Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

Viginti posted:

I'm happy to hear some love for Ray around here, I feel like its a testament to how uncool I am that Old Man Ray is my favourite character. He's no less self-centred or lost than the others, but he is at least self-aware of that fact. He needs a spin-off.

This is exactly what I came into this thread to post. I like Girls even though it's really hit-or-miss, but I'd watch the poo poo out of The Ray Show.

Also this was a good, straightforward episode. Drama happens, cast members are shown one-by-one reacting to it in an entertaining way, done. Hannah getting dumped for someone so obviously better that she can't even hate her was great. Unfortunately the ending made me realize that in any other show, a protagonist hitting rock bottom like that would then grow somehow. Here, that won't happen because Lena Dunham can only write people who go in circles forever and fail to learn anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
Surely the writers have to have noticed by now that people tend to love the one or two episodes that they actually give a structure each year far more than any others. When they tie the plot down to one place or one person its always much stronger and more memorable than the episodes where they try to give everyone ninety seconds on screentime, eighty-odd of which are spent re-setting up their current situation.

So yeah, I really liked this one too, primarily because of the cleanliness of the script. Notable that Dunham didn't have her name on it, I would have thought for sure she would have written an episode as integral as this one. Fingers crossed it does lead to a revitalized show next week, but I guess we'll see.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
That was a good episode though its gonna mean nothing if there isn't some semblance of growth from Hannah but I agree from that ending this isn't going to happen. Adam Driver also remains amazing.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

StoneOfShame posted:

That was a good episode though its gonna mean nothing if there isn't some semblance of growth from Hannah but I agree from that ending this isn't going to happen. Adam Driver also remains amazing.

Actually what I meant was that ending would indicate growth, but this is Girls. Normally having a character sleep in a storage unit after making a bad life choice, being dumped by her boyfriend and betrayed by a friend (sidenote: please get rid of Jessa already, pee pee doo doo she is a bad character) is the kind of story beat that says "this person is about to do some soul-searching and change". And yet we've all watched the previous three seasons and know that, instead, Hannah is just going to lie on that filthy couch and feel sorry for herself a lot and maybe relapse into OCD.

Basically either that changes somehow, or they should do a spinoff starring Ray, Adam and Shosh, aka the characters that actually mature and have arcs that maybe go places. Otherwise it's just gonna be "Jessa is an irresponsible idiot, Marnie has low self-esteem and falls for douchebags, Hannah rationalizes bad decisions" over and over again. Unlike many goons I do enjoy this show for the acting and dialogue and occasional flash of excellence, but the formula really needs a shakeup. It's good comedy but awful drama.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

My favourite bit of the episode is that when Jessa makes her grand "I can't believe you called her first" entrance, she's coming in from the bathroom, not the front door. Hannah is having a huge emotional breakdown and Jessa makes a pitstop before attending to her, of course :allears:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Guildencrantz posted:

And yet we've all watched the previous three seasons and know that, instead, Hannah is just going to lie on that filthy couch and feel sorry for herself a lot and maybe relapse into OCD.

Or she'll start dating Ray, the town bicycle.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Propaganda Machine posted:

Or she'll start dating Ray, the town bicycle.

I think he would have more self respect than that and would probably inform her as such

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

My favourite bit of the episode is that when Jessa makes her grand "I can't believe you called her first" entrance, she's coming in from the bathroom, not the front door. Hannah is having a huge emotional breakdown and Jessa makes a pitstop before attending to her, of course :allears:

Good catch, I missed that. At least she didn't piss on the floor!

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Guildencrantz posted:

Actually what I meant was that ending would indicate growth, but this is Girls. Normally having a character sleep in a storage unit after making a bad life choice, being dumped by her boyfriend and betrayed by a friend (sidenote: please get rid of Jessa already, pee pee doo doo she is a bad character) is the kind of story beat that says "this person is about to do some soul-searching and change". And yet we've all watched the previous three seasons and know that, instead, Hannah is just going to lie on that filthy couch and feel sorry for herself a lot and maybe relapse into OCD.

Basically either that changes somehow, or they should do a spinoff starring Ray, Adam and Shosh, aka the characters that actually mature and have arcs that maybe go places. Otherwise it's just gonna be "Jessa is an irresponsible idiot, Marnie has low self-esteem and falls for douchebags, Hannah rationalizes bad decisions" over and over again. Unlike many goons I do enjoy this show for the acting and dialogue and occasional flash of excellence, but the formula really needs a shakeup. It's good comedy but awful drama.

Sorry didn't read exactly what you said properly but yeah I also meant the fact that it was Hannah there means there will be no growth as Hannah is incapable of growth due to a complete lack of self-awareness. I do wonder how aware Dunham is that her insert character has completely lacking in self awareness. I also don't think its entirely a bad thing as it is an accurate summation of part of my generation I know Hannah's and the rest, not everyone I know is like them though there are normal adjusted people too but the show isn't overly concerned with them. What I really like is how accurately these types of people are portrayed, yeah the characters irritate me at times but their real life counterparts irritate me the same way in real life when I find them amongst my friends.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
So did Hanna quit school because she was afraid to try and fail? Or is she just lazy when it comes to having to do any work on any kind of schedule?

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

PowerBuilder3 posted:

So did Hanna quit school because she was afraid to try and fail? Or is she just lazy when it comes to having to do any work on any kind of schedule?

Dad: you'll know when it's right or wrong, you'll just feel it

Hannah: I thought you kicked me out and I felt relieved

There isn't an eyeroll big enough. No discussion of whether she should try to stick it out in a prestigious program. She got her feelings hurt, she felt ganged up on and had the revelation that it didn't feel good. loving Hannah.

FWIW I thought the writing circle was amusing and definitely thought Hannah had valid points. She just disgusted everyone around her so that anything she said sounded ridiculous to the other students. They were all equally ridiculous, really. Hannah's self-absorbed writing was funny, at least.

Edit: did anyone else think the Dad was talking about himself and that he was going to admit to Hannah he'd left her mom?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I thought this episode was quite good, but yeah it ends up feeling like payoff for the four episodes at Iowa that kind of felt weightless and went nowhere (obviously).

And there was definitely a strong implication the dad had a bomb he didn't drop. Lost his job/divorced/dying/gay, something.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Again Jessa makes every situation she is in and every life she touches worse. I love it.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

PowerBuilder3 posted:

All of these

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Man, that was a really good episode. Easily the best episode of the season, if not the whole show maybe.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

hepscat posted:

loving Hannah.

But isn't this the reaction every episode.

Caught up on the last two. Great to watch back-to-back. I gotta agree, the last episode was really really good- easily the best in a while.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
If Lena Dunham had an endpoint set already (like saying "OK, show's going five seasons and that's it), I wouldn't mind Hannah making very slow progress on getting her poo poo together. People don't just change overnight; usually life has to kick them repeatedly.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Just watched the latest episode. Good episode - I'm liking this season a lot more than the previous one. Jessa is an indefensibly awful person. I think she has borderline personality disorder. I want her to stay on the show because she's such a great vector of chaos, but I honestly am having a tough time believing that anybody would still be friends with her.

Anyway, Hannah is a dumb spoiled brat but has every right to feel betrayed, Adam is a whiny selfish unlikeable shitlord who still has every right to move on romantically, I hated Marnie less than usual in this episode, Shoshana was not useless this episode, and Ray is my favorite character.

e: By the way, I'm incredibly disappointed to not find some sperglord defending Jessa's actions and saying, "Well, she has every right to act like a horrible person because human beings have agency and morality is relative and..." Seriously, I feel cheated.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 20, 2015

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

If Lena Dunham had an endpoint set already (like saying "OK, show's going five seasons and that's it), I wouldn't mind Hannah making very slow progress on getting her poo poo together. People don't just change overnight; usually life has to kick them repeatedly.

And here I had been watching this season swearing this was last because both it and the Newsroom had been renewed for final seasons, but nope, already renewed for a fifth season. Why? This show doesn't have 1/100th of the buzz it had the first season. I don't think I have the stamina for another season and a half. I think I'm done. I'm leaving you, too, Hannah.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sub Rosa posted:

And here I had been watching this season swearing this was last because both it and the Newsroom had been renewed for final seasons, but nope, already renewed for a fifth season. Why? This show doesn't have 1/100th of the buzz it had the first season. I don't think I have the stamina for another season and a half. I think I'm done. I'm leaving you, too, Hannah.

I couldn't see how this would be the arc of the final season unless they're working toward a triumphant quintuple-murder-suicide by Ray.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

I couldn't see how this would be the arc of the final season unless they're working toward a triumphant quintuple-murder-suicide by Ray.

In all fairness that'll probably be more realistic and satisfying than how it actually wraps

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
This is a modern show with a modern writer. It's not going to be satisfying. It's going to be a "life goes on" type ending.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

GutBomb posted:

This is a modern show with a modern writer. It's not going to be satisfying. It's going to be a "life goes on" type ending.

Yeah I think this is the first series I've ever watched where by the end of the first season I know - that no matter how it ends- none of the characters will be happy.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Another week where the boys were the only part of the show worth watching :toot:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I hope the last episode is just 30 minutes of Ray doing stuff.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Really funny episode. Marnie and what'shisname getting in a fight over the dumbest possible poo poo, Elijah's list of jobs Hannah could hold, Ray throwing the local government into disarray.

I coulda done with less of Adam being an angry weirdo though.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I came here for the proper spelling of Budussy

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

The thought of Hannah as a teacher is hilarious, I can already see her moaning at the kids about whatever inane poo poo is upsetting at that point in time then bitching later that the kids wont listen. The best ending for the show involves Ray becoming president.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

StoneOfShame posted:

The best ending for America involves Ray becoming president.

FTFY

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Jessa wasn't in this episode in any significant way = Best Jessa episode ever.
Shoshanna was useless and unrealistic and annoying like always.
Marnie had sex.
Hannah something something something teacher job, because I'm sure they just give those away and they are probably super easy to do.
Adam is back as my favorite character for acting like a somewhat normal person, after taking a significant dip in the ratings for getting into a new relationship without telling Hannah.
Britta is playing the character that Britta in Community is a parody of.

Ray kicks rear end.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Who do I talk to about getting a Ray spinoff.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

withak posted:

Who do I talk to about getting a Ray spinoff.

City council.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Adam and Ray are the best characters on this show.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Yo I heard this was a good show for people who like eating rear end; this true?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
hosed up if true.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Frostwerks posted:

Yo I heard this was a good show for people who like eating rear end; this true?

That depends on whether you mean literally or figuratively.

On second thought, it actually doesn't matter.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
More like motor boating rear end, but yes.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Ugh, I hate to take Adam's side when I'm as pro-choice as I am, but gently caress Mimi-Rose. You don't just drop that sort of information blithely and casually, and then expect Adam not to be really hurt. And I usually freaking hate Adam, so that should tell you how out-of-line I think Mimi-Rose was. I absolutely love Gillian Jacobs, too, so I don't like hating her! This episode is hurting my head.:(

Overall, though, not a bad episode, but a bit of a snooze overall compared to last week's fireworks. It also probably helps that I'm just really good at tuning out Desi and Marnie, who are beyond worthless in every single regard. Ray in front of the city council was terrific, though.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Majorian posted:

You don't just drop that sort of information blithely and casually, and then expect Adam not to be really hurt. And I usually freaking hate Adam, so that should tell you how out-of-line I think Mimi-Rose was.

To be clear you're just taking issue with her telling her partner that she had an abortion, not that she had an abortion without her partner's permission?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Sub Rosa posted:

To be clear you're just taking issue with her telling her partner that she had an abortion, not that she had an abortion without her partner's permission?

It's not a matter of permission so much as basic communication, timing and the way she told him. You can be pro-choice and at the same time not treat abortion like a trip to the grocery store.

• Locked thread