to hurry up, hit a bad shot and get on with it haha.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Would be great to see her and J Daly play together :)

Hickory club challenge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgjymyhugm4

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
29th player to shoot a 60 on the Euro Tour. That last putt didn't look too difficult either. drat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY61LvD6nqQ

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

mattfl posted:

I bought this on Saturday lol

Nice, but what's the headcover for then?

DJExile posted:

son of a bitch i just noticed the thread title still works, lol

I remember when it was suggested and thought it was genius. Still is :)

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Weird, looks like it's for a blade.

I'm seriously looking at getting an M3 driver 440cc head. Might get custom fit for the shaft as I've progressed a lot with my swing over the last 6 months. Nasty push-slice is rare, actually have a controlled draw most of the time. Enjoying the game more and my handicap has come back down again.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I don't even have a putter cover. Don't tempt me haha

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Suprfli6 posted:

My Wednesday league was rained out for the fifth time in six weeks last night. I’ve still played on three of those days but my league is full of guys who are apparently terrified of water. It’s been a crazy August, by far the wettest I can remember. Looking forward to crisp sunny fall days when the ball actually rolls a bit in the fairway.

Complete opposite here in Sydney. Dams on our course are the lowest I've seen them and they're huge capacity. Supposed to rain this weekend but I've probably jinxed it by typing this.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Christ another happy clapper pro golfer. Why am I not suprised.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Suprfli6 posted:

I watched most of Tiger’s tee shots today and several times he swung really hard, had a recoil on his follow through, etc. It seemed like every time he did that, he ended up shorter than Spieth’s tee shot. When he was swinging smoother he was consistently longer than Spieth. I know people have been saying this ever since he started playing again, but he really needs to stop trying to kill the ball. He looked a lot more consistent yesterday and didn’t seem like he was trying to force anything.

It’s funny because I’m doing the exact same thing lately. Last week I watched a high school kid that was hitting his driver extremely well and barely looked like he was putting any effort into it. Meanwhile I’ve been struggling with mine lately and had gradually gotten a wider and wider stance and trying to swing really hard. Wednesday I stood up more and just focused on a wide takeaway and swung at what felt like 50% speed and hit 7/7 fairways and didn’t lose any distance at all.

Smooth tempo and good contact always trumps power.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

daslog posted:

Anyway, the faults.

Too much backswing with my irons. I'm going past parallel.
I swing over the top. This I knew.
My backswing is too inside on the way up, which makes over the top worse.
My back foot isn't coming off the ground until after contact.
I don't bend my knees enough. The arthritis doesn't help this.

4 of those 5 faults I had. It took over a year of semi regular lessons to correct them and I am a lot more consistent now and have a solid understanding of my swing.

I almost gave up completely during this process because everything he was teaching me made no sense. I totally understand your frustration and feeling of hopelessness. Thing is - it's very difficult to change muscle memory and bad habits in a golf swing. You need to decide if you want to go through the tough process building a foundation from scratch or just be content in what you have. Essentially the total cost in dollars for all of my lessons would be equivalent to a new set of clubs. I know now that I made the smarter investment.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

DJExile posted:

This is an awesome story from over in the journalism thread. Golf Digest single-handedly overturned a murder conviction of an inmate who'd been in for 27 years, only finding out about him because of the golf course landscapes he drew in prison. Guy's never swung a club in his life.

Oh man, 2011 is when they started looking into his conviction. 6 years to find him innocent. What a waste.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Finally, a 59 on the Euro Tour

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn_P83YHwk4/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1uyd0dwx8hban

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Welp.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Pretty happy with tiger winning a tournament considering his position 12 months that ago. FedEx cup was drat near impossible.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Yeah nah, not gonna happen haha

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Live from the Range and 1st Tee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znBYmyHyT2w

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Having fun getting smashed haha.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Amazing what pressure does to a golfers brain. Great to watch.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
https://www.instagram.com/p/BoYuFK-lwDx/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=jjwp9896ztu6

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Oh man this is terrible

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/golf/107553162/ryder-cup-fan-hit-by-brooks-koepka-tee-shot-loses-use-of-one-eye

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I do notice that pros and their caddies don't call fore as often as they should. Commentators are pointing it out lately, definitely a pet hate of the Euro Tour commentators.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Homestar Runner posted:

I'm a 3 handicap golfer and finally got my first ever lesson after 16 years of being self-taught, and already picked up about 5mph of clubhead speed via my instructor improving my club path on the backswing, and footwork on the downswing

The moral of the story is everybody get a lesson

That's awesome, what is lacking with your swing to make you get lessons?

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Homestar Runner posted:

Actually I'd been striking the ball well prior to the lesson, especially with my driver / 3 wood / hybrids, but there were a few things that I could see visually on video that I wanted to tighten up.

Specifically, my clubface was getting slightly open-and-inside on my backswing, for which I was compensating by over-releasing the club at impact (whilst not entirely clearing my hips) to prevent the ball going left. As a result, I wasn't compressing the ball as much as I would like, especially with my mid to long irons. So I figured it would be worth bringing in a second set of eyes to see what I wanted to work on, and give me some swing ideas to make it happen.

Now I'm working the clubface into a much squarer position at first parallel, and loading up my right-side better through the top of my backswing, so I have a later release into the ball and more balanced look at impact.

Nice. Yeah I always struggled with early release/flip through impact. The Pro told me to have my right hand palm facing the target through impact and release after. I used to have an early release and that simple advice helps get me back on track if I'm not making good contact on the course.

The other essential thought is to keep moving everything through impact. I imagine my hips as the control for the club face. If I stop moving through impact then the club face will be open and it will go right.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Hopefully it makes him play faster.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Nice to see some of the older guys win.

Stayed up to see Danny Willett win the World Tour Championship. He looked a bit shaky in the middle of the round with Reed breathing down his neck but he had an amazing last 4 holes. Love that guy, was hard to see him struggle for so long. You could see how much it meant to him to get another big win.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Wish it was a drinking/golf competition. Last man standing!

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Shrapnig posted:

Maybe the monitor's settings were off? That seems really odd that a surface that you should ideally hit after the ball would impact spin rate.

In other random news, my buddy just had his first kid so I bought him one of those blue Mizuno wedges in a crazy Rock Bottom sale (had a son, lost a wedge on the course but hasn't replaced it so it's kind of fortuitous) and I'm not sure I want to give it to him lol. They're fantastic looking.

Wow they do look cool. I need new wedges at the moment. RIP my bank account.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Shrapnig posted:

Apparently no one bought them because they have every loft and bounce available on Rock Bottom for $70 + the deals they're running. They really look incredible in person, it's not just a flat blue, it's like that weird paint Ford/DuPont put on Mustangs in the 90s.

My Scratch wedges (RIP) are probably good for another year or two since they're cast not forged but I wouldn't mind having a set of the Mizuno blue wedges. I haven't hit a shot with the club I bought my buddy but the weighting feels so good on it. The club came with a Golf Pride MultiCompound grip on it too which is nice.

Yeah I've had my expensive Taylor Made TP EF Wedges a few years now and I find there's not as much check on my shots. Really not impressed with the look of most brands these days. I have Mizuno MP25 Irons which I love so this would be a nice match.

In other golf equipment recommendations I bought a few of these Puma shirts on special recently and they're great:

https://www.golfbox.com.au/apparel/puma-essential-heather-polo-peacoat/

Stretchy material, colours/designs and a good fit for me in XL.

Thanks Ricky Fowler :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Even with exchange rate and $50 delivery I bought both the 52 & 56 degree wedges for less than my local online stores. Thanks again.