Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I remember a card from Arc V that literally stops the opponent from doing pretty much anything (Edit: said card was apparently the aforementioned Ivy Bind Castle), I assume from the above comment there’s actually something like that in the game?

Also out of curiosity, what’s an example of one of the higher end bullshit cards you can find in the real game?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

serefin99 posted:

and still sometimes a case of the writers giving a villain some horrendously broken piece of poo poo to add tension to a duel (lookin' at you, Ivy Bind Castle).

I haven't watched Arc-V yet, so I'm looking at this card for the first time and holy poo poo :lmao:

Larryb posted:

So are there actually some anime level broken cards in the game then or do they nerf a lot of them to make things more fair?

To add on to what rannum said, they generally do seem to bring most of the anime cards to the main game, but a lot of times they get changed or nerfed. For some specific examples, there's Golden Castle of Stromberg, which doesn't have the super strong (hacked) abilities for the opponent paying the cost and not being able to be destroyed.

However, and I may be wrong about this, I think they do try to restore or make up for this sometimes with recent stuff. The example I'm thinking of is Uria from GX. In the anime and for the time that yugioh was back then, Uria was really broken imo since not too many easily summonable monsters back then could revive themselves, and it powered itself up when it did so. So when they brought over the Sacred Beasts to the game properly, not only did they take out some of the general protection stuff the God cards usually have, Uria got a lot more toned down vs the other Sacred Beasts who were more or less accurate. Then when the game did a new round of Sacred Beast support, they made Hyper Blaze which more or less gives Uria that ability back along with some other buffs. It didn't help Uria be any more competitive or anything, but it's kinda cool that they tried to restore the anime abilities.

Edit:

Larryb posted:

I remember a card from Arc V that literally stops the opponent from doing pretty much anything, I assume from the above comment there’s actually something like that in the game?

Also out of curiosity, what’s an example of one of the higher end bullshit cards you can find in the real game?

There's nothing quite as immediately strong as Ivy Bind Castle, but there was Mystic Mine which was legal up until very recently and was pretty dang close given the meta's focus on monsters pulling the work.

Idk how ok it is to talk about the normal game in here, but as far as cards that are on the high-end of bullshit, I guess maybe Mystic Mine and Primeval Planet Pereleino? (the latter is only in conjuction with it's archetype tho)

Ventana fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 28, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, according to Wikipedia Go Rush apparently has a manga, has any of it been translated out of curiosity? If so, how different is it from the anime?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There are some examples of broken anime cards that were released later when the power level of the game increased - see Golden Castle of Stromberg (admittedly not quite as good as its "hacked" anime version) and the Numeron Network package.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Off the subject, according to Wikipedia Go Rush apparently has a manga, has any of it been translated out of curiosity? If so, how different is it from the anime?

I searched for it a bit ago, it doesn't seem like it's translated. From the summaries on Yugipedia it doesn't seem to vary much from the anime except Yuamu hasn't had a single duel so it just looks worse.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

I searched for it a bit ago, it doesn't seem like it's translated. From the summaries on Yugipedia it doesn't seem to vary much from the anime except Yuamu hasn't had a single duel so it just looks worse.

Ah that sucks. Related, did that Sevens manga about Luke ever get translated?

Also, how’s the Sevens dub out of curiosity?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Zore posted:

guess which one of the Signer Dragons from 5Ds was banned for almost a decade and only recently unbanned due to heavy errata! Ancient Fairy

And even with the errata it's looking very likely that it gets banned again!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Also tournament arcs are good. Very much enjoyed the tournament in Sevens

The lack of a tournament arc is yet another reason why I dislike and detest like 95% of VRAINS.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Vrains is the worst Yugioh. And that’s just how it is.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Larryb posted:

Also, how’s the Sevens dub out of curiosity?

IMO it's pretty good. It's already a lighthearted series so there's not much to cut, off the top of my head the only scenes I remember getting cut were Mimi drinking at a bar and her praying at a church. Since sevens is a reboot they took the opportunity to make their terminology more in line with the tcg ("effect" instead of "special ability", "attack position" instead of attack mode, set instead of face-down). Voice-wise the cast on the whole is decent, certainly no performances as bad as Yuma or Yuzu's dad. The worst voices are probably the reporter kid and Ranze, but again they're not terrible just a bit dull. It's not as funny as the gx dub, but it's also not trying to insert humor where there wasn't any originally.

It's really improved starting with season 2. The Goha siblings are all well done. Yuro's great, Yuran's a meathead, and Yuo is written even more as a litt kid desperate to be seen as a serious threat. The Lukeman is of course loving amazing. And I'm fairly certain Swirls is voiced by Chris Guerrero (Gero and Cooler in dbz abridged). He's credited in every episode Swirls appears in, and he's the only character whose va hasn't been confirmed on Twitter.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Only up to chapter 7 out of 19 and it hasn't gotten any new translations in 10 months (in Mangadex at least) so that seems to be dead.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blaze Dragon posted:

Only up to chapter 7 out of 19 and it hasn't gotten any new translations in 10 months (in Mangadex at least) so that seems to be dead.

Sounds like basically the same situation as OCG Structures. Bummer.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

How are the chapters that did get translated then?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Vandar posted:

And even with the errata it's looking very likely that it gets banned again!

They just set it for limited to semi limited.

It's not getting banned.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kay Kessler posted:

IMO it's pretty good. It's already a lighthearted series so there's not much to cut, off the top of my head the only scenes I remember getting cut were Mimi drinking at a bar and her praying at a church. Since sevens is a reboot they took the opportunity to make their terminology more in line with the tcg ("effect" instead of "special ability", "attack position" instead of attack mode, set instead of face-down). Voice-wise the cast on the whole is decent, certainly no performances as bad as Yuma or Yuzu's dad. The worst voices are probably the reporter kid and Ranze, but again they're not terrible just a bit dull. It's not as funny as the gx dub, but it's also not trying to insert humor where there wasn't any originally.

It's really improved starting with season 2. The Goha siblings are all well done. Yuro's great, Yuran's a meathead, and Yuo is written even more as a litt kid desperate to be seen as a serious threat. The Lukeman is of course loving amazing. And I'm fairly certain Swirls is voiced by Chris Guerrero (Gero and Cooler in dbz abridged). He's credited in every episode Swirls appears in, and he's the only character whose va hasn't been confirmed on Twitter.

Who voices Luke in the dub and did they still Americanize any names?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Didn’t they also print the trump card of the protagonists from the climactic 3-on-1 duel of the Zexal manga that wound up being hideously busted in the real game? Like, I remember reading that Utopia supposedly only got some of it’s better support cards after they banned it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Regalingualius posted:

Didn’t they also print the trump card of the protagonists from the climactic 3-on-1 duel of the Zexal manga that wound up being hideously busted in the real game? Like, I remember reading that Utopia supposedly only got some of it’s better support cards after they banned it.

Yeah, they printed Utopia Zexal and it was *fine* for a while until other cards began coming out that let you do stupid poo poo with it, and then they finally realized it was going to hamper future Utopia support so they finally slapped a ban on it and moved on.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

How are the chapters that did get translated then?

I couldn't say, I haven't read it. If I wanted to read something that will never be ended, I'd go back to Hunter x Hunter. I just checked every YGO manga in MangaDex out of curiosity, and I ended up only reading OCG Stories (which is pretty good and I'm enjoying it but I hope we get more stories soon, not just Sky Strikers).

King of Solomon posted:

Sounds like basically the same situation as OCG Structures. Bummer.

The last translated chapter of OCG Structures in MangaDex is from 21 days ago, so I think it's a bit early to call that one dead. It's pretty far behind the latest chapter which isn't great but maybe they'll come back to it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A new arc has officially begun in Go Rush as we jump forward two years and things take a turn for the serious, seems interesting so far though I’m not a big fan of Teen Angst Yuuhi (but hopefully this particular phase of his character won’t last that long)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

A new arc has officially begun in Go Rush as we jump forward two years and things take a turn for the serious, seems interesting so far though I’m not a big fan of Teen Angst Yuuhi (but hopefully this particular phase of his character won’t last that long)

Dude's gone through a lot, he gets to be angry about it. Not everyone can keep Damamu's boundless optimism. I'm interested in seeing where that goes, honestly, more than I am in him becoming S1 Yuuhi again - we've been shown that Yuuhi is actually really intelligent when he isn't an over-excited idiot, so now that he's become really cool (according to Yuudias) that side of him should show more. I imagine we'll get a middle-point there, where he recovers his happiness without losing growth, but we'll see when we get there.

Also interesting: Yuuga was shown genuinely serious at the beginning of his duel with Phaser, a rare emotion coming from the usually very chill That Guy. He did crack a smile when he saw what was obviously a Maximum, but even that was a very understated smile. Whatever's going on, it's serious enough to even get to him.

I'm really curious about what's happened with the rest of the cast, especially those connected to the now-enemy MIK (though the MIK was always very obviously untrustworthy, Manabu and Nyandestar aside). God, it's such a big shake-up, I didn't expect something this big, I'm super curious about where this is going.

Also the new ending rocks. The new opening may grow on me once we get an actual animation for it but the ending is just excellent.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fair point, some kind of happy medium in regards to Yuuhi would probably be best but his current emotional state is totally understandable. And yeah, I didn’t expect the show to suddenly get this serious this fast but I’m still very curious to see where they go with it (and I trust these writers to let things get a little darker without the show going totally up its own rear end like some earlier YGO series’ have been guilty of, though to be fair that can be fun sometimes as well).

Like you said, I’ll be interested to see what the rest of the main cast is up to now (especially Manabu and Nyandestar)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 4, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It’s cool when Yugioh gets up it’s own rear end.

Maybe it’s time to catch up with Go Rush

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It’s cool when Yugioh gets up it’s own rear end.

Maybe it’s time to catch up with Go Rush

Now is one of the better times to catch up, what with the timeskip and new story and all.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Now that Shadowverse is on break I do need my weekly card game hit.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft8BXgsLPVI

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Go Rush is giving me some whiplash with how serious things have gotten. The villain is not someone that was talked up to be really dangerous before turning out to be a massive goofball with no genuine will to hurt others (Rovian, The Luge) but a racist played fully straight that is fully convinced his way is the only right way, Yuuhi's trauma has completely broken him, and in a return of an Arc-V staple, Yuuga got carded after losing to Phaser (following the Sevens staple of having Yuuga get his rear end kicked to show how strong the current big bad is). The preview doesn't make it any better, with it focusing on Yuuna's relationship with Yuuga and, from what we can see, it'll be treated more seriously than her bizarre crush on Rovian. Also the preview makes it clear that That Guy is indeed Yuuga, finally showing him in his usual Sevens outfit - not like there was a single chance he wasn't.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Recent talk in the Final Fantasy thread of all places makes me want to go through Battle City again.

Best tournament arc I've ever seen in a shounen, IMO.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Just wrapped up GX Season 3. That was a wild loving ride, man. I'll spoiler bar the whole thing for people who aren't interested, and because I'm just going to talk loosely about the whole thing with no actual regard for spoilers.

I had a few complaints, but compared to how much fun I had watching this season, they're honestly kind of minimal. First one, while I liked that the status quo was upended several times over the course of the season, the way they structured it such that it was divided into 4 equal length arcs of 13 episodes apiece kind of hampered things here and there. The second quarter, which is when they first get transported by Yubel to another dimension, honestly kind of drags on for too long. And on a related note, I thought the third quarter, set in Dark World, would have greatly benefited from an additional 5 or 6 episodes. Not that I wanted them to keep the Supreme King thing going until the end of the season, because I liked where the Yubel stuff goes, but rather the desert arc probably would have been better if half of it had gone to the Dark World and given more time for the Supreme King to be a threat. He's only around for about 5 episodes, and only duels twice. It's kind of a waste of potential. Also, there are a lot of contrivances that you kind of just have to turn your brain off for in order for some of the logic of this season to work. I did find myself on multiple occasions thinking "why does that work like that." Also, I'll talk about them in a bit, but for as much as I liked the new characters in Season 3, it does sort of come at the expense of Manjoume, Asuka, and the other "core" cast members. Manjoume especially gets the short end of the stick this season.

Other than that, though, it was pretty fantastic. Season 2 was a slow burn on the actual events of the plot, which got a bit boring at times, and Season 3 doesn't do that, things definitely happen at a much more lively pace, but they did do a fairly slow burn on building up Judai's turn in a way that was satisfying to watch, knowing where it was heading. Even early on, they did a pretty good job setting up a big factor of the conflict being about Judai and his lack of self-awareness, and inability to consider the consequences of his actions. Hell, even then, a lot of kids' shows of this type would have had him come back from being the Supreme King and treat it as a part of him that he's exorcised, or somehow been exonerated from, but they do the more interesting thing of having him accept it as part of himself, and a part that makes him who he is. I don't think it's a perfect character arc, there's little bits and pieces all over I was raising an eyebrow about, as I'm sure everyone did, but overall, it was shockingly* well done.

*"Shocking" in the sense that, if I had watched this when it were new, I would have been surprised by it, but watching in 2023 I had enough vague foreknowledge about where things were headed that I probably was incapable of being properly surprised.

I also want to mention that they do a pretty great job of integrating the four new guys into the cast. O'Brien, Jim, Amon, and Johan could have easily felt like awkward new hangers-on who didn't feel like they belonged. Maybe some people consider Johan the Poochy of season 3, idk, but in general I thought all 4 of them were great additions. Jim and Johan immediately gravitating toward the main group and making fast friends with them was fun, while O'Brien was pretty frosty for the bulk of the first half, only to wind up being the one to save Judai from himself (with help from Jim, of course) which was great. I also really enjoyed Amon's sort of, parallel path through the story, weaving in and out of contact with the rest of them, being up to his own stuff, which winds up leading to facing Yubel for his own reasons, entirely separate from that of Judai and the others. It was interesting, for sure. Also their decks all made for pretty interesting duels, although I have no loving idea how Jim's Fossil monsters work.

Overall I had a ton of fun with it. poo poo was nuts. Judai is an incredible protagonist, big fan. Will check back in after S4.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

TriffTshngo posted:

I also want to mention that they do a pretty great job of integrating the four new guys into the cast. O'Brien, Jim, Amon, and Johan could have easily felt like awkward new hangers-on who didn't feel like they belonged. Maybe some people consider Johan the Poochy of season 3, idk, but in general I thought all 4 of them were great additions. Jim and Johan immediately gravitating toward the main group and making fast friends with them was fun, while O'Brien was pretty frosty for the bulk of the first half, only to wind up being the one to save Judai from himself (with help from Jim, of course) which was great. I also really enjoyed Amon's sort of, parallel path through the story, weaving in and out of contact with the rest of them, being up to his own stuff, which winds up leading to facing Yubel for his own reasons, entirely separate from that of Judai and the others. It was interesting, for sure. Also their decks all made for pretty interesting duels, although I have no loving idea how Jim's Fossil monsters work.

Overall I had a ton of fun with it. poo poo was nuts. Judai is an incredible protagonist, big fan. Will check back in after S4.

The issue isn't how they get integrated, the issue is they completely dominate the cast. That's always been the issue with Yugioh plot's after DM, not that the new characters wont be hanger-ons, but that the old ones turn into hanger-ons who exist merely out of continuity. No character takes such a gigantic loving swan-dive than Manjoume, who essentially could just not be in Season 3 and nothing would change, despite having quite a lot of interaction all through Season 1 and 2. I mean the better example in GX in general is Misawa who they just have no idea what they're doing with him.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I liked Jim. hosed up he never returned.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Onmi posted:

The issue isn't how they get integrated, the issue is they completely dominate the cast. That's always been the issue with Yugioh plot's after DM, not that the new characters wont be hanger-ons, but that the old ones turn into hanger-ons who exist merely out of continuity. No character takes such a gigantic loving swan-dive than Manjoume, who essentially could just not be in Season 3 and nothing would change, despite having quite a lot of interaction all through Season 1 and 2. I mean the better example in GX in general is Misawa who they just have no idea what they're doing with him.

Yeah but I mean out of them I really only cared about Manjoume and Asuka at this point anyway. Shou, Kenzan, and Fubuki all just kind of suck, and I find it impossible to care about Misawa after what they did to him in S2.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And the second arc of Go Rush has come to a close, that was pretty good overall with a lot of good character moments and direct nods to Sevens (such as Yuuga’s name finally being revealed to the cast).

I have no idea what’s in store for Act 3 but based on the preview it seems we’re going back to more lighthearted material for the time being

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

don't let your guard down with lighthearted episodes in this show, the episode where they had a summoning chant contest contains a major piece of foreshadowing for the arc we just concluded & is likely to come up again before long since nyandestar is still a cat & they seem to just have her card lying around too

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Skeleton Mom posted:

don't let your guard down with lighthearted episodes in this show, the episode where they had a summoning chant contest contains a major piece of foreshadowing for the arc we just concluded & is likely to come up again before long since nyandestar is still a cat & they seem to just have her card lying around too

The most recent episode also ended on a zoom in to the card making machine to reveal some kind of dark energy inside which I imagine will come into play during the next half

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Skeleton Mom posted:

Just don't let your guard down with this show period, it pretends it's a silly no-stakes everyone's an idiot show like Sevens and then it's one of the harshest shows in the franchise with wars, implied deaths from non-card-game-related things, racism and genuine fear for what the future will hold and how you may need to leave everyone you love behind.

And while taking that with the utmost seriousness as it deserves, it hits you in the gut with the silliest, most ridiculous joke ever so you lower your guard again.

This show is monstruous and I love it so much. I haven't watched the last episode yet but I've wanted to post about all of the rest, the thread seemed completely dead though. This arc was so good in every way, between the very realistic fear of cops being extremely racist, Yuuhi's growth, Yuamu never giving up, Yuuga's reveal and just how much has been going on inside his head to the point that the perpetually-happy and super chill guy is very much not that, it was just so good.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

i am loving how much of the stuff from sevens gets fleshed out in go rush. the fax machines & other old tech being used next to AI drones and solid vision, mimi's out-of-time bubble era nostalgia, all of that now makes perfect sense in light of yuuga causing a time paradox, advancing the technology he brought with him by generations but leaving everything else pretty much the same

the only bad thing is it is now hard to recommend starting your watch with go rush. I'm sorry, you have to watch sevens first. you have to watch sevens and become endeared to the characters and setting and then you can watch go rush. this isn't like GX where there's only a few connecting points with the previous series, go rush and sevens are deeply woven together and it's the best yugioh anime has ever been and it's not close

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

There's also the fact that Luke's bizarre powers, which were always a very funny joke, now make perfect sense, and it also makes sense why Yuuga could never understand them despite being so intelligent. They have a perfectly scientific explanation - he's part-incarnation of negativity, he's far less dangerous than his ancestor The Lugh was, but he still has some power in him that triggers in very specific situations (namely, with the broken watch, which we were told specifically only worked for the Kamijou family with no explanation as to why before, but it means that Tiger and the rest of his family should theoretically be able to do the same). And the more bizarre individuals in the world like the bunch of identical, yet themed after different things, women around - they're all alien-descendants.

What we still don't know is what's up with the Oudous, which the series keeps tempting us with but not answering. There's also Phaser suddenly losing his memories which it never explained, it's obviously all setup for the next arc and I can't wait. This show is so good at setting up plot points, sometimes very subtly.

God I have so many feelings but I think I'll just quote this instead.

Skeleton Mom posted:

go rush and sevens are deeply woven together and it's the best yugioh anime has ever been and it's not close

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kind of curious if Sevens and Go Rush were planned in conjunction with one another since as mentioned, all the pieces fit together really well (they even kind of explained away how Yuuga creating Rush Duels in the past didn’t nullify his present)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Kind of curious if Sevens and Go Rush were planned in conjunction with one another since as mentioned, all the pieces fit together really well (they even kind of explained away how Yuuga creating Rush Duels in the past didn’t nullify his present)

I doubt they were planned together from the very beginning, but I imagine the last arc of Sevens was written with full intentions of following it with Go Rush, since technically it's a midquel happening between Yuuga disappearing with Otes and Yuuga returning (without Otes). They either rolled with it extremely well, or willingly saved some plot points they intended to use in Sevens for Go Rush once a sequel was confirmed.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

i wouldn't be shocked if they had go rush written before sevens started airing, given the biggest mystery still remaining is the relic from the first episode of sevens that yuuga used to code rush duels, which has featured prominently in go rush as the velgear respawn point & the thing turning people into cards after they lost to a maximum. i would guess that the next arc is going to address all or some of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

also i can finally say the joke I've been sitting on for months since i guessed the direction this arc would take

sawatari would have beat zarc if he put crow in his deck