Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Let's hope the last season can go out on a high note. At the least, better than the last two seasons. Trailers look promising so far, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Looking through season 2 list now, Hunting Trip and Telethon both stand out as potentially good starting-off episodes (though I haven't rewatched either in a while so maybe there's interactions in there that you'd need to be caught up on).

I'm not sure if I'd say End of the World is a good "intro" episode but it's definitely one of my favorites. The whole contemplative tone of the episode was really enjoyable for me and it still stands out as a unique-feeling episode.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Zedd posted:

Jean-Ralphio invited her to the E720 bankruptcy party (unknowing she was Tom's ex) and they reconnected, but she was moving out of town.

Where she said the most unrealistic bit of dialogue in the entirety of Parks and Rec:

"Grad school's a lot of fun."

I mean, next to that, Kevin James as Jason Bourne is completely believable.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

fount of knowledge posted:

See, it's funny because I feel in this and the last season the show actually did the opposite and dialed Leslie's self-righteousness up 300%, to the point where it's almost as grating as season 1 Leslie used to be. It honestly makes it a lot harder to root for her compared to the earlier seasons. Case in point, pretty much any plot last season that involved her getting in a fight with Ben was handled in a way that made me feel way more cringey than amused.

I have to say I feel the same way, though at least in these first two episodes it only emerged a couple times.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

smackfu posted:

Dumb question, I thought there was a previous plot that ended with her realizing she loved animals. Whatever happened with that?

She went to veterinarian school and then quit for reasons.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Zedd posted:

Both mark and early s3 Ben+chris (when he didnt show his fun side as leslie would say) would be too much but outside of that mark was fine.

It's funny to think back to when Ben & Chris were introduced and people were wondering if Chris's affability was just this calculating cover to let Ben take the heat for all the terrible things they would do to a town.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

This whole season has been some of the worst television I've willfully subjected myself to in as long as I can remember. I hate to be so negative, but I think at this point they have just completely forgotten what made the show good in the first place and it's rarely funny and sappy as hell. They should have ended it 2 years ago. Good riddance.

In a world where Dexter exists, there is no way this is anything close to the worst final season of a TV show.

I actually agree with people who think that the last two seasons of P&R became increasingly poorly done, but I've been liking the finale season so far since, between it being the final and the time jump, it's actually been able to have things happen and resolve things in ways that really stand in contrast to how much wheel-spinning and resetting in seasons 5-6 (that being said, I guess they kind of forgot about Ben running for Congress?) It's like in season 7 of The Office when, with Steve Carell leaving, they were actually able to do satisfying things with Michael and show him growing.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

whatever7 posted:

In the Swanson chapter of Offerman's book he said Mike wanted him from the start in the show due to his older auditions that didn't pan out. Both him and Adam Scott did a "chemistry reading" with Rashida Jones, I assume for a role somewhere between Andy and Mark? NBC outright rejected it, said they want someone more handsome.

Mike Schur went back and said okey okey we still want Offerman for a different role, as Amy's boss. The NBC suits said Offerman was not old enough and kept doing casting calls for this role. In the end it came down to a final audition between him and Michael OMalley (sp? I don't know this guy). Offerman found out later Mike and Greg didn't even hand in the other guy's tape to NBC, only his tape. So you can say Offerman own the P&R creative guys a big favorite.

I like his casting stories, even though they are kind of repeatitive. Reminds me of the first season of Party Down.

This makes me think of the casting auditions for The Office that got released. Of relevance for this thread, Kathryn Hahn for Pam, Patton Oswalt for Dwight, and Adam Scott for Jim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KP3Hxi7Cz4

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

The fun thing is that The Office evolved in practically the same way. A super short first season that didn't really work but showed signs of greatness (for Office this was generally where they went ahead with their own ideas, rather than try localise the British scripts, then 2x01 for both shows was a revelation.

I think this was actually a requirement from either the BBC or Merchant/Gervais for the adaptation, that at first they follow the British version exactly. I know for the Israeli version, they were actually required to directly adapt the first three episodes of the original Office before they could do their own thing.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Veep and Party Down are brilliant and hysterically funny workplace comedies, but they're almost opposite of Parks and Recreation in terms of that feel-good tone because most of the co-workers on both shows loving hate each other.

I actually don't think most characters on Party Down hate each other. For example how Roman and Kyle poo poo on each other, but there are plenty of examples where they get along as well, or how Kyle was always close with Jane Lynch's character.

Usually more than anything it's them all hating their clients.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Reiche posted:

It was a wonderful surprise to see Jim O'Heir in the Quarantine episode of It's Always Sunny and I really hope he gets more significant roles because he was outstanding throughout Park's entire run.

He had a three-second cameo in Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, but it consisted of him yelling "Dammit, Wally!" so I was glad he finally got to yell dammit to someone else.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I only now realized it made perfect sense for Andy to stay with Peter Serafinowicz in London, since he was also in Guardians of the Galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's a very tough decision, but if I had to pick just one, it might be End of the World for my favorite episode.

• Locked thread