Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:siren: Qualifying starts tonight at 6 p.m. ET, streaming on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/australianopentv :siren:

http://www.ausopen.com/index.html

The first slam of the year begins Monday, January 19 and ends Sunday, February 1. Subtract 16 hours for U.S. Eastern Time a.k.a. Jan 18 - Jan 31.

TV coverage starts at 7 p.m. ET every day on ESPN2 with additional coverage on http://www.watchespn.com. The AO website and app also offer radio streams which are very good.

Draws

Top 8 Men's Betting Favorites (Ladbrokes)
N Djokovic evens
R Federer 11/2
A Murray 7/1
R Nadal 8/1
S Wawrinka 14/1
K Nishikori 14/1
G Dimitrov 20/1
T Berdych 40/1

Top 8 Women's Betting Favorites (Ladbrokes)
S Williams 5/2
M Sharapova 11/2
Simona Halep 7/1
C Wozniacki 10/1
V Azarenka 12/1
P Kvitova 12/1
Eugenie Bouchard 12/1
A Radwańska 20/1

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Men's draw: http://www.ausopen.com/en_AU/scores/draws/ms/msdraw.pdf
Women's draw: http://www.ausopen.com/en_AU/scores/draws/ws/wsdraw.pdf

Please give me Delpo vs Monfils in the second round! :banjo:

New fantasy tennis game for the entire season: http://racketrally.com
Ben Rothenberg just posted it on twitter. I'll sign up and check it out, might be fun? I dunno. :chord:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Time for another year of death to all doping Spainards, hell yeah.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rafa is on Roger's side of the draw. Assuming Rafa doesn't get knocked out early, Roger should exit in the semis. I don't know why people talk about Murray being much of an obstacle to Roger. He hasn't beaten Roger since the AO in 2013, during his run of majors.

We could get Nishikori/Djoker in the semis in a rematch of the US Open semis, which Nishikori won, but after that loss, I fully expect Djoker to be primed for the kill. Alternatively, if Stan plays well, we could get a Stan/Djoker semi, and we know how amazing those matches are.

The big thing is that we could get another Rafa/Djoker final, and if the draws hold to form, Rafa would be the immediately fresher of the two, but that ultimately didn't matter in 2012.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jan 16, 2015

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
@scambers73: Press conference for @delpotrojuan at 12pm - reports he stopped practice with more wrist trouble. Sad news if he's pulling out

God loving damnit! :smith:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

yup Del Potro is out. Sounds like Djokovic is battling some kind of illness as well, that could open up his side of the bracket a bit.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

OP updated with the draws (finally). Only 7 hours to go!!!

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I would just like Milos to make 1 grand slam final (and maybe win, but unlikely --- I'm hopeful though), and Genie to just win all 4 (or at least one) :allears:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Halep was looking pretty good at the end of 2014, so I'll probably see how she's doing.

The same with Rafa... except the total opposite

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

djokovic is definitely going to win

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Did anyone see Djokovic/Karlovic match recently? Djoko still doesn't understand that he can't hit the ball from his opponent's side and the umpire sat there like a potato.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bencic looks like poo poo against Goerges, down 2-6 1-4.

Gajdosova is painting the lines, presumably gets Halep next. Could be a barn burner.

edit: Welp, Bencic loses 2 and 1. Looks like Hingis is a poo poo coach.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 19, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Woah, Murray signed with Under Armour? I remember hearing people say Adidas wouldn't let him go because they wanted to keep the UK market. Plus the Team GB stuff.

I bet they're really regretting signing him instead of Djokovic back in the day.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I love Novak's Uniqlo stuff because Uniqlo is cheap as hell

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Alain Post posted:

I love Novak's Uniqlo stuff because Uniqlo is cheap as hell
His stuff isn't cheap though. As expensive as adidas and Nike gear.

edit for clarification

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 19, 2015

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Josh Lyman posted:

His stuff isn't though. On par with adidas and Nike gear.

Oh yeah, I just mean their clothes in general.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Uniqlo's clothes are decent for the price.

Murray's logo is poo poo. Does he need a logo?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Sodium Chloride posted:

Uniqlo's clothes are decent for the price.

Murray's logo is poo poo. Does he need a logo?

177 on an undercover cop?

Edit: Ana Ivanovic is looking all right, hope her comeback continues to be a thing

Edit: Well and she started imploding right as I posted, will possibly get bounced by a qualifier

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 19, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Apparently ESPN has coverage of all the majors. I'm actually really happy about that. No Mary Carillo, no half-assed coverage of the US Open by CBS, and all the TV courts streaming on WatchESPN. :getin:

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Ivanovic goes out. She (surprise!) double faulted her way out of a good position. It's a shame as the rest of her game is good.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Lisicki in trouble against Mladenovic also. Not that big of shock, Kiki's alright.

Edit: Caroline Garcia beat Kuznetsova too. Got a nice chunk of cash on that match :france:

fancyclown fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 19, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Why would Murray wear a black cap and shorts in this heat? C'mon Muzza, you're supposed to be smart!

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I flipped to espn2 to see what was going on and this American woman was just vomiting on the court and now they have to clean it up. Tennis!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Vomiting seems to be the sign of an interesting match, at least

Edit: Throwing up on the court so that they have to take time to clean it up was a savvy veteran move

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 19, 2015

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I respect Eugenie Bouchard for her tennis playing skills and just as a person generally.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
So it appears as though all but one Australian play on day 1 and the only one who is playing on day 2 is Hewitt?

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
Uh they're hyping the poo poo of Nick Kyrgios. He's destined to crash and burn painfully here.

Gulbis has the dumbest looking forehand.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Josh Lyman posted:

Rafa is on Roger's side of the draw. Assuming Rafa doesn't get knocked out early, Roger should exit in the semis.

isn't Nadal garbage rear end now tho

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

For the first time in recent memory there are no bullshit hot days scheduled, at least for the first week. This time last year we were rocking 3 consecutive days of 40+ degree temps.

stranger danger
May 24, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Apparently ESPN has coverage of all the majors. I'm actually really happy about that. No Mary Carillo, no half-assed coverage of the US Open by CBS, and all the TV courts streaming on WatchESPN. :getin:

Tell me this means no more Dick Enberg :pray:

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
Kokkinakis is going to end up a really good player. He has the pressure tennis that 18 year olds just don't.

Wow saved 5 match points on his serve there. Some amazing shots and clutch serves. Tie breaker time in the 4th set. Watch this match if you aren't.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
Haha Kokkinakis wins the set. What a little champion. Gulbis is going to have to contend with some demons now.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Gulbis has a reaaaaaally weird backswing

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

This Kokkinakis match is awesome.

Bah, i forgot how much of a timesink the Aus Open is. Late to bed every night for the next two weeks

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
Kokkinakis wins!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Homestar Runner posted:

isn't Nadal garbage rear end now tho
Nah, he's just injured a lot. But even at 90%, you have to take him over everyone except for Djokovic.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
Best Round 1 at a slam for the Aussies in a long time I dare say. A whole bunch of nuffies got through somehow as well as some decent young guys in Tomic, Kokkinakis and Kyrgios. Now for Hewitt's annual round 1 exit.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sloane/Vika is first on Hisense. Tune in at 7pm New York time for a barn burner!

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
That's a bullshit first round match-up lol.

I can't believe how little interest there is in this thread. Sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

MacDougall posted:

That's a bullshit first round match-up lol.

I can't believe how little interest there is in this thread. Sad.
Nobody cares about the first rounds.

Actually no one generally cares about the tennis threads in SAS anyway, but usually the 8 or so posters will show up once the quarters are set.

• Locked thread