Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I watched the first episode of Sevens and loved it. After the slog that was the majority of VRAINS, I thought it was a huge breath of fresh air.

The Bee posted:

So what exactly are the different "Yu-Gi-Oh but faster" formats, and how do they differ? And where does Duel Links fit into all of this?

You have normal Yugioh, which is the regular card game. It's incredibly fast and currently revolves around trying to build a board of negation / trying to break through your opponent's board of negation.

Duel Links is the mobile game, you have three monster zones and three spell / trap zones, and a 'skill' you can typically use once per duel.

Speed Duels is an exclusive TCG format. It's an attempt to copy Duel Links as a physical product. That being said, it comes off as one man's vanity project at Konami and if it survives to the end of the year, I would be shocked.

Rush Duels are exclusive to Japan (partly because TCG doesn't want them to compete with Speed Duels). Again, three monster and spell zones, but you have an unlimited number of Normal summons per turn and refill your hand to five cards every time you draw. I doubt Rush Duels will last either though. The pandemic was an absolutely terrible time for it to release, but y'know. Gotta release it now to tie into the anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You read the exact opposite of what I was saying from my post. The support of old poo poo is part of YGO and what makes it fun and neat and I was using that to compare it to the idea of rebooting it in some way and doing away with the old poo poo or the idea of set rotation like MTG does.

Decks implicitly rotate in Yugioh ZMB, they either get errataed, have their archetype banned out or get powercrept out of the format

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

skull servant is a stupid archetype and i can't wait for it to get new support

link 1 skull servant with an effect that negates stuff for the cost of returning banished skull servants & wights to the graveyard & it's not once per turn

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

BLUE-EYES WIGHT DRAGON WHEN?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Vandar posted:

Rush Duels are exclusive to Japan (partly because TCG doesn't want them to compete with Speed Duels). Again, three monster and spell zones, but you have an unlimited number of Normal summons per turn and refill your hand to five cards every time you draw. I doubt Rush Duels will last either though. The pandemic was an absolutely terrible time for it to release, but y'know. Gotta release it now to tie into the anime.

Rush Duels also eliminate: damage step, and missing the timing.
https://ygorganization.com/rush-duel-how-to-play-website-added/

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

The Bee posted:

So what exactly are the different "Yu-Gi-Oh but faster" formats, and how do they differ? And where does Duel Links fit into all of this?

Duel links is basically the speed duels from VRAINS but without the linkers master rule.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Decks implicitly rotate in Yugioh ZMB, they either get errataed, have their archetype banned out or get powercrept out of the format

Not exactly erataed generally only happen to cards to get them back into the formate after years of being banned and it doesn’t happen often.

Archetypes don’t get banned they get specific cards get banned which weaken them but you can still play them and certain decks power through it and survive it. Burning abyss has been contenders for going on six years now. Spirals were going on year four before the recent ban list and shadolls came back after a temporary death with new support but most of its core good cards are the main players.

Power creep happens yeah but not as much as you think.

New formats can even bring old poo poo cards to meta relevance really easily

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Ehh. Spyrals were pretty dead before Magicians' Souls came around. You had a few people still doing okay with them but their initial banlist hits were enough to take them out of the meta right up until LED6 came out.

Burning Abyss though. :argh: Burning Abyss will never die.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I count rogue tier which they were though yeah MS made them as powerful as they use to be.

Ironically if your a fan of a rogue deck you can play that poo poo for years and you will be fine

Unless it abuses a broken generic card I guess

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Duelist Alliance was nuts, huh? Have we had a set since that introduced so many meta decks all at once? No doubt Tellarknights or Yang Zing could get new support now and be good again, too.

Equally wild was that was the set that introduced Pendulums, and none of the persistent decks from that set use that mechanic at all.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yang zing could be real if they would just pretend when if effects aren’t a thing anymore

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Skeleton Mom posted:

Duelist Alliance was nuts, huh? Have we had a set since that introduced so many meta decks all at once? No doubt Tellarknights or Yang Zing could get new support now and be good again, too.

Equally wild was that was the set that introduced Pendulums, and none of the persistent decks from that set use that mechanic at all.

Pendulums kind of sucked for a long time, because inevitably 2 of your monsters/materials were instead being used as bad continuous spell cards for one pendulum summon a turn which can be negated or blown out by various responses. It’s telling that the current successful pendulum decks rarely pendulum summon until 80% of the way through their combo play.

Anyway the best Rogue Deck is forever Ancient Gear. It’s never going to win a World Championship but it usually can and will blow randoms out of the water because it turns out an almost totally immune piercing 4500 ATK robot that punches everything is a very good win condition.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Yang Zing were meta as gently caress in the OCG towards the end of the Arc-V era. They had a bit of time in the spotlight in the TCG too.

Uncle Khasim
Dec 20, 2009

Lord_Magmar posted:

Anyway the best Rogue Deck is forever Ancient Gear. It’s never going to win a World Championship but it usually can and will blow randoms out of the water because it turns out an almost totally immune piercing 4500 ATK robot that punches everything is a very good win condition.
Lucked into a full Ancient Gear deck in LOTD while trying to get invoke cards and it’s pretty fun yeah. Altergeist can gently caress off though :(

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Been chewing through the Story Duels in Legacy of the Duelist as my introduction to YuGiOh the game and it's really fun most of the time!

Then I got to VRAINS and this Varis dickhead is here recurring his 28,000 rokkets while often your deck is barely functional. And you have to face him six or seven times, I've never seen an episode of VRAINS but fuuuuuck this guy. :negative: VRAINS campaign balance is off the deep end in general compared to the other seasons.

The worst instances are about as bad as Kaiba's OpenedSomeBoosters.dek against Yugi's Exodia Underdog and that was at least funny.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It’s kind of funny that every recurring characters deck or at least one of them was meta except the protagonist

Which explains why your struggling

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Firewall Dragon got banned, that's something, right?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

What's your favorite 'bad' archetype, thread?

I'm a Gemknight/Superheavy/Ghosttrick kinda gal

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Red-Eyes definitely (ignoring Dragun that's broken as all hell). They suck rear end but I can't hate my old pal and his burn damage.

I'd say Cyber Dragon since that's my favourite archetype but let's be honest, we're always only a booster pack away from meta Cyber Dragon again. Cyber Dragon never dies, it just rests.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Gem Knights aren't bad, they're just unbalanced to the point where all of their good cards have to go on the F/L list or else they become a tier zero FTK machine, and their remaining cards are merely okay. I've seen people splash a GK engine into the new rock synchro archetype though, that might be cool.

My favourite bad archetype is Synchrons.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Skeleton Mom posted:

Gem Knights aren't bad, they're just unbalanced to the point where all of their good cards have to go on the F/L list or else they become a tier zero FTK machine, and their remaining cards are merely okay. I've seen people splash a GK engine into the new rock synchro archetype though, that might be cool.

My favourite bad archetype is Synchrons.

Gem Knights are just my favorite combo of "I will fuse everywhere. In my graveyard, from out of play, from my deck, from my hand, the field. Iwill fuse to special summon more fusions to fuse again. My turn will take half an hour and I will win."

Ghosttrick are just all so loving adorable and cute I wish they were better.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s kind of funny that every recurring characters deck or at least one of them was meta except the protagonist

Which explains why your struggling

His deck as a whole wasn’t meta but a great chunk of his monsters saw meta play. He’s like Yugi in that regard.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I love the Batterymen.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

I'm not quite sure where you distinguish between 'bad' and 'niche', but my two picks would be Fortune Lady and Volcanic. Through 5ds and Zexal I also had a makeshift "Fire Warrior Gemini Equip Spell Solidarity Beatdown" Deck that didn't always go off, but when it did you'd get some might big beaters to clear the field and nice simple removal in the form of evocator chevalier.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I love the Batterymen.

Battery man at the start of Arc-V was a really fun niche deck, but I haven't really gone back to it since Monarch Stormforth got hit on the F/L list. :(

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Gem Knights are just my favorite combo of "I will fuse everywhere. In my graveyard, from out of play, from my deck, from my hand, the field. Iwill fuse to special summon more fusions to fuse again. My turn will take half an hour and I will win."

Ghosttrick are just all so loving adorable and cute I wish they were better.

You should try Lunalights out. Even though their best card just got banned for not having a hard OPT on it, it's still a delightfully fun archetype. Fuse your fusion monsters for bigger fusions.

And I agree about Ghostricks. They need a new win condition that doesn't rely on flipping your opponent's monsters face-down since it's no longer possible to win that way, and "Ghostrick Skeleton Mill" isn't the solution.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I finally completed a decent Dragunity deck in Link Evolution after playing them in Duel Links for so long. It's really fun but now we're in the Master Rule 5 / 2020 Master Rule thing so I guess I should update it since it was originally made during the whole Master Rule 4 shenanigans.

Gravekeepers is pretty drat fun too.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I'm a sucker for Heroes. Specifically the Masked Hero & manga Elemental Hero fusions. I'm also rolling with a Fur Hire deck as my main one in LOTD which is pretty fun and also occasionally a Dark Magician/Magician Girl deck with all their supports.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Bujins are kinda bad these days, right? I liked their playstyle in Duel Links.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

MECHA

PHANTOM

BEASTS

the number of times konami has released something that would work great for mecha phantoms but oops, there's one tiny little restriction that makes it worthless for then

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

At least they got a broken as gently caress Link monster?

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Who's the braingenius who thought Shaddolls needed their own, instant polymerization card? I'll kick their rear end

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Heroes are meta relevant!

They hard lose to nibiru but still

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

CharlestheHammer posted:

Heroes are meta relevant!

They hard lose to nibiru but still

It's harder to find decks that don't get owned by Nibiru nowadays.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Venom and Vennominaga all day every day. Come on Konami print GX nostalgia for the least memorable arc villain I know you want to.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I loved splashing Venoms in Aliens

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

https://yugipedia.com/wiki/Borreload_eXcharge_Dragon

:negative: Why is the VRAINS campaign like this. Up to mid-ARC-V the power creep still made sense

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Blaze Dragon posted:

Pendulums (Endymion or Magicians) just summon Jackal King before the 5th summon.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Other decks can recovering a bit and fight on depending on what the opponent has.

Heroes are a glass canon so Nibiru is just a game loss right there

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Venom was my poo poo back in the day. They have so much good support, they just need more monsters and a better way to consistently get Vennominaga out. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

There are few things in this game as satisfying as resolving the second effect of Abysstainment.