Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Worth mentioning that while Rush Duels don't have an extra deck, the official playmats include an extra deck zone. Some manner of extra deck play is likely planned, though whether it's the same sort we've seen or something completely different remains to be seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Larryb posted:

So in other words. Rush Duels essentially can’t be done in the actual card game (with what’s been released in the west at least)?

On another note, is the VRAINS dub still going or is that kind of stalled at the moment (also is the dub itself any good)?

The dub just started the final arc this week, so it should be done sometime this year.

As for the dub itself, I'd say it's decent. Like the Arc-V dub, they try to fix some of the plotholes from the original version or give characters more characterization (because it's painfully obvious the writers of the japanese version were winging it for a good portion). Voice-wise it's pretty good. Certainly nothing on the level of badness of Yuma from Zexal or Yuzu's dad from AV. Thous most of the characters are voiced decently, Yusaku and the various Ignis (Ai in particular) are the standout performances. Turns out when voice actors don't have to match lip-flaps they can act more organically.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You're more likely to get real Meklords with swappable pieces before that tbh.

This sounds cool so I'm okay with it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Haven't watched a new YGO series since Zexal. So I'm behind how many series? Arc-V, SEVENS and VRAIN's?

Arc V was the one I recall everyone raving about as the best series to date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdQMWUr0IjA

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Haven't watched a new YGO series since Zexal. So I'm behind how many series? Arc-V, SEVENS and VRAIN's?

That’s literally the first time I’ve ever heard someone say that. The manga is good though, read that instead.

SEVENS is good but hasn’t been dubbed and is only available via fansubs at the moment if that’s a problem for you and VRAINS has its moments but isn’t great overall in my opinion.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Arc V built up a very good reputation over it's first 50 episodes, which are top tier Yugioh, but it also has another 100 episodes which do not keep up that high quality to say the least.

Anyway watch SEVENS because there's only like 40 episodes so far and it's silly and fun and good. Rough and predictable duels but not really worse than what I saw of VRAINS.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

NikkolasKing posted:

Arc V was a rollercoaster. The first third was among the best of Yu-Gi-Oh. Then the middle third was pretty meandering, and the last third was just plain awful in a lot of ways.

VRAINS is very much take it or leave it, obvious pacing problems aside. I personally didn't care for it at all, but it has its defenders and fans.

I'm behind on SEVENS, but the first few eps were pretty fun in my opinion.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Arc-V is certainly The Most Yugioh of Yugioh. It will show you a good show is possible and then stomp your hopes into the dirt for the back two-thirds, eventually leading to the least satisfying ending possible. The Arc-V manga is interesting, but your mileage may vary depending on how much you can stomach incest. Not joking or being hyperbolic.

Ditto-ing everyone else saying "Watch SEVENS", it's a drat fine show so far.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject but out of curiosity, does the original manga author Kazuki Takahashi still have any involvement with the franchise? If not, has he done anything else significant since then?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Larryb posted:

Off the subject but out of curiosity, does the original manga author Kazuki Takahashi still have any involvement with the franchise? If not, has he done anything else significant since then?

He wrote Dark Side of Dimensions, the film sequel to the manga.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Larryb posted:

He still has majority ownership and control of the franchise and has final say on just about everything related to it.

Skeleton Mom posted:

The Arc-V manga is interesting, but your mileage may vary depending on how much you can stomach incest. Not joking or being hyperbolic.

I don't think that counts as incest, does it?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Onmi posted:

He wrote Dark Side of Dimensions, the film sequel to the manga.

I still haven’t gotten around to watching that movie yet, is it good?

Does he still draw/write the various manga that come out or are those usually handled by different people every time?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 20, 2021

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

The various Yugioh mangas past the original are done by different people.

This is kind of an unpopular opinion but personally I think Dark Side of Dimensions is complete and utter trash. It's pretty as heck though, best the anime has ever looked.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vandar posted:

The various Yugioh mangas past the original are done by different people.

This is kind of an unpopular opinion but personally I think Dark Side of Dimensions is complete and utter trash. It's pretty as heck though, best the anime has ever looked.

I don’t care about spoilers, what’s wrong with it?

On that note, has Takahashi himself made another manga since the original Yugioh ended?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
DSOD is very firmly a Takahashi production, in that the duels are absolute nonsense because he doesn't care about things like "What turn is it" or "What do monsters do" or "Can you even activate that now?" The main point of contention is The entire point of the movie is that Atem's dead and he's not coming back, making the Puzzle won't bring him back, but at the end of the climax he basically Act of God saves the day. It kinda is thematically wrong. Also Jonouchi gets kinda shafted in the film. That said I still enjoyed watching it, I think it was a Takahashi as hell production.

He hasn't drawn any other Manga, apparently, he's still consulted on the new manga, but who knows how in-depth that is.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
DSoD is a good fanservice movie and it looks loving beautiful but its writing is kind of asstacular. I'm sorry I can't go into more detail. :effort:

Arc-V has a very 5D's-esque arc. First part is absolutely incredible, then it just gets worse, but whereas 5D's kinda goes back and forth between "meandering and bad", "this is okay", "at least there's a Jack episode" and "this is loving awful" and at the very least it stuck the landing, Arc-V just gradually goes from okay to mediocre to bad to wretched to unwatchable and the finale is the worst episodes of the series and maybe the worst episodes of any Yu-Gi-Oh.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, how did Duel Monsters wind up taking over the entire franchise anyway (though SEVENS at least sort of brings back the whole “king of games” aspect in a sense)?

Also I forget, did Arc V do any other “tribute” arcs besides the 5D’s inspired one?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Larryb posted:

On that note, has Takahashi himself made another manga since the original Yugioh ended?

Takahashi has only done a handful of one shots and limited run series since Yugioh ended (I figure he probably makes enough money off of royalties to not have to continue working beyond projects he's interested in doing). Those include Drump and The Comiq.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, how did Duel Monsters wind up taking over the entire franchise anyway (though SEVENS at least sort of brings back the whole “king of games” aspect in a sense)?

It was a one-off game among many, many one-off games that Yugi played against various bad guys throughout the series, it was played very early in the series in the mini-arc that also introduced Kaiba. Both Kaiba and the game really stuck with readers and they kept writing Takahashi letters saying they wanted to see it again. Takahashi wisely complied and now sleeps on what I imagine is a bed made of money.

Larryb posted:

Also I forget, did Arc V do any other “tribute” arcs besides the 5D’s inspired one?

They did an arc in the Xyz Dimension and the Fusions Dimension after they left Synchro and new interpretations of canon characters did show up like Kaito, Edo Phoenix, Asuka, but none of that felt like as much of an overt love letter as Synchro did to 5D's.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Larryb posted:

He did a one-shot manga in 2013 called 'Drump' that was about...wait for it...children's card games. :v:

As far as Dark Side of Dimensions goes...

It has a myriad of issues. The villain of the movie is largely ineffective, because every time he tries to do anything, Kaiba is there and is two steps ahead of him. I struggle to remember anything he tried against the main cast and succeeded in, because none of it actual works or pays off for him. He never comes off as threatening because nothing he does has any real payoff for him. And speaking of Kaiba...

Look, I've never been the biggest Kaiba fan on the planet, so it annoys me that Konami is constantly jerking him off in the card game. He gets the best legacy support, his decks have constantly been high or top tier in the past, he's just this constant presence that Konami can't seem to move past, and Dark Side of Dimensions ramps up the Kaibawanking a thousand times over. He's always five steps ahead of everyone else in the movie. Everything that happens is all according to keikaku for him. He very, very strongly comes off as a Gary Stu at times that's just SO MUCH better and greater than everyone around him.

There's a point in early in the movie where the villain comes face-to-face with him and is all like 'lol I'm going to use my magic bullshit on you now' and you think that maybe this time Kaiba has been outdone. Nope! He screams a line about HOW MUCH BETTER TECHNOLOGY IS THAN MAGIC and puts on his new duel disc technology, and the villain's powers just kind of bounce off of him and do nothing. Then they duel, and during the duel when Kaiba actually seems like he might be in trouble, he just happens to find Obelisk the Tormentor waiting below the rubble at his feet. I groaned out loud in the theater when it happened. That entire scene didn't come off as awesome to me like it was supposed to, it just came off as a 'really?' type of moment.

Also, the movie introduces a new type of summoning called DIMENSION SUMMONING where you use your own life force to summon your monsters! If you don't use enough of your spirit to summon the monster, it doesn't get summoned with full attack or defense points!

...this literally never happens in the movie and has no bearing on anything at all.

The absolute worst part of it though is the ending. Yugi and Kaiba are facing off about the villain, who's transformed into a twisted monstrous version of himself. For the first time it seems like the villain is a threat and that the heroes are in trouble. Kaiba is taken out of the duel, leaving Yugi to face him...and Yugi can't do it. He can't beat the villain. He's done. He's just not good enough.

...so naturally the spirit of the Pharaoh returns and bails him out, despite the fact that the ending to the original series was all about how Yugi had to overcome the Pharaoh in a duel in order to prove that he was strong enough to go on without the Pharaoh by his side and to prove that he didn't need the Pharaoh anymore. Way to throw that ending entirely in the trash by not letting Yugi prove himself against a new villain!

Yeah I really don't like Dark Side of Dimensions and it left a terrible taste in mouth. It's super pretty though! Like, I can recommend turning your brain off and watching it just once to appreciate how loving good the art style and animation is!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Julias posted:

Takahashi has only done a handful of one shots and limited run series since Yugioh ended (I figure he probably makes enough money off of royalties to not have to continue working beyond projects he's interested in doing). Those include Drump and The Comiq.

Are any of those worth reading?

And yeah, in retrospect without Duel Monsters the series probably wouldn’t have lasted nearly as long as it has (or if it did it would be a very different beast these days).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 20, 2021

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

As far as Arc-V goes, I'll say this:

Season one of Arc-V is the absolute height of the Yugioh franchise, imo. It has fun characters and writing, an interesting setup, A FEMALE CHARACTER THAT ACTUALLY GETS TO DO THINGS???, and quite a lot of character growth. It's interesting and fun and has imo the best duel in the entire franchise (Shun vs. Sora).

Season two is...less good. You can see things going downhill, but overall I think the season is still okay. I like it a lot more than most people do, and I think it's high points are REALLY high.

Season three starts off kind of eh, gets a lot better, and then plummets downhill really hard and really fast. That being said though it still has some really, really great duels in it. (Yuri vs. The GX Job Squad, Yuri vs. Yusho, Yuri vs. Asuka, heck pretty much all of Yuri's duels, Yuya vs. Dennis).

Larryb posted:

In addition to what's already been said, it's also worth pointing out that in the final duel between Yuya and his rival, his rival uses monsters based on the final bosses of each other Yugioh series. It's pretty neat, even if that duel does suck.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

my hang up on the end of arc-v is always going to be the final boss duel and how anyone thought that was a good idea to follow through on

it burned me so hard i didnt even watch the actual 8 episode end/epilogue arc. A segment of episodes that I cannot believe went on for 8????

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
In SEVENS, everyone gets to do something. You think someone is a throwaway character, nope, they're back later for another duel or a fun exchange or a twist reveal.
I like the diversion the show takes from the main series, where dueling was created with heavy machinery because how could a duel disk possibly create holograms on its own. The city is connected by this and the weirdness of the early stuff starts making sense when you get info dumps.
As for the duels, they're alright. There hasn't been any summoning outside of tribute and REDACTED, which I kind of wish I could see someone do fusion summoning and everyone freaking out about it. But you get some interesting decks out of it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
SEVENs issue is while the whole cast is used, most of them just feel like empty air. There's not much too them and the duels all being incredibly boring only makes that hit worse as time goes one. The whole point of setting up a character's deck/archetype and duel style was to create these totems that were the whole character and then, when the show is good, make them slap against another duelist totems as a melodramatic clash of wills and ideals. The duels and the decksare what carry the characters most of the time in the franchise and it's a cornerstone of what helps sell the writing and cast.

It's why Sora v Shun or Yusei v Jack are still some of the best poo poo in the franchise, because it's the full realization of their personalities and goals and styles shown off in big holographic dragons slapping one another.

I'm catching up on SEVENs now and the most I've felt for the plot or a reveal was "Oh that's cute."

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm not caught up with SEVENS but I dunno, I feel like cute is sort of what its going for.

It's a cute, silly and light show that makes for easy viewing. It's definitely more of a goofy kids show but I think it lands what it's trying to do most of the time. The core 4 are all pretty cool and they bounce off each other well. They're all pretty straightforward characters but they're a likeable bunch and I like their decks and all that (though I do hope Yuga gets like a full Sevens Road archetype and not just a few cards in a sorta generic spellcaster deck that uses multiple attributes). The more extended cast are generally pretty simple yeah and their decks are often just vehicles for gags, but with the show mostly following a monster of the week format they only really need to have enough going on to carry 1 or 2 episodes and they mostly manage that and the gags usually land. Like, Ramen Ninja ain't interesting or really that good a character but him returning for a duel against Noodle Alien was a good time and I though that was a really fun episode.

It's a pretty fun show imo. And it has a great op!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm not caught up with SEVENS but I dunno, I feel like cute is sort of what its going for.

It's a cute, silly and light show that makes for easy viewing. It's definitely more of a goofy kids show but I think it lands what it's trying to do most of the time.

That's exactly what it's trying to do.

From how I've seen it explained, ratings for the last two shows have been down in Japan. Partially because it's Arc-V and VRAINS and they're bad, and partially because of just how much darker they were in comparison to what came before. Then you had rival shows like Pokemon going way more lighthearted and fun with it's Sun and Moon adaptation and becoming quick fan favorites.

From my understanding they wanted a piece of that audience and they wanted to try and bring back anyone who was turned off by the more dire and darker elements of Arc-V and VRAINS.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
SEVENS is a lighthearted show about goofballs playing a new variant on the card game they like with the purpose of selling that new Yugioh format, and it's very good at doing that.

Unfortunately, Rush Duels are loving lame and I like it when the Yugioh anime actually has stakes, which SEVENS refuses to do, so it's only ever going to be pretty good.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I was expecting a turn to low stakes lets have fun type show since mid-Arc-V, even if it was just to follow the trend that other franchises have taken.

High stakes, card games as magical conflict resolution yugioh is great, but after arc-V bungled it and Vrains might as well have been not about card games by how ineffectual dueling is to the setting, the series really needed a change.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I was expecting a turn to low stakes lets have fun type show since mid-Arc-V, even if it was just to follow the trend that other franchises have taken.

High stakes, card games as magical conflict resolution yugioh is great, but after arc-V bungled it and Vrains might as well have been not about card games by how ineffectual dueling is to the setting, the series really needed a change.

Yeah, I'm not going to disagree that Yugioh has been bad for a while and they needed a change. Yugioh SEVENS is very good at doing what it is trying to do. I'm just not into what it's trying to do. :shrug:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Vandar posted:

Look, I've never been the biggest Kaiba fan on the planet, so it annoys me that Konami is constantly jerking him off in the card game. He gets the best legacy support, his decks have constantly been high or top tier in the past, he's just this constant presence that Konami can't seem to move past, and Dark Side of Dimensions ramps up the Kaibawanking a thousand times over. He's always five steps ahead of everyone else in the movie. Everything that happens is all according to keikaku for him. He very, very strongly comes off as a Gary Stu at times that's just SO MUCH better and greater than everyone around him.

On a scale of 0 to Kaiba, where is Reiji? :v:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Like a 6 or a 7 since he only finally loses to Yuya at the end and usually has some "I planned this out from the beginning :smuggo:" thing going on.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
He's more Xanatos smug than Kaiba smug sadly. He's basically a 4 on the Kaiba scale in all the ways that matter.

He couldn't even kill his lovely abusive dad by himself. That's a poo poo Kaiba.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

On a scale of 0 to Kaiba, where is Reiji? :v:

Reiji is a worse Kaiba with a way cooler deck. :colbert:

His cardsona is way cooler than 'Kaibaman' ever was, too. :colbert:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In this week’s SEVENS Luke/Rook/Whatever he’s supposed to be called duels a pigeon, I love this show.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I really enjoyed this week's episode! I was worried that the new Maximum cards would contradict lore in a very obvious way, but the episode properly explained how it all fit together in a way that makes complete sense in-universe. Then Asana vs Yuga once again played to each characters' strengths, and seeing just how happy Asana is during the duel is heartwarming.

That the whole "these cards are very unstable" thing paid off in the duel was unexpected really, I think we haven't had that happen since the first Reiji duel. It leaves me wondering how this will continue.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Eternal Overtime
Unpaid Wages
Disposable Employees!
I'll push onward on the red carpet of harassment and refuse to comply with company policy!

Shining Black Corporate King Arktalk the Corrupt's inauguration!

Okay, I found my new, new main... He's even got a giant cigar!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

PowerBeard posted:

Eternal Overtime
Unpaid Wages
Disposable Employees!
I'll push onward on the red carpet of harassment and refuse to comply with company policy!

Shining Black Corporate King Arktalk the Corrupt's inauguration!

Okay, I found my new, new main... He's even got a giant cigar!

Is this from a recent episode? I haven't kept up in a while..

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ThermoPhysical posted:

Kaizo died like six or eight episodes ago and didn't really show up again beyond Yuga allegedly fixing him in the background. He came back with a vengeance in the most recent episode.

I caught up a couple days ago. Still really, really good. Very into the current arc. The first 3 always introduce the main antagonist early-ish on as an overwhelming force that is too powerful for our heroes in their current state, but this arc that role goes to... the ethereal reasons relationships can end. Greed, change in discipline, unrequited love, all leading to Luke vs Yuga since Luke's sadness over Yuga not dueling alongside him has been building the whole time. It's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

The most recent episode in fact. Watch SEVENS, it’s good (if not one of the best seasons in a while for that matter)