Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Miyamoto was sad during the Gamecube era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
mario

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Evil Eagle posted:

Metroid Primes.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Sir John Feelgood posted:

Miyamoto was sad during the Gamecube era.

Yo the GameCube era was rad cus nintendo was taking risks with each of its IPs, resulting in some mostly win poo poo, such as metroid prime and the wind waker

Please respect the nintendo gamecube

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
Yo! The X was rad and win! - Steve Ballmer trying to impress his teenage daughters friends

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Hoodrich posted:

Yo! The X was rad and win! - Steve Ballmer trying to impress his teenage daughters friends

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

TailsButtholeGuy posted:

Yo the GameCube era was rad cus nintendo was taking risks with each of its IPs, resulting in some mostly win poo poo, such as metroid prime and the wind waker

Please respect the nintendo gamecube
I wasn't dissing the Gamecube. I was reporting a fact of public record.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

gently caress this game and pm1 own. super paper mario was maybe the only game ive ever bought based on name alone, without knowing anything about it in advance, and im still mad about ending up with that garbage

i'd probably take a new actually good paper mario game over any other nintendo series at this point

conspiracydawg
May 14, 2014

Are you insane?
No offense.

Wootman posted:

Does this game still emulate terribly on Dolphin?

It looks like rear end, but it's playable.
Layering issues on characters, giving Koops white, empty eyes among other things.

If it's the only way you have of playing it, I wouldn't recommend against it.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Wootman posted:

Does this game still emulate terribly on Dolphin?

I played it a few months ago on dolphin and it worked perfectly.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

conspiracydawg posted:

Layering issues on characters, giving Koops white, empty eyes among other things.

I haven't had any of those problems. Maybe it's improved?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I played PM64 after this one and it felt like it didn't really do anything interesting until the last chapter with the murder mystery and mirror gimmick stuff. Whereas most of the chapters in TTYD had pretty unique gimmicks and twists on the rpg format and did cool stuff with the perspective and paper aesthetic. The first chapter is pretty straightforward but once the dragon eats the audience the game starts pretty consistently doing fun and unorthodox stuff.

Basically most of 64 feels like the first chapter of TTYD while most of TTYD feels like the last chapter of 64.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

conspiracydawg posted:

I played it a little while back on my midrange pc (i5, gtx 760) and ran perfectly - consistent 60fps at 1080p with no noticeable glitches. It looks really good upscaled too, with AA/AF etc some of the areas looks like they could be straight out of a current gen art game (Boggly Woods in particular just looks fantastic)

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Anyone who likes Paper Mario 64 over 1000 Year Door is suffering from nostalgia AIDS. TTYD is simply the better game.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Anyone who likes Paper Mario 64 over 1000 Year Door is suffering from nostalgia AIDS. TTYD is simply the better game.

yes

the first game does feel a bit tighter though. TTYD has poo poo like the gloomy town where you retrack the same places 4 times and some other poo poo eating segments, 64 doesn't really have any bits i remember being just plain bad.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Bobnumerotres posted:

yes

the first game does feel a bit tighter though. TTYD has poo poo like the gloomy town where you retrack the same places 4 times and some other poo poo eating segments, 64 doesn't really have any bits i remember being just plain bad.

Hunting for baby yoshi's in the jungle in Paper Mario 1 was pretty bad.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Judge Tesla posted:

Hunting for baby yoshi's in the jungle in Paper Mario 1 was pretty bad.

only because poison is annoying

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

yes

The doopliss twist was pretty cool though.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Bobnumerotres posted:

only because poison is annoying

That and Yoshi is also the worst Nintendo character.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

That and Yoshi is also the worst Nintendo character.

:vd:

RME
Feb 20, 2012

beat this again recently
very good put all your levels into badge points

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

viewtiful joe was loving awesome but it had ps2 versions

the ps2 version had some frame rate issues gently caress YOU

conspiracydawg
May 14, 2014

Are you insane?
No offense.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I played it a little while back on my midrange pc (i5, gtx 760) and ran perfectly - consistent 60fps at 1080p with no noticeable glitches. It looks really good upscaled too, with AA/AF etc some of the areas looks like they could be straight out of a current gen art game (Boggly Woods in particular just looks fantastic)

I must have an older version of Dolphin then.
Whoops.

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW
I should try TTYD again in Dolphin see if it works fine on my PC, because Wind Waker and Melee run really good on my lovely toaster but somehow TTYD makes it wet the bed.

conspiracydawg posted:

I must have an older version of Dolphin then.
Whoops.

Yeah, Dolphin is literally the best emulator out right now it gets better with every update.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

dolphin gets an update like every 2 hours of every day it's loving ridiculous

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW
It is pretty crazy. You guys should read this tho:

http://www.dromble.com/2014/01/07/dolphin-tale-story-of-gamecube/

It's a pretty interesting read about the GameCube, why it sold bad, and internal poo poo happening around Nintendo during that time. Extremely interesting and I also had no other place to put this in.

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

This game has superior partners to the first one, and the Glitz Pit and train level as well... it's way better than the first one, lol. Every part of this game except for chapter 2 and the lovely backtracking in the woods or whatever was freaking amazing.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

even though chapter 2's enemies and level design sucked it was very, very pretty and the music was chill af

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1wIIo4wiEI

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
PM64 is more like :yayclod:, while TTYD is more like :c00lbert:

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

One of my friends really hates the Glitz Pit and doesn't like TTYD in general as much as 64. I don't really get it. To me, TTYD is just a natural evolution of everything 64 tried to do. It's one of my all time favorite games.

1upclock
Sep 25, 2009

Taken completely out of context
Hey Nintendo, if you want to make Gamecube games other than Wind Waker for the Wii U, this is the one.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Wootman posted:

It is pretty crazy. You guys should read this tho:

http://www.dromble.com/2014/01/07/dolphin-tale-story-of-gamecube/

It's a pretty interesting read about the GameCube, why it sold bad, and internal poo poo happening around Nintendo during that time. Extremely interesting and I also had no other place to put this in.

this was kind of interesting, i read the first couple sections, and then i looked at the scroll bar. holy crap.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

mabels big day posted:

this was kind of interesting, i read the first couple sections, and then i looked at the scroll bar. holy crap.

I've read portions of that article over multiple readings for that very reason. It's really interesting but there's just so much there.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Silver Striker posted:

One of my friends really hates the Glitz Pit and doesn't like TTYD in general as much as 64. I don't really get it. To me, TTYD is just a natural evolution of everything 64 tried to do. It's one of my all time favorite games.

Your friend sounds like a loving failure.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

64 also has a terrible intro where you go like a whole hour and a town and everything without action commands. so you're just watching mario and goombas very slowly deal 1 damage to eachother and its not engaging at all

to be honest i almost threw the game out before they gave me the pendant that let me block stuff and deal double damage

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW

mabels big day posted:

Its long, but worth the read imho.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Im playing this again on my WiiU and its still as good as I remember it. Just finished chapter 1. The cricket noise weakness was cool, wish those sound changes were used elsewhere in the game. Maybe they are idk

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Silver Striker posted:

The Glitz Pit is great, even though it takes a little too long to get through and doesn't have a super dynamic setting.

Started playing TTYD for the first time last year, it's really really good. Got to the desert island and got distracted by other games, gotta pick it back up and beat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

glitz pit is so loving good. so much mystery

• Locked thread