Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
If Applimon is one of the best Digimon for giving love to the MotW formula and excelling at it, SEVENS is one of the best YGOs for giving love to its ensemble cast. Its been a complaint for like twenty years that yugiohs have the main character hog too much duel time, and here all sorts of characters get to fight, leading to interesting matchups, and help advance the story for the heroes, and in the leadup to that get to feel like living, breathing characters who do their own things according to their character. Like a archeologist gimmick kid ending up as a loan shark for very natural, plot-related reasons.

Very much an all ages show where it's great for the kids, but if you're a jaded old fan, it's got you covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MorningMoon posted:

If Applimon is one of the best Digimon for giving love to the MotW formula and excelling at it, SEVENS is one of the best YGOs for giving love to its ensemble cast. Its been a complaint for like twenty years that yugiohs have the main character hog too much duel time, and here all sorts of characters get to fight, leading to interesting matchups, and help advance the story for the heroes, and in the leadup to that get to feel like living, breathing characters who do their own things according to their character. Like a archeologist gimmick kid ending up as a loan shark for very natural, plot-related reasons.

Very much an all ages show where it's great for the kids, but if you're a jaded old fan, it's got you covered.

And much like Appmon, it changed the basic format so I'm pretty sure it'll just get ignored and forgotten forever despite being of high quality. Sad, especially considering I love both the Appmons and Rush Duels.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s just so refreshing to have a YGO series that doesn’t take itself too seriously and just has fun with the concept (also the other characters get multiple moments to shine so it’s not just Yuga). I don’t think we’ve had a show like this since GX

If the current tone keeps up the whole way through and doesn’t suddenly go completely off the rails like Arc-V did than SEVENS will easily become one of my all time favorites.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I like that the cast gets a bigger slice of the show like GX but much like GX the actual duels all kind of suck and aren't fun and the actual plot, while everyone gets a hand in it, is kind of nothing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I like that the cast gets a bigger slice of the show like GX but much like GX the actual duels all kind of suck and aren't fun and the actual plot, while everyone gets a hand in it, is kind of nothing.

True, the duels are probably one of the weakest parts of the show (which is a problem considering that’s the whole point) but the cast makes up for it in my opinion.

Granted, the average YGO series is over 100 episodes long so there’s still plenty of time for things to go off the rails but so far I’ve been having fun with it at least.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Larryb posted:

True, the duels are probably one of the weakest parts of the show (which is a problem considering that’s the whole point) but the cast makes up for it in my opinion.

Granted, the average YGO series is over 100 episodes long so there’s still plenty of time for things to go off the rails but so far I’ve been having fun with it at least.

The biggest problem with the overall plot is it's entirely about the continued existence of Rush Duels, which just isn't interesting. I'm not gonna write off the possibility that they transition to something else at the 100 episode mark, but so far the show is entirely carried by individual episodes and characters - which isn't a bad thing, but - the main plot is so lame it may as well not exist.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Really nice episode this week as we finally start the finals. Roa's character arc is a bit rushed, but his and Romin's clash feels true, and the episode used music perfectly to hit the right emotional notes - fitting, considering it was, essentially, a RoaRomin concert, as it itself points out. While it was obvious Romin had to win (because there's no way Gakuto can beat Neil) it still felt like the logical endpoint of their character arc together, and the duel showing how Roa progressed from someone that didn't understand the importance of those around him and sacrificed them for his sake (tributing Invasion and Heavymetal for Death Doom) to someone that understands, even if he'll never admit to it, that he needs others to properly shine (bringing back Death Doom thanks to Invasion and Heavymetal, and powering it up on top of that), plus Romin bringing forth brand-new strategies centered around CAN:D due to her strong bond with Princess G, but ending it with her original ace Prima Guitarna which also came from her...man, it's like poetry. It rhymes. And rocks.

Also Miniscape, again. Why Roa is the only character in this show with a theme song is beyond me but I'll appreciate any time it appears.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Sorry for the double post but SEVENS finished its first Season with this week's episode and honestly? It's easily on the way to become my favourite series. Of course, it can (and let's be honest, will, this is YGO) gently caress up along the way, but the first season was incredibly solid in ways that no YGO series before ever have been. With a heavy focus on the characters, with a cast that existed for more than just losing to the protagonist then telling us how cool the protagonist is, with a plot that didn't take itself too seriously, it just did a lot of things very well.

Rush Duels are a bit lame to watch, I won't deny that, but this Last Rush Duel was very much not. It was an exciting back and forth between Yuga and Luke, following two really good character-driven duels with the rest of their teams. That last part was amazing too, with Luke getting all three -gias on the field, the constant Special Summoning, and it ending with a clash between Yuga and Luke's aces while the opening played in the background (the best way to finish any arc, no matter the anime) and all with Luke winning and becoming King of Duels, breaking two rules of YGO at the same time (protagonists never lose tournaments, and the King of Duels title is never given to people that want it). Luke, who could've easily been an annoying joke character, shows his depth very well with his trust in Gakuto and Romin and how desperately he fights against his best friend. And hell, he used Pot of Greed, I never thought I'd see Pot of Greed again!

If SEVENS' art style, Rush Duels or whatever has stopped you from giving it a try - go do it. It's a series that improves on all YGO does wrong, while not losing what it does right (except maybe duel quality). I have high hopes for S2 that will no doubt not be met considering what happened with 5D's and Arc-V, but god, let me dream.

And here's the poster for Season 2 while we're at it:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I love SEVENS so far and hope it doesn’t wind up going completely off the rails the way 5D’s and especially Arc-V did since it seems like a fun show with a colorful cast of characters.

Speaking of which, has there been any talk of SEVENS getting a dub at some point? Or are they still not finished with VRAINS yet?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Back in really late 2020 a voice director confirmed they were going to start work on Sevens after the Vrains dub was all-finished, which I think it would have to be by now but it seems like actually releasing it has stalled. It's probably safe to assume they have done some work on it, but we have no information on how much.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is there anywhere I can watch it or do I have to go through sketchy websites?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is there anywhere I can watch it or do I have to go through sketchy websites?

I don’t think there’s been an official release of some kind yet but I think the group currently subbing it (EntamateSubs or something like that) might at least have a website or a Twitter or something you can download the episodes from.

On another note, who’s handling the English side of the franchise now that 4Kids is out of the picture and how’s the quality of their dubs so far?

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Currently the first season of Vrains is on prime, so the other two will probably make their way there sometime. There's also a dedicated Yugioh channel on Plutotv for the US, but Pluto's vod service leaves a lot to be desired. Wouldn't be surprised if SEVENS follows in Pokemon's footsteps and premieres on Netflix using the binge model.

Personally, I really do not envy anyone that has to dub SEVENS. It's a fun show, but it sounds like a bitch to translate. Translating the puns in Gakuto's cards alone is gonna be headache-inducing. It might even be better to just Samurai Pizza Cats it and write a new script from scratch.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

How’s the quality of the Vrains dub anyway? And are they still westernizing the character names like 4Kids did in the past or have they started to get away from that a bit more now?

But yeah, I really don’t envy the people in charge of adapting Sevens’ script and pray for their sanity.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Larryb posted:

I don’t think there’s been an official release of some kind yet but I think the group currently subbing it (EntamateSubs or something like that) might at least have a website or a Twitter or something you can download the episodes from.

On another note, who’s handling the English side of the franchise now that 4Kids is out of the picture and how’s the quality of their dubs so far?

Isn't is still 4Kids except they're under a new company name that's owned by Konami?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Isn't is still 4Kids except they're under a new company name that's owned by Konami?

No idea, I haven’t watched the dub in years

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

It is.

Larryb posted:

And are they still westernizing the character names like 4Kids did in the past or have they started to get away from that a bit more now?

They still do.

Don't get me started on fuckin' DIPPER O'RION. :argh:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is the Vrains dub a little better in terms of translation/dialogue at least (and does it cut/edit anything from the series)?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Vandar posted:

It is.

They still do.

Don't get me started on fuckin' DIPPER O'RION. :argh:

Zuzu Boyle.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

For Vrains, it seems to be a coin flip on if a name gets changed. There are just as many who have Japanese names as there are ones that don't. Helps that a lot of the vrains cast have either a western name or just go by a handle. Sometimes a name is changed to keep a pun, though (Blue Angel's name, Aoi Zaizen, is changed to Skye Zaizen to keep the "blue" meaning to her name since it inspired her handle). But then you just have characters named Naoki Shima, Ryoken Kogami, Akira Zaizen, etc.

Whether death is kept is also seemingly random, though that's probably based on whether or not the network s&p person they submitted it to was paying attention that day. Ironically, they actually added a death where there wasn't one in the original: it's left ambiguous if Windy killed his partner or not but the dub decided to make it official.

Personally I think it's one of the better ygo dubs, ranked third behind DM and GX. It helps that half the cast don't even have lip-flaps for the VAs to worry about matching.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

That one owns because you can see the logic behind it where they named her dad first and then realized, ah poo poo.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Also Dipper O'Rion is a fine translation. His orginal name was the japanese word for "north star", for god's sake.

Heck, there was a girl in Arc-V that used a fish deck and her name was just "fish".

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

iirc whats-his-face who used all the masochism cards had an attempt at censoring the more overt cards but did so in a way that just drew more attention to them

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh you mean SEEERRGEEEIIIIIIIII
and no they didnt even bother to censor any of the masochism CBT monsters.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's still funny to me Sergei only had those monsters for only one duel before being given some Earthbound Immortal knockoffs.

Like someone realized what they were way too late in production.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Kay Kessler posted:

Also Dipper O'Rion is a fine translation. His orginal name was the japanese word for "north star", for god's sake.

Heck, there was a girl in Arc-V that used a fish deck and her name was just "fish".

O'Rion isn't even a name! They tried to be clever and it doesn't worK!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh you mean SEEERRGEEEIIIIIIIII
and no they didnt even bother to censor any of the masochism CBT monsters.

The lack of fucks they had that day is legendary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q2HLPZ9fZA

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wait, I thought the poster said that Season 2 wasn’t supposed to start until July 30 (or does the show not go on hiatus between seasons, I forget)?

In any case, in today’s episode we introduce a weird lizard kid and yet another classic card makes a reappearance. We also have a new OP and ED now but they sort of lack the energy and charm of the first ones in my opinion.

I’m hoping SEVENS will somehow avoid the usual YGO curse and stay consistently good the whole way through but we’ll see I guess.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 22, 2021

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Okay, I don't completely hate the new intro. It does tease a possible new summoning method: XYZ Summoning with Utopia as a Baseball player with 2 xyz tokens spinning around it, which could make for some fun duels ahead, especially if other methods show up as well.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I do like that the new opening shows that all the cast will remain relevant. And by all the cast I mean all of it with a lot of the minor characters reappearing, which has been so far Sevens' greatest strength. The focus is on the main four + the three arc bosses (technically Luke is the fourth but he's in both groups), which makes sense, but it's neat that the rest are still there. Tiger is also given focus in the ending, alongside the previously mentioned seven, which...breaks the numerical theme, but I like her, so I hope she is still around beyond this episode.

First ep was fine. It was very much a "how do you play YGO" episode but YGO doesn't do those a lot. It was kind of disappointing to see Otes back on the BEWD when he's used different decks every duel but I get that they wanted to call back to the first episode. Swirly is nice and The Luke Man once again shows how he's both an egocentric idiot and also someone that's very good at seeing through people and encourage them to do their best.

Can't wait to see how the hell the guy with Millennium Shield as his trump card fights. Like, seriously, Millennium Shield?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Yeah, the shield threw me for a loop. Also Daedalus with it's tiny rear end arms!

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Hold onto your butts, we finally found out what that mysterious card from space was...

FUSION!!!

Interested to see where the series goes from here.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PowerBeard posted:

Hold onto your butts, we finally found out what that mysterious card from space was...

FUSION!!!

Interested to see where the series goes from here.

Said card seems to have gotten a slight redesign as well

Also was there some kind of pun in those two cards Yuo used in today’s episode (Gyakutenno Megami and Daigyakutenno Megami)? The conversation the others had when he summoned them seemed to imply as such.

Also based on how this episode ended I am now VERY curious to see where things go from here.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Said card seems to have gotten a slight redesign as well

Also was there some kind of pun in those two cards Yuo used in today’s episode (Gyakutenno Megami and Daigyakutenno Megami)? The conversation the others had when he summoned them seemed to imply as such.

Also based on how this episode ended I am now VERY curious to see where things go from here.

It goes beyond slight redesign, it was greatly changed from the Master Duel version. For one, its very name is different, going from the Japanese word "Yuugou" to the English word "Fusion" (hence Gakuto's comment about it being "like yuugou?!" (which the translation rather intelligently translated to "Polymerization", keeping the meaning)). Its effect is also changed, since it now can only use face-up monsters you control, while "Polymerization" can use monsters from the hand and face-down monsters.

What it does in gameplay terms is also changed in name, much like the card itself, going from "Yuugou Shoukan" to "Fusion Shoukan". The changes here make it more like the Extra Deck summons that came later, with English names and excluding face-down cards, though that has no real relevance to Rush Duels themselves.

There was a pun there, yeah. "Gyakutenno Megami" directly translates to "Goddess of Reversal/Comeback". Thus, "Daigyakutenno Megami" is the "Great Goddess of Comeback". Romin constantly puns on that, saying how Yuuga will bring a "dai gyakuten"/"great comeback".

That was an exciting episode. I'm reminded of Revolver's mysterious secret card being Mirror Force in how the series put so much focus on a card that we already knew about, but while it was unintentionally hilarious in VRAINS, it was chilling here, simply because this isn't basic YGO, this is Rush Duels, which as of now in reality has no Extra Deck. When it introduced its previous gimmick, it was a Main Deck one in Maximums. Yuuou brought a literal game-changer. Plus it's of a type that doesn't exist even in Master Duels. It seems like the gimmick with Fusion Monsters in Rush Duels is that they have two possible effects, which differentiates them well from the rest. I wonder if they'll go in the Main Deck though since, again, we have no confirmation of an Extra Deck as of yet.

Yuuga keeps his streak of being shocked to submission any time someone pulls off a new summon type. It makes sense, he made this game and somehow even he had no idea of Maximums and Fusions. Last time it broke him down hard, I wonder if he'll get on his feet easier this time. Though his expression definitely told a different story here.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This week’s episode featured two characters playing a real game of Yugioh (that is, just the cards and no holograms), is that a first for this series?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Larryb posted:

This week’s episode featured two characters playing a real game of Yugioh (that is, just the cards and no holograms), is that a first for this series?

The first episode (or two?) of yugioh has yugi & his friends playing with the cards at school, I think.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

rannum posted:

The first episode (or two?) of yugioh has yugi & his friends playing with the cards at school, I think.

Yeah, that was kind of the only time we got to see that for a good few years, after that it was expensive holograms everywhere.

As for the episode, it was good fun. Great to see Swirl contribute and the callback to the curry episode and the SEVENs being a series of cards that could possibly help them beat Fusion.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

We got an unexpected cameo here, the kid that crashed against Swirly in the library is the protagonist of the new Rush Duel videogame.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

We got an unexpected cameo here, the kid that crashed against Swirly in the library is the protagonist of the new Rush Duel videogame.

The new what now?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Huh, I thought they were being teasing the last Goho student.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

MiddleOne posted:

The new what now?

Rush Duel - Saikyou Battle Royale