Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

bobkatt013 posted:

A good episode to start a newbie with is Ron and Tammy part 1.

I couldn't disagree more about this. You really need to get to know Ron's character before you see an episode completely breaking it apart. I mean, obviously he starts off the episode being normal Ron, but I feel you need his character built up over multiple episodes (or any of the characters really).

It's hard to suggest which episode is best for a newbie to experience first though. It's easy to say none of the first season, but less cause they're not very good episodes in general, and more just because the characters haven't been fully defined yet. It's not til season 2 that we really get Leslie developing out of Girl Michael Scott, Andy goes from rear end in a top hat boyfriend to loveable idiot, and the other characters are pretty rusty too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

pzy posted:

I hope this season is Roseanne-wins-the-lottery bonkers

The preview made it seem like they are going to have a lot of fun with the show being set in the future

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Adulthood is not signified by adherence to corporate branding guidelines

Is this a product placement complaint cause if so jesus christ

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

You don't think "Well April and Andy are adults now, so they've started referring to all products by their full trademarked names?" is an insane point for someone to try and make? All I did was vaguely recall a line where I wondered if it was product placement, someone helped me remember that it was this line, and then goons started gooning because gently caress me for having a vague inkling that one single sentence in this show might be less than perfect I guess.

I think complaining about product placement is silly, in general.

Guy A. Person posted:

I asked my wife for a Kleenex today instead of a facial tissue even though the actual brand we use is Puffs. Oh god, I am a monster!

Please just say "tissue" in the future. This product placement is taking me out of the forum experience.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

This part was completely awesome. The way it was shot, the lightning and the rain, the look of hatred in his eyes, everything about that part was so good. Like I literally said "oh gently caress" out loud when Ron says "the package was addressed to my son"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

King of Foolians posted:

Actually she only got into Veterinarian school and then never went (except orientation) for reasons.

Cause college is just as boring and full of pointless homework as high school, April of all characters wouldn't stick around for that poo poo

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

Can you please explain what was funny about any of the 'treat yo'self' stuff from this week?

What the gently caress

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Tom and Donna as a pair are some of my favorite moments of the show.

All the characters are good :colbert:

inthesto posted:

Even before they started to beat on the "Ben is a giant nerd" drum and completely got rid of Mark, Ben was a much better replacement straight man.

P&R deserves some kind of reward for how accurate to real life of a nerd they made Ben. I've never seen a more believably written nerd character on TV.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 3, 2015

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

"Hey Andy. What a surprise running into you all day, every day, every single place that we are." is still one of my favorite lines in the show

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

inthesto posted:

Mark's primary problem was that he was the straight man in a show that didn't need a straight man.

I get the sense they were trying to recreate Jim from The Office without quite understanding why Jim worked. In a show where two of the leads are so disconnected from reality that they would be dead in real life, you need Jim as the sane guy that viewers can relate to. The problem is that Mark doesn't exist in a show where everyone manages to hold down jobs in spite of being insane; he exists in a show where everyone succeeds at their jobs because they're insane.

Just about every P&R character's greatest strength is also their greatest flaw, depending on the situation. This means that the straight man role rotates between characters depending on the plot, leaving nothing for normal guy Mark to do. Then you drop him in a relationship with the other moderately normal character, and you've got a story arc that does nothing but bore the piss out of the audience.

Even though I liked Mark, I do get why he didn't work. But I wonder why Ann, being the straight woman, worked perfectly fine, but Mark didn't. Is it because she was always paired up with one of the others, either Andy, Tom or Leslie, at any given point?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

We're getting dangerously close to the end of the series without a Greg Pikitis callback :colbert:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

"You're all ridiculous and Men's Rights is nothing" had me laughing so hard I had to pause it. Goddamn the MRA stuff in tonight's episode was funny

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Pick posted:

Oh my god I found Chris and Mark so boring I forgot which was which :v:.

What the gently caress Pick

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

DapperDinosaur posted:

I don't know, I really like Community but the gimmick in the Johnny Karate episode just didn't really click with me. It was worth it for Ben being knighted, though.

Yeah I'm the other direction. I'm not a fan of Community, but I loved the Johnny Karate episode. It helped that we got like GLIMPSES of a Burt Macklin show. I loved the Threat Level Midnight episode, so I loved what they did here.

I feel like the April sublot kind of needed to be addressed, but the format of the episode made it so it didn't work super well. The audience knew that Andy is happy just being with April

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

It's funny to me that the resolve for Tom and Donna was to have them marry borderline non-characters with very little buildup. Both of those story arcs were totally pointless and rushed.

I don't view those things as the ends of their arc. I view them basically as a bonus afterwards. Tom's dream from the very beginning of the show was to be a rich mogul, and he has become that. That just happened at the beginning of this season. His engagement is really just a bonus of that. And Donny never really had any endgame goals. What was great about Donna is she was ALWAYS completely confident and happy with herself. She didn't really need a resolution cause she was already happy. The marriage was just a bonus.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

It is 3 years later though. I imagine he didn't become a mogul overnight.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Windows 98 posted:

"I am upset by the fact that fictional characters on a TV show all have happy endings right before it ends. Happy endings never happen in the medium of story telling and doing them is just flat out boring. Why don't they have Garry get hit by a train while picking up a Jellybean? Why not have Leslie get fired and blacklisted from every government job in the country because she went psycho? Why not make Ben mayor again and then have him fail like Icetown only to commit suicide later in the episode? This is bullshit. I didn't watch this show for 7 years just to find out that everything gets tied up with a nice little bow on a gift of happiness and goals being met." - Something Awful Goons

Let me tell you about the nerds that wanted Flynn to stay dead at the end of Tangled

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Have you seen his standup? It's basically the same except instead of fantasizing about hanging out with famous people he actually does get to hang out with them and tell ridiculous stories about it.

Aziz is pretty funny, although he suffers from doing that thing that a lot of comedians do where when they are interviewed, instead of just... doing an interview they just do their stand up routine.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Pope Guilty posted:

i thought Li'l Sebastian might be a reference to Lil Bub, but Bub postdates that tiny horse.

I don't get it. At all. It's kind of a small cat, I mean what am I missing? Am I crazy?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Ben NEVER getting the Lil Sebastian thing was always my favorite thing about Lil Sebastian. I think it works especially well because they had Chris get it completely. He as sad as anyone native to Pawnee that Lil Sebastian dies. Ben is literally the only person in the whole town that doesn't get what the big deal is

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Annakie posted:

If you really wanna know... 99% sure there's going to be Ann and Chris tomorrow. I've read a few articles that say they're in the final season and we haven't seen them yet soooooo....

Also for favorite moments, not that I could pick a favorite or even a solid top ten, but Ben and Leslie getting back together in Smallest Park was maybe my favorite romantic reunion on TV ever. I watched that part so many times I could practically recite it.

Amy Poehler delivers the hell out of her lines in that scene

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Let's take a moment to say farewell to the most well written nerd on TV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h02lSufbSg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqoH3lW7wEE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdXo4m5Q7g8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfXfOCIIFcY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToMbp7VgoRc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bpZJrCV-s4

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

old dog child posted:

She's just really funny. Check out her interviews on late night talk shows. I like the ones on Conan the best.

I feel like Conan is the only interviewer that GETS Aubrey Plaza. Everyone else is always obviously kind of weirded out by her or awkward. But Conan (and Andy) completely get her whole thing and it always makes for great interviews

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Lugaloco posted:

"I'm calling you're shift commander. Monday morning, I'm calling your boss! I dunno who to call about you!"

"The President of The United States of America."

There's a reason "Greg Pikitis" is in my top 5.

Wasn't that another ad libbed line by Pratt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

isk posted:

Only S7 episode I'd skip is Johnny Karate. Little bit goes a long way.

Actually don't take this fool's advice

• Locked thread