Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
so sevens ends in april
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLKw7MCINdE

they showed off Yugioh 8, which is Yugioh Go Rush!!
just gonna wait for ygorganization to put a summary of everything announced

Been loving SEVENS, kinda bummed it's ending soon, but otoh a huge strength is the pacing, so knowing to end early is key to staying good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

so sevens ends in april
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLKw7MCINdE

they showed off Yugioh 8, which is Yugioh Go Rush!!
just gonna wait for ygorganization to put a summary of everything announced

Been loving SEVENS, kinda bummed it's ending soon, but otoh a huge strength is the pacing, so knowing to end early is key to staying good

Seriously? That seems kind of soon by YGO standards (though VRAINS was cut a bit short as well) but yeah, it’s good that it chose to go out while it was ahead. It’s been a solid series so far and hopefully it manages to stick the landing as well.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I assume 'Go Rush!!' implies more Rush Duel content?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Justin_Brett posted:

I assume 'Go Rush!!' implies more Rush Duel content?

Yeah, it's Rush Duels.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

RUSH DUEL GALAXY EYES

RUSH DUEL GALAXY EYES

https://twitter.com/YuGiOh_RUSHDUEL/status/1472033403830956032?s=20

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

What exactly is that? A movie, a new series, what?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Larryb posted:

What exactly is that? A movie, a new series, what?

The next series after Sevens, Go Rush.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So card games in space this time, sure why not

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

https://ygorganization.com/cardgamesinspace/

Very space

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Wondering if they're doing a "next generation" thing with this show, since the two Yu kids share Yuga's last name. Hopefully it's another lighthearted comedy series instead of a serious one. Considering the fact the main dude's ace is a toy dinosaur, signs point to the former.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Kay Kessler posted:

Wondering if they're doing a "next generation" thing with this show, since the two Yu kids share Yuga's last name. Hopefully it's another lighthearted comedy series instead of a serious one. Considering the fact the main dude's ace is a toy dinosaur, signs point to the former.

It's also the exact same staff as sevens, so yeah, expect broadly the same tone.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I have been playing Yu-Gi-Oh! RUSH DUEL : Dawn of the Battle Royal!! and have been having fun with it. it is very much condensed Yu-Gi-Oh in terms of game and deck sizes, with about 719 cards in the game. But the voice acting and music is much better than previous games, where your OC strikes up conversations with the cast during the duel and they do the summoning chants. The only problem is, it's in the English Dub, with no option to change over to Japanese Subbed, so some voices vary in quality.

As for the show, I'm sad to see it go, but glad that it came after Vrains, which I quickly fell off of. I hope they retain some of the fun of Sevens, even if they go back to the previous Yu-Gi-Oh formula.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PowerBeard posted:

I have been playing Yu-Gi-Oh! RUSH DUEL : Dawn of the Battle Royal!! and have been having fun with it. it is very much condensed Yu-Gi-Oh in terms of game and deck sizes, with about 719 cards in the game. But the voice acting and music is much better than previous games, where your OC strikes up conversations with the cast during the duel and they do the summoning chants. The only problem is, it's in the English Dub, with no option to change over to Japanese Subbed, so some voices vary in quality.

As for the show, I'm sad to see it go, but glad that it came after Vrains, which I quickly fell off of. I hope they retain some of the fun of Sevens, even if they go back to the previous Yu-Gi-Oh formula.

As mentioned, Go Rush has the exact same staff as SEVENS and seems to basically be the GX to its Duel Monsters. As such, I imagine it’ll at least have somewhat of a similar tone.

Also since we’re currently at 78 episodes and the show ends in April I wonder if Sevens will even break 100 episodes at this rate.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This week's Sevens was pretty cute. It was a clip show, sure, but the focus on Atachi being a mother even for the Goha Siblings, why they got where they are, it all worked very well. Clip eps are never a particularly great thing but this is a good one for character writing, and all characters involved are better for it (just skip the clips I guess).

On other card game anime, even if it has nothing to do with this thread (but it did share one before!) Vanguard overDress S2 ended. If people are unaware, overDress is a reboot of Vanguard, both seasons are really short and absolutely worth the watch even if you aren't into the card game itself (I have never played it in my life!). The card game is a bit sidelined in oD but the character writing is excellent and the plot is surprisingly nuanced, with no world-ending threats or whatever, just a focus on people growing and changing through Vanguard. Even if you've never watched Vanguard before, it has my recommendation! Also the S1 opening is so good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VxKiU9J_hg

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Since Go Rush starts in April, Sevens may wind up being the first YGO series in a while to not even break 100 episodes (though Zexal got split into two shows for some reason).

Biscats n Gravy
Jun 13, 2018

Smile.

PowerBeard posted:

So we have the following Duel Types:

Breaking News / Interview Duel Style

Carly Carmine duels.

Blaze Dragon posted:

On other card game anime, even if it has nothing to do with this thread (but it did share one before!) Vanguard overDress S2 ended. If people are unaware, overDress is a reboot of Vanguard, both seasons are really short and absolutely worth the watch even if you aren't into the card game itself (I have never played it in my life!). The card game is a bit sidelined in oD but the character writing is excellent and the plot is surprisingly nuanced, with no world-ending threats or whatever, just a focus on people growing and changing through Vanguard. Even if you've never watched Vanguard before, it has my recommendation! Also the S1 opening is so good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VxKiU9J_hg

Hell yeah shout out to other bushiroad property BanG Dream too, which Roselia is from. I love my gay music girls. And in fact, have an entire vanguard deck of them.

But actually on this topic I can't find any good way to find any opponents irl for it, none of the stores nearby carry it unlike Magic or YGO or Pokemon, so I mostly just stick to Zero, the phone game. I also need to catch back up on overdress, the parts of it I have watched are cute and funny and good.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

PowerBeard posted:

I'm 3 hours into and just so bored. At the very least it's an actual game instead of a thinly veiled sim, but this was just the worst way to showcase rush duels. Every match feels the same, because everything is so weak.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Yeah, it really does need a "I know how to duel / make a deck" button up front.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
The latest episode using the power of cringe to help your friends.

As for games, Yu-Gi-Oh! RUSH DUEL : Dawn of the Battle Royal!! has dragged so much, I decided to try the newest one, Yu-Gi-Oh Master Duel. It is night and day, it has an amazing level of polish and you can unlock so many cards in the beginning.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I am sort of curious how this (what I assume is the) final arc is going to play out though since it's clear something more's going on here beyond simple memory erasure.

Also with the new series starting soon I'm kind of wondering now if SEVENS will even manage to break 100 episodes at this rate.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Well, Episode 83 came out and we're at the end of January. 9-10 more weeks till April and the new series could be early April, so unless they "rush" a bunch of episodes to get to 100 would be kinda weird.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PowerBeard posted:

The latest episode using the power of cringe to help your friends.

Wish we got to see Asana and Neil's duels too, especially the latter since we've never seen how he duels without Yggdrago, but I can see why they want to get the ball rolling so the focus was entirely on Gakuto. And it was very emotional so I'm cool with it. This series really does characters far better than any previous YGO show.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Neil and his Goddamn 4500 attack point Fusion summon!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PowerBeard posted:

Well, Episode 83 came out and we're at the end of January. 9-10 more weeks till April and the new series could be early April, so unless they "rush" a bunch of episodes to get to 100 would be kinda weird.

So this will probably be the first season since the Toei produced “Season 0” not to hit triple digits then (aside from Zexal which got split into two seasons for whatever reason)

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

sevens still has time to prove me wrong, but it might be the only ygo series that was never bad at any point. usually there's some significant low points, (the front half of vrains and zexal, the back half of 5ds and arc-v, all the weird filler in dm) but sevens has been very consistently solid throughout. i have very few complaints about it, and if ending early means it leaves the audience wanting more, that's ideal

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I gave Master Duel a try and its controller support is hosed.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I have been playing it in Switch Handheld... Boy, does it chug. You can feel the system struggle to load assets it or make your plays!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Skeleton Mom posted:

sevens still has time to prove me wrong, but it might be the only ygo series that was never bad at any point. usually there's some significant low points, (the front half of vrains and zexal, the back half of 5ds and arc-v, all the weird filler in dm) but sevens has been very consistently solid throughout. i have very few complaints about it, and if ending early means it leaves the audience wanting more, that's ideal

Yeah, agreed. SEVENS has never been bad and has evaded the usual YGO mistakes (heavy focus on the protagonist to the point no one else matters, every female character exists to job or cheer on others, protagonist is absolutely invincible, giving up on the plot or taking too long to get to it). It'll be sad to see it go but at least I'm sure it'll go out with a bang.

It may not reach the highs of other shows, but it never hits lows, and if it ends like this it may genuinely dethrone 5D's for me as the best YGO has ever been (hilarious, considering the two couldn't be more opposite in tone)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah, agreed. SEVENS has never been bad and has evaded the usual YGO mistakes (heavy focus on the protagonist to the point no one else matters, every female character exists to job or cheer on others, protagonist is absolutely invincible, giving up on the plot or taking too long to get to it). It'll be sad to see it go but at least I'm sure it'll go out with a bang.

It may not reach the highs of other shows, but it never hits lows, and if it ends like this it may genuinely dethrone 5D's for me as the best YGO has ever been (hilarious, considering the two couldn't be more opposite in tone)

Yeah I appreciate that SEVENS has competent female characters that are almost never treated as damsels or cheerleaders, which is a big step up from a lot of seasons. It also only takes itself just seriously enough so that there are still stakes but it never loses any of its inherent charm.

I don’t envy the poor souls that eventually have to dub it though, that show has a LOT of puns.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 25, 2022

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
SEVENs felt like a breath of fresh air compared to VRAINs, where I loved some characters and then proceeded to watch the writers destroy them.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

PowerBeard posted:

SEVENs felt like a breath of fresh air compared to VRAINs, where I loved some characters and then proceeded to watch the writers destroy them.

There was so much hype for the cast of VRAINS early on.

Yusaku seemed like an interesting protagonist! Aoi seemed like she was going to be competent! Go was a wrestler and his voice actor wanted him to be THE SHAWN MICHAELS OF ANIME! Emma was a kickass ninja biker chick!

Oh, how naive we all were. How very very naive of us... :negative:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

PowerBeard posted:

I have been playing it in Switch Handheld... Boy, does it chug. You can feel the system struggle to load assets it or make your plays!

It's marginally better on PC, but yeah Switch-performance is just inexcusable.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Vandar posted:

There was so much hype for the cast of VRAINS early on.

Yusaku seemed like an interesting protagonist! Aoi seemed like she was going to be competent! Go was a wrestler and his voice actor wanted him to be THE SHAWN MICHAELS OF ANIME! Emma was a kickass ninja biker chick!

Oh, how naive we all were. How very very naive of us... :negative:

I'll always appreciate Go's deck going from a pro wrestling deck to a more traditional wrestling deck as he got more serious also this change reflecting the superiority of pro wrestling over traditional wrestling.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Master Duel's localisation is slipshod to say the least. Parts of it definitely read like they've run it through machine translation.

"Instead of" where it should say "in exchange for" is something Google spits out a lot.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'll always appreciate Go's deck going from a pro wrestling deck to a more traditional wrestling deck as he got more serious also this change reflecting the superiority of pro wrestling over traditional wrestling.

The real reason Go (and Aoi's) deck changed in season two was because their decks were both top tier to the point of being broken. Working as part of the story was just a nice little side effect of that.

(Same reason why Firewall Dragon disappeared entirely lol.)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blaze Dragon posted:

Are we convinced Luke isn't the protagonist? :v:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

Are we convinced Luke isn't the protagonist? :v:

I mean, he's the one that got his own manga and not Yuga.

(RIP VRAINS, you were so awful that you didn't even get a manga.)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Vandar posted:

I mean, he's the one that got his own manga and not Yuga.

(RIP VRAINS, you were so awful that you didn't even get a manga.)

AND he's never lost a duel...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SEVENS was also the first series in a while where the title “King of Games” actually meant something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Vandar posted:

The real reason Go (and Aoi's) deck changed in season two was because their decks were both top tier to the point of being broken. Working as part of the story was just a nice little side effect of that.

(Same reason why Firewall Dragon disappeared entirely lol.)

An MC's ace getting banned is incredibly funny even more so that IIRC Konami had to fight back on it until it became abundantly clear that Firewall was enabling the FTKs.