Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Zonekeeper posted:

This was the first Raw I have watched since my network sub lapsed after Summerslam. Considering I only got into wrestling last year because of Bryan, I lost interest when he got the belt taken away and I figured I'd catch up again now that he's back.

Good to see that I haven't missed much. Ambrose still owns (despite horrible booking), Reigns is cool but can't do scripted promos for poo poo, Heyman is doing the same promo (and it still works) and The Authority Angle still manages to survive because HHH refuses to remove himself from the plot. So absolutely nothing has changed in the last 6 months. :v:

Welcome back! It should at least be tolerable, and occasionally really good in the way that only pro wrestling can be, from the Rumble through Wrestlemania, so you picked the right time to hop back in. I ought to do myself a favor and only watch the product from Rumble-Mania each year, it'd save me a lot of headaches and a not insignificant amount of money on my network subscription.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

rovert posted:

DANIEL BRYAN DID THE BABYFACE PROMISE THAT HE WOULD WIN THE ROYAL RUMBLE

Seriously guys.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I want to see someone come out and just say "Well, I'd like to win the Rumble, but honestly it's a 1 in 30 shot, and those aren't great odds. Chances are at some point some idiot will come in and stop me from eliminating someone instead of helping me for some reason, which makes no sense but happens multiple times every rumble, and I'll end up getting tossed out by like, The Honky Tonk Man because of it."

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

TheJoker138 posted:

I want to see someone come out and just say "Well, I'd like to win the Rumble, but honestly it's a 1 in 30 shot, and those aren't great odds. Chances are at some point some idiot will come in and stop me from eliminating someone instead of helping me for some reason, which makes no sense but happens multiple times every rumble, and I'll end up getting tossed out by like, The Honky Tonk Man because of it."

This is what Zack Ryder says to hype himself up before his music hits.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
The Ascension have always sucked. Decent in theory, poor in execution.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

rovert posted:

Seriously guys.
He declared his intentions on winning the Rumble.
He only said he would main event Wrestlemania this year. That could mean a HHH match 4th from the top!

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

rovert posted:

Seriously guys.

I would put serious stock in that if we were dealing with a company with good booking, but...

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Raw was a pretty okay show. But The Royal Rumble, guys.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Grozz Nuy posted:

I would put serious stock in that if we were dealing with a company with good booking, but...

For sure.

But the babyface promise is one of the last few "old school" things they stick to the vast majority of the time.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Don't worry, Roman will do one next week too, in which he'll reference Deputy Dawg.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

sticklefifer posted:

Don't worry, Roman will do one next week too, in which he'll reference Deputy Dawg.

You are aware this has at least a 40 percent chance of actually happening.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
If 40% is the over/under, I say over.

Where is Sheamus, btw? Is he injured? He hasn't been around since November.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

If 40% is the over/under, I say over.

Where is Sheamus, btw? Is he injured? He hasn't been around since November.
Surgery, I don't think they mentioned what specifically it was.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I don't remember the specifics but I remember him being written off for Rowan in the build to Survivor Series. I remember hearing he needed surgery but I don't know for what.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

St Evan Echoes posted:

Surgery, I don't think they mentioned what specifically it was.

Spoke to him over Christmas when he was over here . He is rehabbing his back and he also had jaw surgery. Nothing too major.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Mark Henry slammed him through the announce table on either the go-home Raw for SS or the one before that. There was some debate at the time whether it was a botch and he got legit injured, but iirc it was confirmed as part of the storyline to write him out for a planned surgery.

Striking Yak
Dec 31, 2012
Watching the last hour of Raw now. Still don't know why JBL insists on burying The Ascension. THESE WINS DON'T MEAN ANYTHING, MAGGLE! THAT WASN'T AN IMPRESSIVE FEAT OF STRENGTH! THESE GUYS ARE PROBABLY FROM THE CAST OF SWAMP MEN!

And then Booker says "He's Asian. Not Cajun."

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I am thinking about renewing my network sub for the Rumble and dropping Netflix, but I am not sure they have had a good PPV since last August and generally everyone has hated Raw since then.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
RIP Sheamus, got surgery on his dick and died. #RIP

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Gonna watch RAW later but don't want to read the results, someone please give us a rating out of 10

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
I give it 5 magic beans.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I am thinking about renewing my network sub for the Rumble and dropping Netflix, but I am not sure they have had a good PPV since last August and generally everyone has hated Raw since then.

I can't disagree with you, but then again it is the Rumble. Basically since like 2009 I've enjoyed every Rumble and that was back when I was splitting the price with a friend. But yeah, I don't have enough faith in their direction to give you a for sure. All I can say, is that Rumbles are usually fun.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Cory Lidle posted:

RIP Sheamus, got surgery on his dick and died. #RIP
Fella :(

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

God I remember when Sheamus was a breath of fresh air. Breaking dudes backs on ECW, "beating" John Cena and winning the title. The WWE is a meat grinder.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Spikeguy posted:

I can't disagree with you, but then again it is the Rumble. Basically since like 2009 I've enjoyed every Rumble and that was back when I was splitting the price with a friend. But yeah, I don't have enough faith in their direction to give you a for sure. All I can say, is that Rumbles are usually fun.

The Rumble match should be good. The booking surrounding it is terrible.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Everblight posted:

with 3 shows (charitably counting SmackDown!! as a show where plots get advanced) until the Royal Rumble, this is shaping up to be a :geno: card.

The Rumble is always a light card.

They'll shoehorn a tag match somehow.

The US, IC, and Divas championships aren't usually defended at the Rumble in recent memory. I think the last IC match at the Rumble was over a decade ago.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

In addition to the Rumble and title match, the Ascension will probably squash some jobbers, a divas piss break and probably Rusev/Ambrose because why not. Also after Raw last night I doubt Reigns is winning the Rumble. Big Show will eliminate him to continue their feud.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
The Rumble last year was booked shittily in nearly every way but it was still a lot of fun to watch. It's about the last PPV that the WWE can't entirely ruin, no matter how they try,.

Also Sheamus is still loads of fun to watch in the ring, especially when he's going with dudes like Cesaro who he can really cut loose and hoss-off with. They just need to find something to do with him so when he comes back it's not just him coming out once a week and "Begorrah I loik to fight, fellah!"

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Remember when they loaded Bret Hart into an ambulance, and Austin popped up in the driver's seat, screaming gibberish, and beat the poo poo out of Hart while he was strapped into a gurney?

That's what Dean Ambrose should be doing instead of looking like an idiot jobber.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I hope they figure out a way to make the Rumble interesting throughout, from what I remember last year's was only really cool at the end and for a couple spots here and there. If it was 50 minutes long, it was worthwhile for like 15 maybe.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

bradzilla posted:

The Rumble match should be good. The booking surrounding it is terrible.

At this point, the Rumble is not even the anchor is used to be. Last year's Rumble was a disaster, and the one before that was pretty bad.

The Rumble used to be one of my favorite things in wrestling, but between multiple Cena wins, Hornswoggle, Cole, JBL in a tie, and various Nash returns, it's become a loving joke.

triplexpac posted:

I hope they figure out a way to make the Rumble interesting throughout, from what I remember last year's was only really cool at the end and for a couple spots here and there. If it was 50 minutes long, it was worthwhile for like 15 maybe.

The only interesting things I recall from last year are the crowd revolt and Rusev. Punk laying on the mat like a slug for 40 minutes was bizarrely interesting.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Yeah you can't count on the Rumble to be a surefire winner.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I've watched 92, 97-02, and 06 Rumbles recently to get me in the mood. What are some other good ones?

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

You can always really on the Kofi spot. I had a party last year with tons of non-wrestling fans who went nuts for Kofi.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'm sure they'll pad out this years rumble with some NXT talent, so I am dreading JBL shouting incessantly about how Kallisto can't wrestle and Kevin Owen's junk is really small.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Does anyone have a gif of Cena's sell of the curbstomp? It's amazing that he's so poo poo at selling it, especially compared to a guy who has taken it twice total

Red
Apr 15, 2003

St Evan Echoes posted:

I've watched 92, 97-02, and 06 Rumbles recently to get me in the mood. What are some other good ones?

1992: Ric Flair wins an amazing Rumble with amazing commentary work. (I know you said you watched it, but this one is the best)
2007: Undertaker eliminates Shawn Michaels after a great showdown between the two.
2010: Edge returns to win the Rumble, getting rid of Cena - the highlight of the Rumble is Punk's dominance in the beginning with the SES stuff.
1993: Yokozuna begins his march to morbidly obese champion, Gorilla Monsoon calls Carlos Colon a "youngster"
1996: It doesn't get much love, but this has a good "Shawn is coming back from a concussion" storyline going on, plus THE RINGMASTER
2005: Cena and Batista eliminate each other at the same time, Vince runs out and blows both quads out, and while sitting in the ring, ORDERS THAT THIS MATCH MUST CONTINUE! Also has a great Paul London bump.
2012: Attempts to recreate the showdown between the last two guys like in '07 with Sheamus and Jericho, and while entertaining, isn't a great Rumble. This is the one with each of the 3 commentators jumping in, plus Kharma shows up to murder Cole. Edit: Wait, 2012 is great just for Ricardo coming out as Alberto's fill-in.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

St Evan Echoes posted:

'07 had fun spots and a great finish and I have a fondness for 2010's rumble with CM Punk promo hour and Shawn Michaels' mental breakdown

Striking Yak
Dec 31, 2012
Has there been any word on what sort of arrangement WWE has with Sky to get the Network in the UK?

Also, yesterday I watched a movie called Born To Fight. Steve Austin played a custodian teaching a nerdy kid how to fight back against the bullies. At one point he said "you're right, punk. I am the janitor. That's why I'm gonna mop the floor with you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Red posted:

Remember when they loaded Bret Hart into an ambulance, and Austin popped up in the driver's seat, screaming gibberish, and beat the poo poo out of Hart while he was strapped into a gurney?

That's what Dean Ambrose should be doing instead of looking like an idiot jobber.

Ambrose should absolutely not have been losing to Rusev last night, but being told he had to pass a psychiatric test to be in the Rumble and ending up with the psychiatrist weeping on the couch is exactly the kind of awesome poo poo that people remember from the Attitude Era (while ignoring all the lovely parts)

• Locked thread