Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

As long as it is bumped, everyone who liked parks and rec should marathon The Good Place.

Like, right now go and watch it.

Yes, definitely, I absolutely back this sentiment. It's a great show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

As long as it is bumped, everyone who liked parks and rec should marathon The Good Place.

Like, right now go and watch it.

:agreed:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

thexerox123 posted:

Yes, definitely, I absolutely back this sentiment. It's a great show.

I started watching the show based only on its creator. Stacked up 5 episodes and watched em all in a night. Then I was bummed I couldn't watch more. Watched week to week after it. I had it as a top 3 show of 2016 as it went into hiatus. Then the end run of season one cemented it as the best 1st season of a comedy since arrested development. Parks fans need to get on that poo poo without a doubt. It's all up on hulu plus. Enjoy the binge if you haven't seen it yet.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Eat This Glob posted:

I started watching the show based only on its creator. Stacked up 5 episodes and watched em all in a night. Then I was bummed I couldn't watch more. Watched week to week after it. I had it as a top 3 show of 2016 as it went into hiatus. Then the end run of season one cemented it as the best 1st season of a comedy since arrested development. Parks fans need to get on that poo poo without a doubt. It's all up on hulu plus. Enjoy the binge if you haven't seen it yet.

Some bold claims going on in this thread. If the show is that good, I'll have to check it out.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

Some bold claims going on in this thread. If the show is that good, I'll have to check it out.

Almost every episode you will think you have the show figured out but it will continue to evolve and surprise you.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Hughmoris posted:

It was not said lightly. And I didn't say better than, just best 1st season since AD. Read nothing about it, just enjoy.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Eat This Glob posted:

It was not said lightly. And I didn't say better than, just best 1st season since AD. Read nothing about it, just enjoy.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine would like to say hello to you.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
No it wouldn't.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

Brooklyn Nine-Nine would like to say hello to you.

I really, really like Brooklyn nine nine. If a parks and rec fan hasn't seen that show, I second your recommendation. But it's a couple or a few rungs below what AD and the good place accomplished in season one, imo.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
A FEW RUNGS BELOW, NAME OF AMY'S SEX TAPE

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Spoeank posted:

A FEW RUNGS BELOW, NAME OF AMY'S SEX TAPE

I can't think of a pithy response that can't be the name of Amy's sex tape, so I'll just say: well done.

and you can't play "a pithy response" or "say: well done"

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Brooklyn Nine-Nine (also a Michael Schur show) is really loving good and I can't say enough good things about it, but The Good Place is still a better first season

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I think the good place had a really strong concept and a short-season order and they absolutely executed on it. I'm struggling to think of a show that disproves the postulation earlier that it's the strongest first season since Arrested Development. The only one for me that comes close is Community Season 1, which was at times up and down but was solid overall, and included one of the greatest all-time comedy episodes.

I would say that The Good Place executed its concept better. I don't know if I had as many laugh-out-loud moments during my marathon of season 1, but it was a stronger overall season.

Lost Canyoneer
Nov 1, 2009
Okay, I'm convinced, thanks.

I will definitely check out The Good Place to try to fill the void in my soul left by the demise of Parks & Recreation.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Minor spoiler: Adam Scott guest stars.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

ETB posted:

Minor spoiler: Adam Scott guest stars.

So does Eagleton councilwoman Ingrid de Forest.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

So does Eagleton councilwoman Ingrid de Forest.

Boooo Eagleton :barf:

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Every time i've tried watching arrested development i couldnt give a poo poo about any of the characters and found it boring

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
you're going back to 30 rock for best first season of a comedy since AD but yeah the good place is quite excellent.

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Every time i've tried watching arrested development i couldnt give a poo poo about any of the characters and found it boring

I mean, try again? It's brilliant. every character is so good, I couldn't possibly pick a favourite. I mean, you're not really supposed to like them, they're horrible people like seinfeld, but that's where the humour comes from.

edit: I remember back in the day the show tended to be a bit inscrutable to people until they hit pier pressure (ep 8 or 9 or so) and then it totally clicked and they could go back and watch previous episodes with the same level of enjoyment. so get to that one at least.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 29, 2017

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

I agree. Arrested Development is the most overrated "good" show of all time. Jason Bateman is the worst.

Edit - Not show, comedy specifically.

Super Deuce fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 29, 2017

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Did you watch past the first few episodes? Never judge a show by its first few episodes.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Did you watch past the first few episodes? Never judge a show by its first few episodes.

I have, but regardless, does that mean I'd have to read the entirety of a book series to say it's not good? I mean, the first few episodes are exactly what you should judge a show by.

The first few episodes of Parks are what I used to judge Parks, because seasons 5 and 6 were awful.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Yeah, this thread wouldn't exist based on Parks and Rec's first few episodes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Super Deuce posted:

I have, but regardless, does that mean I'd have to read the entirety of a book series to say it's not good? I mean, the first few episodes are exactly what you should judge a show by.

The first few episodes of Parks are what I used to judge Parks, because seasons 5 and 6 were awful.

Happy Endings would like a word with you as the first few episodes are nothing like the rest of the show. Cougar Town too.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Watched all 13 episodes of The Good Place over the last few days thanks to the reminder in this thread of its existence. Was not disappointed. Looking forward to a second season.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Merauder posted:

Watched all 13 episodes of The Good Place over the last few days thanks to the reminder in this thread of its existence. Was not disappointed. Looking forward to a second season.

Same. Great season finale, waiting for season 2 now.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I would say that more often than not, the first few episodes of most sitcoms are always a little rocky and rough around the edges, whether because they haven't found their voice yet or they're trying to ease the viewer in with something more basic and familiar before diving in, or something else.

You can use them to gauge whether or not the show is your style, but they shouldn't be used for considering if the show is overrated or not.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I would say that more often than not, the first few episodes of most sitcoms are always a little rocky and rough around the edges, whether because they haven't found their voice yet or they're trying to ease the viewer in with something more basic and familiar before diving in, or something else.

You can use them to gauge whether or not the show is your style, but they shouldn't be used for considering if the show is overrated or not.

Bees?!?!

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Beads.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Super Deuce posted:

I think episodes are closer to chapters than entire book.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Beads?!

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Wtf? There are people that don't like Arrested Development's first season? Parks and Rec's first season was far weaker by comparison. (When they hadn't figured out their format yet and were trying too hard to be The Office 2.0.)

NoDamage fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 30, 2017

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Livid's not on board.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I can definitely understand people not liking AD who are fans of P&R, because it's a very different show. It's less laugh-out-loud funny, it's more of a slow burn, it's about bad people rather than good ones, etc.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

FactsAreUseless posted:

it's about bad people rather than good ones, etc.

This is the part that kills it for me. P&r is about people who are good, even if they pretend not to be.

Pluuuuuuus AD starts from the premise of giving your family a chance because they're family and gently caress that noise

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Pluuuuuuus AD starts from the premise of giving your family a chance because they're family and gently caress that noise

But the series as a whole is largely about tearing that concept down.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Chiming in that The Good Place is really good and required viewing for anyone who liked P&R

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Merauder posted:

Livid's not on board.

Her?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

thexerox123 posted:

But the series as a whole is largely about tearing that concept down.

Yeah everyone is a selfish rear end in a top hat, but also they totally do care about one another when it comes down to it. I love P&R but the better part of AD is much stronger in my opinion.

Though it did also take two viewings of the first season for me to really get into it. It's a weird show, there's nothing else quite like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
if you cant laugh at this we're not friends

• Locked thread