Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Did anyone see that the first episode was up last night? No, well okay.

Hannah Horvath (Lena Dunham):

Last season, Hannah got an acceptance letter to the University of Iowa to join a writing workshop or something. She's probably gonna go, which means her relationship with Adam might turn into a long-distance thing.

Marnie Michaels (Allison Wiliams):

Worked at an art galllery, but decided to start singing. Infatuated with the dude who is helping her music career. And that dude has a girlfriend. And I think she banged Ray last season too. Also she's a whore.

Jessa Johansson (Jemima Kurke):

Some old lady convinced her to do an assisted suicide, but flaked. But I guess they're cool now. (Seriously, what the hell does she do on this show, I have no idea)

Shoshanna Shapiro (Zosia Mamet):

Shosh kinda hosed up on school so she can't graduate. Tried to get Ray back but that didn't work.

Adam Sackler (Adam Driver):

Dude is self-conscious as gently caress, loud, annoying, weird, etc. Oddly though, he's the most rounded/successful of the characters on the show playing a Broadway actor.

Ray Ploshansky (Alex Karpovsky):

Runs a coffee shop, banged Shosh and Marnie. Cool guy, but that's about it.

Here's a nice financial chart on whether their characters would be able to live in Manhattan IRL (tl;dr not really)

Dancing Peasant fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Good OP. I am happy that this is back on TV.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I don't think Hannah moving to Iowa so soon is a good idea for the show since Lena seems to have trouble writing stories that don't involve her

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

mistermojo posted:

I don't think Hannah moving to Iowa so soon is a good idea for the show since Lena seems to have trouble writing stories that don't involve her

There are actually real writers with talent on the show now, so even though Dunham is a terrible writer by herself, she has plenty of seasoned professionals on staff to help her overcome her many shortcomings.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
Adam Driver looked totally different to me, but I can't explain why. Was it hair?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

PowerBuilder3 posted:

Adam Driver looked totally different to me, but I can't explain why. Was it hair?

At one point he mentions he shaved for the commercial acting job, and I think that was it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Another season of a great show about horrible loving people! :toot:

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Very excited this show is back. Not as excited by the cynical, whiny OP.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Was Ray high or something he seemed far too cheery to be talking to Shosh

Adam looks way better post shave

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
This week's episode was great. The writing workshop was a bit too close to some of the cringeworthy GQ scenes from last season, but the party was awesome.

"I'm not gay!"
"...Me neither, brah!"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I liked the writers workshop scene a lot. Hannah getting uncomfortable with getting called out for being too much like her awful character is fun.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
Hannah is so loving insufferable- more so than before. Works perfectly.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It would be hilarious if she gets kicked out of grad school for being terrible. The character hasn't grown in three seasons; why start now?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
More Shoshanna, less potato in a He-man wig who wears Osh kosh b'gosh overalls.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I like how insanely reprehensible every character is

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
"I'm 25, I've seen a lot" - this line encapsulates Hannah's entire character.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Emerson Cod posted:

This week's episode was great. The writing workshop was a bit too close to some of the cringeworthy GQ scenes from last season, but the party was awesome.

"I'm not gay!"
"...Me neither, brah!"

This is going to be an interesting season for me, since I graduated from one of Iowa's grad programs a few years ago. The writing workshop and her bike getting stolen were probably the most realistic things to happen in the episode.

Like, no joke, that workshop scene wasn't even exaggeration.

Also, I feel like if they're going to go for maximum awfulness, they'll namedrop the Gang Lu shooting.

Max fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 21, 2015

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Max posted:

This is going to be an interesting season for me, since I graduated from one of Iowa's grad programs a few years ago. The writing workshop and her bike getting stolen were probably the most realistic things to happen in the episode.

Also, I feel like if they're going to go for maximum awfulness, they'll namedrop the Gang Lu shooting.

Out of curiosity, did you graduate from Iowa's creative writing program? The workshop scenes were entertaining but I have a hard time believing that's a realistic depiction of literally the most prestigious writing program in the nation.

It felt more like an undergrad creative writing class than a place that's produced like two dozen Pulitzer winners and six poet laureates, but it would be pretty funny if that was actually an accurate portrayal.

Seriously though, I think Hannah might even be more cringe-inducing than Larry David.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Max posted:

I've lived in the region a while, but I'm not familiar with this, what is the Gang Lu shooting?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Max posted:

drat, people really get that rough? I figured it was an exaggeration to give them an excuse to have Hannah face a lot of the criticisms that Lena faces.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Out of curiosity, did you graduate from Iowa's creative writing program? The workshop scenes were entertaining but I have a hard time believing that's a realistic depiction of literally the most prestigious writing program in the nation.

It felt more like an undergrad creative writing class than a place that's produced like two dozen Pulitzer winners and six poet laureates, but it would be pretty funny if that was actually an accurate portrayal.

Seriously though, I think Hannah might even be more cringe-inducing than Larry David.

I was in a different program, but it was also creative and I've sat through my fair share of workshops in a couple different departments. It seems unreal, and honestly thinking back on some of those late nights, I can't believe any of it happened either. Off the top of my head, I've heard (directed at me or others):

-No talking while you're being critiqued
-I'm sorry but I couldn't write anything because I think this is about you
-This is coming from someone who is privileged.
-And the teacher tacitly trying not to make any comments on work they think is awful.

The Foxhead is the where all the writers go, they got that right.

If a workshop was ever mixed with some undergrads, it became an unspoken rule that one of the undergrads had to leave to room crying at least once in the semester.

Golbez posted:

I've lived in the region a while, but I'm not familiar with this, what is the Gang Lu shooting?

This. Jo Anne Beard famously wrote a short essay about it, and that fact seams like too juicy a target for this show to ignore. But maybe I'll be wrong.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

A bunch of people actually in Iowa spoke to the Vulture about the representation of the Workshop (and the actual workshop scene). It's mixed, but there's more positivity than I expected.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Pinterest Mom posted:

A bunch of people actually in Iowa spoke to the Vulture about the representation of the Workshop (and the actual workshop scene). It's mixed, but there's more positivity than I expected.

This actually does address one of the other things that was nagging me. A majority of grad students in the university there either have an assistantship or fellowship. That usually puts them in a supervisory role for undergrads, so going to an undergrad party is a pretty bad idea. The subtle joke of that is that either we're either going to see her teach later (which should be really cringe worthy,) or she's actually paying tuition to be there, which means she is the biggest sucker in the universe. Or this is just a fictional representation of the school.

Other predictions: Now that I think about it, it's more likely that they'll probably go to see the town's black angel in its cemetery than it is for them to bring up the shooting. Who knows.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
Did they explain where Hanna got money from now? I laughed at her renting a whole house just because that matched her NY rent.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Max posted:

...in a supervisory role for undergrads, so going to an undergrad party is a pretty bad idea.

Is there a grad program where students aren't banging undergrads? I only have experience with three schools, but, uhhh, ya, that happens a lot. Hell, I know of two tenured faculty who got married to former undergrad students. I'm not saying this isn't a bad idea, but that it is realistic.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Acinonyx posted:

Is there a grad program where students aren't banging undergrads? I only have experience with three schools, but, uhhh, ya, that happens a lot. Hell, I know of two tenured faculty who got married to former undergrad students. I'm not saying this isn't a bad idea, but that it is realistic.

I mean, after you were no longer teaching them, yeah, sure, a lot of people did that. One guy in our program got married to an undergrad after she was no longer his student. It's still pretty bad at Iowa, and Hannah makes bad decisions sometimes so whatever I guess it fits.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

PowerBuilder3 posted:

Did they explain where Hanna got money from now? I laughed at her renting a whole house just because that matched her NY rent.
Her NYC rent was 2800/month, I think, theoretically split two ways - the house was 850.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Pretty good episode last night. Marnie stood up for herself, and Jessa finally got told off in a way that seemed to actually hurt her. Hannah ... uh ... well that sure was something I guess.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Is Marnie even capable of being alone in a room with another person without having sex with them? Because I can't remember a scene where that didn't happen.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Not if they compliment her, but she did shake off a barrage of "oh, you're so pretty" to put her foot down with that douchebag.

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

Hannah being a huge bitch to everyone in her writing group might be the most likable I've ever found her.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Gandalf21 posted:

Hannah being a huge bitch to everyone in her writing group might be the most likable I've ever found her.

That was a great scene.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
Responses to trigger warning

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm glad no one posts in this thread about the bad show. Even goons have some taste I see.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
I enjoy episodes when Hannah is unhappy the most she really is awful and incompetent. Tonight's was a good episode.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

After they showed the Jessa please be my friend bit in the open I was totally expecting Hannah to come home and find them banging

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I think this might have been one of the best episodes. Absolutely everyone was incredibly selfish, irrational and horrible to everyone else all the time.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

evobatman posted:

I think this might have been one of the best episodes. Absolutely everyone was incredibly selfish, irrational and horrible to everyone else all the time.

Except for Ray. I want a lot more Ray fighting the Man in the next episode.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
I'm happy to hear some love for Ray around here, I feel like its a testament to how uncool I am that Old Man Ray is my favourite character. He's no less self-centred or lost than the others, but he is at least self-aware of that fact. He needs a spin-off.

Now that Hannah is back home I'm much less inspired to watch this week's episode, I don't know that they really did enough with the Iowa stuff. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I don't know about you guys but I'm all for Gillian Jacobs being on the show and Hannah getting the short end of the stick for the duration

• Locked thread